Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2007 at 9:09 PM Last edited by poplers : 2nd Sep 2007 at 4:31 PM.
Default Tutorial-Non Scriptorium Users Lookie here!
Okay, I bet some of you have had trouble installing those darned stairs without the useful Scriptorium. I know I have. So I searched around and nothing came up as to helping non-scriptorium users. So I decided to help.
This tutorial is fairly simple, all you have to know is how to (omg) move files and alter .txt files. :O

Terms and Conditions of Use:
I compiled this myself, so please don't edit and re-upload, don't claim it as your own etc. No uploading this for commercial means at all whatsoever, this is my hard work, and I would not like it to be uploaded to a paysite, not even a free part of a paysite, so no paysite whatsoever. If I find that you are doing that, I have the right to take it away, and by reading this tutorial you are agreeing to the above. So enjoy.

Enough of the EULA, let's get to the Tutorial, shall we?

Let's look at Numenor's beautiful stairs, but oh noes! They require the Scriptorium!

D: What will we do?!
1.Download the files
2.Extract to Desktop

Good, your files should be on the desktop now.

Now, here's the 'tough' part.
4.Open up your .txt file, and copy the text inside.
5.Go to 'C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Catalog\Scripts' and double click on modularstairs.txt
6.Scroll down to the bottom of the .txt file and right click, then click paste.
7.Your copied text should be there, if not, go back and repeat Step 4-Step 7.
Now 'X' that out and go back to the desktop.
8. Go to My Documents and click the nice little arrow thing at the top, it should take you to the Desktop's files.

9.So now that you're on the desktop, you can click on the .package file. So click once on it.
10.You'll now see some options to your left, Move Selected items is the one we want, so we'll be clicking that one.
11.Once clicked, a smaller window will pop up, asking you where to move the .package file, move it to your downloads folder and any other subfolders that you wish.
12.Run the game, your stairs should be there!

Thanks very much. ;O

EDIT: The lovely Patul has helped us out it seems. ;P

Quote:
When you paste the text in the modularstairs.txt, verify that the number (724 in your example is not yet used by an other cusrom stair. In this case change the number in the line "modularStairs 724" by an unused one.
What you can do :
add a '#' then copy and paste each modularstairs line you add at the top of the file as a remark easy to find.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 9:44 AM
Useful detailed tut poplers

Just one thing :
When you paste the text in the modularstairs.txt, verify that the number (724 in your example is not yet used by an other cusrom stair. In this case change the number in the line "modularStairs 724" by an unused one.
What you can do :
add a '#' then copy and paste each modularstairs line you add at the top of the file as a remark easy to find.

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 10:18 AM
thanks for useful tutorial...

somehow, I think this can be useful for download and installation helps to users. so, I kinda think the help section should have link(s) to this tutorial.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 3:21 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, poplers! I always meant to look into this but never got around to -- I agree with you, it's annoying when people just "require" that you have the scriptorium without providing the info for manual install.

I think this is very useful information for mac users -- maybe it could be linked/copied/stickied in the mac help forum?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2007 at 4:29 PM
I'm happy I helped you.
I had no clue where to put it, and modular stairs are in Build Mode, so I thought this was the right place
But I also believe that this tutorial can go for other things like fireplaces, it's good to know that I helped you.