Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 3:10 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 10th Feb 2014 at 10:56 PM.
Tower Troubles Challenge
Forgive me if there is already a challenge like this. The premise is simple, create a house comprised of four floors, one room per floor. The rooms must consist of bathroom, family bedroom (where EVERYONE will sleep), kitchen, and living room. Decorate and furnish the house. You make the house as expensive or cheap as you want, but I'm warning you, if you make it too expensive you may have to use familyFunds to make your sims able to afford it. See further down to learn how to use familyFunds in this challenge. Also, you may place the rooms in any order, however the bathroom must be placed before the top floor, so sims will HAVE to pass through it. >

Next, create a family, however you like, you may even use hacks to make more sims or make it so the family doesn't require one adult. Keep in mind the more sims you have, the more difficult the challenge will be. A one-sim family is not allowed, that takes away the point of the tower house forcing the sims to get in one another's way. Two is allowed, but WAY too easy, come on, as if this challenge weren't easy enough.

Finally, move em in! Now, if the house you created is too expensive, you may use familyFunds to give your family 4k more than the cost of the house. This is the only time you're allowed to use familyFunds. If you don't need to use it DON'T USE IT. Feel free also to make your sims have less than 4k more than the cost of the house if you do use familyFunds, but be warned that will increase the challenge's difficulty.

Goal: Fulfill these two requirements:

1. 2 sims reach elder. Depending on the ages of your sims this will take longer or shorter, feel free to make the challenge longer by making your sims younger. Obviously, one sim will have to be an adult unless you used a hack (or kill them off. You're allowed to use boolprop to do this. )

2. 1 sim has their lifetime want fulfilled.

Regarding Hacks, Cheats, and Custom Content: No cheats allowed, except for familyFunds, see above for how to use it. And any other cheats to fix glitches are also allowed. Hacks and custom content allowed as long as they don't make the challenge easier and hacks and custom content to make it harder are allowed and encouraged. See below for a list of allowed hacks and custom content that could potentially make the game easier.

I believe I covered everything. This should be base game compatible, let me know if it's not. Comments and criticism encouraged. I'd love to hear your ideas and thoughts on the challenge, especially how you handle your homes and families. And I'd also appreciate it if anybody points out any issues of holes in the challenge. You can also ask about any hacks or custom content that you might want to use, just don't overflow the comments with those questions, 'kay? If it doesn't make the challenge easier, you can assume it's allowed. Finally, feel free to suggest at custom content or hacks to be added to the allowed hacks and custom content list. Without further ado, here's the scoring system and allowed hacks and custom content list. Thanks so much for reading this far and taking an interest in my challenge, and enjoy! (My first challenge!)

Allowed Hacks and Custom Content ( Subject to Change :! :

Tiny Tikes Nursery Necessities by Phaenoh (on Modthesims)
Mod to allow Toddlers To Use Stairs by rebecah (on Modthesims) http://nene.modthesims.info/download.php?t=283709

Scoring:

1st Date: (+20 + whether date was good or bad)
1st Kiss: +20
Good date: +10
Fall in love: +10
Gain Best Friend: +10
Good party: +10
Marriage:+20
Gain Skill Point: +10
1st Woohoo: +10
Woohoo: +5
Child born: +20
A+ in school: +30
Get into Private School: +40
Promotion:+20
Birthday: +20
Lose Best Friend: -10
Fall Out of Love: -10
Premature Pet Death: -10
Premature Sim Death: -50
Bad Party: -10
Bad date: -10
Lose Job: -20
Lose Skill Point:-10 per point
Sim caught cheating: -15
Divorce: -20
Burned Food: -5
Fire: -10
Demotion: -10
Used Cheat: -100

By the by, I may be posting soon a premade home for those of you too lazy to make your own, so keep an eye for that. It'll be called "Pikachumaiden's Tower Troubles Challenge Home". Now let me just go look up a guide for that, toodles!
Advertisement
#2 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 3:55 AM
I think I played a similar version before a long time ago. Basically, I built a tall "school" building on a residential lot. For the main building, there were four floors. The first floor was the administrative office. The second floor was the classroom. The third floor was the art room. The fourth floor was the astronomy outdoor class area with two big telescopes. Attached to the administrative office and behind the building was the hallway that led to the residential quarters, including the cozy shared bedroom and kitchen/dining area. Not too far from the "school" building were the bathrooms - male and female. In the 4-story school building, I made a family of four live there: a grownup brother and sister, the brother's son, and the sister's daughter. I played the game until the little boy and girl grew up into adults and moved out of the house. The headmaster who had befriended them also moved in with that household. I built a winding modular staircase that went up to each floor, like so:
Good times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 5:34 PM
Default Interesting...
Quote: Originally posted by CrèmedelaCrème
I think I played a similar version before a long time ago. Basically, I built a tall "school" building on a residential lot. For the main building, there were four floors. The first floor was the administrative office. The second floor was the classroom. The third floor was the art room. The fourth floor was the astronomy outdoor class area with two big telescopes. Attached to the administrative office and behind the building was the hallway that led to the residential quarters, including the cozy shared bedroom and kitchen/dining area. Not too far from the "school" building were the bathrooms - male and female. In the 4-story school building, I made a family of four live there: a grownup brother and sister, the brother's son, and the sister's daughter. I played the game until the little boy and girl grew up into adults and moved out of the house. The headmaster who had befriended them also moved in with that household. I built a winding modular staircase that went up to each floor, like so:
Good times.

Oh, well that's interesting! Sorry then if this is kinda similar. Still, I feel it's also fairly different. I hope people will try this challenge!
#4 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 8:12 PM
Well, the game that I played wasn't exactly a challenge. I just thought of designing a 4-story-tall building that looked like a school and wanted to simulate a "school", where the brother and sister were the workers, and the two children were the students. The little girl got a downloaded Renaissance dress from Parsimonious.org. At that time, I liked to download period clothing, because they always looked so fancy to me - all those bows, ribbons, and flowers!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 18th Feb 2013 at 8:45 PM
This will be one that is easy to incorporate into my Pleasantview Challenge that I'm doing now. I have sim that will become a vampire soon, so I will make it his tower of darkness. His wife and kid will just have to deal with the chaos that arises when they all crowd the stairs at once and the fact that their new home has no windows. Once I turn him I'll post back with pics of the tower. I might make his wife turn into a witch to make it suit them even better.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 7:26 PM
The challenge could be spiced up further by separating certain furniture pieces that usually 'go together' onto different floors, e.g. place the stove on one floor, the fridge on another and the dining table on yet another. That way all those Sims would get into each another's way even more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 10:39 PM
Default :gjob:
Ooh! I like that idea! I might have to try it! I might incorporate it in my challenge if you don't mind, but then again I'm right now feeling lazy and don't feel like adding it in. Still, great idea.
Quote: Originally posted by Dagi_is_a_punk
The challenge could be spiced up further by separating certain furniture pieces that usually 'go together' onto different floors, e.g. place the stove on one floor, the fridge on another and the dining table on yet another. That way all those Sims would get into each another's way even more!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 23rd Feb 2013 at 11:03 AM Last edited by Mai2008 : 23rd Feb 2013 at 10:15 PM.
I'll give it a shot, seeing as I haven't done a challenge in so long .
I have some questions:
Are we allowed to use elevators?
Is this mod recommended for more chaos?
http://nene.modthesims.info/download.php?t=283709

Here is my story, just look in the more section to see what I have done so far.
http://themodernlife.weebly.com

Always remember that you are absolutely unique.
Just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead
Mad Poster
#9 Old 23rd Feb 2013 at 8:58 PM
Sounds like it could turn into.. a home for the insane? or aliens? "Humans require body-waste receptacle, device for cooling foods, device for heating foods. Instructions for placement of these devices has been lost". I'll have to try this next time I feel like torturing some sime that seems to be stupid.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 11:28 AM
Update!

Just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 9:22 PM
Thank You!
O.O You'll really do a story on this? Thank you! Yes, elevators are allowed. The mod? Sure, if you want to. What do you mean you haven't done this in long? Did someone else make this challenge first? Thanks again for posting the link and updates to your log, I'll definately check them out!
Quote: Originally posted by Mai2008
I'll give it a shot, seeing as I haven't done a challenge in so long .
I have some questions:
Are we allowed to use elevators?
Is this mod recommended for more chaos?
http://nene.modthesims.info/download.php?t=283709

Here is my story, just look in the more section to see what I have done so far.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 25th Feb 2013 at 5:00 PM
Oh, I meant that I just haven't done any general challenge- I don't think I have seen this type before and its really fun and easy- just what I want! It's really no bother for me to do the story as I just got Fraps and want to try it out. Thanks for checking my website out .

Just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 25th Feb 2013 at 10:37 PM
Default *smile*
Yeah, I realized that after rereading your message, sorry. Heh, but, yeah, thanks again, glad you think it's easy, seeing as I think I overdid it on the scoring. NO ONE'S gonna wanna keep track of that many things. Oh well, remember that for next time. So, yeah, keep letting us know when you get updates,kay?
Oh, I meant that I just haven't done any general challenge- I don't think I have seen this type before and its really fun and easy- just what I want! It's really no bother for me to do the story as I just got Fraps and want to try it out. Thanks for checking my website out .
Test Subject
#14 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 11:11 PM
I'm wondering is their scores for badges from OFB, Seasons, and Freetime as well as what about opening your own business would that count as a job or what in this challenge? I'm really wanting to try this challenge and I am just curious about those things.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 12:33 PM Last edited by Mai2008 : 3rd Mar 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Sorry for inactivity, I've been away from home for a bit- there was an update on Friday. Hopefully soon I will post another, and I will finish Friday's post as I don't think I did.

Finished Fridays update, getting a new update right now .

Just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead
Test Subject
#16 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 5:54 PM
I just made a house for this challenge, if anyone wants my house to use. It's got a bit of custom content, mostly for floor and wallpaper. It's ugly as sin but it has a garage included so your sims can have cars. My EPs are Nightlife, OFB, Seasons, Pets, and University, so you'll want those too. Happy Simming (:

Here's the family I'm moving in. I may edit in screencaps later. They're the Zebow family.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  tower troubles.zip (1.15 MB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 11:30 PM
Default Sweet
Oh, cool, thanks for sharing. I'll be uploading a house soon, too, as soon as modthesims finishes it's spring cleaning. Have fun!
Quote: Originally posted by guaranteedowl
I just made a house for this challenge, if anyone wants my house to use. It's got a bit of custom content, mostly for floor and wallpaper. It's ugly as sin but it has a garage included so your sims can have cars. My EPs are Nightlife, OFB, Seasons, Pets, and University, so you'll want those too. Happy Simming (:

Here's the family I'm moving in. I may edit in screencaps later. They're the Zebow family.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 11:34 PM
Sorry, didn't plan on any scores for talent badges. Unfotunately, owning a business can't count as getting a job. However, I may consider putting in a rule for how it can. It's just that, as of now, it's all too easy to start a business and get free points. If anyone has any suggestions of how owning a business can count, without making it easy for people to cheat and open just any old business without actually doing any work, then let me know. Thanks for pointing out those things, evefarrel.
Quote: Originally posted by evefarrel
I'm wondering is their scores for badges from OFB, Seasons, and Freetime as well as what about opening your own business would that count as a job or what in this challenge? I'm really wanting to try this challenge and I am just curious about those things.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PikachuMaiden
Sorry, didn't plan on any scores for talent badges. Unfotunately, owning a business can't count as getting a job. However, I may consider putting in a rule for how it can. It's just that, as of now, it's all too easy to start a business and get free points. If anyone has any suggestions of how owning a business can count, without making it easy for people to cheat and open just any old business without actually doing any work, then let me know. Thanks for pointing out those things, evefarrel.

To own a business in real life has lots of money to invest, correct? So to start a business cost $500, and for everyday your business is up, you pay $100. You can pay this by week, if wished. Example;

Molly has $4000. Molly wants a business, so she pays her $500 on a Friday. Molly gets her business running, and decides to pay weekly, so on the Friday following she pays $700.
(For this to work, either use FamilyFunds or use moniques hacked computer to pay to your unplayable sim, Tax Tax. OR to your government, if you have one)

You could also add if you fail to pay your taxes, its a -50 penalty or your business is closed.

Just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 10:23 PM
Default Interesting
That is an interesting idea, but, I'm sorry, not quite what I had in mind.Thanks for the suggestion. But I don't wanna overcomplicate things and drive away people who would otherwise do the challenge. Thanks again.
To own a business in real life has lots of money to invest, correct? So to start a business cost $500, and for everyday your business is up, you pay $100. You can pay this by week, if wished. Example;

Molly has $4000. Molly wants a business, so she pays her $500 on a Friday. Molly gets her business running, and decides to pay weekly, so on the Friday following she pays $700.
(For this to work, either use FamilyFunds or use moniques hacked computer to pay to your unplayable sim, Tax Tax. OR to your government, if you have one)

You could also add if you fail to pay your taxes, its a -50 penalty or your business is closed.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 3:52 PM Last edited by Mai2008 : 7th Mar 2013 at 4:09 PM.
Or just the starting fee? And an update, not big, but an update. http://themodernlife.weebly.com/

Just like everyone else.
-Margaret Mead
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 17th May 2015 at 10:20 PM
Cool story, bro
Or just the starting fee? And an update, not big, but an update. http://themodernlife.weebly.com/

Sorry! It's been a while, hasn't it? I love your blog! Gonna try to check on it regularly, too.