Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 5:52 PM
Default What's a good color scheme for my new master bath?
I'm building a house. I need to pick out paint and flooring and things. I am not a good decorator. I'm looking at tiled shower/tub instead of a combo unit. But it'll be for a standard size tub, and the shower not separate. But I can't match tile and paint and the bedroom and haven't seen any great ideas when Google image searching (seems like 90% of the pictures I see of drop-in tubs with tile surrounds are brownish and I don't want a brown bedroom). I'd really prefer to avoid white/off-white walls in all the rooms - they're so boring. I was thinking of a solid or textured/mostly-solid for the floor and around the bath, then fancier border nearer the top of the shower, but matching the color in the prettier mosaics can be tricky. I'm up for suggestions on tile and designs and the like. Available from Home Depot would be a plus. And, of course, I don't want to break the bank.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 6:23 AM
You have a million choices. You might think about what colors you like and what kinds of things you've noticed at friends' homes, at restaurants, in the Sims, etc... that you've liked.

You don't need to have a brown bedroom, but neutrals in the tile and linoleum will serve you well. Go for something brown or grey toned. Try to pick out a floor that reminds you of stone. For the tiles, go for something with shading in it, also somewhat natural looking. It will be more interesting than a solid color. You can also get a border tile (it's much thinner) either at the top or at eye level. It adds a little excitement, even in a sea of neutral tones. Take a look at a store that sells tile and you might be inspired. For the walls, how about something sponged? That way you can work in some color without it being overwhelming. Popular base colors for bathrooms are seafoam green, light or medium blue or periwinkle. Sponge a cream over it. It's really easy to do. Another really sharp combo for walls is light grey with bright white trim or even half-paneling.

Another cool look is when the floor either is hardwood or is made to look like hard wood. Then you'd go for a solid on the walls and a strong contrasting trim. Colors are your pick, but blue is really traditional. No reason you couldn't use another color, though, if it appeals to you - just make it strong.

More color is added with towels and throw rugs and more interest is added with mirrors, hardware, pictures, plants, etc... Put your touch in by getting things that appeal to you. I enjoy whimsical things, for instance, so I put in a towel hook shaped like a hand in my former home.

You will probably get inspired at the stores, but you can also check out Better Homes & Garden Magazine or Country Homes for specific ideas (including shopping lists of which paint to buy, etc...). Good luck!

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 6:53 AM
If you don't like the idea of browns why not go for blues or greens?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#4 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 9:13 AM
Home Depot website actually has an Ideas showcase using the products they sell :http://www6.homedepot.com/Tilescape...pRoomSolutions&

A lot of how you style the bath should follow the style of the home; you might not want to put a craftsman style bath into a modern style home, and vice versa. What have you done in the kitchen? Keeping the same theme will help unify the look of the home.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 9:47 AM
Google for ideas and look at the pictures till you see something you like - that's what I did for my study. I now have a lovely ammonite stencil on the wall just behind my desk.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#6 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 4:18 PM
Matte black with a crimson crapper and black light strobes in there. Make pooping and showering a club experience.
Scholar
#7 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 7:53 PM
here is a website that I've found helpful for Sims designs but people use it for home designs all the time. It has inspirational photos for every room of the house. A lot of them are expensive looking but you could copy the general "feel" of a space without going all out. here is a website with thousands of already picked out color palettes that look great. Hope you find something you like!

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 12:11 AM
I find it strange that you trust the internet enough to give you interior design advice. That said, maybe you could try various shades of blue and green with some translucent tiles thrown in.

May your plumbob glow ever green.
#9 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 2:37 AM
Well, what colors do you like?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 3:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
You have a million choices. You might think about what colors you like and what kinds of things you've noticed at friends' homes, at restaurants, in the Sims, etc... that you've liked.

You don't need to have a brown bedroom, but neutrals in the tile and linoleum will serve you well. Go for something brown or grey toned. Try to pick out a floor that reminds you of stone. For the tiles, go for something with shading in it, also somewhat natural looking. It will be more interesting than a solid color. You can also get a border tile (it's much thinner) either at the top or at eye level. It adds a little excitement, even in a sea of neutral tones. Take a look at a store that sells tile and you might be inspired. For the walls, how about something sponged? That way you can work in some color without it being overwhelming. Popular base colors for bathrooms are seafoam green, light or medium blue or periwinkle. Sponge a cream over it. It's really easy to do. Another really sharp combo for walls is light grey with bright white trim or even half-paneling.

Quote:
If you don't like the idea of browns why not go for blues or greens?
Seems like most of what I see in the stores is brown or gray with green or blue (usually a washed out green or blue mixed in). The thing is the bathrooms (and matching bedrooms) in the house previous to this were blue and green. I was looking for something different.

Quote:
Another cool look is when the floor either is hardwood or is made to look like hard wood. Then you'd go for a solid on the walls and a strong contrasting trim. Colors are your pick, but blue is really traditional. No reason you couldn't use another color, though, if it appeals to you - just make it strong.
We considering wood laminate for the living room.

Quote:
More color is added with towels and throw rugs and more interest is added with mirrors, hardware, pictures, plants, etc... Put your touch in by getting things that appeal to you. I enjoy whimsical things, for instance, so I put in a towel hook shaped like a hand in my former home.
I don't do knick-knacks. I intellectually know they can liven up a room, but I don't like things that are purely decorative - I like things to be functional. The only purely decorative items I have were gifts. I will make an exception for mirrors or pictures - things that hang on the wall and do not take up space on surfaces or create clutter.

Quote:
You will probably get inspired at the stores, but you can also check out Better Homes & Garden Magazine or Country Homes for specific ideas (including shopping lists of which paint to buy, etc...). Good luck!
Thanks.

Thanks to efolger997 and kattenijin for the links. It's nice to have something I can look at and see if gives me any ideas.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 3:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tzigone
I don't do knick-knacks. I intellectually know they can liven up a room, but I don't like things that are purely decorative - I like things to be functional. The only purely decorative items I have were gifts. I will make an exception for mirrors or pictures - things that hang on the wall and do not take up space on surfaces or create clutter.
Then don't do "knick-knacks" but do use your functional items (towels, hooks, mirrors, throw rugs) to add interest. Little details pull a space together and are a way to show your personality, it doesn't need to be cluttered. Even with a mostly uncluttered, functional look, having one focal decoration - such as a large print or a plant - will really liven your bathroom up.

If you are up for posting pictures when you're done, I'm sure we'd all love to see what you've done.

Test Subject
#12 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 8:43 AM
It depends on what colors you have on your walls. If your bath is in some light color then you should go for peach colored master bath. Make sure o keep ample of ventilation inside.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 3:16 AM
Well, it's not done yet, but in case anyone is interested in how it's going, I did end up going with green. And brown - really greys and browns were just about the only base tiles I could find.

I know the picture is crooked; sorry, I was in a hurry. Had the flash on for the distant shot and off for the close up one, so that's probably why the color doesn't appear the same.

Here's the tub:

Scholar
#14 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 5:21 AM
Glad it worked out; it looks quite nice!

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Theorist
#15 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 10:50 AM
There's still time to put up a black velvet painting of Darth Vader riding a burro and some LED strobe lights in there.

Just sayin'.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 1:17 PM
That's a nice looking bathroom! I love the tiles, they look so natural. The step up to the bath is luxurious. Thanks for posting the pics.

Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 1:44 PM
That's so nice!! I'd snap a comparison photo, so you could see mine, but since it's from the early 1900's, I should be thanking all my stars I'm not using an outhouse and heating water over a fire

No really, the tiles are a disgusting shade of yellow, coral, and blue. *gag*

She was rouge and red lips, dark hair and soft hips, mischief and laughter - and she wanted you to love her faster.
Alchemist
#18 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
Matte black with a crimson crapper and black light strobes in there. Make pooping and showering a club experience.

My Idea.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!