Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
From what I have heard TS3 is harder to make things for, hence less people willing to create. I think it's as simple as that. As a game its actually more popular than Ts2.

Also, and from a creator's standing point, I'd say..TS2 has been there longer huh, i got quite good at creating for it. Then comes up a totally new game, must learn new ways..and TBH, I never really felt like learning all the basics, once again.

Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I THOUGHT I read .... and I might have misread this ... that meshing is more difficult in Sims 3; at least with clothing. I notice that most clothes I see in Sims 3 are variations of Maxis clothing. One thing that Sims 3 does have. however, is the ability to incorporate patterns, so you will not usually have twenty separate, distinct colors of the same outfit. Because meshes are easier in Sims 2, they provide all sorts of possibilities when it comes to clothes.

Again, from my own creator's standing point..no.
Meshing is meshing, to me anyways. It is all the rest that becomes complicated. Then again..is it because I do not feel like learning a new way?..Is this because we are more comfortable with what we already know?...
To me, TS2 is easier to create for, but I might be biased, because this is the one game I am used to create for.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 10:32 PM
I think it comes down to play style. It seems like people who play TS2 focus more on world building. I think that's why the game has more custom content. When you're building an environment you want more varied content. However, in TS3 the game seems more centered on you just playing one family per town. Meaning that you're probably only going to need enough CC for just the families that you play rather than the entire town. The fact that TS3 has so many moving parts and the fact that the game controls so much on its own doesn't lend itself well to meticulously creating something just the way you want it.

On a sort of related note, I think where TS4 fails is that it tried to cater to everyone and ended up being aimed at no one. It removes all the autonomy that made TS3 feel fresh and it took agency away from the player by not allowing us to create or even edit the world like you could in TS2. You can't customize it just the way you want it because so much of the game is window dressing and lots of cc looks goofy next to the overly stylized sims. It's not like they made those changes to shift focus over to the gameplay either. TS4 has that problem that TS1 had where you're stuck pretty much to one unchangeable location and you run out of things to to really quickly. I mean, it's like they took the worst parts from either game and somehow made them so bad as to cripple the game. There are so many things wrong with that game.

That being said though, I have a 6GB downloads folder for TS3 and it still runs smoothly (on a computer from 2008 no less).
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 6:56 AM
One thing to keep in mind vis-a-vis modding/creating is what kinds of content you need for each game. The Sims 3 makes a whole category, recolors, totally unnecessary. And I personally find, even seven years in, that with all of the options available from the EPs and the Store that I don't need any extra CC when I play TS3. Compare that to TS2 where the base clothing is so dated and ugly playing with CC feels pretty much obligatory. You see less for TS3 because there's ultimately just less demand; it's easier to make do with what you have.
Theorist
Original Poster
#29 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 7:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sasunaru123
not allowing us to create or even edit the world like you could in TS2.

What?! I'm shocked. It almost sounds like a bad joke, but it has to be true.

Are these guys doing it on purpose? I think they do not understand their audience at all. TS3 made it difficult to create or edit worlds, but not allowing it at all... It almost sounds like some rival company is paying someone to ruin the franchise, so it could take it over

Such changes mean only casual players would care for TS4 or those who play in modern worlds only. Everyone who wants to customize and play for a long time has to stick with at least TS3 or better TS2.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 10:43 AM
Quote:
Are these guys doing it on purpose? I think they do not understand their audience at all. TS3 made it difficult to create or edit worlds, but not allowing it at all... It almost sounds like some rival company is paying someone to ruin the franchise, so it could take it over

I think what EA is trying to do (because they failed the first time) is make the game into a FB game, where you have absolutely no control over any of it. Monetize it to death and make it an app..because they're lazy and greedy at the same time.

So Sims 5 will be the ultimate 'non-game'.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Field Researcher
#31 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 7:14 PM
The Sims 2 is the best because it has more cheats, best mods, easier to mod, makin' clothing, skins, eyes and hair is easier, there's all kind of cheats and mod in the sims 2 that's why it's my favorite
Mad Poster
#32 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I THOUGHT I read .... and I might have misread this ... that meshing is more difficult in Sims 3; at least with clothing. I notice that most clothes I see in Sims 3 are variations of Maxis clothing. One thing that Sims 3 does have. however, is the ability to incorporate patterns, so you will not usually have twenty separate, distinct colors of the same outfit. Because meshes are easier in Sims 2, they provide all sorts of possibilities when it comes to clothes.

Unless you're talking clothing meshes, a mesh is a mesh. Doesn't matter which program you make it in or how you mesh it (unless it's meant to have complex bone assignments - in which case it matters a lot where the geometry is placed). In theory, you can take a mesh from any source - as long as it's a proper 3D mesh that can be converted into an OBJ mesh or any of the other formats supported by TS2/3/4 tools - and put it into any of the 3 games. Of course, you have to take into account polycount and such, and you are limited to a certain number of mesh parts and textures and similar.

I find it easier to put a mesh in the game with the TS2 tools - but that's solely because I've been using SimPE for 10 years. It's also somewhat easy in TS4 with Sims4studio, but I'm still not used to modifying objects there, so it's a bit of hit and miss so far (a bed I made suddenly needed 6 instead of 3 tiles, and couldn't be placed without the moveobjects cheat, probably because I ticked the wrong button - but at least it showed up). So far I've not figured out how to put anything in to TS3...
Scholar
#33 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 9:20 PM
I simply couldn't play TS3 no matter how much i love CAST. Sorry guys I know pudding face is forgiveable to some but my sims' appearance is critical to my enjoyment of the game...no matter how many CC i install...the face still looks like a mango that's been "smart blur"-ed over 50 times in photoshop. Also their interactions are so robotlike and everyone looked "soulless" when interacting with each other.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 9:32 PM
The robot thing with TS3 is one of the things I can't get over, either. And there's something arteficial and overdone in most TS4 animations that annoys me almost as much, and everything they do look a little too cartoony.
Scholar
#35 Old 23rd Feb 2017 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
I simply couldn't play TS3 no matter how much i love CAST. Sorry guys I know pudding face is forgiveable to some but my sims' appearance is critical to my enjoyment of the game...no matter how many CC i install...the face still looks like a mango that's been "smart blur"-ed over 50 times in photoshop. Also their interactions are so robotlike and everyone looked "soulless" when interacting with each other.

TS3 sims aren’t that bad with CC and a HQ mod:

But some animations are indeed a bit robotic, I think walking is the worst. And because of the way the game lags, lagged animations definitely do look very robotic. I can play despite those things though, I haven’t for a long time but at some point in the future I will want to play TS3 again. However, with respect to human-like animations TS2 wins, it’s the best from all sims games. In TS4 everything is exaggerated and I don’t like it. In general TS4 seems very plastic and artificial.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#36 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 1:56 AM
Well until you untick pause and they move and talk, yes.

No need to apologize to us labellavienna, we are sims 2 players lol.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#37 Old 24th Feb 2017 at 2:31 AM
There’s also something weird about the smile and laugh face expressions in TS3, other expressions aren’t so bad but those two look strange for some reason. And children and toddlers, those are creepy and look extremely similar to each other in TS3, I prefer TS2 ones even when they happen to have strange genetics. However general aging in TS3 wins with TS4 and their never-changing faces (1, 2, 3, the last face in all the pictures is an elder sim with additional face details; and those screens were taken in spring 2016 so something could’ve changed in TS4 [I only know about toddlers though]).

Despite liking changes in TS3, I do appreciate that young adults and adults in TS2 are no different with respect to appearance – my sims are immortal adults (I like playing pre-made elders too, and they’re also immortal) and I want them to actually look young.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Test Subject
#38 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 7:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
What?! I'm shocked. It almost sounds like a bad joke, but it has to be true.

Such changes mean only casual players would care for TS4 or those who play in modern worlds only. Everyone who wants to customize and play for a long time has to stick with at least TS3 or better TS2.

TS3 made it difficult, sure. However, the reasoning at least made sense. Open worlds with more detail and actual scenery are going to require different tools to create. I mean, even in the very beginning you could move around the rabbit holes and everything. By the end of TS3's shelf life it had more neighborhood options that TS2. The same is true of TS2, they made everything flat and generic with minimal scenery so you could build it yourself and place lots easier.

However, the way that TS4 is built it will never be able to have any of that. Not only are you locked into a single location like you were with TS1, you can't even see a whole overview of the towns you build. The way the game works, they'll never be able to add that functionality at this point. Have you seen TS4's "Map"? They didn't even bother to draw roads! It's just lines! The map wasn't even in color at first, they had to update the game for that!
Mad Poster
#39 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 7:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I think what EA is trying to do (because they failed the first time) is make the game into a FB game, where you have absolutely no control over any of it. Monetize it to death and make it an app..because they're lazy and greedy at the same time.

So Sims 5 will be the ultimate 'non-game'.

I believe they made that: it's called The Sims Freeplay. Which I do play, but it's not a life simulation game at all. It's a collect the stuffs game, and they try really hard to get you to pay for the stuffs because the only way you can get all the stuffs otherwise is if you play 24/7. It's okay, as a free game, but it's not Sims. (I don't have much attachment to the stuffs: it is, after all, EA stuffs!)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Page 2 of 2