Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 6 (Who?), Viewed: 5794 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2008 at 8:05 AM
Default Need help changing time-speed.
Hi.

I have been trying figure out a way to change the ingame clock to run slower (by making a mod with SimPE). I have looked through most of the BHAV's but i havent found anything there that indicate that it has to do with time.

What i want to do:

1. When the game runs on "realtime" speed, it should run significantly slower (like Time/2 or Time/4).
2. When it runs on speed x 2 (or faster) it should run at the normal speed defined within the game.

Any help or pointers on where to start would be helpful.
Advertisement
Retired Duck
staff: retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Jan 2008 at 8:03 AM Last edited by Echo : 6th Jan 2008 at 8:26 AM.
Time buttons aren't controlled by BHAVs, they're part of the engine. You can use BHAVs to switch between pause/normal/fast speeds, but you can't use them to change the rate that those speeds work.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
#3 Old 6th Jan 2008 at 8:27 AM
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=85710

It's been done already, too. But because much of the game relies on the clock for things, it really doesn't work as you'd expect (or want) for many things. Just kinda gotta accept that cooking a turkey and crossing from one side of the house to the other take about the same amount of time.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Retired Duck
#4 Old 6th Jan 2008 at 8:26 AM
Shows what I know.
The ModFather
#5 Old 6th Jan 2008 at 8:30 PM
If you want to slow down the entire game, then you can edit a game file to assign to each game speed (normal, fast and very fast) the desired simulation speed.
  1. Open the folder where the base game is installed, i.e. Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 (any EP installed is irrelevant: always look in the base-game folder).

2. Browse to TSData\Res\Config

3. Locate the file "TS2Config.txt", make a backup copy of it and put it in a safe place.

4. Open the mentioned file and edit the three lines:
    set AnimSpeedMedium 1.0
    set AnimSpeedFast 3.0
    set AnimSpeedUltra 21.0
    changing the three values at will. Of course, a value <1 means slower than normal (0.25 = normal/4 etc.)

5. Save the file and start the game: you will immediately see the game running slower, including all the animations, the clock, and all. Switch to the faster speeds (with the mouse or using the keys 1 - 2 - 3) to make the game run at the various speeds you have set in the config file.

NOTE: the slowdown will NOT affect some sound effects, like the speech; if you, for example, have chosen a value of 0.5 for the normal speed (thus forcing the game to run at half speed), you will hear the sims speaking with the normal speed. As a conseguence, the speech will not be in sync with the sound (the sound will end while the animation is still halfway). Similarly, if you have set a value of 1.0 (= standard speed) for the "SpeedUltra" parameter, when you select the fastest speed, the game will run normally, but the sound will be very quick and high-pitched.
Apart from this side effect, I don't believe there are any more problems in editing the said values at will.

NOTE 2: In case someone wonders, it's not possible to include those lines in the userStartup.cheat file: the game ignores them and always read those parameters from the base-game TS2Config.txt file.

Bottom line: Watching the game slowed down to 0.25 is quite funny It may be useful for sim-movies, I guess...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#6 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 6:15 AM
Reverse?
is it Possible To Put A Negative number in one of the Lines To Reverse Time In Game?
Like For An Example?

set AnimSpeedMedium 1.0
set AnimSpeedFast -1.0
set AnimSpeedUltra 21.0
Site Helper
#7 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 5:23 PM
Unlikely. However, if it does read signed numbers, it probably converts them to the equivalent unsigned number before using them, so you'd end up with a very fast game.

Section jump