Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 1:12 PM Last edited by pretenshus : 15th Sep 2017 at 8:53 PM.
Default Why deleting entire threads means others miss out on information
Here's some information from other community members about why the deletion of threads is actually less helpful than it may seem
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 2:51 PM
Frankly answering your questions isn't very tempting at the moment, because I know you're going to delete this thread after you have got your answer. It's going to deprive others of the chance to learn from you're experience. Even though I know a lot already, there is always something new to learn.
dodgy builder
#3 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 4:59 PM
I did not intend to insult you, it's just my honest opinion, I'm sorry if you were insulted. We've had this discussion before and most threads on this forum goes off topic. That doesn't mean that the issue being discussed isn't relevant or interesting. It might not be interesting to you, but I might find it very interesting.

Again to be honest, this is a public forum and always keeping things on topic might not be possible. As in Sense and Sensibility "we have to accept", and what you consider on topic might be too harsh for others. It's also a way of being a fun and interesting place for people to meet, a good conversation often runs off topic all the time and still manage to stay relevant to the people talking.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 5:36 PM
Volvenom's got a point. This deleting threads as soon as you get an answer is not optimal

Other people may have the problem as well if you have it. It's about sharing.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 5:52 PM
I know! You can delete the thread!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 5:55 PM
I guess it's simple - don't delete your thread if it contains information that may be useful to others. Do that, and people won't blame you for it. It would be appreciated, also by yours truly.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#7 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 6:12 PM
I guess that's fine if you A) don't want any answers or potentially B) want to get banned for spamming.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 6:20 PM
I don't think it is very nice to rename the thread and change all the posts you made that were replied to.

But... well, you did.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 6:30 PM
I deleted those threads because I am self conscious and have anxiety. I kept thinking about them even after I left them and how it seemed like I was rude to everyone.

In this thread I felt like I was being attacked for something I already felt terrible for and went on the defense
I thought deleting threads was almost like cleaning up the entire forum from my stupid posts thats how I saw it.

I'm just now realizing this is the exact opposite and you guys dont like that in this community and I'm totally fine with that
but I feel like this was more of a "burn the witch" than a "hey don't do that." situation.

I hope that my genuine feelings are clear here, and as not to taint them I'm no longer going to respond since this is a dead horse now and I've feel like I been made out to be and made myself out to be a horrible person or the enemy, at least. I will no longer be deleting threads.

I hope that being honest about this will make you guys see my actions differently but if not, theres nothing I can do. But also pls dont bully people. I've seen some of you do it to people in other threads and its disheartening. Some people really just dont know these things and a pm or a simple reasoning as to why something is incorrect would suffice. Thanks.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I guess that's fine if you A) don't want any answers or potentially B) want to get banned for spamming.

I don't think it's spam, but I've seen the deleted threads and wonder what was going on, and what was the question and answer.

Didn't think it was worth a reply, tho.

What concerns me more is how you reply to a post that says one thing, and then you come back and the thread title and the post you reply to is completely different so it makes it look like the reply you made is unreasonable.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 6:47 PM
I deleted a thread recently. You'll never know the question, but you won't have seen it before I deleted it anyway.

insert signature here
Instructor
#12 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 6:53 PM
I deleted a thread recently. You'll never know the question, but you won't have seen it before I deleted it anyway.

are you guys discussing is the real Paul McCartney is really dead or something?? what is this deleting threads all about??
dodgy builder
#13 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 6:56 PM

I just keep wondering if I lost out on something, or if it contained something I could have learned something from.

When it comes to anxiety Pretenshus I would say you don't have to answer immediately, and learn how to give yourself some slack. It's not the end of the world. If you relax a bit you will have less to beat yourself up about. It's what I have learned anyway.

When it comes to my feelings as well, as some has already mentioned. I feel unappreciated when someone deletes threads I have responed to, or even invested some time on reading.

Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
What concerns me more is how you reply to a post that says one thing, and then you come back and the thread title and the post you reply to is completely different so it makes it look like the reply you made is unreasonable.

I totally agree. I do understand Pretenshus anxiety though.

Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
are you guys discussing is the real Paul McCartney is really dead or something?? what is this deleting threads all about??

OP made a post about caw and I guess that will be dealt with in a different thread.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
BUT... at the same time, I find myself repeating a lot of things in the help forum etc... b/c after 1 issue was solved in a thread, some newbie post the exact same question in a new thread right above it without even reading the forum topics. I got snippy a few times when this happened.

I always find myself having to exercise serious restraint from rudely lecturing those posters.

insert signature here
dodgy builder
#16 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 10:00 PM
There will always be new generations of youngsters having to learn the right sort of behaviour. That's probably the schools fault. They don't really understand how important best conduct on the web is.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 12:12 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 17th Sep 2017 at 12:23 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
There will always be new generations of youngsters having to learn the right sort of behaviour. That's probably the schools fault. They don't really understand how important best conduct on the web is.

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words...When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise (meaning disrespectful) and impatient of restraint."
- Hesiod, ca. 8th century B.C.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in lace of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."
- Socrates (reportedly), 5th century B.C.,

insert signature here
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 12:30 AM
"Times are bad. Children disobey their parents, and everyone is writing a book." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Mad Poster
#19 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 12:53 AM
"WHAT?"
- Lil Jon

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#21 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 6:58 AM
When I see the same person delete thread after thread I cannot help but think that the thread was spam in the first place. If the thread is not deleted and folks can see there was a question and answers that can be used by others there is no reason to delete it. If the discussion is as useful/valid as the others here leave it be.