Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th May 2015 at 3:51 PM
Default What Sort of Computer Should I Get?
Hello! So, I've tried and tried to research this, but I'm finding it difficult to understand computers, so I thought I might pick some of your brains, if you don't mind.

I'm looking for a "new" desktop computer (I don't mind if it's refurbished, new, or custom-built). I need it to have high-quality sound (or high definition, whatever you call it), as I am a transcriptionist. Also, it needs to have reliable Wi-Fi capabilities. Those are two main reasons why I'm leaving my ex-laptop.

Oh, and my work typically involves having a couple programs running at once. I need to use my word processor, Express Scribe for playing audio, and usually several tabs opened in Google Chrome at the same time. That means I need good RAM, right? Plus, I'll need enough USB ports for my foot pedal, my wireless mouse, and an external hard drive that I store most information on.

Beyond that, does a desktop need any resolution thingamajigs? Or is that reliant on the monitor? Because I would like the display to be accurate when using an art program, for instance. My ex-laptop had a nasty tendency to turn images dull and green.

Lastly, and this is the reason I'm bothering you good people, I would like to play Sims 2 with all expansions on this. Being able to play Sims 3 all expansions would be kind of cool, but I have such a love-hate relationship with it that it doesn't feel so important.

In summary, I need:
At least a 2.5GHz processor
Dedicated graphics with at least 1GB memory
4GB RAM
High-definition sound card
Headphone jack
At least 3 or 4 USB ports
Not a hidden fixation for turning images green

That's what I understand I need, at least. In particular, I'm wondering what specific parts I should be looking for that will satisfy my requirements.

Thanks so much to anyone who will help me.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 17th May 2015 at 3:58 PM
What country are you buying from?
can you or someone you know assemble if you buy the parts separately?
what's your budget?
can you clarify "high-definition" sound a bit more? do you need 7.1? Analog output? S/PDIF?
what are the specs of the laptop you're leaving behind? what didn't you like about it?
do you already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard?

Wi-Fi reliability depends on a whole slew of factors. It depends on which router/modem you're using, it depends on where you place it in your home, depends on how far your computer is from it, depends on other items interfering with it, and it depends on the adapter you use in your computer. Wi-Fi connection is finnicky. Best use wired if you can.

Image quality and resolution depends A LOT on your monitor. Type of GPU you choose is secondary. Big difference between a $100 monitor and a $300 monitor.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th May 2015 at 4:50 PM
Good questions.

I'm purchasing from the USA. I can have it built at a nearby store, if I get custom parts (but I would really need to know what I'm looking for, not such vague ideas).

Budget is flexible, so it can be up to $1,500, but I prefer a bargain.

I'll have to get back to you on the sound quality after I see if I can't understand it better.

This is my ex-laptop . It's an Acer Aspire E1-472G-6648. General specs are 1.6GHz-2.6GHz Intel Core i5-4200U processor, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD, dual graphics (Intel HD and NVIDIA GeForce GT 820M), wireless type 802.11bgn. Does that help?

Regarding what I don't like about it...

I'm assuming it was the wireless adapter that is giving me issues. From day one, its connection was spotty. I have it plugged in by an Ethernet connection to a router, but even that won't help it access simple sites lately, like Google. However, other devices in my household connect just fine, so it seems to definitely be an issue on my laptop's end.

The monitor is poor quality and interferes with the quality of my artwork, which is an important hobby to me.

Its sound quality is mediocre, as it gives off a lot of background static, something I noticed when I had to do my work on my housemate's computer yesterday because I couldn't get online on my laptop. I used the same headphones, but the audio was clearer on my housemate's desktop. I can look into what their sound thingy is later and update this post.

Final complaints are its sneaky dual graphics and Windows 8.1. The NVIDIA is its secondary card. Sims 2 will run fine off of that, but BodyShop (which I use just as much as the game) will only recognize the Intel card. So, no bumpmaps. As for Windows 8.1, I simply don't care much for it. Its updates are huge, which is a problem since the laptop struggles to stay online. If it wasn't for my other complaints about my laptop, I would see about installing a different OS, like Windows 7.

Lastly, I own a mouse. I will need a keyboard, but that seems like something I can find and understand. I have a 22-inch TV that I might be able to use as a monitor, at least for some time. I think that needs an HDMI cable to connect.

Thanks for your help!
Scholar
#4 Old 17th May 2015 at 7:22 PM
Here's a sample build I put together (see list after my notes). You can buy all these parts online, but I don't know which parts your computer store has in stock, and at which prices. You're pretty flexible in most cases.

Notes:
CPU (processor): Get the cheapest 4th gen i5 you can find. The model numbers all follow the naming format like i5-4***. The cheapest I could find today was the i5-4440. Don't get any of the ones whose model numbers end in a letter, like the i5-4570T or i5-4690K for example.
Motherboard: Any H97 motherboard should do, but I went with the ASRock brand H97M PRO4 because it has a variety of audio outputs so you can connect your PC to speakers or an external amp if that's your thing. The onboard audio should be fine, however if it's not good enough for you, you can always purchase a seperate audio card and add it in after.
Storage: I went with a SSD+HDD since we're way under your $1500 budget. The SSD is faster but smaller, the HDD is slower but bigger. Install your OS & The Sims on the SSD. Store your data such as pictures, movies and PSD files on the HDD.
OS: I included Windows 7 since you said you weren't a big fan of Windows 8. However, when Windows 10 comes around there's a good chance it will be better than Windows 7. Windows 8 will probably get a FREE upgrade to Windows 10, not sure about Windows 7.
Monitor: I did not include a monitor since I have no specific recommendations, but this article I found online should help: http://www.lightandmatter.org/2011/...that-important/. Don't use your TV as a monitor if you have a choice.
Keyboard: Get any keyboard you want. Doesn't really matter, just pick one that feels comfortable to you. Don't spend more than $30 on a keyboard usually.
Connectivity: I did not include a WiFi adapter since I still recommend going wired over wireless. However if you would prefer one anyway, I can find one for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($173.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($201.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($85.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $872.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-17 14:10 EDT-0400
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th May 2015 at 8:09 PM
Oh wow, thank you so much for that. I really appreciate how you mentioned WHY you were recommending certain parts. You have no idea how much this helps me. I can feel very overwhelmed by all the options out there, so this gives me something more solid to look at. All I knew is that I have a tendency to buy computers that don't work out for me in the long-run. :P

One question I have is about the SSD+HDD. I do have an external hard drive with 1TB; would that work out with just getting the SSD, or should I not be so cheap? Would that make a big difference in performance?

Regarding the wireless adapter, I'm connected by DSL, and in particular, I use an extension router. I do have a router that can connect by Ethernet to my computer, but does that still rely on a wireless adapter? Sorry if I'm not using the right technical terms.

I'm still not sure what sort of audio I'm looking for exactly, but it sounds like the motherboard you recommended would be flexible and I could get a sound card once I understand more about them. So that seems like a good choice to me.

Well, I'll check with my local store this week and see if they can't build something like this. Thank you again, ajaxsirius!
Scholar
#6 Old 18th May 2015 at 5:17 AM
The external will be slower than the internal, but if you're tight on budget, then you can forget about the HDD for now without problems. Just don't install any programs on it.

Ethernet and wireless are separate. Ethernet uses a cable to connect to the router. Use that if possible. I would only recommend using Wi-Fi if you don't have a choice.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th May 2015 at 2:13 PM Last edited by SleepyTabby : 18th May 2015 at 8:47 PM.
Thanks for answering my questions. I'll stick to using the Ethernet. I'll mull over the HDD when I have some caffeine in me. But you've been very insightful, thank you!