Home | Help | Download | Community | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 19 (Who?), Viewed: 2600 times.
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 6:12 PM
Default Programs stop communicating with Windows.
Does anyone had a problem like this and if so, did you find a solution?
I'm having frequently a problem where programs stop communicating with Windows (literally, they freeze) and this is the explanation given when investigating the problem.
It has been happening for a while and we tried to enter in contact with Microsoft because we suppose that the problem is related either to the Windows Explorer or the program indexing. We were simply ignored and the only answer we got is that we should contact a telephone nr. or website to learn more about Windows. I don't want to learn more about Windows, I want a solution for a problem that is becoming very inconvenient. I barely can use programs for a relative long time and stumble on the same issue - the connection between program and windows is broken and everything except Windows self work enough to allow shut down. It happens also when I'm visiting big websites like MTS2. It doesn't take long before everything freezes. AND I cannot organize my files using Windows Explorer either. After just a few operations, it stops to refresh and files that are moved from one folder to another, still shows as if it was not moved. I think I have a reason to wonder because my computers are using Windows 7- Ultimate. I paid a little bit more exactly NOT to have problems.
If a problem happens to more than 1 machine, it cannot be a problem with the machine.
All our computers are running Windows 7 and all the machines are big enough to run whatever program.
Thanks for any help.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 9:19 PM
Which programs are affected?

Indeed there seems to be a common factor, but it's not Windows 7. Do you still get this problem when running in Safe Mode?

"On the page, punctuation performs its grammatical function, but in the mind of the reader it does more than that. It tells the reader how to hum the tune." - Lynn Truss, Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 8:39 AM
I didn't run the computer in safe mode because I had no other program than Windows in the new computer. I had the problem in my 32bits machine and simply thought that I had freezing problems because of too low capacity. I started then to use a 64bits computer and got the same problem. I blamed the graphic card that was an old 512MB. So I decided to buy the biggest computer available, overdimensioned for whatever program existing in the market, and I still have exactly the same problem. My spouse has a laptop that was running Windows Vista and never claimed. I upgraded all computers to Windows 7 and now I'm constantly called because she cannot even read the newspaper online, a simple fast movement and everything is already frozen.
I also thought that it had something to do with TS2, but my spouse doesn't play or even has TS2 installed in the laptop. To say the truth none of my computers have the same program installed because, as I am now alone, I have no more reason to buy several program licenses. I cannot also blame attacks because my computers are not connected to the Internet, so I cannot have been hacked.
I'm working in a high tech computer with everything available to be the fastest possible and a screen half a meter big, that I cannot even use because I have to run all programs half-size windowed so that I can have fast access to Windows tools to hard close them, otherwise I have to shut down directly in the elplug and risk a 2TB hardisk.
The situation is really uncomfortable.
Site Helper
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 10:53 AM
Try booting into safe-mode to see if you still get the issue. Also, when you go on the internet with the computer that has problems, are you using microsoft internet explorer?
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 12:20 PM Last edited by xptl297 : 3rd Feb 2012 at 6:59 PM.
Yes, the only thing installed in the computer that goes on the internet is the browser and some add-ons required to see some websites such as Flash Something, Adobe Reader and others that you cannot be without anyway. None of us have permission to install anything on it, not even a decompresser like winrar. I'm going to try the safe-mode boot in all the computers as soon as I finish a work I'm doing right now, but sincerely I hard believe that is something so easily solved, once I'm having such troubles since first day in Windows 7 and I have it for more than one year now. And I do not have any piracy in any computer, everything is shiny original and every computer has own licenses for all that is used.

Edit: Have started all computers in safe mod and made several operations without any apparent problem. Then I casually stumbled on a thread at the address - Social.technet.microsoft.com/Forum, named "Windows 7 Professional 64 bit freezes randomly", that namely describes most of the problems I've been having. Didn't find any final solution and the thread was started in 2010. I didn't enter the thread because I sincerely think that it is a problem with Windows 7 actually. I'm having the same problem with 4 computers simultaneously, all running different versions of Win7, where two of them are Ultimate versions. And the last computer is brand new. So it is a same problem running free for the third year!
'Death, death, death' Until the sun cries morning
staff: retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xptl297
None of us have permission to install anything on it, not even a decompresser like winrar.

Why not? Do you mean that you are using restricted user accounts, or that you have something preventing that?

Quote:
Edit: Have started all computers in safe mod and made several operations without any apparent problem. Then I casually stumbled on a thread at the address - Social.technet.microsoft.com/Forum, named "Windows 7 Professional 64 bit freezes randomly", that namely describes most of the problems I've been having. Didn't find any final solution and the thread was started in 2010. I didn't enter the thread because I sincerely think that it is a problem with Windows 7 actually. I'm having the same problem with 4 computers simultaneously, all running different versions of Win7, where two of them are Ultimate versions. And the last computer is brand new. So it is a same problem running free for the third year!

This sounds to me like either you have an unpatched version of Windows 7 in which an old bug is manifesting (in that case, update using Windows update) or else you have something (such as antivirus, firewall or perhaps account settings) which is causing this.

For information, I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate with no issues, but I keep my OS updated.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
RUSH Headlong Flight Performing Arts Award Star Rush OC
Please check out my profile policies before PMing me! Thanks.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Feb 2012 at 10:03 AM
Thanks for your answer. No, we do not have any restriction. It was a common decision to stablish what you could or could not do to use a common internet access. When we were working together we had inumerous troubles and some of the participants didn't like internet at all. Our work was supposed to be personal and was not intended even to be shared. The decision to share was based on the fact that when you isolate yourself you also lose access to the best solutions.

The first thing I do when I start to use a computer is to connect it to internet for registration and update. It was exactly what I did. My computers have only me as administrator and as the others are no more using any of them, I'm now the only user. I can make all the necessary maintenance and upgrades when it deals on Hardware. I'm not programmer, or software interested.
We don't work on the system of stablishing accounts or software limitations because our friendship is based on 100% trust, so the computers have Original settings.

The reason that took me to post on the search for other user's opinion is that first, the last EULA from microsoft that I had to sign under, is a juridical aberration and namely stablish what I Can't, I Don't, Have No Permission To Do, Have No Rights To Skip and I'm Forced To Accept. And for second, stablish What They Are Going To Do, That They Are Going To Delete, Remove, Replace, Without My Concent whatever They Feel To Be Proper.
We have already experienced things that we do because we need and are denied by a machine that we bought, assembled, cared for and is in accordance with all the reasonable laws.
As I said, I'm not any software expert, I have to rely on that others are respecting my needs.
It takes huge efforts and massiv lost hours of work to adapt something that is meant for "normal" people, to be used by people that has some kind of limitations, even if some of those limitations make them possibly better in some fields than "normal" people.
I'm posting not to know that someone else solved the problem, but kind ask them to at least try to explain how they solved. It can be very useful. Thanks.
#8 Old 4th Feb 2012 at 10:18 PM
Quote:
Thanks for your answer. No, we do not have any restriction. It was a common decision to stablish what you could or could not do to use a common internet access. When we were working together we had inumerous troubles and some of the participants didn't like internet at all. Our work was supposed to be personal and was not intended even to be shared. The decision to share was based on the fact that when you isolate yourself you also lose access to the best solutions.

Ah, okay- wasn't trying to sound accusatory when I asked that, merely to clarify what you meant by 'none of us have permission'.

Quote:
The first thing I do when I start to use a computer is to connect it to internet for registration and update. It was exactly what I did.

So does that mean that you have the latest Microsoft updates? And you have antivirus and/ or a firewall software?

If you right click where it says 'Computer' and select Properties, what does it say under 'Windows Edition'?

Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Feb 2012 at 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
So does that mean that you have the latest Microsoft updates? And you have antivirus and/ or a firewall software?

If you right click where it says 'Computer' and select Properties, what does it say under 'Windows Edition'?

1- I suppose I have the latest updates because I follow all the instructions that are given on screen and they are the one who install things. Most of the time I have to shut down and start again at their command.
Our Antivirus is from abonement and cover several computers. Firewall is activated by the computer connected to internet. The settings are not to allow any kind of installations in the main computer except updates from Live Update. Any other modification is programmed to ask for permission first.
My new computer came from factory with a limitated copy of Microsoft Office, that I don't want and didn't have right to choose. So I want to uninstall it, even because I Have full license of Microsoft Office and never installed just because I don't need it. Sorry, I have a Linux computer with all I need and I like it best.
Ah, and the computer came from factory with a limited version of Norton Antivirus, that is supposed to work only for 90 days. I want also to uninstall it because I pay already abonements enough. I think we have the most expensive Internet connection in this country.

2- Windows Edition:
Windows Ultimate
Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Med enerett.
Service Pack 1

This is what the new computer says. As I said before, they are 4 but at the moment I'm only interested on the newest. It is only 1 week old and language is Norwegian.
The other Ultimate is English. I needed Ultimate because the users spoke different languages.

Thanks. I have problems to answer immediately because the computers are not in the same rooms.
#10 Old 5th Feb 2012 at 12:19 PM
Quote:
Our Antivirus is from abonement and cover several computers. Firewall is activated by the computer connected to internet.

Then that is where I would start looking. If all computers have the same firewall and antivirus software, and they are all having this problem, I would say that, from your description of the problem, it is likely to be an issue with those programs.

Check the settings on the antivirus and firewall- if they are set to scan every file that is accessed, it could be that these settings are conflicting with the UAC settings and causing the computer to freeze. Are these computers networked, and is one of them a server?

Site Helper
#11 Old 5th Feb 2012 at 2:01 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure, but the more I read your replies the more I think its malware or virus(es) affecting your computer. Even if you disconnect from the internet or use very sparingly, your system can still be infected through USB devices, especially USB disk drives.

It'll help me help you if you could check a few things on your computer for me.

What brand anti-virus are you using?

While logged in as administrator, Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL all together. The screen should bring up a list of choices and select "Start Task Manager" or whatever option looks similar to start the Task Manager. Once the Task Manager window is open, look at the bottom to see if you have a button that looks like "show processes from all users". If you have it, press it. If you don't that's fine. Then in the Task Manager window, in the bottom left corner there should be written "Processes: ##" where ## is a number that may fluctuate but should be constant over a few seconds. What number do you have?
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Feb 2012 at 3:43 PM Last edited by xptl297 : 5th Feb 2012 at 3:58 PM.
I'll try to answer the questions, one by one.
1- No, the computers are not networked and are not servers. They are like isolated islands and the only common programs are TS2 (all of them have TS2 installed) and Simpe.
2 - Yes, all communication between the computers are made thru USB devices. All of us have bunches of USB flash enough to make a collar around the neck. All storage are in USB disk drives, all of them in TB classe.
3 - Antivirus brand is Panda.

I have to write down the last part and go back to my computer. I'll probably have to repeat the same procedure several times.

4- Start Manager (in norwegian= Oppgavebehandling)
Processes: 44 Processorbruk: 0% Fysisk minne: 12%
I have a separate folder for the question "Show processes from all users". It shows for a short second - Processes 46 but goes immediately back to 44 and stabilize in this number.
#13 Old 5th Feb 2012 at 4:22 PM
Are you using Panda firewall too? Take a look in the settings there to see if it is blocking your actions. A good way to test would be to disconnect your computer from the internet, then completely disable your antivirus and firewall software.

Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Feb 2012 at 7:41 PM
Yes, everything is Panda Bear.
I disconnected the main computer from the internet and proceeded a full scan in all units, including USB disks and flash disks. Everything came out cleaner than my concience.
The processes driven by the new computer seem to be all System Processes and there's no activity at all. Processor Usage is 0% and nothing seems suspicious. I've been for hours in Microsoft Main Page and read all I could find. I know now that all my computers run Genuine products and I can download many tools. I decided to use different products in different computers and got interested in the Microsoft Security Essencials that would be actual for the old "Ultimate" computer. I'm not going to use it for more than some investigations and I could have it as research computer. Then I can download and install Microsoft products and connect the computer directly to them as test rabbit. The tool is gratis and the computer is obsolete, so I have nothing to loose.
Sounds like a good idea to me. What you think?
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#15 Old 5th Feb 2012 at 8:13 PM
It would be a good idea, first, to disable all the Panda software on that computer, and see if you still have the same problem. If it turns out that the Panda software is the cause, then it will make sense to look for other security software; but by adding other software now, you'll just increase the number of possible causes of the problem.

And, in case anyone has been getting confused, abonement roughly translates as license (assuming it's similar to the Dutch word).

"On the page, punctuation performs its grammatical function, but in the mind of the reader it does more than that. It tells the reader how to hum the tune." - Lynn Truss, Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Feb 2012 at 10:34 AM
Well, I can't dutch. Abonement here means that you buy a service that has different options. It is sort of license because the company that offers you abonement is not doing it self, but offering you access to products or services from third parts and take the responsibility for charging the cost directly to you. So, Panda for example, is the one that has the responsibility for antivirus, firewall and security procedures, but my internet supplier is the one that administrate costs, check if my abonement is still valid and that I paid for the services properly. When I make an abonement, I can choose to have security tools for only one computer, or pay more to have the same available to more than 1. If I'm going to use it or not, it is my problem, so long I keep up with the payment for the licensed product. As I never know how many computers I'm going to need or when, I keep the services available to all of them, in spite of I'm using it or not. Maybe you consider me dull, but there's an advantage on being that dull - you get always better offers because no one wants to lose someone so dull.
If I install another system that proves to be efficient enough (and doesn't have extra costs), I can change my abonement option. On the other hand, microsoft can afford the development of an efficient protection for their own products once they have the biggest share of the market. So I'm a logical dull, I suppose.
#17 Old 6th Feb 2012 at 11:11 AM
It's okay- I understood you perfectly. I took 'abonement' to mean 'subscription', which is close enough I suppose.

I would definitely test with all firewall and antivirus disabled- that will tell us once and for all if that is the problem. I remember having trouble with the laptop of a teacher who was using Panda Firewall, she had set it to 'extreme' mode so that nothing was allowed to happen on the PC at all! :D

Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Feb 2012 at 1:08 PM
For this case I have already two answer: I disabled everything completely in the new PC because I'm the only user and it is not connected to whatsoever. The computer froze while I was playing TS2 and I still have to play in windowed mode to have access to Windows tools to shut down, exactly as before.
The computer that is connected permanently to Internett is indeed set to "extreme", so this can be the reason. I had a chat with my spouse and we were agreed to tolerate some discomfort in order to have maximal protection. Got the same recommendation from the previous users. Our internett use is so low that we can live with some inconveniences. I'll continue asking for technical support both from the supplier and other sources involved in the abonement. It is possible that something has been overseen.
As to my new computer, I have a suspicion that the copy of Norton Antivirus that came from factory, though it was never accepted, confirmed or activated, can be in a way taking some actions that were not required. I know that if I organize files in Windows Explorer I have the option to scan the file with Norton Antivirus. If it is not activated I suppose I should not have this option.
So my next step seems logical to investigate how to get rid of Norton.
Thanks very much for the attention you all have given me. It is really helpful when you can discuss things with other people, otherwise I would not know where to start.
By the way I also found out that only one of my computers have Service Pack 1, so it is another thing that I was not aware and would never think about it if you have not mentioned. So, thanks again.
Site Helper
#19 Old 6th Feb 2012 at 3:48 PM
Wait, what? You have both Norton and Panda installed on one of your computers? Running two anti-virus simultaneously is bad enough, but I don't know if you heard, but apparently Norton Anti-Virus (2006) has been compromised.

Quote:
The 2006 source code breach -- which Symantec traced to an attack on its own network -- also revealed the underpinnings of other products, including Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition, Norton Internet Security, Norton Utilities and Norton GoBack, and Symantec AntiVirus 10.2.

source

If anyone has Norton, they should either get rid of it and switch to anything else (recommended), or make sure they update to the most recent version.
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 9:42 AM Last edited by xptl297 : 8th Feb 2012 at 11:59 AM.
No, you didn't understand or I was bad to explain. There wasn't 2 antivirus running in one of the computers. I have to go to my supplier and require a new ID to install the antivirus in more than one computer and I didn't yet. As I said, I never know when I'm going to need other computers, so I have the service available but it is not automatically installed. This is not a network with a server, every computer must have it manually installed. I know Norton pretty well because my previous Internett supplier had Norton as option. I had only troubles with it. That's why I mentioned that it came From Factory and I Didn't Activate it because I simply don't want it. It is not only the products that you mentioned, I have also bought several other products from Norton that were disastrous, including an expensive tool to partition Hardisks. I was very happy when Windows made it possible without extra help. I also said that every computer has different programs installed, so if I decide to change a program, I uninstall the ones that conflict first. I'm responsible for maintenance and my actions are the ones that repair (or cause) disasters.
I was frustrated because I really thought that it was the Operating System that was the problem and Win7 in 4 computers amounts to almost US$1000.-
Antivirus is not a problem at all, if we are not satisfied, we can press the supplier for a change. I doubt they are going to oversee us, active payers. But poor lillyput us have no means against Mr. Microsoft, this was my concern.

Edit.: everybody involved in our system is properly informed. I'll take all the actions inside my know-how and further actions will be passed on to more skilled technicians. Computers are already showing a more civilized behaviour, all the updates were proceeded and Microsoft is by now monitoring one of them directly (so long their tools can understand that we are not online all the time!).
Thanks for the help because it really helped a lot. I don't know if I must delete the thread or how it works in this section. If it is not helpful for anyone else, I think the administrators can take the proper action. Thanks.

Section jump