Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 11:34 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Setting FPS limit for CAW?
I have tiny problem in my hands and googling didn't help. I just got a brand new GPU and made a switch from Radeon to GeForce 1070. I set the Vsync for the game from the control panel and it works nicely. However, for CAW... no. Okay, so I downloaded the Nvidia Inspector and tried to set it up just for caw but it didn't work. Mainly I opened it -> made a new profile -> added the caw.exe to the profile -> change the FPS limit to 60 (under Sync & Refresh) -> clicked apply. After that I opened CAW and the FPS were still out of control.

I basically did he same as this player... https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/di...erheating-fixed ...except for creating a new profile. Why doesn't it work?

Also, what does the player mean by "will not bring back any of the worlds I crafted in the 1.67 patch". Why wouldn't limiting the FPS work on a old/wip world? I refuse to abandon mine. I'm still on 1.67 myself, though.
Advertisement
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 10:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
to be honest, you never really need higher than 60 fps, so I just set the "global" profile to 60 fps.

Okay. I wasn't sure whether some other games needed it to be higher. This whole Nvidia/Vsync thing was a new thing for me. Thank you for answering.
Instructor
#5 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 2:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
Okay, so I downloaded the Nvidia Inspector and tried to set it up just for caw but it didn't work. Mainly I opened it -> made a new profile -> added the caw.exe to the profile -> change the FPS limit to 60 (under Sync & Refresh) -> clicked apply. After that I opened CAW and the FPS were still out of control.

Have you edit your Graphic.sgr file to make TS3 recognized your GTX1070? If you haven't, you need to do that first before setting up Nvidia Inspector capping your FPS in CAW, because when CAW is running.. it's actually running TS3 as well (but in lite mode), all the graphic settings running in CAW were based on what your TS3 graphic has been set up, if TS3 doesn't recognizes your GTX1070, then your CAW is affected, and that's why I think why your Nvidia Inspector didn't work in capping FPS in CAW.

There's nothing wrong in setting up your Nvidia Inspector for CAW above, my TS3 also 1.67 and Nvidia Inspector work for both TS3 1.67 and CAW 1.67, just make sure TS3 recognizes your GTX1070, click here for more details, and then try again running CAW with Nvidia Inspector capping FPS in EIG mode. Note: When you run CAW, go to EIG mode, and then hit ctrl+shift+c to open cheat box, and then type "FPS ON" without the quotes, and you'll see your FPS on your top right corner of your screen.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
Have you edit your Graphic.sgr file to make TS3 recognized your GTX1070? If you haven't, you need to do that first before setting up Nvidia Inspector capping your FPS in CAW, because when CAW is running.. it's actually running TS3 as well (but in lite mode), all the graphic settings running in CAW were based on what your TS3 graphic has been set up, if TS3 doesn't recognizes your GTX1070, then your CAW is affected, and that's why I think why your Nvidia Inspector didn't work in capping FPS in CAW.

There's nothing wrong in setting up your Nvidia Inspector for CAW above, my TS3 also 1.67 and Nvidia Inspector work for both TS3 1.67 and CAW 1.67, just make sure TS3 recognizes your GTX1070, click here for more details, and then try again running CAW with Nvidia Inspector capping FPS in EIG mode. Note: When you run CAW, go to EIG mode, and then hit ctrl+shift+c to open cheat box, and then type "FPS ON" without the quotes, and you'll see your FPS on your top right corner of your screen.

The first thing I had to do was to make the game recognize the new GPU and it does now. The Nvidia Control Center also recognizes the Sims 3 and limits its FPS, so that was working from the start. It was the CAW FPS that went haywire. I'm using Fraps to display the FPS in game. But everything is working fine now, I think. CAW doesn't make the GPU squeal anymore. Haven't tested EIG yet but hopefully it works fine, as well.
Instructor
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 9:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
I'm using Fraps to display the FPS in game. But everything is working fine now, I think. CAW doesn't make the GPU squeal anymore. Haven't tested EIG yet but hopefully it works fine, as well.

Well since you're using Fraps, I think that's the FPS generated from Fraps that you're seeing, not generated from running CAW, to check the FPS that were generated from running TS3 and/or CAW, you have to open the cheat box (ctrl+shift+C) then type the "FPS ON" command, for TS3 the game in full mode, you can open the cheat box from TS3 main menu and then just type in "FPS ON", and you'll see your TS3 FPS once the game is fully loaded and running, but for CAW, you have to go to EIG mode in order to open the cheat box so you can type in the "FPS ON" command, and you'll see the FPS generated from CAW just like in TS3 game full mode.

Note: after you have set 30 or 60 FPS cap from Nvidia Inspector for TS3.exe and/or TS3W.exe and CAW.exe, as long as you see the FPS numbers in TS3 game or CAW EIG mode activated from the cheat box, that means the FPS cap from Invidia Inspector is working.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 1:50 PM Last edited by varpunen : 25th Mar 2017 at 7:27 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
Well since you're using Fraps, I think that's the FPS generated from Fraps that you're seeing, not generated from running CAW, to check the FPS that were generated from running TS3 and/or CAW, you have to open the cheat box (ctrl+shift+C) then type the "FPS ON" command, for TS3 the game in full mode, you can open the cheat box from TS3 main menu and then just type in "FPS ON", and you'll see your TS3 FPS once the game is fully loaded and running, but for CAW, you have to go to EIG mode in order to open the cheat box so you can type in the "FPS ON" command, and you'll see the FPS generated from CAW just like in TS3 game full mode.

Note: after you have set 30 or 60 FPS cap from Nvidia Inspector for TS3.exe and/or TS3W.exe and CAW.exe, as long as you see the FPS numbers in TS3 game or CAW EIG mode activated from the cheat box, that means the FPS cap from Invidia Inspector is working.

Okay, I have time today so I'll go to EIG and use the cheat box to see what the FPS are. Thanks.

EDIT: The testing has to wait, it seems. I seem to be getting the "Serious Error..." -error now when trying to open EIG. I have to go through the steps and try to fix that first, and then do the testing.