Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#26 Old 8th Apr 2018 at 4:59 AM
I'd only want to see an open world come back if it isn't a facade that your sims can't truly explore (rabbit holes) the way it was in TS3. What's the point in making this big open world if you can't go in half the buildings and sims rarely show up in the areas you can explore? All you can really say is that it looks pretty.

Now don't get me wrong, the loading screens in TS4 are fucking irritating, especially on my shitty laptop that has the game running with several packs and a ton of mods and CC. But there is something to be said for actually being able to go in all the buildings (even if the tiny ass map only allows for a few community lots per world...but I digress) and have more than a handful of sims appear.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 8th Apr 2018 at 5:02 AM
In 3 we can use rabbithole rugs and do interiors of buildings. I do that a lot. The sim then just uses the rug when needed.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 8th Apr 2018 at 5:55 AM
I miss the open world. Make the neighborhood fill much more alive, Sims 4 worlds seem dead.

View all My Sims 4 Creations here https://kiarasimsfourmods.home.blog/

Patreon here www.patreon.com/kiarasims4mods

KiaraSims4Mods Discord - https://discord.com/invite/TykFPkY
Mad Poster
#29 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
5? One must assume there is a fifth title.

4? It's already semi-open. Whatever 'district' the player is in allows them, the player, to roam around its limited space. It's only the non-active lot interiors that are unloaded and require a load screen. Hence semi-open.

I don't personally consider that as a semi-close. As I can walk anywhere, like in someone's yard or front door, and the district is fully open in the district (semi-open, because your not witnessing/experencing the whole world/town/city), that's I would classify as semi-open world. I believe TS3 on consoles had sort of such thing.
Theorist
#30 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 9:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
Now don't get me wrong, the loading screens in TS4 are fucking irritating, especially on my shitty laptop that has the game running with several packs and a ton of mods and CC. But there is something to be said for actually being able to go in all the buildings (even if the tiny ass map only allows for a few community lots per world...but I digress) and have more than a handful of sims appear.

But you absolutely can't go in all the buildings in TS4. 90% of the structures you can see are set dressing and aren't even rabbit holes you can pretend to visit. A Rabbit hole is still better than a cardboard cutout of a pretty building you can't even go to :v
Scholar
#31 Old 11th Apr 2018 at 5:02 AM
I'd only want to see an open world come back if it isn't a facade that your sims can't truly explore (rabbit holes) the way it was in TS3. What's the point in making this big open world if you can't go in half the buildings and sims rarely show up in the areas you can explore? All you can really say is that it looks pretty.

The Sims 3 certainly had a rabbithole problem throughout its lifetime, and even when things like open restaurants were finally added they still had issues. However, at the end of the day, The Sims 3 *does* have a lot of open community lot buildings to visit. The ones that remain only as rabbitholes are pretty much just job/school buildings which, I mean, we never really had open in any previous game either they just weren't on the map.

I fail to see how TS4 really accomplishes anything different. TS3 had issues, but the TS4 has these issues, in enclosed spaces with loading screens. I'll take the open world of The Sims 3 any day. In my TS3 games, lots my sims go to do fill up with other Sims.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Forum Resident
#32 Old 16th Apr 2018 at 11:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bassoon_crazy
The Sims 3 certainly had a rabbithole problem throughout its lifetime, and even when things like open restaurants were finally added they still had issues. However, at the end of the day, The Sims 3 *does* have a lot of open community lot buildings to visit. The ones that remain only as rabbitholes are pretty much just job/school buildings which, I mean, we never really had open in any previous game either they just weren't on the map.

I fail to see how TS4 really accomplishes anything different. TS3 had issues, but the TS4 has these issues, in enclosed spaces with loading screens. I'll take the open world of The Sims 3 any day. In my TS3 games, lots my sims go to do fill up with other Sims.

I'm not saying I prefer TS4, especially when my loading screens feel about 5-10 mins long at a time. I'm just saying that if Open World ever comes back, I don't want it to do what TS3 did. I understand that it was a limitation of the game engine and that regardless, it did add much-needed improvements upon TS2, but with TS5 there shouldn't be any excuses for rabbit holes.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 3:13 AM
If I want to play a game with that many loading screens, I'll play Sims 2.
Field Researcher
#34 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 1:57 PM
I actually miss transportation in general. This is the first sims game where no single transportation is involved. The first sims has a bus, a cab, a hole where you could dive into. TS2 comes with cabs and carpools and with nightlife cars were introduced. Heck, you can even walk to a communitylot. TS3 has cars by default and also cabs again, carpooling as well. And also bicycles and even a scooter and jetski's. What does TS4 have? zippytyhezap, that's what. You bring up your map, choose destination, loadingscreen, zippythezap and poof, you're there. So unrealistic. While you do see cars driving. Guess that was added for the atmosphere. This makes TS4 a weak game in my opinion.
Yeah, open world is nice as well. One of the things which i like about TS3. That you can drive with your car through a whole neighbourhood. And thanks to freshprince you can do it in style. Have a bunch of cars from his site. Most of the time i play in Bridgeport and my sim lives on the other side, between the rich and famous. It's nice to see then your sim driving with a ferrari or lamborghini crossing the bridge and heading downtown. Since i also still play TS2 it's not the most important thing i miss. Transportation, that is what i miss the most. I really don't dig that "magic trick" stuff in ts4. That's why i still play TS2 and TS3. TS2 with it's agressive sims (and the fightings, which is funny) and TS3 with it's open world and story progression. TS4, well, i do play it now and then.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 28th Apr 2018 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by candesco
One of the things which i like about TS3. That you can drive with your car through a whole neighbourhood. And thanks to freshprince you can do it in style. Have a bunch of cars from his site. Most of the time i play in Bridgeport and my sim lives on the other side, between the rich and famous. It's nice to see then your sim driving with a ferrari or lamborghini crossing the bridge and heading downtown.

That is one of my favorite things in 3 also. No matter how many times I do it I still love to watch the car pass through the world on the way somewhere, especially at night with the headlights on. Pretty reckless drives but darn fun to watch. And the boats are fun to watch too. And I have a lot of custom cars also.
Test Subject
#36 Old 4th May 2018 at 2:10 AM Last edited by Chimp4Life161 : 4th May 2018 at 2:10 AM. Reason: Unsupported character?
I would prefer having more isolated lots a la The Sims because it would probably not have to use as much computing resources.
Instructor
#37 Old 4th May 2018 at 6:47 PM
lmao I'm laughing at the ones who have alienware machines. I mean my 5 year old PC is nothing fancy yet it still can run The Sims 3 with all 11 EPs, 9 SPs and 4GB mods and CCs flawlessly. The Sims 4 worlds are a joke, you can't even call it a world since it's too small and you can't add empty lot.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Field Researcher
#38 Old 4th May 2018 at 6:53 PM

Have you played Sims 3? Lots of venues are open. And a lot of the rabbithole buildings are closed in Sims 4 as well (school, careers) or non existent (city hall). In fact open world at least enables you to see those places, which I like. Sims showing up on community lots is only a problem with a low processor (and I think most nowadays computers can handle that?).
Field Researcher
#39 Old 4th May 2018 at 9:15 PM
I know everyone always equates the Open world of Sims 3 to ..."OH man I don't want that cause it'll break my computer"..... but what you need to realize is... if someone makes a Sims game, with an open world...it won't be the same game engine used on TS3. Newer computers, Newer Tech, means better game play. Look at all the games out there that essentially have an open world concept, and they run great. I mean, I don't think EA could pull it off, cause they are all about using older tech to work with older OS. Most other game companies make their games to accommodate Windows 7 and up. And I'm sure a lot of them will be made for just Windows 8 and up, cause at some point here, they will stop doing updates for 7. With that said.... Games will be made with stronger engines and require the user to upgrade their video cards, Ram, and so forth to accommodate the game... not the other way around.

Gaming is my therapy... so I will invest in a better computer, so that new games of today and tomorrow can be ran on it for years to come. I welcome a newer sims game with an open world and all the possibilities it could create....if done right.
Test Subject
#40 Old 5th May 2018 at 12:12 AM
I would like to play more of The Sims 3 with Ambitions and University, but it just seems too laggy and crashy.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 5th May 2018 at 11:35 AM
Me: I'm in my mum's car. C:
EA: Get out of the car!
Me: Awww
Theorist
#42 Old 5th May 2018 at 1:54 PM
Right click TS3W.exe (or your FPS Limiter)
Select open
Wait for game to load.
Problem solved.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Field Researcher
#43 Old 5th May 2018 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chimp4Life161
I would like to play more of The Sims 3 with Ambitions and University, but it just seems too laggy and crashy.

Just download some of Nraas Mods. Stuff like Overwatch, Error Trap, Master Controller. I would also recommend Story Progression and Debug enabler. Just make sure your game is up to date. This will fix lagging and crashing.
Test Subject
#44 Old 6th May 2018 at 12:26 AM
I do recall something about Overwatch and I seem to remember it being helpful, but I don't remember what it is. I'll have to look back into that this summer and get my mods sorted out. Do they also help with the load times when changing "worlds", if you know what I mean? (I think I remember it taking several minutes for my Sim to go from home to the University "world".
Top Secret Researcher
#45 Old 6th May 2018 at 4:53 AM
Overwatch and Error Trap are essential mods for Sims 3 (I wouldn't dream of playing without them), and you'll find them at NRASS. http://nraas.wikispaces.com/ as of now. (Wikispaces is closing and NRASS is moving, though I don't believe they've told us where, yet.)

ETA: Sounds like you also need NRASS' Traveler mod.
Field Researcher
#46 Old 31st May 2018 at 11:46 AM
I don’t miss open world. I never really explored the world in that sense, I’d only visit lots. And my poor computer couldn’t really handle it so it just made my whole game experience terrible. TS3 is my least played version of the Sims because of that (amongst other reasons).

I like how it works now - the load times are quick and you can usually explore quite a wide area surrounding your home without needing to load a lot, but I would like to see more of a variety of areas to visit.
Instructor
#48 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 10:12 AM
They should've kept faith with the original idea instead of running scared after Sim City crashed and burned. At least if it remained an online game, it would be expected to stay within the scope and limitations of that environment and the criticism it's faced as an offline single-player game wouldn't be nearly as bad.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 2:19 PM
"Yeah, but you'll have to pay another 70 dollars for that."

I miss the Sims 3 when you could have one sim at the movies on a date, another at the pool, one mourning people at the graveyard... even if many of these locations were rabbitholes it just felt more alive and relatable. The reason Sims 4 wasn't open world was because of the stupid loading times on people's Windows 7 computers back in Sims 3, but now that everyone has faster computers that shouldn't be an issue anymore. In real life I don't have to see a loading screen to say hi to my neighbors. EA cares more about money than the player's entertainment at this point, we might as well move on to another game franchise entirely.

ooh ee ooh a-ah ting-tang walla walla bing bang
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 2nd Jun 2018 at 4:04 PM
Which one tho? I don't see anything nearly resembling "The Sims" on the market. Sad reality's slowly crushing me, but really, why do fans need new itterations? Are they getting bored with old ones?

I never did, and I hope I still never will.
Page 2 of 2