Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Apr 2014 at 9:18 PM
Default SSD and CAS loading times.
I am considering getting an SSD, because despite getting a new computer in October my game takes a while to load, most of it is my fault though from excessive cc. I've seen a few videos of people loading up their games quickly with one, but i wanted to know if it would help cas loading times, Because I have a lot of cc my game takes forever to load the outfits. Would a ssd speed up that and does anyone have one that uses a lot of cc, I would like to know your opinions on it.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 3:08 AM
My experience with The Sims 2 showed that an SSD will definitely speed up loading times.

Basically, retrieving data & sending it to the processor will be quicker with an SSD because it doesn't have revolving metal discs to find the information, which could take a long time for a traditional HDD to retrieve information, if fragmented. An SSD can have fragmented storage and still be able to retrieve the information quickly because it's like a USB Flash Drive. The data is pulled from microchips (similar looking to video game cartridges of the 1990s). I'm guessing an SSD has more retention in its storage capabilities than a USB Flash Drive to make it different?

Additionally, you can have a quieter computer, in the sense that the spinning platters of a HDD won't exist. SSDs are more reliable than the past too, especially with certain brands like Samsung (and some others I forget). The drawback from the past was that data can only be written/re-written so many times before sectors of the SSD would become unusable. Nowadays the number is very high, and unlikely to reach. The drawback at the current time may be that some SSDs are defective in their workmanship, but I'm sure the companies have a service to replace it in case.

So, regardless of how much custom content you have, an SSD will cut down the loading time from your game. How much will depend on other factors, like RAM & processor speed. An SSD will help to drive the data towards the processor faster than traditional HDDs.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Scholar
#3 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 10:25 AM
You can expect an SSD to about halve your load times. I recently bought a Samsung 840 EVO 250gb. I think you can get it cheapest on amazon right now.

Before you get one though, make sure your OS supports TRIM and that your motherboard has a SATA3 connection.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 10:06 PM
Well this is pretty much the computer i have: here . Expect i shoved in a better graphics card and theres only a terabyte and half. Would this computer allow me to have an SSD?
Also my dxdiag file.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  DxDiag.7z (10.1 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 11:13 PM
SSD don't help much when load pattern in CAS. I have plxtor m5pro 256gb and still annoying I have to wait. Not much different from harddisk. But when load game yep ssd is winning.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Apr 2014 at 4:48 AM
Does it matter if your cc isn't on the ssd?
Scholar
#7 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 5:49 AM
Perhaps you can purchase an SSD from a big box retail electronics store like Best Buy and try it from home first. If you don't find it makes a difference, return it. Likewise, if it does make a difference, return the product anyway and do research about which SSD has the best performance to date. Then purchase the SSD you will use for years to come.

Some SSDs come with the option of copying over your entire hard drive's files onto the SSD. So instead of going through with installing your operating system, you can just have the SSD software make a mirror image of your computer's current files. Then you can turn off your computer, disconnect the hard drive and boot your computer from the SSD.

I'm guessing that this is The Sims 3 related, so unfortunately I'm not familiar with how it will change the game play. You have enterprise24's anecdote about his experience. As long as you return the product to the retailer in sell-able condition & within their return period/policies, you can return the SSD no questions asked (except maybe what's wrong with the item & you respond truthfully as "it didn't fit my needs after all, it wasn't the product i was looking for" blah, blah, blah).

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!