Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 24 (Who?), Viewed: 6118 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 4:13 PM
Default Dragon Age 3- your thoughts?
I just came across this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Age_III

I was wondering what you guys think? Do you think it will be cool/suck?
What were you hoping for in DA3?

Origins is one of my favourite games of all time. I finished it 6 times and got stuck halfway through my 7th simply because I just didn't have the stomach for the Orzammar piece of the story yet again. I loved the depth and emotion and you really care about the characters.

DA2 was a disappointment to me even though I finished it twice. I will never play it again.
It just seemed shallow to me and I will never understand why they took away camping. I couldn't be bothered less with the characters. The combat was cool though.

DA3 sounds like an absolute disaster to me. Bioware seems unaware that Origins was great because it was so unique. This new version just sounds like another generic hybrid bastard child. Borrows from Skyrim? Really? Also multi-player? There goes the story depth.
I am heartbroken that my beloved game will never be the same.

I really really wanted the depth of Origins, with DA2 combat system. I also wanted my warden back.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 6:43 PM
They've said numerous times on the forums that they don't plan to return to the style of "sit and chat with your companions around the campfire", so I've already experienced the main disappointment I'll have in that franchise. I think it would have been good if the conversation had better spacing, so you don't trigger almost all of the conversation that exists before even making it to Redcliffe, but DA2 stripped out all of the "shoot the breeze and get to know this character much more personally" type of conversation, which is the main disappointment I had. I know that a lot of other fans of the original game also very much enjoyed that aspect, though I don't know what proportion of the total number of fans they are. But it still seems to me that Bioware is ignoring its fans a bit on this point.

DA2 wasn't a total loss in my book, but it didn't have the same magic as the first one. The first one, despite it's flaws, came together as a really emotionally involved game. DA2 had more unique characters, but gave you less ability to explore those characters, and they sometimes come off as being rather two-dimensional. I think this will be the major flaw of DA3. I love the open world model of Skyrim, but its characters are flat. I feel like I'm the only human in a world of robots, while Origins made me feel almost like I was talking to another person.

So the qualities I'd say sound interesting to me about DA3 are its open world model, that it sounds like combat will involve less clicking and more strategy (I'm thinking Origins style - DA2 style was fun, but it did involve far too much clicking and it ultimately relied on waiting for special moves to recharge), and that it will involve a new character - I adore my wardens, but I'd like to see the world from a different perspective and build the legend of a new character.

The multiplayer aspect sounds horrifying. These days, you can either get good multiplayer or good single player (if you get either), and I want my single player. To me, the best kinds of games are the ones where I'm either immersed in story and dialogue and taking part in an interactive movie, or I'm in an open world with tons of freedom to do whatever I will and create a story for my character. I prefer more story, especially from a franchise that did so well with it the first time.

I do kind of like the overarching plot. I like the idea of being a revolutionary and helping the mages win freedom. I've been wanting to break open a circle tower since the first game. DA2 saturated the conflict a bit, but, by the time DA3 comes around, I'll have been away from DA2 for long enough that it will no longer be a boring topic.
Instructor
#3 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 7:20 PM
I confess I like bioware games, but never played dragon age. Although I don't mind the shagging and adult subject matter, I'm not a fan of games which have 'gotcha' quests where everything you do has some negative consequence. From what I read of dragon age, the game's subject matter is too dark for me. I like to play good characters.... I know I know.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 7:23 PM
As long as the companions are romanceable by both genders and they make the character creation screen much more detailed (like TS3 detailed). I'll be alright.

I love Origins as well. It felt great finally being able to create the hero of this story. Usually the ones that look like me are the sidekick or some other unimportant supporting character. Though the Chargen did have some...problems but only because I can't help but compare it to CAS. I also loved that you weren't restricted when it came to romance, sexuality wise. I kind of wish I could romance Morrigan with my female rogue without mods, but ah well. I ended up making 17 wardens and finishing 12 of them by the time I became bored. I plan on buying it for the PC soon.

I like DA2 very much. I bought it back in March and i'm still playing it (though right now on PC). But only because I can almost completely ignore it's game play problems. Though even within it's story it's has some bumps. I really love that the for romancable companions are available to your Hawke (Except for Sebastian, but I don't like him anyway) since I like all of them and hated having to plan out my romance everytime I made a new Warden.

I'm very much looking forward to DA3. But this time no necessarily for the story. I'm not too interested in my character being too involved in such a big controversy. Especially since it's not going to be The Warden or Hawke.

If they decided to have multiplayer I wont mind much, as long as there are no special perks in the main game that you can only unlock by playing multiplayer.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 7:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimsLover50
I confess I like bioware games, but never played dragon age. Although I don't mind the shagging and adult subject matter, I'm not a fan of games which have 'gotcha' quests where everything you do has some negative consequence. From what I read of dragon age, the game's subject matter is too dark for me. I like to play good characters.... I know I know.

You should give it a try. I think of all the RPGs I have played Origins was the least likely to punish your choices. I like playing good characters too, on my first play through my warden was so good she even gave me a pain in the ass.

As for the shagging, you really do not have to if you don't want to. I think in my case it was more of a love story. My husband was very amused and used to tease me that I was having an affair with Alistair.

I think that what made the game so awesome for me is that you had so many choices and that it made a difference in the plot. none of my games were even remotely the same.

The subject matter is very dark though.
Moderator of Camera Models
staff: retired moderator
#6 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 8:35 PM
Make it more like Origins and less like the embarrassment that was DA2 then I'll be interested in the franchise again.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 11:25 PM
Bioware seem to have a thing for multiplayer atm. They're bringing it to Mass Effect too. I know everyone seems to want to be on the multiplayer/MMO bandwagon but it's very unattractive to me. Bioware do brilliant stories. That's why I buy the games.

Polgannon Project - Seriously, I'm still working on it.
Instructor
#8 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 1:54 AM
Never was a huge DR fan, for some bizzare reason it's an RPG without mounts. Mounts are (in my honest opinion) the best part of an Action/RPG and there too little single player RPGs with mounts unfortunetly...I'm cool with just horses!

If DR3 dosent have horses or any other type of mount, then im stickin with Elder Scrolls.

Me and Ritchie have a story blog now!

Francesco & Ritchie's Sim Stories
Scholar
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 9:11 AM
I'm not familiar with many RPGs that do have mounts. I know the Elder Scrolls series has them, and Mount & Blade has them (though calling it an RPG is a huge stretch), but I'm not familiar with any others.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 9:44 AM Last edited by opiumgirl : 3rd Feb 2012 at 1:04 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktree
I'm not familiar with many RPGs that do have mounts. I know the Elder Scrolls series has them, and Mount & Blade has them (though calling it an RPG is a huge stretch), but I'm not familiar with any others.

Sacred comes to mind but that's it.
Mind you the horses in Sacred 1 were so broken that once the novelty wore off, I tended to leave them by the side of the road and just go on foot anyway.
Instructor
#11 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 8:48 PM
And in Sacred II mounts were expensive as fuck. and they died easily. The first Two Worlds game was world class garbage, but the second one was really good actually. The horses in Oblivion were the worst in my opinion, they didn't even look real! They looked like collectable ceramic sculptures. Skyrim's horses were a HUGE improvement! They look much more realistic and actually had idle animations!

All other games with horses or mounts are all MMORPGs, and Im not really a big online gamer..

Me and Ritchie have a story blog now!

Francesco & Ritchie's Sim Stories
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 7:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon
Bioware seem to have a thing for multiplayer atm. They're bringing it to Mass Effect too. I know everyone seems to want to be on the multiplayer/MMO bandwagon but it's very unattractive to me. Bioware do brilliant stories. That's why I buy the games.

I'm thinking of it more as "EA seems to have a thing for multiplayer..." Dragon Age really isn't that kind of game. If DA3 is going to have it, Bioware would be forced to integrate it.
Alchemist
#13 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 8:09 PM
I would have liked to play my Warden in the third part, but I guess it'll have to do. I liked both DA:O and DA2, though with a big plus for the first one. I'm actually looking forward to this and, by looking forward, I mean OMFG DRAGON AGE 3, OMFG, OMG! I'd be happy with anything, but I have to agree with the fact that camping is one of the aspects which made DA:O the masterpiece DA2 clearly isn't.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Test Subject
#14 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 6:59 AM
I loved Dragon age Origins!
i'm really hoping that they bring back the warden
oh! and of course,
i'm hoping that they will bring back the ability to talk and get to know your party.
The biggest reason i'm so in love with Origins is because of the
relationship building options it gives you
especially with Alistair <3
hopefully it will have the same fighting style as Dragon age 2 though

either way, im pretty pumped to play it
Test Subject
#15 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 4:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by opiumgirl
I just came across this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Age_III

I was wondering what you guys think? Do you think it will be cool/suck?
What were you hoping for in DA3?

I am really hoping they return to a more indepth relationship with the various party members. I missed that so much in DA 2. It was what set DA O apart from and way above the pack of rpgs that are just endless battles. I cant see it working in multiplayer (eek)

I just loved the multitude of options and consequences (hehe) in DA O also you really felt like you were living a story not playing a game so much.

I too played a very very good toon my first run its fun and completely doable.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisskreuz
I'm thinking of it more as "EA seems to have a thing for multiplayer..." Dragon Age really isn't that kind of game. If DA3 is going to have it, Bioware would be forced to integrate it.

Well, yes. I guess they think of it as a potential big money-spinner (which I guess it is). However, I have to take back what I said about ME multiplayer. At least, the free version with the demo is brilliant. I'm playing with other posters from the BSN boards and CANNOT STOP. It's terrific fun with people you 'know' and can trust.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 12:47 PM
I just found this:
http://swooping-is-bad.livejournal.com/1286233.html

It is an interesting interview and gives a little insight into the creating process.
I still don't like what I hear, but I feel a bit better.
At least it sounds like we might get a bit more party interaction. I hated Cullen though and really would not like to have him as a party member!
Scholar
#18 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 1:24 PM
Cullen seems to be a bit of a fan favorite, at least among women, so I think part of the decision to throw him into DA3, if they do, is as fanservice.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 1:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaktree
Cullen seems to be a bit of a fan favorite, at least among women, so I think part of the decision to throw him into DA3, if they do, is as fanservice.

I gathered this too, although I really don't see it myself.
I wish they would do us more of a fanservice and bring us a decent story, characters with depth and multiple plot-lines and endings.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 9:48 PM
I wondered if the community favour thing with Cullen is because he had a bit of a thing for a female warden if she was of a mage origin. People tend to respond positively to handsome(ish) men who hold a candle for someone they can't have.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 7:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon
I wondered if the community favour thing with Cullen is because he had a bit of a thing for a female warden if she was of a mage origin. People tend to respond positively to handsome(ish) men who hold a candle for someone they can't have.

HAHA yes, I was that mage warden!
I thought he was creepy as hell always lurking around and stuttering when you run into him. Then in the broken circle quest he wants to kill you after you save his ass. Urgh! Give me Alistair any day, at least I could count on him.
I'm so sad that I won't get to play my warden again.

It would have been really cool if you had a choice of three characters in DA3: the Warden, Hawke or a third character for those who want to do something completely new. Then the others could be companions together with a mix of Origins, DA2 and new companions needed to make a party.

The story could continue where DA2 stopped, we can find out where the Warden and Hawke went, they can get involved in the templar/chanrty/mage war on the way to finding out what is up with Flemeth and whatever mysterious thing the wardens are busy with. I would totally play that game.
Alchemist
#22 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 7:43 PM
What I actually look forward to in a third installment of this game is Morrigan's return. She was like the salt and pepper of DA:O, in my opinion. I know we have Isabella in DA2, who resembles Morrigan a bit, personality wise, but still.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Mar 2012 at 7:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Creeper
What I actually look forward to in a third installment of this game is Morrigan's return. She was like the salt and pepper of DA:O, in my opinion. I know we have Isabella in DA2, who resembles Morrigan a bit, personality wise, but still.

Morrigan for sure! I see her as sort of part of the Femeth arc of the story, there is also the matter of her old god baby, if you did the ritual that is.

Apparently this is a major headache for the developers because they do not know how to deal with the plot fork created by the do/ didn't do the ritual situation.

It would be great if her child plays a major part in the story and you can team up with Morrigan to maybe stop/aid Flemeth. I do think Flemeth should be the main protagonist or at least one of the main protagonists.
Test Subject
#24 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 10:19 AM
From what i've read they're combining both games into one. I really missed being able to choose armour and weapons in DA 2 (Though Bianca is awesome) and that's rumored to not be in 3.
I would also love to see Flemeth and Morrigan as main characters, they were both really interesting in DA: O. Oh, and baby old god! I've also read something about the baby being involved in some way, so i look forward to that.
If there aren't any choices about races though, i will be very disappointed. And personally i feel like multi-player would ruin the story for me.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 11:03 PM
I would love to see Morrigan again and to be able to play as something other than a human. I also like Fenris to be there as I think he is awesome and Varric to!!

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn

Section jump