Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Oct 2014 at 5:18 PM
Default Can I have some help to buy a new desktop for playing TS2, TS3 and TS4 please
I currently play TS2 with all EPs and SPs. I would like to try TS3 again with some EPs and intend to buy TS4. The computer will be used for gaming, desk top publishing - text and images, I currently use Publisher but I have Indesign CS2 and would like to try the whole suite. I'm also a creator.

I do not intend to build it myself but to get someone to build it for me. I would also prefer Windows 7 to Windows 8.1.

My friend used these specs. I don't think I need an i7, would an i5 work?

Case: Cooler Master CM Force 500
Powersupply: Cooler Master B600
Motherboard: Asus H87M-PLUS,s1150
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770,s1150
RAM: Corsair ValueSelect 1333-16GB (2x8GB)
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 760 Gaming,2GB

As for the harddrive, would it be better to choose a larger HDD or an SSHD?

Thank you

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 3:03 AM
An i5 is more than enough. Even the cheapest i5 will get you great performance in the sims. I would only get the i7 if you KNOW you need it for your day job, or if your budget allows for it.

You don't need 16GB of RAM, 8GB is more than enough. Same deal as the i7 vs i5. Only get 16GB if you know you need it for your day job. Otherwise 8GB is fine for now. There's probably $50 - $60 difference between 8GB and 16GB and I personally think you would be better off putting those $60 into your SSD budget or a better case. I'm not really a huge fan of the CM Force 500.

If you're getting the MSI GeForce GTX 760 make sure it's a WindForce edition.

HDD vs SSD? Well that depends entirely on you and your budget. Ideally you should have both. An SSD to load the games/programs you play often and your Windows, and an HDD for everything else.

If your budget doesn't all for both, get only an HDD, save the money and buy one later.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Oct 2014 at 11:32 AM
Thank you, for your answer, ajaxsirius. I'm in the UK (I forgot to mention that). When I mentioned to the IT guy at work about SSD and HDD he said exactly what you say, so if I can I will go for that. I have sent the specs to the company I want to build it and am waiting for their reply.

I don't work from home, the Desktop publishing I do as a volunteer for charity groups.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 6:52 PM
I have had a reply from the company I plan to buy the computer from. Does this sound ok to you? I have replied to them asking for the Windforce edition graphics card.

System Base Unit:
Intel Core i5 Haswell 4460
Kingston HyperX 16Gb DDR3 Memory (2*8Gb)
Seagate 1Tb SSHD Hybrid Drive
Antec VSK3000 Case
nVidia GeForce GTX 760 2gb PCI-e Graphics Card
750W PSU
DVDRW Drive
Gigabit Ethernet
HD Audio
6 * USB Ports
Windows 7, 64-bit, Service Pack 1

Quotation Price: £734.69

Scholar
#5 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 7:14 PM
Overall it's okay. Ask them if they can change the amount of RAM to 8GB instead of 16GB and if they have different cases available.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 12:11 AM
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to you, ajaxsirius, for your help and advice. Computer has been purchased and TS2 is loaded and works like a dream

Scholar
#7 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 2:53 AM
Cool! What are the final specs of your computer? Did you try TS3?
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 12:08 AM
Sorry missed your last post ajaxsirius. The final specs were:
System Base Unit:
Intel Core i5 Haswell 4460
Kingston HyperX 16Gb DDR3 Memory (2*8Gb)
Seagate 1Tb SSHD Hybrid Drive
Coolermaster CM500
nVidia GeForce GTX 760 4Gb PCI-e Graphics Card, WindForce edition
750W PSU
DVDRW Drive
Gigabit Ethernet
HD Audio
6 * USB Ports
Windows 7, 64-bit, Service Pack 1
Microsoft Office 2010 Professional

Total cost: £943.88

I haven't tried TS3 yet, I will do that over the Christmas break

Thanks again, for all your advice!