Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 6:58 PM Last edited by starpower_no : 9th Mar 2015 at 1:18 AM.
Default [SOLVED] Neck Gap & Missing feet
Hello~ I'm back with more noob struggles. (I imagine that I'm getting pretty annoying at this point.)

When I'm in milkshape and converting the meshed between ages, the shoes appear. They are most certainly there. However, in the groups tab, they are their own little independent file. I figure that I have to join it with the new mesh, but I don't know how. Also, there is a gab between the neck and head. I've seen vague stuff said about it. Do I need to snap vertices together? I saw something about that but I don't know what exactly to do.

Oh, and if it makes a difference, I'm converting Keoni's springbreak uniforms from teen to adult and it's a custom mesh.

If you need any other information, let me know~
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Mar 2015 at 8:04 PM
These are both doable fixes.

The neck gap can be fixed by copying the vertex and normal information from an existing adult mesh to your custom mesh. I recommend using the Vertex Data Merge and Normal Data Merge plugins to do this (that's what I use, and they work great... you can download them here). Import an existing Maxis adult mesh (top or full body... something with a neck) into your project. Do NOT add an additional skeleton, of course. In the Groups tab, make sure the imported Maxis adult mesh is ABOVE your custom mesh in the list; that will make MilkShape copy its information to your custom mesh, and not the other way around. Then just select two neck vertices at a time (one from each mesh) and do Vertex Data Merge and then Normal Data Merge. You only need to do this for the ring of vertices around the top of the neck. (In case you're curious about what we're doing here: Vertex Data Merge will get rid of the actual gap; Normal Data Merge will ensure there's no visible line on the mesh surface.)

As for the shoes... it's a little trickier. Usually, when shoes are a separate mesh group like that, it's because of the way the texture is mapped. The shoe texture is probably in an odd place, and it will probably overlap with the rest of the outfit. If you combine the mesh groups, you'll end up with a messed-up texture. You'll need to add groups to the recolour file. Instructions for doing that can be found in CatOfEvilGenius's alpha skirt tutorial. All an alpha skirt is, really, is a mesh with multiple groups. So the instructions will work for this shoe project, too. (I've done many projects of this kind recently; it's often simpler to add a new mesh group than to mangle the texture and struggle with the UV map to make your shoes fit. If you want to see an example, have a look at how a mesh like this is put together. It's got separate groups for the coat, the tights, and the boots. Sometimes there's just not enough room in that 1024x1024 space to squeeze everything in... so you have to try something different.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Mar 2015 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
These are both doable fixes.

The neck gap can be fixed by copying the vertex and normal information from an existing adult mesh to your custom mesh. I recommend using the Vertex Data Merge and Normal Data Merge plugins to do this (that's what I use, and they work great... you can download them here). Import an existing Maxis adult mesh (top or full body... something with a neck) into your project. Do NOT add an additional skeleton, of course. In the Groups tab, make sure the imported Maxis adult mesh is ABOVE your custom mesh in the list; that will make MilkShape copy its information to your custom mesh, and not the other way around. Then just select two neck vertices at a time (one from each mesh) and do Vertex Data Merge and then Normal Data Merge. You only need to do this for the ring of vertices around the top of the neck. (In case you're curious about what we're doing here: Vertex Data Merge will get rid of the actual gap; Normal Data Merge will ensure there's no visible line on the mesh surface.)

As for the shoes... it's a little trickier. Usually, when shoes are a separate mesh group like that, it's because of the way the texture is mapped. The shoe texture is probably in an odd place, and it will probably overlap with the rest of the outfit. If you combine the mesh groups, you'll end up with a messed-up texture. You'll need to add groups to the recolour file. Instructions for doing that can be found in CatOfEvilGenius's alpha skirt tutorial. All an alpha skirt is, really, is a mesh with multiple groups. So the instructions will work for this shoe project, too. (I've done many projects of this kind recently; it's often simpler to add a new mesh group than to mangle the texture and struggle with the UV map to make your shoes fit. If you want to see an example, have a look at how a mesh like this is put together. It's got separate groups for the coat, the tights, and the boots. Sometimes there's just not enough room in that 1024x1024 space to squeeze everything in... so you have to try something different.)

Thank you!