Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 4:00 PM
Default Is Origin client syncs The Sims 4 saves to the cloud or no?
Hello.
Is Origin client syncs The Sims 4 saves to the cloud or no?
If yes, and Origin client syncs save games to the cloud, does he sync Mods too?

What will be, if I will start Origin client with my account on another PC? Will my Mods and SaveGames be synced from the cloud to new PC?

Thank you!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 4:09 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by this, I'm assuming you mean does Origin save your games and mods online?

Because no, the games are all in the cloud but the individual save files and mods are on your computer. If you want them on another PC you'll have to copy the files over.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 4:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Natashenka
I'm not sure what you mean by this, I'm assuming you mean does Origin save your games and mods online?

Because no, the games are all in the cloud but the individual save files and mods are on your computer. If you want them on another PC you'll have to copy the files over.

I am thinking about to write some single-file tool, that will sync SaveGames to the cloud and it will allow to migrate SaveGames easily from one PC to another. Automatically, without file-copying by player. Something like Steam service - it syncs SaveGames from same games to Steam Cloud.
I can write it, I am programmer, but I need to know, are The Sims 4 players interested in such tool, or not?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ArtUrlWWW
I am thinking about to write some single-file tool, that will sync SaveGames to the cloud and it will allow to migrate SaveGames easily from one PC to another. Automatically, without file-copying by player. Something like Steam service - it syncs SaveGames from same games to Steam Cloud.
I can write it, I am programmer, but I need to know, are The Sims 4 players interested in such tool, or not?

Personally, I wouldn't use anything that wasn't made by Origin/EA themselves to sync games, because I don't want to be risking losing anything should EA/Origin decide to update their software (which they do regularly) or pull the plug on yours.

And honestly, unless you're getting a new PC, which most people don't do regularly, you're probably not really likely to be playing on more than one machine. I also share my Origin with my sister, and wouldn't appreciate having her games in my cloud and vice versa.

There's also plenty of cloud options you can already use - Google Drive is something I use to move my mods from my mac to the PC that runs my sims. You get tons of space and it's free already, you just have to save them onto your computer. Simple.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 4:30 PM
Personally, I wouldn't use anything that wasn't made by Origin/EA themselves to sync games, because I don't want to be risking losing anything should EA/Origin decide to update their software (which they do regularly) or pull the plug on yours.

And honestly, unless you're getting a new PC, which most people don't do regularly, you're probably not really likely to be playing on more than one machine. I also share my Origin with my sister, and wouldn't appreciate having her games in my cloud and vice versa.

Nothing will be loosed with my tool - it will just copy files.
What about risk-protection? I regularly copy everything to the cloud. All files, that I have - source codes of the programs, my docs, savegames - everything!
If you not copy files, your savegames are under risk!

I plan, that program will be authorized by two factors:
1) Login and password
2) Windows account - if you and your sister use two Windows accounts, you can save program's login and password under your Windows account. And, of course, your sister will be able to save her login and password too, but in her Windows account!

Each user could be able to have his/her own account and you will not have your sister's SaveGames in your cloud acc!

Something like DropBox, for Windows accs.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 4:35 PM
I just don't think it's necessary and it would make things complicated. It's a simple enough system right now, why complicate it?

What's even the point of having my files saved on both my computer and the cloud if I only play on one computer?

And you can't say for certain that nothing would be lost - look at how many mods have stopped working with the simple toddler update. There are no guarantees with Origin and EAs updates, especially when it comes to unauthorised third-party software. For those who do play on multiple PCs and use your software, you'd be liable for whatever they use should EA/Origin come along and shut you down because for all we know, it's something they're working on behind the scenes.

Edit: I backup all my games to an external hard drive, no cloud required. And another thought - if your games/mods are in the cloud, surely you'd have to be online to play. I never go online to play, my connection isn't good enough and I had enough issues running SimCity so it's put me off ever doing it with the Sims.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 4:43 PM
OK, I agree with you about mods, that stopped by some update. OK, it's correct.
But you will delete from your PC mods, that are stopped to work, right?
If you will delete mods from your PC, it will be synced with cloud and that mods will be deleted from cloud too!

But why you think, that EA/Origin will want to shut down such service? It will be just like an another mod, that distributed by MTS, like http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=587777 .

People, who wants to sync their files, will install savegame sync mod.
Who doesn't want it - will not download sync mod !
Field Researcher
#8 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 4:44 PM
If you will delete mods from your PC, it will be synced with cloud and that mods will be deleted from cloud too!

I would never delete my saves or mods from my PC because I don't play online, which you would have to do in order to get your files from the cloud. And the way you made that point - if you delete your mods from your PC which would delete from the cloud, you'd have nothing in the cloud?

Quote:
But why you think, that EA/Origin will want to shut down such service? It will be just like an another mod, that distributed by MTS, like http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=587777 .

Because you wouldn't be editing the Sims, you'd be editing Origin and that's a completely different thing entirely.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 4:51 PM
I would never delete my saves or mods from my PC because I don't play online, which you would have to do in order to get your files from the cloud. And the way you made that point - if you delete your mods from your PC which would delete from the cloud, you'd have nothing in the cloud?

Because you wouldn't be editing the Sims, you'd be editing Origin and that's a completely different thing entirely.

I will never be edit Origin ...
As I said, it will be standalone tool/mod, that will not affect nor Origin, nor game process.
It will be just a backup-tool.

But how you keep outdated mods after game updates?
Some of mods, that I use completely broke game UI after latest update and I had to delete that mod. Have you some situation in past?
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 4:54 PM
I will never be edit Origin ...
As I said, it will be standalone tool/mod, that will not affect nor Origin, nor game process.
It will be just a backup-tool.

Origin is what saves the games for you, it runs the games, it does everything. In order to backup the saves to the cloud you would have to write something to change that part of Origin. That's why all game updates and installs are done through Origin. You can't play TS4 without Origin full stop.

Quote:
But how you keep outdated mods after game updates?
Some of mods, that I use completely broke game UI after latest update and I had to delete that mod. Have you some situation in past?

I only ever use custom content. I never use game mods so no, I've never had that issue. And if I did, I'd simply just delete the mod. Why keep the outdated mod if it doesn't work?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 5:00 PM
Origin is what saves the games for you, it runs the games, it does everything. In order to backup the saves to the cloud you would have to write something to change that part of Origin. That's why all game updates and installs are done through Origin. You can't play TS4 without Origin full stop.

I only ever use custom content. I never use game mods so no, I've never had that issue. And if I did, I'd simply just delete the mod. Why keep the outdated mod if it doesn't work?

I agree with you. You will delete outdated mods and it will be synced with cloud - will be deleted from cloud too .
Quote:
to write something to change that part of Origin

I completely disagree with you . It will not affect Origin, as I said . May be my English is not so good and I can't to convincingly say it...

I think, I need to make such plugin and show to people.

Only words are nothing... They do not sound convincing.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 5:04 PM
I agree with you. You will delete outdated mods and it will be synced with cloud - will be deleted from cloud too .

I completely disagree with you . It will not affect Origin, as I said . May be my English is not so good and I can't to convincingly say it...

I think, I need to make such plugin and show to people.

Only words are nothing... They do not sound convincing.

I don't understand what you mean. If you want to backup a saved game, that game is saved to your computer through Origin because you installed the game in Origin. Without Origin you can't play the game at all, therefore the games are saved through Origin. How can you edit the save process without editing the way Origin is hardwired to save your games to your drive?

If you're convinced you can do it, do it. I won't be touching it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 5:08 PM
OK .
I just need beta-testers for it.
People, who wants to participate in beta-testing, please, send me personal message or just write post here.
Instructor
#14 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 5:40 PM Last edited by Manderz0630 : 15th Jan 2017 at 6:19 PM. Reason: 32 KB not 17 MB

There's also plenty of cloud options you can already use - Google Drive is something I use to move my mods from my mac to the PC that runs my sims. You get tons of space and it's free already, you just have to save them onto your computer. Simple.

I didn't know you can use Cloud or Microsoft Onedrive to transfer mods from one computer to another. I could do that when I get a new laptop instead of using a USB port that only hold 32 MB.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Manderz0630
I didn't know you can use Cloud to transfer mods from one computer to another. I could do that when I get a new laptop instead of using a USB port that only hold 17 MB.

You can upload anything to the cloud. I save my .package files in there on my Mac and then open the cloud on my PC, download them and then put them into the game. I use Google Drive to do it.
Instructor
#16 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 5:52 PM
You can upload anything to the cloud. I save my .package files in there on my Mac and then open the cloud on my PC, download them and then put them into the game. I use Google Drive to do it.

Thank you. I saved them to my Onedrive I'm sure it's like a Cloud but for Microsoft.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Manderz0630
Thank you. I saved them to my Onedrive I'm sure it's like a Cloud but for Microsoft.

Yeah it is, they're basically the same thing