Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 12:49 AM
Default Correctly naming custom interactions
Hi all^^
This is something which is really pissing me off. I made a new trait, perfectly working in his stat changes and whims. However, whenever I try to tie a social interaction to it (specifically, the Beguile interaction, but it hasn't worked with any other custom interaction), it doesn't appear in the pie menu. I'm pretty sure the problem is the instance of the file, because it works when I use its default name as a default replacement. However, whenever I try to make it an override for my custom trait, it simply doesn't show. This is what I did:
- I've read the Maxis Guide on How to Tuning
- Gave the interaction a unique name (DrHouse93:interaction_SuccubusTrait_Seduce) and converted to FNV 64-bit with high bit using Fogity's Hasher to change his instance
- Changing the decimal value of the interaction in the same way, by using Fogity's Hasher
- In the "test_globals" tags I replaced the default Beguiling trait with my own
- Added the decimal value of the interaction to the "interaction_items" of my trait buff
- Added the interaction in the list of the super_affordances in a custom sim_object
- I even tried using Zerbu's Mod Workshop, which automatically clones the resource with the instance with high bit

However, nothing of this worked. The interaction simply doesn't appear on the pie menu. I don't know how I could name the instance, I tried every combination possible. I'm sending to you the file, so you can actually look at it and tell me what I'm mistaking. Hope you can help me,
Greetings^^
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DrHouse93_SuccubusTrait.zip (10.0 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 2:34 AM
-- There is nothing in your STBL that looks like the name of an interaction .. what would we look for in the pie menu?

-- There is no DrHouse93:interaction_SuccubusTrait_Seduce in your package

-- mixer_social_Beguile_targeted_romance_alwaysOn_trait would have to have an ID of 0xC740BACA84F4418F / 14357680991033901455 if it were custom, but in your package the ID is 0xF34973723CC4C540 / 17530669958999360832 .. why is the name still the original name? The name of that (and also of "Buff_Trait_Succubus") ought to be unique, like DrHouse93_whatever, and names and IDs need to match. Or is that what you mean by "it works when I use its default name as a default replacement"?

-- "However, whenever I try to make it an override for my custom trait, it simply doesn't show" -- what do you mean by that? It sounds like you'd want to override your own custom trait somehow, which is probably not the case.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 9:34 AM
Thanks for your reply^^
Yes, the only STBL files in the package are those about the trait. The interaction should use the default name ("Beguile"). Do I need to add an STBL file for the name of the interaction, even if it's using its default name?

The interaction has that name/instance because it's the last one I gave it to it while attempting to make it working. In the beginning it had the name "DrHouse93_SuccubusTrait_interactionSeduce" with its appropriate instance, but still it didn't work.

I explained bad the last point, what I meant is that the interaction doesn't show up in the pie menu each time it has a custom name and instance, while it does if I use its default name and instance

Last thing: should I change the name of the buff to "DrHouse93_SuccubusTrait_Buff"? Because it works with the actual name, and on the other hand it didn't whenever I changed its name
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 3:17 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 24th Nov 2015 at 3:30 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by DrHouse93
The interaction should use the default name ("Beguile"). Do I need to add an STBL file for the name of the interaction, even if it's using its default name?

No, you can use existing strings -- I was just wondering what the name was meant to be (in case you were trying to change it but forgot to change/include the actual string)

When everything works as long as you use the names of things you copied, but stops working when you give them individual names/IDs, you are most probably missing some parts (that exist for the original IDs but not yours). I haven't done anything with social interactions yet, so not sure about the sim_object affordances .. maybe someone else can help you there, now that it's a bit clearer what you were trying to do (thanks for the additional info!).

Have you tried adding your interaction via scripting? http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=546901 -- That might be a more future-proof approach anyway.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Nov 2015 at 7:19 PM Last edited by DrHouse93 : 24th Nov 2015 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Updating my post
Yes, I did saw that post, and I also tried any possible script found there (I even followed scumbumbo's tutorial) but still nothing worked. Today I tried to give all the resources the same name scheme ("DrHouse93_SuccubusTrait_", then adding the name of the resource, such as Buff, Whimset, etc.). It still doesn't work. The interaction is not willing at all to show up
The problem is that I also tried to give the interaction just a different name and instance, leaving the rest unchanged (as if it was a clone of the original). Nothing of this worked

EDIT: This is the trait with the last modifications made this morning
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DrHouse93_SuccubusTrait.zip (10.7 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 12:12 AM
See post #6 of that thread -- I believe that was your problem:

Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
So it seems SocialMixerInteractions aren't added to the sim's super affordance list, but rather to a similar list stored in a snippet tuning.

I simply overrode that snippet to test (0x7DF2169C-0x00000000-0x0000000000005FBE social_Mixers_Romance_NonTouching), but that is not an approach I would recommend -- check scumbumbo's post for how to add on to the list via scripting.
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 11:21 PM
I didn't even know about the existence of a "snippet" category ._.
I actually thought the snippet scumbumbo was referring to on his post was a pie menu xD
Anyway, today I tried to create a custom snippet menu for the mixer_socials_romantic_NonTouching, then I tried to implement scumbumbo's code for social interactions (I even installed Python 3.5), always following his tutorial about it. The result?

This is the new zip file, containing also the Python scripts:
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DrHouse93_SuccubusTrait.zip (11.7 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#8 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 11:38 PM
Did you check whether everything works when you override the snippet tuning? Because if it does, your issue would be with the add-on scripting and not your mod per se .. I'd post in the scripting thread in that case.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 8:46 PM
Some more news: I tried to remove the scripts and to implement both a new snippet resource and a new TestSetInstance called by the interaction (in a similar way to interactions for the Romantic trait), but, of course, it didn't work. So I did what you suggested, I implemented a snippet resource with default name and instance and with my interaction added...and of course it worked -_-
So, I definitely think the problem is in the scripts AND in the instance of any custom file cloned from the original one and not made with an appropriate tool (for example, making a custom trait with Zerbu's BAT Factory works for me. Making a custom trait by cloning and changing name/instance of original resource, however, doesn't work). This is the new file. You can find the Python scripts in the previous one. I didn't zip them together because I deleted them, but basically they're exactly the same as in the previous version
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DrHouse93_SuccubusTrait.zip (11.4 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 8:55 PM
If by "implemented a snippet resource with default name and instance" you mean you made an override for that snippet tuning, and everything worked fine then, that means there is *no* problem with your names or IDs. The game just needs to be informed that they exist.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 11:23 PM
This was the code of the override snippet when I added it to the package and it worked:

And its name was S4_7DF2169C_00000000_0000000000005FBE.xml, so I think we're basically saying the same thing xD

The problem is, as you mentioned, why the damn game doesn't recognize my custom instances, therefore it ignores the files? And also, why it doesn't do that with Zerbu's Traits and Buffs?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Nov 2015 at 12:55 AM
And finally...

...SUCCESS!!! :lovestruc :lovestruc :lovestruc

I've figured out what I was getting wrong. You were right, it wasn't a problem of instances: those were correct. The only problem was the lack of .pyo files for both the injector and SuccubusInteractions.py files, so they weren't actually added to the game. I solved the problem by just compiling the two .py files...et voilà! :lovestruc

Time to work on the other interactions, now