Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 1:00 AM Last edited by NeonSim : 21st Apr 2014 at 12:14 AM.
Life's a Routine Challenge
:lovestruc

Many Simmers focus on getting their Sim's to the tops of their careers instead of focusing on their Sims family life. But real life is much more then career climbing. We all have routines that make up our life and this challenge will focus on them. Its not so much a challenge but a list of things to make game play more like a real life routine.

Home employment is best for this challenge as it will allow your Sims more free time and flexibility but their careers are up to you.

Make either a single or married couple in any way you choose. You can also create relatives for them as well such as elderly parents and siblings too. Move these relatives out after you purchase your home. This way you have an extended family in town. The use of money and motive cheats are up to you.

If you have Seasons then set each season to 10 days and the life span as follows

Baby: 4 days
Toddler: 7 days
Child: 14 days
Teen: 14 days
YA: 25 days
Adult: 40 days
Elder: 15 days

If your Sim is single then get them married and have kids. If you made a couple then move straight to having children. More then 2 kids might make things a bit hectic and hard to follow so I suggest only 2 kids. -----

I will use my own Sim family to demonstrate how things work so its easier for you to follow.---

Each Sim in your home should have a predestined hobby. It can change as they age or stay the same. They should spend at least 2 hours or more each week doing this hobby.

e.g. Mum- Tends to her herb garden
Dad- Goes windsurfing
Sally (teen girl) – Takes photos of nature
Timmy (male child) – Collects bugs

“Me” Time

Choose one day per week when each parent has some 'me' time. I take Mum to the Spa every Thur morning for a manicure and facial and Dad spends every Wed night bowling. (req Uni) You can choose the day and how long they spend just as long as they get some time to themselves doing something fun, even if its staying at home sculpting or painting.

Extra Curricular Activities

Each child should be involved in an after school activity. You can sign them up at school or make your own community lots for a custom activity. For example I made a soccer field that Timmy visits every Tue afternoon for 'Soccer Training”.

Vacation

If you have WA then take the family on at least one Vacation to any chosen destination you wish. Spend time eating local foods, buying souvenirs and doing anything else family orientated. If you dont have WA or dont like travelling then you can take them or a custom made resort in your neighbourhood (req Island Paradise) or take them camping at a custom made camp ground. Take sleeping bags and snacks in their inventories if you dont have tents.

Pets

If you have the Pets EP then get your family any kind of pet once all toddlers have aged up. It will be the kids/teens responsibility to take care of it. This teaches them responsibility. If you have a cat or dog then take it on a walk at least once a week.

Family Sundays

Sunday is a day for the family. You should spend this day having all family members interact together. They can have a massive snowball fight, build stronger relationships, watch a movie, swim, have a BBQ or any number of other things. You can invite the extended family over to join in, invite them out for the day or just have them over for dinner.

Date Night

Each Saturday night is Date night for my parent Sims. Get a sitter if the kids are too young to be left alone. You can choose any activity such as dinner, a festival, a movie or whatever. This is a chance for your parent Sims to reconnect.

Special Occasions

Take advantage of special occasions in the game and really celebrate them. Whether its a birthday, Leisure Day, a Wedding, Graduation or any other milestone. Don't just treat these days like any other day.

When Timmy graduated high school I had all family members attend the ceremony and then I took them out for lunch at the diner. He invited his friends over for a Bon Fire party afterwards and I had each parent give him a gift that he can use when he moves out. Dad gave him a laptop and Mum gave him a scooter.

Pay attention to the little things

Its the little things we overlook in the game that can make it feel more realistic. When my parent Sims wake up I dont just send them straight to the bathroom. I make them hug and ask how the other slept. After dinner I sometimes have my Sims thank the other for cooking. When my kids bring home friends I have the parents introduce themselves. After school I have one of the parents greet the kids and ask them how their day was.

---------

Once the children have moved out of home your challenge is over. You can carry the challenge over to the next generation if you like.

Scoring:

You can ignore scoring if you wish

+15 for creating extended family in CAF

+5 for each time a family member spends time on their predestined hobby each week and -5 if they miss it

+5 each time a child/teen attends their extra curricular activity

+5 each time a parent has “me” time

+10 for each time an event is celebrated (bdays, proms, weddings etc)

+10 for adopting a cat, dog or horse and +5 for any minor pets (birds, rodents etc.)

+10 for each Date Night and -10 for each time its missed

+15 for each teen that gets their Drivers Licence

+20 when a child becomes best friends with a parent

+20 for going on a Vacation

+40 if you never used money cheats

+50 if you never used a single motive cheat

---------------------------
My Build A Museum Challenge

Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 1:11 AM
Wow! This is really good! I really like your idea, and it's very creative. I will try this after I finish my current challenge!
Test Subject
#3 Old 20th Apr 2014 at 3:28 AM
Omg!!! This is awesome, I love this challenge so much already I just finished the Kicked Out Artist Challenge so I'll definately start this one as soon as I can!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 12:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th May 2014 at 12:53 PM
Has anyone tried this out?
Test Subject
#6 Old 9th May 2014 at 11:10 AM
I'm definitely going to start this I prefer my sims to live 'realistically' so this is perfect :D
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 17th May 2014 at 8:26 AM
well i decided to give it a chance, even made a character sketch the original family is the O'Viera

Duncan O'Viera:

Hobbies: drinking, games, martial arts, hacking
Traits: Computer wiz, disciplined, brave
flaws: absent minded, innapropiate

Rachel O'Viera

Hobbies: Winemaking, gardening, spa pampering, doesn't like to wear shoes
Traits: hopeless romantic, artistic, loves the outdoors
flaws: loser, avant garde

Don O'Viera

Extra curricular: Boy scout
Traits: brave, disciplined, athletic
flaws: developing because he hates school

Alice O'Viera

Extra curricular: Ballet
Traits: Genius
Flaws: Diva, Coward
(unlike her twin, she is the girly girl ace type in school)

Carly O'Viera

Extra curricular: Fruit squisher
Traits: Athletic, Savy Sculptor
Flaws: Slob, Rebelious

Possible supportive character
Gramps (?) Carnation
Hobbies: gardening, drinking, thinkering
Traits: Nurturing, good, charismatic
Flaws: Absent Minded, Clumsy

Villians:

Masha O'Viera (aka Duncan's little sister)
Traits: Mean Spirited, Evil, no sense of humor, genius, couch potato
Bio: she is the University Pro Student, Grandma O'Viera used to compare both of them and always wanted Duncan to be as good student as his little sister. However, Duncan's brainpower was null and failed at school, got bullied constantly and finally ditched education. She hates Duncan because she thought he got "spoiled and pampered" but the truth is that Duncan was simply not made for school and skipped it to concentrate on his martial training.

Rose Carnation (aka Gramps' wife)
Traits: Snob, Diva, Dislikes Children, Neat, Evil
Bio: she is Rachel's mom, she is hatted by both Duncan and Rachel. Duncan wants to kill her because of his devotion to Rachel (and because he is a "not so smart Crackhead who is not worthy to mix with our blood" man), Rose was cruel with Rachel all of her life, the classical abusive parent.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 19th May 2014 at 2:47 PM
I think il bookmarkthis and try it, It sounds like a perfect family! (to bad all familys can't be like this 3= )
#9 Old 23rd May 2014 at 10:49 AM
,-.
/$$|
,;$'`:
/ $' `,
| ` \,
|,m. ,\_
|Y"F ,-,$$ `.
|`-'/-'$$,::.\
\ ;$';::: )
,:\ $':::;,'_
_,---------.__ ,.. ::'\ `';::',-' \
($$$"' (88") `-.;:::;, ) `',-dP : `,
`--. ,--, `-.|"-., --. : \,
\_ `-',$$$:. \ -'\`-._ `' : \__
`.`$$$$"',.:::/ `.-'\ `--._ `---._________,'`._,'
) .:::::::'/, \`. \ `--------------------"""'
`-.`:::'_,'P / ` \_|
`---'/: (; :
`. : : |
`-. ..|
`. |
): Actias Isis
||
||
||
||
|'
/' I might try it
/|
( /
)
'
Field Researcher
#10 Old 23rd May 2014 at 2:40 PM
I recommend every one and awhile the child having nightmares and having to sleep with the parents, providing the dad or mom gives up there spot. xD