Home | Help | Download | Community | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 2 (Who?), Viewed: 1139 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th May 2012 at 10:11 PM
Default Are package files safe? (can CC carry viruses?)
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place--i read the rules and i think this is the right place.

I recently got sims 3 after an agonizing 3 year delay. My boyfriend finally cracked and let me use his laptop to run the game.

The only worry i have is CC.

I want to put CC into my game (No disrespect to EA but i like alot variety in my game and can't afford to shell out for sims coins)

But i am worried that if i download CC that it will install a virus on his laptop.

I have downloaded a few CC files from MTS without issue but just wanted a bit of peace of mind from people who knew more than me.

So, how possible is it to find a virus in sims 3 CC and what would you say were the most trusted creators out there?

Thank you for your time.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#2 Old 25th May 2012 at 10:38 PM
There cannot be viruses in .package or .sims3pack files.

.zip, .rar or .7z files can contain viruses, in that an uploader could include extra files alongside the .package or .sims3pack file(s). I've never heard of this happening in the sims community. In any case, as long as you have a good anti-virus program (i.e. not Norton), you have nothing to worry about. You're far more likely to be exposed to viruses and other nasties simply by browsing the web than by downloading sims content.

If you want to be extra cautious, you can look inside any .zip or .rar file on MTS before downloading using the little magnifying glass icon, to check that there's nothing in there that shouldn't be - like I say, though, I've never heard of that happening, and I know it's never happened on MTS.

"On the page, punctuation performs its grammatical function, but in the mind of the reader it does more than that. It tells the reader how to hum the tune." - Lynn Truss, Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th May 2012 at 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterider
There cannot be viruses in .package or .sims3pack files.

.zip, .rar or .7z files can contain viruses, in that an uploader could include extra files alongside the .package or .sims3pack file(s). I've never heard of this happening in the sims community. In any case, as long as you have a good anti-virus program (i.e. not Norton), you have nothing to worry about. You're far more likely to be exposed to viruses and other nasties simply by browsing the web than by downloading sims content.

If you want to be extra cautious, you can look inside any .zip or .rar file on MTS before downloading using the little magnifying glass icon, to check that there's nothing in there that shouldn't be - like I say, though, I've never heard of that happening, and I know it's never happened on MTS.

That is wonderful news. Thank you so much for your clear and concise answer. To the CC shopping cart!!

Section jump