Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 11:12 PM
Default Cannot put multiple folders in my mods folder for organizing cc!
So I've never downloaded any cc yet for the sims 4 until recently and at first nothing was showing up. I had read how to do it by putting it in my mods folder in the sims 4. I knew i was doing it right. I was playing sims 4 through origin without actually having the disc in my laptop so I thought maybe that was maybe why it wasn't showing up. I like to organize my cc very specifically and I had everything nested in folders like this: CAS-Clothing-Female-everyday-tops. I was about to give up when I just took a file and put it directly in my mods folder without using any sub folders and then it showed up. So I tested it to see just how many sub folders it would let me have before it wouldn't show up and the answer is one stupid folder in my mods folder before it won't show up! I thought ok maybe that's just the way it is but then I watched a tutorial on something and I saw that this person had many sub folders in their mods folder so now I know that something isn't right! Can someone please help me because it's gonna be severely annoying only being able to organize tons of cc with only the ability of one sub folder!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 11:54 PM
You probably need to edit your Resource.cfg file, to allow subfolders.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 3:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
You probably need to edit your Resource.cfg file, to allow subfolders.

Thank you but can you please tell me how to do that or at least send me a link of something that can? I'd really appreciate it!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 7:15 AM Last edited by vampiresam9097 : 27th Jan 2017 at 7:19 AM. Reason: had folder instead of file oops
In your mods folder, there should be (if not, make one) a file called Resource.cfg. To make it so the game reads your subfolders, open Resource.cfg and paste the following text:

Priority 500
PackedFile *.package
PackedFile */*.package
PackedFile */*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*.package
PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package

And then save it. Make sure you save it as .cfg and not .cfg.txt because the game won't read that.
Test Subject
#5 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 7:28 PM
Gameplay finding mods
Hi do you know how I can use the mods within the gameplay? they aren't showing up- any help would be appreciated
dodgy builder
#6 Old 26th Feb 2017 at 1:14 AM
Please don't wake up a thread if it's very old or not really describe your problem.

Have you gone through this basic tutorial: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...p:TS4_CC_Basics

You should really go to the help forum in the top meny and make your own thread.
Scholar
#7 Old 26th Feb 2017 at 3:58 PM
I had this exact problem the OP mentioned. Editing the resource.cfg fixed it.

I just wanted to add one more piece of advice. When you unzip a file, most of the unzipping tools will put the unzipped file into a folder. If the folder has only one .package file, there's no need to keep it in that folder. Pull it out of the folder and then delete the folder.

Sometimes the package file comes with a ReadMe. I almost always delete them, unless it contains important stuff -- for instance, the readme of a mod will tell you what was edited and what mods it will conflict with. Or the mod might need you to type in something in the command line to work. Those I keep. I toss out the directions about how to install the mods or credits that tell you what tools the creator used to make the mod.

I do that because they will add an unneeded extra path in your mod folder. I guess you could keep adding ***** to your directory, but why do it when there's no real need?

It also gets annoying when you're trying to check mods for incompatibility. I don't want to open up all of those single file folders to make sure they only have one file inside. I once incorrectly assumed that a mod was broken because I accidentally tossed a second mod into that folder when I was unzipping it. I didn't realize that. The hidden file was the culprit.

Anyway, you can fix the problem you describe by editing the resource.cfg, but you can also fix it by getting rid of unneeded folders, which will cause you to need a "longer" path within the resource.cfg.
Instructor
#8 Old 26th Feb 2017 at 4:09 PM
i've never edited the resource.cfg but i can use multiple folders. i have all my stuff in folders objects in one skins in another etc.

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Scholar
#9 Old 26th Feb 2017 at 4:18 PM Last edited by kewpie : 26th Feb 2017 at 4:47 PM.
Maybe for whatever reason, you've never gone deeper than four folder levels (or whatever you call it) If you go deeper than for folders, the files will get lost. I didn't notice until I was using Master Command. I moved it into a folder to keep things tidy. When I opened the game, Master Command wasn't working. I didn't get errors. It was if MC wasn't installed at all. I pulled it out of the folder and put it back where it was. It was back in the game.

I checked to see what the difference was. The path to the MC mods were five folders deep inside the mods file. When I pulled the folder out, it was four files deep. I looked at the resource.cfg. It didn't "tell the game" to look any deeper than four files.

(forgive me, because I am assuming I'm getting every term wrong and making people cringe. I know how these files work, but I don't know what terms to use when describing them. Please correct me so I know what to call them in the future!)

Now, I have edited my resource.cfg since then. I do this only because I want to keep my CC folders organized and separated. I still keep the mod organization four levels deep because I don't need to go deeper. I just always remember to pull ALL of the .package files out of the folders when they don't need to be in a folder.

If you're not like me and want to nest everything and make long paths to do it, you shouldn't need to edit your resource.cfg. If you have problems with the mods, you should be able to fix them simply by removing the unneeded folders. If a folder has only one file inside, there's no reason to have the folder at all.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 9:21 AM
If I recall, script mods can work in folders, if they are one folder deep. I think MCCC is an exception.

Keeping your mods organized is both good and important, in case something stops working or is causing problems.

I personally like to organize based on where I got the mods and under that what type of mod it is.
dodgy builder
#11 Old 27th Feb 2017 at 2:08 PM

Source

lol, this would have been much better if that face didn't show in the upload below as well. Now thinking about it, perhaps she's a bit ugly. Confused was what I was looking for.
Screenshots