Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 6:44 PM
Default Game freezes (but doesn't crash)
So the problem is that sometimes my game freezes so that i can't click anywhere and animations stops as well. Sound effects still works though (like rain for example). But it doesn't crash, and the game starts working again eventually (takes about an hour), which is why i usually just shut down the game and start it again. Normally it wouldn't be a problem but recently it has been happening quite a lot. I have downloaded a few mods before it started, but removing them didn't fix it. So do you guys have any idea of what causes this? I didn't find much information about this by googling because for most people it crashes after freezing.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2017 at 8:40 PM
Was going to say that happens to me sometimes, but it's only for a few seconds at a time. An hour is crazy, so it's likely not the same problem, but I believe my problem is caused by the save file getting clogged up with excess sims and objects and stuff, since it normally happens in saves I've been playing for a while. Nraas ErrorTrap and Overwatch help with stuff like that, but when it started happening a lot I used resetsim * typed into the cheats bar, that resets all the sims in the neighbourhood and it helped stop the freezing for a while.

Freezing up for an hour does sound like a different issue though.
Scholar
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2017 at 2:20 AM
Yes, I had that same problem when playing SIms 3 on my previous computer, although we are talking of freezes lasting about 20 minutes. That was before I had any mods at all, although I had all EPs and SPs installed. I put it down to not having enough memory: that machine had just 2Gb. It would crash, most often, if I went into CAS or Edit Town. But during normal play it would go into those long pauses, as you describe, with sound effects still working, but no animation and nothing clickable. I think the computer was just being given too much to do. I don't get it on this present laptop, which has 6Gb RAM.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Theorist
#4 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 3:44 PM
I had this on my new laptop. Try bad CC or bad routing. (my issues). Also, clean your caches. But read how to do it...don't just randomly get rid of stuff. Also clean out featured items. Delete things in your recycling bin. In the end, it might be the lack of RAM. Sims 3 is a great game but yes, it comes with hazards and the more you add, the likelihood of things going haywire increases.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Instructor
#5 Old 24th Mar 2017 at 5:46 PM
This issue is why I quit playing Isla Paradiso back when I first got the game (albeit my game would usually stop for 1-5 minutes at a time).

What are your computer specs? Maybe it's a combination of terrible routing in the world you're playing in and your computer not being able to physically handle the game?

Also, did you clear your cache files after removing your mods? If not, they were likely still cached and affecting your game.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 11:01 PM Last edited by gskdoleo : 26th Mar 2017 at 4:27 AM.
To play Isla Paradiso, I usually do:
- Delete all boat houses. Move that ppl to normal houses (but you can put your active sims in boat houses, no problem with that)
- Disable and delete all pets (MasterController)
- Delete all dead people and ghosts (MasterController) - this is important
- Don't put sims in this house, they will just disappear (it happened to me)

- Some bathrooms have problems with the position of the bathtub, sims can't use it. Check all houses.
- Grow up toddlers
- Disable full moon effect (MasterController)
- Disable zombies (Nraas Retuner)
- Disable snow
- Disable animals like stray dogs & cats, wild horses (Nraas Register - Animal Control)
- Delete Salon and Fire Station (if you will not use)
- Nraas Overwatch + MasterController + Register + Retuner + ErrorTrap

Except for the boat houses thing, I do all this for any world I play, always.

Yeees, it's a lot of work!
But doing all this I can play any world in my poor old basic laptop with no problems. Seriously, that computer is garbage, i'm not kidding.

(Sorry my bad english)
Theorist
#7 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 11:30 PM
It sounds like your PC is severely underpowered for the game, maybe not enough RAM. What are its specifications?

Could be lack of space, too. Check how much free space you've got left on your hard drives, especially the system one (should be C). It's important to have enough free space on your system drive, just in case make it 40GB and check periodically that it isn't lower than that. Programs use physical drive space for various purposes, so you need to have enough.

You'd have more luck in another subforum, though, go to 'Sims 3 Help' subforum and create the same topic. People with more technical knowledge tend to congregate there.
Instructor
#8 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gskdoleo
To play Isla Paradiso, I usually do:
- Delete all boat houses. Move that ppl to normal houses (but you can put your active sims in boat houses, no problem with that)
- Disable and delete all pets (MasterController)
- Delete all dead people and ghosts (MasterController) - this is important
- Don't put sims in this house, they will just disappear (it happened to me)

- Some bathrooms have problems with the position of the bathtub, sims can't use it. Check all houses.
- Grow up toddlers
- Disable full moon effect (MasterController)
- Disable zombies (Nraas Retuner)
- Disable snow
- Disable animals like stray dogs & cats, wild horses (Nraas Register - Animal Control)
- Delete Salon and Fire Station (if you will not use)
- Nraas Overwatch + MasterController + Register + Retuner + ErrorTrap

Except for the boat houses thing, I do all this to any world I play, always.

Yeees, it's a lot of work!
But doing all this I can play any world in my poor old basic laptop with no problems. Seriously, that computer is garbage, i'm not kidding.

(Sorry my bad english)

Don't worry! Your english made sense and you're doing a far better job than I would likely do trying to speak your native tongue English is such a bizarre language anyway, even those of us who grew up speaking it are confused

Thanks for sharing your list- I wish I had these suggestions when I was trying to play on my old laptop! They probably would have made things a lot easier.

I downloaded the fixed version of Isla Paradiso from here: http://modthesims.info/d/514909 but I'm still a bit nervous about this world- I still have flashbacks to how terrible it was when I started playing, haha. I suppose there's no time like the present, though. I'll try loading it up and also try using your suggestions to see if it's any easier to play.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 5:28 AM
Kinda depends on the world and the mods. Isla Paradiso, as many have said, is a challenge for many computers.

If you have NRAAS Mods, try installing NRAAS ErrorTrap. See if their is an error file and upload it to the appropriate NRAAS mod forum. http://nraas.wikispaces.com/How+To+Upload

You could run Delphy's Dashboard Tool: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=387006 I usually run this when I add a new non-NRAAS mod. I should probably run it for all mods.

If you got some other mods or custom content, then it's Trial and error taking them out. I'd go with taking out half. If that fixes it, put half of those taken out back. etc. Sort of a Newton's Method for CC and mods.

This is a handy guide:
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+Fo...ame+Performance
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 6:23 AM
There is another way, for those still interested in fixing Isla P, that covers its problematic lots and most of the world lot flaws at the same time -- EllaCharmed's version is great but only really covers the latter well.

Place your computer in a microwave, set it on high for around 15 minutes...no wait, that's not the right instruction set although it might seem like the thing to do in the beginning. (sounds of pieces of paper being crumpled up)

Member ciane on the EA forums has redesigned the Isla P world to fix all of these things and has it available as a ready to play save. I would still recommend Overwatch, ErrorTrap and, for this world especially, Register to control the overspawnage of resort workers and to disallow stray animals as they will continue to get stuck in ridiculous places and still keep trying to take water taxis to get around. She also lists out everything she did for the would-be Do It Yourselfers. When she comes across the direction to "show all work" when solving a problem, she does a fantastic job of just that as well.
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...oving-ip-lag/p1
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Mar 2017 at 1:42 AM
Thanks guys, i think the problem was bad routing. I moved my family to a new town and there's no freezes anymore. I'm not 100% sure that it was the problem though. And i don't have ErrorTrap and i won't be downloading it because it conflicts with my other mods.
Site Helper
#12 Old 27th Mar 2017 at 3:44 AM

What mods does Error Trap conflict with? I haven't seen it conflicting with anything. It's even one of the rare core mods that will play nicely with Awesome Mod.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th Mar 2017 at 9:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orose
This issue is why I quit playing Isla Paradiso back when I first got the game (albeit my game would usually stop for 1-5 minutes at a time).

What are your computer specs? Maybe it's a combination of terrible routing in the world you're playing in and your computer not being able to physically handle the game?

Also, did you clear your cache files after removing your mods? If not, they were likely still cached and affecting your game.

Yes, i always delete the useless cache files before starting the game, so i believe the routing issues were the problem. I was playing in a custom world (Elmira City). It's a shame since it doesn't lag as much as any other custom world but it is the only world where i've had this problem.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Mar 2017 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj

What mods does Error Trap conflict with? I haven't seen it conflicting with anything. It's even one of the rare core mods that will play nicely with Awesome Mod.

It conflicts with OnikiKay's Kinky World, even with Dereferencing disabled.
Link: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/4324...ed-11-mar-2017/