Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 896 (Who?), Viewed: 90265 times.
Page 36 of 36
Forum Resident
#876 Old 21st Sep 2014 at 1:59 PM
@ Gabrymato, that (risotto with Prosecco and scallops) looks delicious!

It's pretty early in the morning for me right now, so what I'll be eating in a little while is nothing too exciting - oat bran (the needs cooking kind) and some blueberries.

"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."
Field Researcher
#877 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 5:50 PM
To make up for my pumpkin pie fiasco, I decided to make a simple apple cake.
So while I was browsing for ideas on the Internet I found this interesting Apple Coffee Cake on Martha Stewart's site. While I was looking at the ingredients and saw no coffee, I realized that it was not an "Apple Coffee" Cake as I thought, but rather an "Apple" Coffee-cake.
I didn't know coffee-cake was a thing.
So basically I scrapped that recipe, replaced milk with caffèlatte in my usual go-to recipe and made an actual Apple & Coffee cake, now suck on that Martha!

And it's very good, buttery and moist just as I like it

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Forum Resident
#878 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 3:14 AM
More stovetop cooking! Sauerkraut, polish sausage, apples, green bell peppers, red onions, and (as seems to happen a lot) a couple cloves of garlic... probably the most colorful sauerkraut dish I've made thus far! Plus a couple of smashed potatoes with butter and salt, candied apples as my "salad," and a tall glass of ice-cold cider to go along with. And then obviously Scotch and chocolate cake for dessert!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
Are you really surprised we lied about having cookies?
Of course you don't get a cookie!
staff: moderator
#879 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 3:28 AM
Gabrymato - yes, coffee cake is a thing. At least in the US- although I think it used to be more of a thing when I was growing up. It was very common to go visiting someone and they'd offer you coffee and cake.. coffee cake, that is. No actual coffee involved (usually) except for the coffee that's served with it. And now that I've typed this, I really really want some cinnamon streusel coffee cake. Too bad I'm not much into baking. *sigh*

BlogSpot
LJ
tumblr
Animated Fairy Lamp <---Latest Blog Download
Under The Stairs Storage Part 2 <---Latest tumblr Download
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#880 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 11:34 AM
Black beans and rice with chopped leeks (didn't have any onions), carrots, garlic, and tomato.

" Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." -Dalai Lama
Scholar
#881 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 3:11 PM
I made a jam cake and a pumpkin quick bread. I try to bake 2 things at a time in my oven to save on electric. Extra cakes are always welcome here.

If you really put a small value upon yourself, rest assured that the world will not raise your price. ~Author Unknown
Forum Resident
#882 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 2:50 AM
I got tired of using up my end-of-season harvest from my garden by just putting the veggies in salads, and this week I have a dozen eggs from one of my neighbor's chickens (Yes, one of my neighbors has chickens- and the eggs from these birds are so much better than from the market!). Ergo, the logical dish is an omelette... just like so many of my Sims have for breakfast every day! Three eggs, half of one of my little bell peppers, half of one of the small red onions I grew, a few cherry tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and the last bits of pork loin that have been sitting in my fridge, (Most useful culinary skill I've ever found- being able to find new things to make using leftovers as an ingredient, instead of just re-heating leftovers themselves!) and then a bit more grated cheese and uncooked onion on top once it was cooked.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
Are you really surprised we lied about having cookies?
Of course you don't get a cookie!
Instructor
#883 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 3:48 AM
I've been working in my University's dining hall for a few weeks, and they finally let me into the kitchen! Fine, I was essentially a line cook, but STILL. I GOT TO COOK.

Not quite sure how to describe what I was cooking, though. I browned onions and celery in a frying pan with a l'il garlic, oil, and salt and pepper, then added rice and dried cranberries. Not a stir-fry, not fried rice. It was a side dish to roasted squash and people were really digging the rice, which I am taking full credit for because half of how anything tastes is in the seasoning, which was left to my discretion.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#884 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 8:29 AM
Sounds like a "pilaf". I love onions, celery, and dried cranberries with rice. The garlic would only make it better! Almond slivers would also have been really good with that combination.

How fun to work in the kitchen!

Forum Resident
#885 Old 27th Sep 2014 at 1:56 PM
@ Gabrymato and mustluvcatz, I didn't really think coffee cake was a thing anymore either, until I was at Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago and someone in the bakery department put a few of them out (it was labeled as a 'new' item). It was 'Apple Coffee Cake' and they all were still warm too. Seeing as I haven't had coffee cake in more than 10 yrs, I just had to buy one. Though it was delicious (ended up freezing half of it), I'd forgotten how heavy/rich these types of cakes/breads are.

As for what's on the menu today - right now I'm eating butternut squash soup and applesauce (on the side) for breakfast - just had a taste for it and my husband and I are going mountain biking in a couple of hours...so it's something light on the stomach too.

For dinner tonight, I think I'm going to finally make something new from one of the many recipes I've been saving (hoarding). It's a tuna (sans the tuna of course) recipe for vegetarians http://www.thekitchn.com/vegetarian...pea-of-t-114022.

Hope everyone has a great day!

"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections."
Mad Poster
#886 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 1:33 PM
The fruit of this morning's work:

I love yeast cooking. That's our bread done for the week though there's a loaf missing (same as the one at the back) since Him Indoors likes to eat it fresh out of the oven for Sunday lunch (we do dinner in the evening - Nut Roast tonight).

Polgannon Project - Seriously, I'm still working on it.
staff: moderator
#887 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 2:10 PM
@PenelopeT - ohhhh, still warm? Bet that made it taste even better. And the store had it labeled as a new item? Huh. Although coffee cake has been around for eons, that makes sense to me. I don't see many coffee cakes actually labeled as coffee cakes in the stores around here. What I do see are a lot of cakes that are technically coffee cakes sliced and packaged as "loaf cake" just because they were baked in a loaf pan. So I can see a store making an actual coffee cake and labeling it as a new item. (If that even makes sense, only been awake for about half an hour here. My brain isn't quite with it yet this morning.)

I still haven't gotten a cinnamon streusel coffee cake and I still have the taste for it. I did get a cinnamon loaf that looked good. LOOKED. It wasn't all that great so the rest of it is still sitting in it's package. The kids aren't even interested in it. So- while hunting down tonight's supper I'm going to be looking for an actual cinnamon streusel coffee cake. If it can't be found, I guess I'm going to have to make one.

Doesn't that look yummy?

Tonight's supper is probably going to be baked chicken. I haven't baked a whole chicken in forever and it just sounds good. Stuff it with celery and onion, put herbed butter under AND over the skin.. I can almost smell it cooking right now.

BlogSpot
LJ
tumblr
Animated Fairy Lamp <---Latest Blog Download
Under The Stairs Storage Part 2 <---Latest tumblr Download
Forum Resident
#888 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 2:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustluvcatz
@PenelopeT - ohhhh, still warm? Bet that made it taste even better. And the store had it labeled as a new item? Huh. Although coffee cake has been around for eons, that makes sense to me. I don't see many coffee cakes actually labeled as coffee cakes in the stores around here. What I do see are a lot of cakes that are technically coffee cakes sliced and packaged as "loaf cake" just because they were baked in a loaf pan. So I can see a store making an actual coffee cake and labeling it as a new item. (If that even makes sense, only been awake for about half an hour here. My brain isn't quite with it yet this morning.)

The something 'New' or 'Try Something New' is just a Whole Foods Market marketing thing. The one I shop at, tends to (especially the bakery department) feature items (that are actually made in the store) they've not done before.

I've shopped at this particular location for about 9 yrs and they've never had coffee cake (nor had the one I used to shop at). So, the timing was amusing to me is all.

Hope you enjoy your baked chicken and manage to get your hands on some streusel soon.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#889 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 3:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon
The fruit of this morning's work:
I love yeast cooking. That's our bread done for the week though there's a loaf missing (same as the one at the back) since Him Indoors likes to eat it fresh out of the oven for Sunday lunch (we do dinner in the evening - Nut Roast tonight).
OOOoooo - Maxon, that looks so delicious! My son loves to bake bread. He asked for a cast iron Dutch oven to bake bread in for his birthday and I'm so curious how he plans to use it.

One of these days, I want to try your nut roast.

The coffee cake looks yummy, too, Mustluvcatz. MMmmmm! You guys are making me hungry!

Theorist
#890 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 1:52 AM
Am cooking dinner for hubby tomorrow (yes, I have to make a "date" to do that - he usually cooks for himself...long story). Having meat balls (lots of stuff, part buffalo) with gravy, roasted mixed little potatoes, corn bread, and butternut squash soup. I had it once in a restaurant and it was SO good, but I tried it once and bla.. I want a thick soup with real SQUASH flavor. Some recipes add carrots, celery, even fennel & potatoes (that WOULD thicken it, but dilute the squash flavor). Most added chicken stock, some added cream. I'm thinking just a LITTLE garlic, fresh ginger (nutmeg?), and lots of sour cream. Other than baking the squash to deepen the flavor, anyone have ideas about how to do it?

ignorance is not stupididity
Instructor
#891 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:31 PM
Eve and I are about to enjoy Shepard's pie. Not with lamb. I can barely get her to eat any meat. But there is lots of gravy involved. That always makes stuff better
Field Researcher
#892 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 7:03 PM
Just made myself a nice homemade chicken korma with some coconut rice and poppadoms. Student life isn't so bad!

EAT SLEEP SIMS REPEAT
Field Researcher
#893 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 4:30 PM
I want to share something with you guys.
Today I just got my hand blender/mixer.
No more whipping cream BY HAND LIKE I'M IN FREAKIN' 1856 (by the way, it takes almost a whole episode of Desperate Housewives to do that, enough time to leave your arm paralyzed) and chopping stuff with a knife!
Today a new chapter of my life starts.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Beautiful Dinosaur
#894 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 7:05 PM
I feel your pain Gabrymato! I once made a lemon meringue pie and whipped the egg whites for the meringue by hand... It took at least an hour with four of us taking turns! It did turn out beautiful though.

Mmmm pie

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#895 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 10:27 PM
The Barefoot Contessa's Pan Fried Onion Dip. It's soooo delicious! http://www.grouprecipes.com/53170/b...-onion-dip.html I like it with Wasa Rye Crackers.

Forum Resident
#896 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 10:59 PM
Making spinach and ricotta ravioli with tomato sauce for dinner tonight.

@ Gabrymato, I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your new blender/mixer.

Beautiful Dinosaur
#897 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 7:06 PM
Hubby was sent home from his mum's place with a huge joint of beef so we had roast beef on Thursday. And Friday. And today. There is just so much of it!

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Page 36 of 36

Section jump