Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th May 2015 at 3:49 PM
Default A quick question about two sims 3 worlds
Correct me if I'm wrong but Isla Paridiso is the world inspired by the Caribbean islands. Sunlit tides is inspired more from Hawaii is that correct?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th May 2015 at 3:57 PM Last edited by HarVee : 29th May 2015 at 6:21 PM.
Both are inspired by the tropics. I wouldn't say ST is heavily inspired by Hawaii though, Sunlit Tides seems to be a 50/50 mash up of Hawaii and French Polynesia, while Isla Paradiso is definitely largely inspired by the Caribbean however.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th May 2015 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I don't think they're inspired by any particular place to be honest. There are tons of island paradises out there in the real world and this is simply just the Sims version. Some say the same thing about Bridgeport being inspired by San Francisco, but again there are lots of cities like Bridgeport.

So by that logic, Starlight Shores isn't inspired by Hollywood and Lucky Palms by Las Vegas then?

#5 Old 29th May 2015 at 5:22 PM
I think some cleaver EA guys did some island globetrotting as 'business research', but got too wasted to know where they actually were, at times.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 29th May 2015 at 5:31 PM
Being a European, talking about being influenced by is the word here. It doesn't really fit anywhere as several has said already. You can look at the objects following the worlds: http://store.thesims3.com/worldProd...ategoryId=12642

If you talk about being inspired someone is going to be offended, always. Influenced on the other hand is more lose, at least in my vocabulary. What you do about EA's objects with a bit of influence is up to you. It's the way it often goes when Hollywood tries to make a movie from somewhere in France, the Frence will never watch it
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 29th May 2015 at 6:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Both are inspired by the tropics and Polynesian culture. I wouldn't say ST is heavily inspired by Hawaii though, Sunlit Tides seems to be a 50/50 mash up of Hawaii and the Caribbean islands, while Isla Paradiso is definitely largely inspired by French Polynesia however.
I have to disagree on this one. Isla Paradiso has hispanic elements and names and art from Central America and the Caribbean, like Aztec culture, so it is Caribbean - Atlantic Ocean. Sunlit Tides is Pacific, Polynesian with Tiki elements, nothing Caribbean there.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th May 2015 at 6:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
I have to disagree on this one. Isla Paradiso has hispanic elements and names and art from Central America and the Caribbean, like Aztec culture, so it is Caribbean - Atlantic Ocean. Sunlit Tides is Pacific, Polynesian with Tiki elements, nothing Caribbean there.

That's actually what I meant. I have a tendency to get them mixed up.

dodgy builder
#10 Old 29th May 2015 at 7:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
That's actually what I meant. I have a tendency to get them mixed up.

That is easily done
Mad Poster
#11 Old 29th May 2015 at 10:00 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but if you read the back stories on the townies you will find that there is a cousin of ST's island royalty, the Kahales, living in IP. I don't know very many crossovers between real islands in the two different oceans like that, so that one right there threw all sense of realism out the window when I saw it. Not that there was a tremendous amount of realism there to begin with.
Inventor
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th May 2015 at 10:36 PM
I realize this music came with Island Paradise, but it really fits Sunlit Tides well in my opinion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayhD8OgYyvw
One Minute Ninja'd
#13 Old 29th May 2015 at 11:20 PM
Are you implying there are lots of gambling towns in desert environments? or lots of movie towns besides Hollywood? Perhaps Bollywood?

Actually, New York has a huge film industry, second only to LA. Bridgeport as a film community was more big city than LA. Besides, if you wanted to model off of a town that was all about music like SHT, Nashville might have been a better model, or even Branson, Missouri, rather than an LA community. Hell, Branson's total existence is owed to the recording industry.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th May 2015 at 1:23 AM
I don't think they're inspired by any particular place to be honest. There are tons of island paradises out there in the real world and this is simply just the Sims version. Some say the same thing about Bridgeport being inspired by San Francisco, but again there are lots of cities like Bridgeport.

General Guesses

Sunset Valley- Central/ Northern California
Twinbrook- Louisiana/ Mississippi
Bridgeport- Seattle (based on topography)
Appaloosa Plains- Utah, somewhere Midwest-ish
Starlight Shores- Beverley Hills/ Southern California
Moonlight Falls- Washington State
Isla Paradiso- Carribean-Cancun

Riverview- Midwest/ General America
Barnacle Bay- Whatever/ Channel Islands
Hidden Springs- Whatever/ Washington State
Lunar Lakes- Space
Lucky Palms- Nevada/ Palm Springs
Sunlit Tides- Polynesia/ Tahiti/ Bora Bora
Monte Vista- Tuscany
Aurora Skies- Iceland
Dragon Valley- Ireland
Midlight Hollow- Whatever/ Appalachians
Roaring Heights- Miami

Sims University- East Coast/ Maine/ Massachusetts
Oasis Landing- Whatever
Mad Poster
#15 Old 30th May 2015 at 2:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
General Guesses

Lunar Lakes- Space

I'm going to let you have all of those except this one. Everyone knows that LL was a hoax. The entire world is really a large movie set somewhere in New Mexico.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 30th May 2015 at 2:16 AM
My in-game belief also considers that Dragon Valley isn't really a fantasy world, it's just a very large LARP camp on a coast in Ireland.
Instructor
#17 Old 30th May 2015 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I'm going to let you have all of those except this one. Everyone knows that LL was a hoax. The entire world is really a large movie set somewhere in New Mexico.

Like maybe...
Roswell?
Mad Poster
#18 Old 30th May 2015 at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Eronel
Like maybe...
Roswell?

Shhhhh! The earthlings weren't supposed to know about that yet.
Instructor
#19 Old 30th May 2015 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Shhhhh! The earthlings weren't supposed to know about that yet.

I'm telling MUFON!!
Forum Resident
#20 Old 30th May 2015 at 5:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Barnacle Bay- Whatever/ Channel Islands

Most of your guesses I agree with (or just don't know the appropriate part of the US), but how does Barnacle Bay have anything to do with the Channel Islands?? Barnacle Bay has Palm trees - while it doesn't seem to be as close to the Equator as either Isla Paradiso or Sunlit Tides, it's a lot closer than the Channel Islands, which have a similar climate to southern England or Brittany. Did you mean somewhere else, or is there a similarity I haven't spotted?
Mad Poster
#21 Old 30th May 2015 at 5:50 AM
There's definitely a lot of differences, but the overall form I feel comes from the Channel Islands:

+ A general history of piracy around the English Channel.

The palm trees are a disrepency, but I guess that you could explain it away by saying that the palms are a hardy species and the rest of the island is temperate (http://www.palmsociety.org/members/...0/040-09.shtml). Also had to do with the fact that this was one of the earlier worlds and wasn't really themed all that much outside of "pirates"

Definitely wished that the Sims Store did a British world, the first few worlds were such missed opportunities.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 30th May 2015 at 6:58 AM
Are you implying there are lots of gambling towns in desert environments? or lots of movie towns besides Hollywood? Perhaps Bollywood?

You'd actually be quite surprised at how many towns in the U.S west have their roots in gambling.