Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 7:20 PM Last edited by thesims3master : 18th Jun 2014 at 10:19 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Square/Retangular spots with disappearing objects on screen
Hi, I've been experiencing this problem ever since I've installed Sims 2 in my new laptop, I've been living with it for some months, and kinda got used to it, but I would be really happy if it could be fixed . I get some retangular spots (they're not black) on my screen where walls and objects disappear, I get this everytime I move my camera (in this case it goes on and off as I move the camera and happens really quickly), and when I go to Buy Mode and move objects or place objects (it happens once and remains there for 2/3 seconds or until I move the camera). When I installed the game I had other problems too, like retangular shadows and solid blue water & hay grass terrain from the neighborhood view, but I got to fix them. I have windows 8.1.

Update: I stopped playing The Sims 2 for some time, and decided to come back to it, this time I installed each expansion pack at a time in the right order, patching them and then checking if the game was working. Anyways, I found out the problem was being caused by Apartment Life and Mansion & Garden Stuff, so I uninstalled them and now I don't have the problem anymore, the game is running better than ever before :D
Screenshots
Advertisement
Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 2:56 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Integrated Graphics
    The reason for your issue is that your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements to play TS2/TS3.
    In particular, you don't actually have a graphics card - you have integrated graphics, which is just a chip on your motherboard or processor. Most laptops come with integrated graphics, as do some desktops; and while salesmen often claim that integrated graphics chips are just as good as real graphics cards, they're not.

Integrated graphics chips are designed for people who just use their computers to read email, type up documents, and play minesweeper - they are not suitable for high stress games like TS2/TS3. At the very least, playing TS2/TS3 with integrated graphics will mean the game looks terrible; at the worst, you could permanently damage your computer.
    If you have integrated graphics, the other requirements - particularly minimum processor speed - go up to compensate. You can see the increases here, under "If you have a non-T&L capable video card...".

This FAQ contains tips on things you can do to improve your gameplay, and prolong the life of the integrated chip: Game Help:Onboard Graphicswiki
    This is MTS's recommended minimum system specs Be aware that, even if you follow all the tips in the above articles (which are targeted for Desktop models only), you will probably have to upgrade or replace your computer to alleviate all problems.

• General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue.
    • Please post a Quick summary of your System Specs
      Instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.
    • If you have Dual-graphics, please post your complete DxDiag report in your thread. And put in between [ spoiler ] specs here [ /spoiler ] tags (remove the spaces).

Please post your system specs. Since you have a laptop, it's likely that you have an integrated graphics chip which would cause the graphical errors.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by julianarosalia
  • General - Integrated Graphics
    The reason for your issue is that your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements to play TS2/TS3.
    In particular, you don't actually have a graphics card - you have integrated graphics, which is just a chip on your motherboard or processor. Most laptops come with integrated graphics, as do some desktops; and while salesmen often claim that integrated graphics chips are just as good as real graphics cards, they're not.

Integrated graphics chips are designed for people who just use their computers to read email, type up documents, and play minesweeper - they are not suitable for high stress games like TS2/TS3. At the very least, playing TS2/TS3 with integrated graphics will mean the game looks terrible; at the worst, you could permanently damage your computer.
    If you have integrated graphics, the other requirements - particularly minimum processor speed - go up to compensate. You can see the increases here, under "If you have a non-T&L capable video card...".

This FAQ contains tips on things you can do to improve your gameplay, and prolong the life of the integrated chip: Game Help:Onboard Graphicswiki
    This is MTS's recommended minimum system specs Be aware that, even if you follow all the tips in the above articles (which are targeted for Desktop models only), you will probably have to upgrade or replace your computer to alleviate all problems.

• General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue.
    • Please post a Quick summary of your System Specs
      Instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.
    • If you have Dual-graphics, please post your complete DxDiag report in your thread. And put in between [ spoiler ] specs here [ /spoiler ] tags (remove the spaces).

Please post your system specs. Since you have a laptop, it's likely that you have an integrated graphics chip which would cause the graphical errors.

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't post my system specs, anyways here they are:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Single Language 64 bits (6.3, Compilation 9600)
Language: português (Configuração regional: português)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 5437
BIOS: A03
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 2306MB used, 7069MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Processor type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Maybe the problem (besides the integrated graphics card) is with the processor type, I've read somewhere that Intel HD Graphics can't handle The Sims 2 very well. I just thought if was able to fix other problems like those I've mentioned above, this one could be fixed as well, but it seems like I'm the only one who have it :P
Theorist
#4 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 7:42 PM
Unfortunately, there are many other people who experience issues similar to yours, mostly because of the same reason. Yes, you're right; Intel's chip is not able to handle TS2 at all. Some people have it lucky with little to no EPs installed, but since you're already starting to see artifacts, it'd be best if you stopped playing the game.

If it wasn't a laptop, you would be able to continue playing TS2 if you bought a new graphics card. But laptops are rarely upgradeable, especially when it comes to graphics cards. Sorry about that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Apr 2014 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DJ.
Unfortunately, there are many other people who experience issues similar to yours, mostly because of the same reason. Yes, you're right; Intel's chip is not able to handle TS2 at all. Some people have it lucky with little to no EPs installed, but since you're already starting to see artifacts, it'd be best if you stopped playing the game.

If it wasn't a laptop, you would be able to continue playing TS2 if you bought a new graphics card. But laptops are rarely upgradeable, especially when it comes to graphics cards. Sorry about that.

I can live with that issue, but if it can damage my laptop I should probably stop playing the game. The fact that I have Intel HD Graphics chip means my laptop will certainly get damaged? If not, is there a way I can check that out? Otherwise I hope The Sims 4 is as good as the second one so I can keep playing the game.
Theorist
#6 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 9:30 AM
Check out the link about integrated graphics chips Juliana linked above.

I know that EA says they will try their best to keep the requirements low for TS4, but to be honest, I don't think they'll make it that low so that Intel's card supports it. Intel's card (as described in Juliana's link) is made only for basic tasks, such as surfing the web, watching YouTube videos, etc. Strong and demanding 3D games such as TS2 are going to overwork the chip.

Once you start seeing blurriness or more severe artifacts, it means that you may have done damage beyond repair then. You could also read this little guide to better see what I'm talking about.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Apr 2014 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DJ.
Check out the link about integrated graphics chips Juliana linked above.

I know that EA says they will try their best to keep the requirements low for TS4, but to be honest, I don't think they'll make it that low so that Intel's card supports it. Intel's card (as described in Juliana's link) is made only for basic tasks, such as surfing the web, watching YouTube videos, etc. Strong and demanding 3D games such as TS2 are going to overwork the chip.

Once you start seeing blurriness or more severe artifacts, it means that you may have done damage beyond repair then. You could also read this little guide to better see what I'm talking about.

Weird, I aways play games like Skyrim and DC Universe Online on the highest graphics and never got any issue. Anyways, thanks, I'll give a better look at the links.