Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jan 2015 at 11:11 AM
Scaled a maxis object with Blender and received an error message when importing it back into SimPe
Hello

I wanted to make a tree created by Maxis shorter in length. I cloned the object in SimPE and then extracted the tree's mesh (from GMCD) and texture. I imported the mesh in Blender and scaled it. Afterward I wrapped the texture around the mesh in Blender, to make sure that it still looked okay. Finally I exported the modified mesh.
When I then tried to import it in SimPe, I got the following message - "index was outside the bounds of the array".

Anyone can tell me what went wrong? If my description of the problem isn't detailed enough, then I can provide screenshots. I haven't had any experiences when it comes to 3D-modeling and all I'm set out to do is to create some basic modifications of the game's available objects.
Advertisement
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 8:12 PM
When exporting from blender, did you make sure to check "include normals"?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Klaartje
When exporting from blender, did you make sure to check "include normals"?

Thanks for the helpful reply. I checked a box named Write Normals (as include Normals wasn’t available) when I exported the object from Blender. I was then able to import it into SimPe. However, the object appeared really messy when I previewed it. Below this paragraph I’ve provided a screenshot of all the boxes, which were either checked or unchecked when I exported the object.

I have managed to a find workaround, sort of. After I had scaled the object in Blender, I imported it into Milkshape instead. I renamed its group name to that of the original object, which was “tree”. Thereafter I deleted the material “None” and exported it as a 5gd-file.
Back in SimPe, I simply replaced the original object with that of the scaled one.

The scaled tree now appeared in the game. However during a start up of the game, it is mentioned that the object is still unsave. There’s no GUID error, I’ve made sure of that. If anyone would have a look at the package file, I would certainly appreciate it. I will upload it in this post.

By the way, when I cloned the object in SimPe, I had all boxes checked except for "Pull Wallmasks, Pull Animations and Reference original Mesh". As I had mentioned before, I made sure that I had entered different GUIDs (simpy for GUID and Fallback GUID, which were generated through the Hash generator). Finally, I selected Fix integrity in Tools > Object Tools.

Here is a screenshot of the data from Milkshape, right before I exported the object from there:

Attached files:
File Type: rar  Miniature_EasyBay_Tree.rar (249.0 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 11:05 AM
Alright, let's see. I still use an old version of blender, somewhere along the line they changed "include normals" to "write normals", I'm glad that solved part of the issue. I'm not a very experienced mesher/object creator, but let me see if I can help you.
Quote:
However, the object appeared really messy when I previewed it.

Define messy A screenshot would help here

By workaround, you mean it didn't look messy anymore? Or that you could import it properly into simpe?

Quote:
However during a start up of the game, it is mentioned that the object is still unsave.

Is this the regular dialog box that appears when you install cc to your game? This one?

I tested your object in-game and I don't see any issues

(Excuse the crappy pic, I used my quick-and-dirty AnyGame set-up for this)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 12:06 PM Last edited by Pirat3 : 31st Jan 2015 at 8:06 AM.
Alright, let's see. I still use an old version of blender, somewhere along the line they changed "include normals" to "write normals", I'm glad that solved part of the issue. I'm not a very experienced mesher/object creator, but let me see if I can help you.

Define messy A screenshot would help here

By workaround, you mean it didn't look messy anymore? Or that you could import it properly into simpe?

It’s okay since I could import the object into SimPe, after first importing it from Blender into Milkshape. Currently I think that both 3D-editors have their own advantages. Milkshape is good for altering basic stuff, while Blender has its uses when it comes to more, dare I say, “advanced” operations :D.

Is this the regular dialog box that appears when you install cc to your game? This one?

I tested your object in-game and I don't see any issues

(Excuse the crappy pic, I used my quick-and-dirty AnyGame set-up for this)

Thanks for testing my object and thanks a bunch for clarifying the dialog box! At first I thought that only objects which would/were likely to create conflicts were reported in that box. Now I’ve noticed that all of the custom content is listed there, except for recolorings, wall-paintings, floor tiles and the like.