Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 4:36 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Migrate old gamefiles to new computer whit other OS. Or not?
OK I can say it loud: I just got this plan and just want some advices on this issue. Posting this because I don't have a clue.

I play sims 2 on a old computer. Almost everything have been replaced or repaird and as it runs Windows Vista a lot of hardware resurses is needed. I also do think that my game might be a tiny bit corrupted so I came up whit the idea of migrate my game to an other "newer" computer whit Windows 7 (I do not have this computer yet).

But how hard is it to do this? I plan to install other EP's as well (if I get lucky and can get some) and istalling/patching game is not a problem. BUT what next? Can I just replace the new sims 2 folder whit a older copy or how do I do it (yes, I did read the FAQ about restoring files from backup)? And will everything work fine or will there be issues because I got other EP's as well? I guess the patches that I have for my game must be istalled again but what whit hacks or similar istalled "add ons" ?

So, I hope you don't mind the question but I'm still asking if the operation is complicated or not. The thread mey seem inimportant to you but for mee it's a big issue. Plan B is to stick whit my old computer and istalled the EP's but I do not want to take the computer online (my computer have been virus free for so many ears so it will be unneccesery to take the risk now) there will be problems. I do not think it will work to download from a Linux computer and virus test the downloads/patches there.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 5:33 PM
Install. Patch. Test. Add old Downloads folder. (This is a good time to weed out bad/old CC.) Add old neighborhoods. Corrupted neighborhoods and CC will still be corrupted. If your previous game installation files were corrupted, I think what will happen is that a new and correct installation will crash those neighborhoods. Viruses are not a big danger on your downloads or patches, but if you want to scan them, do it from the old computer and that will ensure that you not carry any viruses you can detect to your new one.

I just did this, transferring old game files from an old Windows XP machine to a new Windows 7 machine, via a flash drive because the Windows 7 computer doesn't have internet yet, and the biggest issue I've had is that some of the neighborhoods had to be zipped to fit onto the flash drive, and some of the downloads corrupted during transfer (probably due to the worn USB port on the old computer, which lets the drive to shift and break the connection every time the cat sniffs it). Getting downloaded programs like WinZIP and WinRAR onto a computer with no internet has been a hassle, and of course you have to learn the new operating system. The main tip I can give you is, that if you click the "Documents" folder twice it will reveal My Documents and another folder, and you need never deal with the second, empty EA folder because it's in the 'other' folder - just double click Documents, double click My Documents, and proceed as usual from there.

When you add new EPs (and patch them), you need to backup your neighborhoods and downloads as a precaution, and upgrade your hacks as necessary. The old neighborhoods will reset, and pause to add new content on loading, but as long as you have the necessary hardware configured in the necessary way - the machine runs the videocard instead of the chip, all drivers are installed properly, and so on - all you'll have is the usual learning curve and hiccups of a new system.

Just keep backups in a secure location till you're absolutely, positively certain everything's transferred and working correctly, and do everything calmly and systematically. You'll be fine.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 11:08 PM
When you add your old neighbourhoods, make sure to delete the Neighborhoods folder on the new computer first - don't just copy the old folder over the top.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2014 at 3:21 AM Last edited by abel1980 : 22nd Apr 2014 at 3:34 AM.
I would recommend this suggestion to hide the empty Sims 2 folder, that Win 7 insists on creating.

It might be a good idea to install the same setup you have now, restore your saved games and then install any additional EPs you want to add. And you can just replace the entire The Sims 2 folder, if you want to, or just the downloads and neighborhoods. The entire folder will also copy collections and camera hacks, though. But Nysha's instruction for the neighborhoods is still important, if you replace the whole folder. Delete or rename the new one created by the game first. Don't just overwrite it with your saved folder.

Adding more EPs and still playing your old saved games should not be a problem at all, but I would install the new EPs with your saved games already back in place. The old saved games will just be updated for the new EPs. It's not possible to play a saved game with less EPs than it was created with, adding more is certainly possible.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Apr 2014 at 5:04 PM
Sorry for the delay.

I do think that sounds like a good idea to install the game as it is and then install new EP's later. That way i can install the game and backup everything before adding more game files. I have not been taking any notice of the 2:nd game folder problem before because I did not need it (until now) . The link to simbology was, however, very helpful. I did mark your post "helpful" Abel but all of the tips have been good so I thank you as well Peni and Nysha.