Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Mar 2015 at 10:48 PM
Default What professions are broken?
So, what Ambitions (or other EP) professions are broken? I don't really know and don't want to find out the hard way. I know the firefighter career is borked, but what else? I've heard that the private investigator is broken, but I tried it out 5 minutes ago and everything went fine.
Advertisement
Instructor
#3 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 12:04 AM
The Stylist profession is still pretty glitchy. Sometimes sims reset when you tell them to work, sometimes they won't gain experience after jobs, and sometimes sims will randomly cancel their appointments as soon as you try to do them. Lifeguard sometimes has some routing issues. Firefighters.. a glitch I've run into often is the emergency suddenly disappears as soon as my sim goes to take care of it, and I know I'm not the only one having this issue. Firefighters also don't always get credit for saving other sims from fires, making the LTW to save 30 sims near impossible.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 12:56 AM
I don't play the professions all that often but I have experienced problems with not being able to complete opportunities. Here's a couple of Tips:
Some could be genuine game glitches however these were supposedly reported as all being fixed in one of the patches. If you are still having problems completing an opportunity it could be due to the fact the lots, buildings on a lot or objects needed to complete the opportunity are not available. In some cases certain skills are needed for objects to become available. There are a couple of things you can do to be able to move forward in the career:
Try to identify what is missing in the game and add it to the game
Set the Opportunity as completed and move on to the next one

There are some Tips for possible glitches At The Bottom Of This Page
Field Researcher
#5 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 3:04 AM
Private Eye works fine but if you have Supernatural you will get the 'Case of the Golden Llama' which is a bug as it belongs to the Fortuneteller career. Just cancel it and find a new one.

Ghosthunter I had no problems with but my sim only got to level 3 or so so no clue if further stages are borked.

Firefighter is a pain in the neck. The small house fires are broken beyond all recognition as they drop from the queue almost instantly. And it's a long slow slog of skilling before you can get building disasters, and even then they're few and far between. If you don't mind your sim hanging around in the firehouse working out and chatting with co-workers all day, go for it. Further levels may be okay, but I haven't gotten there yet.

The rest, I haven't really played.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 5:44 AM
I was playing the firefighter profession a little while ago and I didn't have too much trouble. Not enough to stop me from playing it, at least. A few dropped emergencies and at some point, my sim stopped changing into the firefighter uniform when he went to handle emergencies, but he still broke down doors, rescued sims, and fought fires so. He also liked to stand in the flames when he was trying to put them out?? I actually had to build him a pool to put himself out in at one house. Occasionally I had a routing issue where my sim couldn't get onto the lot and I'd have to move one of the panicking sims out of the way. Not a big deal really, just annoying. I can't speak to other professions. Firefighter is the only one I've played in the last few years.

The impression I get with ts3 is that everyone has a different experience. For instance, Nylaba says small house fires are broken beyond repair in their game, but they worked just fine in mine. Really, the only way to tell how the professions work in your game is to try them out yourself.
Instructor
#7 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 7:11 AM
I wonder if the Ghost Hunter is still problematic?

I forget the detail, but at higher level, there's a kind of ghost mission that is unsolvable.

So... EA stopped making patch to fix it???
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#8 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 10:29 AM
There are some opportunities in the Ghost Hunter career that are also wrongly taken over from the Fortune Teller, iirc.
Another problem for Ghost Hunters is that roof decorations can be posessed by spirits but cannot be reached, therefore a Poltergeist job can fail, or rather is impossible to complete. The other jobs all work fine again. I think the trouble job was the one where you had to discover real human ghosts first which didn't spawn after discovery. But that seems to have been fixed in a patch.

With the Private Investigator I had no difficulties at all, except for that one opportunity mentioned above.

Most failures of house fires in the Firefighter career that I've encountered (a long time ago when I last played one) were due to the way the target lot was built. If, for example, the house is surrounded by a fence that goes to the very lot borders, the job will fail, because the firefighter has to remain on the lot but leaving the lot for just a second because of having to route around fences or plants will cancel the job immediately. This same reason can also cancel Stylist jobs. With the Firefighter I have the impression that the game calculates the routing beforehand and cancels a job if it finds the lot too difficult to route. I think that's one of the reasons why the houses in Twinbrook are so spacious.

Lifeguard I've had no trouble at all with. But I only played it in Isla Paradiso where the beaches extend into the water.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 2:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nylaba
If you don't mind your sim hanging around in the firehouse working out and chatting with co-workers all day, go for it.

That's my idea of a good time.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Alchemist
#10 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 3:01 PM
There used to be a bug in Ghost Hunter profession where the ghostly presence job won't spawn properly. It has been fixed in a patch, though, but I forgot which patch. Supernatural, I think? It was either Supernatural that broke it or fixed it. But well, I heard it has been fixed.

I once read in the WTF or discovery thread that someone played as a Firefighter in Midnight Hollow. When the Sim was called in an emergency, the fire at the house was on the roof. It was unreachable, and therefore cannot be completed.

This was a really old experience, but my Firefighter Sim was on a job to rescue Sims and put out fires in a house. While my firefighter saved the trapped Sims, I ordered his roommate (who's not a firefighter) to put out the fires. The extinguished fire didn't count in the tally if other Sims do the job, so basically my Sim couldn't complete the job and got an F.

Another thing is that I heard that sometimes in Private Investigator profession, the target Sim to be interviewed may be a pet like a horse. I've seen this several times in some forums. I don't know if it's completable or not.

Just call me Nikel
Alchemist
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 3:59 PM
It's quite sad, I used to have a blast playing the firefighter career
Field Researcher
#12 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 5:44 PM
I could never get the P.I. career to work, though I suspect that had more to do with mods (NRaas, etc) than anything else. I've never had issues playing as a stylist or firefighter.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 6:38 PM
I'm playing P.I right now and everything is working great, except for the fducking clients! One girl had my sim waiting for 4 hours before she let my sim in. I made sure she would never forget my sim by insulting her deeply. And as my P.I was about to interview a sim, he just went to work like that - zero fducks given
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#14 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 7:02 PM
If you click on the opportunity tab instead of doing the job by going to their place, waiting for them and then choose the interaction from the social menu, Sims will actually stop whatever they do and wait for you. They will even leave work sometimes and if they're at home position themselves comfortably next to the mailbox.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 8:41 PM
I haven't tried this with the PI career but it worked for me with the Stylist Career ... so maybe it's worth a try for some of you having a problem with clients or interviews:
When my sim, who is in the Stylist profession, attempts to complete a job, her client is at work and is unavailable for her to work with or is leaving just as my sim arrives.
This is an unfortunate side effect of high level simulation with SP pushiing sims to work. If Sims have a RabbitHole job, they are set on specific times to work. Either you have to wait until the Client is done with their shift and becomes available for your assignment OR:
Using Master Controller:
Have your Sim stand on the pavement near your client house (if you know where she lives), do not stand on the lot.
Pause the game, then click a piece of the wall of the house, then do Nraas> MasterController> Reset Lot.
The Client will be instantly reset and you are able to interact and complete your assignment without the Client losing their job.
Test Subject
#16 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 1:04 AM
i have ambitions and i have played all of the professions to level 10 without any glitches or anything. they all worked out fine and i had no problem.

I've got this place that I filled with empty space
Oh, I'm trying not to face what I've done
My Hopeless Opus
Alchemist
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 8:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Empress Simderella
i have ambitions and i have played all of the professions to level 10 without any glitches or anything. they all worked out fine and i had no problem.

Did you play them with patch 1.67? Did you not get cancelled out fires in the beginning of the firefighter career?
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 5:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
I don't play the professions all that often but I have experienced problems with not being able to complete opportunities. Here's a couple of Tips:
Some could be genuine game glitches however these were supposedly reported as all being fixed in one of the patches. If you are still having problems completing an opportunity it could be due to the fact the lots, buildings on a lot or objects needed to complete the opportunity are not available. In some cases certain skills are needed for objects to become available. There are a couple of things you can do to be able to move forward in the career:
Try to identify what is missing in the game and add it to the game
Set the Opportunity as completed and move on to the next one
There are some Tips for possible glitches At The Bottom Of This Page

ZenGarden's patch question reminded me of something here. Although I don't play professions often, since using the Super Patch I have not had trouble with the professions when I do play them unless it was due to one of the situations I mentioned in my OP...missing objects, skills, etc.
Theorist
#19 Old 27th Mar 2015 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I haven't heard of any profession being broken, then again I don't really play the professions. I've doodled around ghost hunter, stylist, architecture, author, firefighter, and lifeguard... and they all seem to work just fine.

Other than Stylist, interior designer, author and firefighter, I don't really do the other Ambitions professions. I always have one stylist and one interior designer in each world. I haven't found anything glitchy with them from Day 1.

The firefighter drove me nuts cause more times than not, he/she couldn't get into the house to put out the fire so I gave up on it.

I tried private investigator once and it bored me to death so I never bothered again.

Didn't bother with ghost hunter cause ghosts don't interest me and I ignore them in the game. I don't get the attraction.

I don't want try the day care one - I have no patience for that many babies/toddlers. I'm good with one or two but any more than that and I go nuts.

I have yet to try lifeguard.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#20 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 12:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
.....Lifeguard I've had no trouble at all with. But I only played it in Isla Paradiso where the beaches extend into the water.

I played in Barnacle Bay, and didn't have a problem. But the beaches in BB are (quite reasonably) not set up for lifeguards, so I had to edit town to add things (lifeguard chairs, toilets, barbecues, things to attract sims to the beach such as the surf station or slip and slides). And found that if you wait till the morning when your sim gets the call to go to X beach and then go into edit town to add stuff, it resets their day of work. So instead of usefully going off to save lifes, they hang around the house and distract their author spouse or ghost hunter brother in law

I didn't max any of their careers, because I was playing a random legacy with this family, and had to have my lifeguard be a 5 star celebrity. And discovered how much I dislike the celebrity status. So got bored with playing them. But ghost hunting worked fine up to, hmm, I think we got to at least level 8, having started in Isla Paradisio and then moved to Barnacle Bay when the lag in IP on my laptop got too much for me.

Quote: Originally posted by nikel23
.....I once read in the WTF or discovery thread that someone played as a Firefighter in Midnight Hollow. When the Sim was called in an emergency, the fire at the house was on the roof. It was unreachable, and therefore cannot be completed.....

I think this could also be a problem in Dragon Valley as the houses have roof decorations there as well. This could affect ghost hunting too , if the poltergeists got into the gable ends.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#21 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 4:59 PM
Apparently, I tried out the firefighter career in Lucky Palms and it worked like a charm
Mad Poster
#22 Old 29th Mar 2015 at 5:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MistressTiffany
The Stylist profession is still pretty glitchy. Sometimes sims reset when you tell them to work, sometimes they won't gain experience after jobs, and sometimes sims will randomly cancel their appointments as soon as you try to do them.

Sounds like real life.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 30th Mar 2015 at 7:36 PM
I haven't had any problems with them, but it's been a LONG time since I tried the Stylist and Architectural Designer ones because they're just too damn hard. The clients are never happy, even if I meet all their objectives. Like, sorry for doing what you wanted? My bad.

But for the love of god, never play a Firefighter in Isla Paradiso. EA's bonehead decision to not connect the islands in any way makes it impossible. What places are like that in real life?? What idiots would put roads on the islands but no bridges connecting them?