Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 2:03 AM
Default WCIF A 50x50 home designed with all careers/activities in mind?
So I'm not a great housing designer, and my capabilities of utilizing space are fairly minimal. I was wondering if anyone has already built one, or knows of one, or would be willing to put a home together that covers all of the careers and activities as well as 4-5 bedrooms and 2-3 baths? Something under the 1 mil simoleon mark would be great!

Thanks for checking out my post
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 6:39 AM
I could build one for you. Anything specific you want? Style/colors/features?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 8:02 AM
I am big on dark colors - blacks/reds/browns. More modern style. If you're only building the house, cool, otherwise a garden and playground outside would be awesome. As for features inside, a nice kitchen, dining room that can host a nice party, living room with fireplace.. you know the necessities. 4-5 bedrooms, 2-3 baths. Gym, Creative area (Painting, Writing, Music, etc..), Gaming room, etc..
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 2:33 PM Last edited by jwilli : 1st Oct 2014 at 3:04 PM.
Found some inspiration so I've been working the last couple hours on something. What's done: Master Suite, Bed2, Bath2, Kitchen, 2 decks, garden (mostly), and overall layout of house. Still working on: 3 more bedrooms, 1.5 more baths, office, gym, hobby/skill area, family/living room, dining room, outside stuff, and polishing up outside of the house (painty things and yard). Also going to assume that at least 1 bedroom should be a child's, with toys and activities.

Edit: Lot is huge so I'll probably build an in-law unit or something in the back. Game room? The gym? I'll figure it out

Edit 2: I really wish there was a way to adjust wall height for individual rooms. I want vaulted ceilings in some rooms without having to add a second floor.

Album is on imgur:
http://imgur.com/a/ggMYE#0

If you see any changes you want or hate it or whatever, just let me know. I have nothing but free time so your wish is my command. Hope you like.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 5:24 PM
Hey, your design is looking nice. I was honestly looking for something a bit more "Mansion" like(which is why I mentioned the 1 million marker), with lots of interior space that takes up a good bit of the 50x50 lot and a 2nd floor. Where maybe the career/activities stuff (as well as kitchen, living, dining room, 1 bath) are on the 1st floor and the bedrooms on the 2nd. I'm not trying to be mean, and I do not mean to degrade your current work in any shape or form. I'd just rather be honest with you, than to let you keep going in the direction you are and then not use it. Your current design is great looking though, but I need something to spend this 1.3 mil my painter is sitting on LOL.
Test Subject
#6 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 6:18 PM
This is great, if Chris wants more of a mansion, I'd still love this sleek design.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 6:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by temptest
This is great, if Chris wants more of a mansion, I'd still love this sleek design.

I agree, its a great house! Just a bit small for what I'm looking for.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 10:05 PM Last edited by jwilli : 1st Oct 2014 at 10:45 PM.
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Mansion it is!
Edit: I had already been expanding this floor plan quite a bit to take up more space. It's actually become quite a large house with a second floor. Not sure where the price is at but it will be very expensive when I'm done. Still plan on leaving a a large outside area and living space. Room for things like a rocket (can place one but I put it on a new save and don't have a career one unlocked) and definitely the playground.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 2:39 AM Last edited by jwilli : 2nd Oct 2014 at 5:26 AM.
So far expanding the house has gone well. A lot of what was there is still intact. I have a music room, an art studio, a gym, a science room/workshop (scope/workbench/desk with comp.). Still have that same downstairs bed and bath. The second bedroom was converted to an office with 2 desks and bookshelf and stuff. There is one more room downstairs that I have no idea what to do with. Maybe another large bathroom. The rooms are all plenty large enough to suit their purposes. Upstairs has 4 more bedrooms. Those have yet to be furnished.

There is a huge back deck that leads to a launch pad area, a bbq/dining area where the observatory is, a playground and the place where I moved the gardening area. Plus there is room outside for landscaping and prettifying and stuff. The total project should be done fairly soon. Will edit with another imgur album after I take my puppy out for her walk..

EDIT: ok, new pics are up. same imgur link works. http://imgur.com/a/ggMYE/all

EDIT 2: Finished upstairs bedrooms. I made the mystery room downstairs into a locker room for the gym, since they are next to each other. It has 2 shower/toilet stalls, lockers, and seating. Time to landscape. Right now the value is at 410k. There are very few paintings throughout the house, which could increase lot value by tons. I can fit maybe another 100k into landscaping. Short of unlocking all the most expensive items, this thing is packed with stuff. I can still increase size and add a few rooms to try and get more value into it. That's the great thing about the new build engine. Easy to change your house around.

EDIT 3: Updated album with all rooms finished. Outside actually has more windows than the pics. Looks pretty much the same so I didn't screenshot.This house is huge. Pics really do it no justice.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 5:52 AM
Holy smokes! Now THATS what I'm talking about! Looks great!!!! I was so worried that with my previous comment you were just going to say "Well fluff you, I'm done" but you took it and went the direction I was hoping for. This is awesome. Thanks SO much, you are great at this stuff. I wish I had half the talent you have with building and design. I can't believe this place is only 410k, thats awesome. Even if you wanted to put another 100k into landscaping I'd be quite alright with that. With the Shrewd trait from Fabulously Wealthy, I make like 55k from interest every week alone so its not going to hurt my pocket. Painting is insane with cash flow.

Again, Thank you SOOOOO much for this. Its awesome. Is it uploaded to the Gallery?
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 6:06 AM
Haven't really started with the landscaping yet... Making it look good is a lot of work and consumes a lot of time. Was waiting for my coffee to kick in before giving it a go. Your choice whether I do it or not. I am, however, going to play this one at some point. True labor of love. Also going to playtest to making sure everything is routing properly.

As far as gallery, it would take a day or two to get approved here. When I save it to the in-game gallery, I'll update with title of lot so you can search for it. I am going to upload here once the landscape is done.

Edit: I'm so happy you like it. I really wanted to make something that would look great and have a sensible design. I honestly tried to break the bank on this one but the standard furniture and stuff isn't expensive enough. I could add a ton of fountains or decks but that would seemed like cheating. It feels good to come through on this for you. Enjoy the house. I know I will.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 7:14 AM Last edited by jwilli : 2nd Oct 2014 at 7:33 AM.
Lot is on the exchange. Named Serenity. Not very original but the house has a very Zen vibe to it. Played it a bit. I think you're going to like it.

Edit: Just noticed I forgot to shorten the stairs on the back deck after building the fence and shortening the decks to make room. Oh well, it's a simple drag one square to fix.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 9:46 PM
This place is awesome! I made a few minor adjustments to suit some needs, like expanding the painting room since I have so many painting career rewards. Since I expanded the painting room, I then expanded the master bedroom above it to fit the same width.

I wonder, if I ever wanted to expand the 2nd floor, do you think it would work with just putting flooring down on the open areas?
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 10:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chris41279
This place is awesome! I made a few minor adjustments to suit some needs, like expanding the painting room since I have so many painting career rewards. Since I expanded the painting room, I then expanded the master bedroom above it to fit the same width.

I wonder, if I ever wanted to expand the 2nd floor, do you think it would work with just putting flooring down on the open areas?

You would have to close off some walls upstairs first and make rooms. Floors need rooms. That open space is currently not classifying itself as one. But it can be done. I honestly thought the painter rewards would fit in there...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jwilli
You would have to close off some walls upstairs first and make rooms. Floors need rooms. That open space is currently not classifying itself as one. But it can be done. I honestly thought the painter rewards would fit in there...

Well with the Floor Lamp, Tabaret, Ballerina, Storage Rack and the Stack of Canvas as well as the Radio and End Table already there it was a bit on the claustrophobic side, So I just doubled the rooms size. It was no offense to your style, I just wanted to open it up a bit more so everything wasn't all jam packed on itself.

I'm in no need to expand the second floor now, I was just wondering if there were any requirements. Thanks for the info!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 11:48 PM
Well with the Floor Lamp, Tabaret, Ballerina, Storage Rack and the Stack of Canvas as well as the Radio and End Table already there it was a bit on the claustrophobic side, So I just doubled the rooms size. It was no offense to your style, I just wanted to open it up a bit more so everything wasn't all jam packed on itself.

No worries at all. Do whatever you want with it lol. No house is absolutely perfect. I love the house I live in but there are things I would change if I had a magic build tool. Just not the cathedral ceiling or sunken living room. Everything else can go.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 5:19 AM
Hmm, any idea why my sims can't route to the Observatory? I can't go on that section of the back area whatsoever.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 7:19 AM
Probably have to delete the fountain from underneath the stairs. It's the only thing I can think of that would make it do that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 11:02 PM
That fixed it, Thanks jwilli!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 10:11 AM
That fixed it, Thanks jwilli!

Not a problem. I actually just went and tried it to be sure that would work. It was a nice feature but oh well.
Test Subject
#21 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 11:23 AM
So I'm not a great housing designer, and my capabilities of utilizing space are fairly minimal. I was wondering if anyone has already built one, or knows of one, or would be willing to put a home together that covers all of the careers and activities as well as 4-5 bedrooms and 2-3 baths? Something under the 1 mil simoleon mark would be great!

Thanks for checking out my post

My Reflections build I think does everything but I have not put a gardening area in it. there is plenty of room for one. you can find it under my in game name TART4CUS in the gallery I am waiting for the upload to go live on this site. I designed the place with game play in mind and it has loads of free space for future items. Just remembered I have not put in the wood working bench and the children s activity tables but there is plenty of room for them.