Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jan 2017 at 5:57 PM
Default Messin' with fertility...How do you play?
I just had a couple in my legacy give birth to triplets. There's no fertility mod, no fertility rewards or lot traits...zip, zilch, none of that. I've had twins a good amount of the time without special traits, either. I try not to play with any fertility stuff because, well, that's just my personal play style. To say the least, I was in shock! Even after they aged up, I was still in denial that they had triplets. That wasn't the plan, but hey. Life happens.

Does anyone know the odds of having triplets without special add-ons or mods? I'm assuming it's pretty uncommon...it's definitely not common. Otherwise, we'd all have overloaded 'hoods.

And how does everyone else play/manipulate with fertility and pregnancy in their games? Do you plan for the gender of the baby or leave it a mystery? Do you have set expectations for how many children a couple will have? How often do you use cheats/mods? I'm curious!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 6th Jan 2017 at 8:58 PM
I play 'vanilla' without any gameplay mods or cheats. When it comes to births what happens is what happens (LOL). There is an exception; a lot attribute that ups the chance of twins in included in City Living. I consider the lot attributes to be a part of gameplay options.
Scholar
#3 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 8:21 PM
The Ley Lines lot trait doesn't seem to be working as promised in City Living for me, at least. I've had a half-dozen or so pregnancies on Ley Line lots, and only one resulted in multiples.

I don't normally mess around with the fertility options in the game. I play with the Master Controller mod, so I do confess to peeking at the pregnancy details just to prepare my story-telling brain, and I leave a 10-15% risky chance as well as some autonomous romance, so that even when not actively using "Try for Baby", I do end up with unintended pregnancies. I snicker a lot when my sims end up with more than they were bargaining for. (A whoopsie pregnancy for a young single mother ended up with triplets; a War Challenge family ends up with five children, four of them sons, in a generation where sons have a 50/50-chance to be "killed in action" - as it turned out, three of the four sons died upon reaching young adulthood based on their "killed in action" rolls...)
Forum Resident
#4 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ForeverCamp
The Ley Lines lot trait doesn't seem to be working as promised in City Living for me, at least. I've had a half-dozen or so pregnancies on Ley Line lots, and only one resulted in multiples.

I've not yet had Sims try for a baby on a lot with the Ley Lines trait. And now I am curious. The trait description signifies that the affect is random; yet, more likely than usual.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 10:10 PM
I just played with a couple on a ley line lot, with the mother getting the "twins likely" buff. But that's not a guarantee, I guess.
I'm pretty vanilla, too. I really miss having the pregnancy scan mod; I only got to use it for a short time before it stopped working due to a new patch. I did use a sextuplet mod once, just to see how crazy my household could get! As soon as I aged them all up, I immediately regretted creating all this insanity.
Scholar
#6 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gremily_
I'm pretty vanilla, too. I really miss having the pregnancy scan mod; I only got to use it for a short time before it stopped working due to a new patch. I did use a sextuplet mod once, just to see how crazy my household could get! As soon as I aged them all up, I immediately regretted creating all this insanity.

Sims 4 is the most vanilla game I've ever had, which at least indicates to me that for all of their faults, EA is at least getting closer to optimizing for my style of play. With Master Controller being my only major mod, the others being some annoyance fixes (those stupid monsters under the bed, UGH), this is easy enough to maintain through patches and updates.

I used the Triplets and Quads hack from Pescado for my Sims 2. That in combination with ACR and a hack that let you bypass the 8-sim limit in a household created some VERY interesting perfect storms. Let us just say that Pleasantview soon developed a polygamist religious cult. I think I capped out at 22 sims in a single household at one point.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 12:09 AM
Sims 4 is the most vanilla game I've ever had, which at least indicates to me that for all of their faults, EA is at least getting closer to optimizing for my style of play. With Master Controller being my only major mod, the others being some annoyance fixes (those stupid monsters under the bed, UGH), this is easy enough to maintain through patches and updates.

I used the Triplets and Quads hack from Pescado for my Sims 2. That in combination with ACR and a hack that let you bypass the 8-sim limit in a household created some VERY interesting perfect storms. Let us just say that Pleasantview soon developed a polygamist religious cult. I think I capped out at 22 sims in a single household at one point.

Vanilla is my favorite ice cream and game flavor :-) I avoid mods unless they are really needed (in my opinion and in my game). And I do agree about the monster under the bed as it happens so often that its occurrence seriously interferes with gameplay. With Sims 2 I use several of Boiling Oil's helpful mods. With Sims 3 I have used a story progression mod. Speaking of 3, I really enjoy that game and am so disappointed with how that final unasked for and unwanted via Origin upgrade spoiled the game for many of us :-( Which brings me to Sims4 - which operates (for me at least) so much better than either 2 or 3 without any "fix it" mods (well..other than the horrid bed monster!!)
Scholar
#8 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 4:52 AM
The Ley Lines gave me twins first try! And I have a mod that only gives 40% chance of conception, so they managed to have twins first try! :D
Scholar
#9 Old 13th Jan 2017 at 4:35 AM
Update, still no twins on the Ley Line household after three pregnancies. And this last one was played in a totally vanilla environment as I've disabled my mods for the toddler update.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 4:31 PM
I rarely use mods. I stick to just my custom content - hairs and paintings, mostly, occasionally clothing - and don't venture out into mods. I never really have and I don't really have a reason to. The only one I've ever had was to stop the annoying lag with the clock, but that's unfortunately stopped working recently for me.

I just like playing and seeing what happens, although I have been partial to feeding my pregnant sims strawberries to get them to have a higher chance of having a girl. It worked for me this morning! But I only tend to do this to balance out my genders in game.
Instructor
#11 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 6:33 PM

I don't normally mess around with the fertility options in the game. I play with the Master Controller mod, so I do confess to peeking at the pregnancy details just to prepare my story-telling brain, and I leave a 10-15% risky chance as well as some autonomous romance, so that even when not actively using "Try for Baby", I do end up with unintended pregnancies. I snicker a lot when my sims end up with more than they were bargaining for. (A whoopsie pregnancy for a young single mother ended up with triplets; a War Challenge family ends up with five children, four of them sons, in a generation where sons have a 50/50-chance to be "killed in action" - as it turned out, three of the four sons died upon reaching young adulthood based on their "killed in action" rolls...)

i used the lot trait and got twins when i had my sims try for baby cause they got the whim to do so. i also play with mc command and risky woohoo, the lot trait has no effect on woohoo based pregnancies

as for how i play i use wickedwhims (though i recently uninstalled it) and mc command to effect pregnancy rates, and adjust them as needed, i am a fan of happy accidents. i only try for baby when my sims wish to do so. I make action choices purely based on granting wishes for my sims, otherwise i don't interfere unless it is to save someone's life