Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 2:25 AM
Default TS3: Orphan Farmer Challenge
Hey, guys! My name is Yenda (Online Gaming Only). So, I got bored one day and got hooked on the Runaway Challenge, but it was too easy for me. So I thought I would make my own.
I am usually hooked on the Harvest Moon games and I wanted a farming challenge. I saw a video on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QdcclNyuYs) of a farming challenge, but I wanted something a little harder and even added a couple feature of my own that I think will make your playtime more realistic.
I would like to mention that I don't have all the EPs and Store Content so you will have to use your common sense on what to do with the extra features.
I will say that I will most likely be revising this in the future, and it will be in .zip form, if it allows me to upload it. The downloadable zip file contains only a word document for you if you wish to print it out because I know its a long thing, I barely remember everything I wrote on here myself!
Huh, I'm starting to think I made this too hard. Oh well, GOOD LUCK!

TS3: Orphan Farmer Challenge

You’re a teen and life as you know it is over. Your parents are dead (insert whatever scenario you wish) and you are given two choices: live with your last living relative, your grandmother, or end up in the foster system. You chose to move in with you grandmother in RIVERVIEW (only cause I know everyone is most likely to have it, but you can choose any town), envisioning a stable/safe/easier life. Unfortunately, it soon becomes obvious that something is wrong in your new life. Your grandmother is sick (insane) and you soon realize that if you want to stay out of the system, let alone eat tomorrow, you need to take charge of the old family farm and keep your grandmother alive while you’re at it.

Goals:
1. Keep your grandmother alive until you reach YA.
a. Make sure no one sees her being insane, they could report it.
2. If you have Generations: (Optional)
a. You need to get your drivers license before you can use the car. Failure to get it and you CANNOT use a car for the rest of your Sims life.
b. Prom! I want to see those crowns! You work hard, so you deserve it.
c. Valedictorian, make your parents proud up there (or down, I'm not sure if you made them evil)!
3. Stay out of trouble, you don’t want any sort of attention pointing anywhere near your home life.
4. Lifetime Wish
a. No Gardening, Job, Fishing wishes allowed.
5. Fix up the family farm.
At least = 3 Bed, 2.5 Bath, 1 Kitchen, 1 Dining, 1 Living, 1 Barn, 1 Car.
6. Make a profit of 100,000 Simoleans from your farm.
Profits from farm produce only (honey, milk, eggs allowed).
Don’t make this your lifetime wish, because I am not sure if it adds your home value to it.
7. Start your own family. Any form of family will do. I’ll leave it to you guys to decide what your Sims future will look like; it would be boring if everyone ended up with a predetermined family.
a. Not until you reach Adult.
b. Not until you fix up the family farm.
c. If grandmother is still alive, you MUST get married before getting pregnant.
d. If grandmother is dead it doesn’t matter if you get pregnant as long as it’s with your current boy/girlfriend or fiancé. They don’t need to live with you, since there is a chance that you can break up.

Sims Allowed:
1 Main Character - (M/F) – Teen Human
1 Grandparent - (F) - Elder Human
Other = You cannot have anyone move in until you have reached Adult, see Goals. Must be in a relationship with your Main Sim. They don’t have to be human.
Pets = 1 when age T, another after you graduate high school: 2 Total for the whole family. Includes small pets (fyi 2 fish = 2 pets!). Can get a new one if one of the 2 dies; can only replace big pets once, small pets have no limit of replacement.

Traits:
No gardening traits; that includes gardening, gatherer, etc.
Main = 1 helpful (cooking, handiness, friendly, charismatic, etc.) Nothing that could make you money.
2 bad (clumsy, loser, unlucky, etc.) Your grandmothers’ insanity is not hereditary!
1 good trait that doesn’t help skills (like love the outdoors, etc)
5th Skill will depend on grades:
A = Helpful - but no help with gardening, fishing allowed
B = Good - friendly allowed
C = Bad - Anything below this is up to the game, so don’t chance it!
Elder = Cannot have any trait that is backbreaking, no hard labor!
1 helpful (only something a really old person can do like cleaning, cooking, etc.)
3 Bad = Insane + Loser + Your Pick = (clumsy, slob, snob, etc.)
1 good trait that doesn’t help skills (good, brave, etc.)

[B]Sim Life Lengths:[/U]
No age altering substances, events, plants, etc. allowed.
Teen = 30 days
YA = 40 days
Adult = 50 days
Elder = infinity, until they die, some WILL refuse to.
I tried accomplishing the Goals with a short life and it didn’t go well.

Start:
1. 2 Sims
2. 30x30 Lot
3. 2 Sleeping Bags
4. Ground floor Cabin which is empty and falling apart. Outdoor toilet, no shower. Your grandmother has sold all her possessions to keep the land. No plants either, she has managed to kill everything!
5. 500 S, you parents didn't have life insurance, at least you're richer than your grandma!

EP Restrictions:
World Adventures = I have a problem with traveling because you can actually make a bunch of money from doing their challenges. So all I am going to say is that you must delete all money, gems, etc. you make overseas but you can keep the seeds and the major artifacts from the collections only, though know that you can NEVER sell them, if you do delete all money, it will be consider as a donation.

I will allow the Nectar Maker and its plants as part of your Farm Produce. No fortune cookie maker though.

I will add more to this section later if I see a need to.

Teen Restrictions:
1. Can only use bicycle when age T. Bought with earned money, cannot be on lot when you start, or stolen/magically appears?
a. Car must be bought same as the bicycle. Can only drive when you’re a YA unless you have Generations = Driving a car REQUIRES a license first.
i. No functional house = No car!
2. No jobs allowed, you are a teen and you need to keep your grandmother alive long enough to reach YA. Only money from anything that you’ve sown on your farm is allowed.
Includes: plants, beehive, and any other thing that gives you farm produce.
No special plants or ingredients for potions allowed! Only edibles allowed.
You can get seeds from anywhere, but you can’t plant the fruits and veggies you harvest or buy from outside your farm. Seeds ONLY! The only exception are the eggs, cheese, patty and steak, you can buy and plant those.
No money from Opportunities unless it came from growing fruits/veggies (milk/eggs?).
3. Skill Books - Can only read to get level 1.
4. Cannot learn skills that are not beneficial to farming (Main Sim only).
5. You can NEVER miss school.
a. I will allow the homeschool Mod.

Elder Restrictions:
1. Your grandmother CANNOT drive, as she could never afford a car. She must either walk (she is old) or you need to drive her, that’s it, 2 choices only. You cannot chance her being crazy so she can’t use a cab or subway etc.
2. She is allowed to cook and clean, that’s it. No job or pension, since she has spent her whole life trying to keep the farm alive after the death of her husband.
a. No homemaker career for her if you add the career mod listed in the Mods section. Basically she gets paid for cooking and cleaning her home.
3. Skill Books - She cannot read them because she didn’t finish her schooling. She CAN read other books for entertainment, though.
4. She is not allowed to farm, if you let her touch a plant or hive or anything you make money from, you MUST DELETE it immediately, that includes any money you get from deleting it. She has been unable to grow the farm for decades; it is obvious she is a horrible farmer!

Transportation Cost:
1. Cab = 10 S/ride - one way only
2. Subway = 100 S/week - can use as many times as you wish from M-SU, pass ends on Sunday.
3. Supernatural = 10 S/teleport – one way only
I don’t know what other transportation features are included in other EPs, so I will allow you guys to give them a monetary value. One of those values is not = FREE. Houseboats, you must pay for gas if you move it.
Potions:
This includes all EPs and CC that introduce any form of substances that affect Sims.
I will allow them as long as they don’t affect skills or age or make you unhuman or fast friends/enemies.
It’s fun to prank others with them so I’m not going to kill all your fun.

Mods:
1. You can use anything that doesn’t make your Sims life super easy.
2. No curfew remover!
3. No easier skill learning!
4. No easier farming or gardening mods!
5. Homeschool Mod. You need both files:
a. http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Careers+Phase+Fifteen download first
b. http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Careers+School+Phase+Eleven adds homeschool
c. You can search the other Mods they have to use if you want.

Wardrobe Cost:
This is OPTIONAL but I am adding it because I hate that when my Sims age up, they get their tasteful clothing-hair-accessories replaced with the ugliest most disturbing looks the game can devise. FYI: You only need to pay for an item ONCE and then you can use it for any of the categories, so you can keep wearing the same earrings for both the formal and everyday wear.

TOPS:
T-Shirts = 25 S
Tank Tops = 15 S
Dressy Shirts = 25 S
Jacket/Shirt = 75 S
Sweater = 50 S
Sweater/Shirt = 75 S

BOTTOMS:
Skirts = 25 S
Long Skirts = 50 S
Shorts = 25 S
Jeans = 50 S
Suit Pants = 50 S

SWIMWEAR:
Swim Top = 25 S
Swim Bottom = 25 S
Swim Shorts = 50 S
One Piece = 50 S
Two Piece = 50 S

DRESS:
Dresses = 100 S
Combos = 150 S

SHOES:
Flats = 25 S
Tennis Shoes = 25 S
Ankle Boots = 50 S
Thigh Boots = 50 S
Short Heels = 75 S
High Heels = 75 S
Loafers = 75 S

HAIR:
Color Change = 25 S
Short Hair = 50 S
Shoulder Hair = 50 S
Long Hair = 50 S

ACCESSORIES:
Glasses = 50 S
Earrings = 25 S
Necklace = 25 S
Bracelet = 25 S
Watches = 50 S
Rings = 50 S
Tattoos = 50 S

I might be missing some stuff, but you get the gist of it. To pay for it you can either use the Online Banking Mod, which you can find on ModsTheSims and pay your grandmother for buying you nice clothes or use the (FamilyFunds “Last Name” 0) cheat to subtract the money, or you can just buy some items from the buy interaction that you will never use and keep in your Family inventory. Whichever way you choose to do it, it will make the game more realistic if you pay for things the game doesn’t charge for.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  TS3 - Orphan Farmer Challenge.zip (23.3 KB, 34 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Printable Guide
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 3:13 AM
Wait…What did i just accidentally download? What is that?
Instructor
#3 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lop90804
Wait…What did i just accidentally download? What is that?

It's a printable version of the rules. Don't worry, it's safe.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Apr 2014 at 7:05 PM
Yes, its a printable version of the rules. I'm not smart enough to create an AI Virus to take over the internet and all your computers...Sorry, I will try harder!.... Where is that smoke coming from? Huh, I think my brain just fried...I give up.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Apr 2014 at 7:38 PM
Default Update In Progress...
So I am currently playing my own challenge and will be updating it soon.
Unfortunately, I have come to realize that some restrictions don't work out how I would like them to, so I will be editing quite a bit and I apologize but it WILL be a longer guide.
Since I don't have all the EPs and CCs any suggestions you guys make I will add it to an Xtra Guide.
Test Subject
#6 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 12:11 AM
Looks good i played the teen runaway challenge too and thought it was too easy. IM playing the hotel one now and think its too hard- too many Sims running around stresss! So this should be in the middle for me.

thanks for sharing!
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 2:12 AM
I can't wait to start! As soon as my computer finishes scanning for problems -Stares at it so it'll go faster- > ___ > Seriously though a well though out challenge with rules that aren't like "What am I reading? u-u" is hard to come by, especially one with proper grammar. 👍

Broski
The Sims 3 is my life.
Test Subject
#8 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 6:33 AM
I have started this challenge a couple times in the last few days and ended up with a crashed computer once and realizing I messed up by the end of week one and even their sleeping bags were repossessed - and then I restarted with a much clearer focus. I personally tweaked the cap rule from 10 to 5 to better replicate the actual cost of a taxi ride in a smallish town & to balance that change I added a charge of $500 dollars to be connected to electricity and an additional $500 to be connected to running water.
Test Subject
#9 Old 27th Apr 2014 at 8:57 PM
A good challenge! I have a question. Is allowed to plant the seed of UL?