Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#176 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 4:03 AM
What does the overlay do? It looks like it just comes with hands, but you can faintly see the rest if you look closely.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#177 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 8:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cwurts00
What does the overlay do? It looks like it just comes with hands, but you can faintly see the rest if you look closely.

The overlay sits on top of everything else. You can use it to create details that you don't want to change colour with the slider.

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Field Researcher
#178 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 5:26 PM
I think that there should be ONE tutorial with everything explained, from how to export DDS files to ramps and everything. I am literally sweating because there are few tutorials, I don't know which one to follow, I have never tried something like this, and it's not easy and it's totally confusing...I am following Revisted Draft tutorial, and I have done nothing, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong...also I am confused with hexes and everything...lol heeelp haha

Can someone just tell me, if there is ONE tutorial where I can find the programs needed listed, and step by step for making a complete not-default skintone?

Thank you guys so much!
Forum Resident
#179 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 5:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by @Stefan
I think that there should be ONE tutorial with everything explained, from how to export DDS files to ramps and everything. I am literally sweating because there are few tutorials, I don't know which one to follow, I have never tried something like this, and it's not easy and it's totally confusing...I am following Revisted Draft tutorial, and I have done nothing, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong...also I am confused with hexes and everything...lol heeelp haha

Can someone just tell me, if there is ONE tutorial where I can find the programs needed listed, and step by step for making a complete not-default skintone?

Thank you guys so much!

You don't need anything other than skininator. The files you need to edit are floating about somewhere in this thread and you don't need to edit hex at all.
Once you have the skintones and skininator edit the textures, load them in, name your skin and click Make Package. Don't worry bout loading in for the files you don't wan't changed since the defaults are used if nothing else is selected.

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Field Researcher
#180 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 5:41 PM Last edited by @Stefan : 5th Feb 2010 at 6:25 PM.
Well I have edited the files I wanted to change (male faces and bodies) and I have loaded those with the skininator and created a package file. Also I have loaded the tone ramps, but the skintone doesn't show up anyways

What am I doing wrong?

*EDIT*

The skintone works, but oh my God, what's wrong with this, why is it all metallic? XD

*EDIT 2*

No matter how many new skintones I add to the package. folder it only shows the 6 skins to pick
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#181 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 6:56 PM
It looks like you've changed the normals to me. Have you got the UI mod in your mods folder cause you will need it to use new skins, if you have then its probaly conflicting with aanother mod (it took me ages to realise that it was conflicting with a slider hack when I first used it......).

Field Researcher
#182 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 8:06 PM Last edited by @Stefan : 5th Feb 2010 at 8:28 PM.
Hm, I do have slider hacks...I am going to remove them and see if it works then...

*EDIT*

I have just checked, removed the sliders at first, and it was still the same, and after that I have removed all of the downloads, and it was still the same...I will download the program from the original download thread now, and make skintone again...I will keep you informed
Lab Assistant
#183 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 8:29 PM
Question : Could you walk me through in simple english how to make the peggy skin non-default so i can keep an Aikea_Guinea skin, please? Thanks. :]
Forum Resident
#184 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 8:40 PM
OK, so I can see I'll need to add to the tut....... It's not gonna happen till mid week at least now coz missy's machine will be offline!

Quote: Originally posted by chelle523
Question : Could you walk me through in simple english how to make the peggy skin non-default so i can keep an Aikea_Guinea skin, please? Thanks. :]

chelle - Do you know how to use S3PE? You'll need to open peggy's skin in S3PE, right click on ALL of the files and extract to file. This will give you all of the base textures you need. Open Skininator and load peggys into that. If your a bit unsure about file types and ramps then download my tut on post #159

Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#185 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 9:24 PM
I have just checked, removed the sliders at first, and it was still the same, and after that I have removed all of the downloads, and it was still the same...I will download the program from the original download thread now, and make skintone again...I will keep you informed

Do you have Rez Delnava's CAS UI mod installed? If not, you're not going to see more than six skin tones.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#186 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 9:33 PM
Finally it's up!

Anyhoo. I need moral advice. Several people have asked how to convert default replacements to non-replacement skins. This would be a majorly easy thing for a tool, maybe an extension to Skininator, to do. However, I don't want to step on the toes of skin creators - it really should be their choice to modify their own work. On the other hand, it's not really changing anything except to make their stuff more usable. On the third hand, I'm afraid of people converting skins and then uploading them without the creator's permission.

What do you all think?
Forum Resident
#187 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Finally it's up!

Anyhoo. I need moral advice. Several people have asked how to convert default replacements to non-replacement skins. This would be a majorly easy thing for a tool, maybe an extension to Skininator, to do. However, I don't want to step on the toes of skin creators - it really should be their choice to modify their own work. On the other hand, it's not really changing anything except to make their stuff more usable. On the third hand, I'm afraid of people converting skins and then uploading them without the creator's permission.

What do you all think?

I'm too nice for my own good that I do tell but I think we should stress PERMISSION.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#188 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 9:53 PM
It would be really convenient if we could just do a PSA to everyone that has ever made a skin and tell them to convert their stuff ASAP...

The conversion tool would make it easy for any skin creator to make new skins. When I made my demo skin, I kept all the files the same name, I just did a 'save as' to a new directory; so, in essence I made a default replacement first. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have done it that way. So an add-on that automagically grabs and sorts default replacements and packs them as a new tone could be helpful.

As for people uploading other people's skins w/o permission... I would think that would be up to the moderators to police. But then again, people don't exclusively upload here. But even without the new add-on, if people want to misuse our efforts by violating another creator's policies, they are going to do so anyway
Lab Assistant
#189 Old 5th Feb 2010 at 11:59 PM
Hm, I do have slider hacks...I am going to remove them and see if it works then...

*EDIT*

Open the skin-selecting place, mose over one of the skintones (any one of them) and scroll down with the scroller on your computer mouse.
It should work, It did for me :D

Cheers! =D

lkandak
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#190 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 1:02 AM
To illustrate the point I made in my last post: http://www.digitalperversion.net/ga...p?topic=16959.0
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#191 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rez Delnava
To illustrate the point I made in my last post: http://www.digitalperversion.net/ga...p?topic=16959.0

LOL, fast work! You're right, anyone who wants a non-replacement version will either figure out how to do it or find it easily enough. I'm also pretty much convinced that a tool would be nice for people who don't want to search, or want to mix and match for their own use, and isn't going to put modified stuff out there that wouldn't be there anyway. Plus the general philosophy here is both sharing and 'no diva'.

So, expect a 'Convertinator' addon to Skininator, and I'll emphasize that permission should be gotten before uploading converted skins.
Test Subject
#192 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 3:14 AM
Hi guys and thanks for making non-default skins real also in TS3! You rock! I have a question. I was converting 234jiao skin. No problem with the body using the skininator. But when I was in S3PE for exporting the faces files, I noticed some files among the other that I don't know where to put in the skininator. Can someone help me?
(sorry for my English)
Attached files:
File Type: zip  files.zip (395.4 KB, 20 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#193 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 3:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missy harries
OK, so I can see I'll need to add to the tut....... It's not gonna happen till mid week at least now coz missy's machine will be offline!

chelle - Do you know how to use S3PE? You'll need to open peggy's skin in S3PE, right click on ALL of the files and extract to file. This will give you all of the base textures you need. Open Skininator and load peggys into that. If your a bit unsure about file types and ramps then download my tut on post #159
whats S3PE?
Test Subject
#194 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 5:04 AM
Anyone have any idea why the face on the model would continue appearing plain white. I am like 100% sure that the face I am adding into skininator with my package is not what I am seeing. Is there another layer that goes over the face - so I am seeing like a default makeup overlay or something?

Ill post SS tomorrow if nobody has any ideas right off the top.

Thanks in advance

If you like modding the Sims, you would love creating other 3D - Daz Studio 3 is excellent FREE 3D software to get started with.
DAZ STUDIO 3
Renderosity Homepage
Velocity3dlittleblog
Forum Resident
#195 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 5:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Finally it's up!

What do you all think?

I've had several requests as well. I may or may not do it if it's something I want. Frankly, I'm more annoyed with people who want to be spoon-fed whatever silly thing they want right now, than I am concerned about someone getting upset over modifying their files.

I think that credit, a link and no paysites is the only reasonable TOU. I didn't fuss over it much making the various skintones I did. I jumped through so many hoops when I created for sims 2, I really don't want to for sims 3. If you really don't want anyone touching your files, don't post what you make on the internet.

I did get a request from someone asking me to make one of my early slider replacements non-default, so I did it. It wouldn't have bothered me a bit though if someone else had done it instead, would have saved me about five minutes work I suppose.
Test Subject
#196 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 4:40 PM
I hope someone makes a video tutorial for this. It's easier for me to learn that way.
Test Subject
#197 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jmtmom
If you really don't want anyone touching your files, don't post what you make on the internet.

Exactly. I mean, it's understandable to get angry if they are claiming it as their own, but if fair credit is given...Get over it
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#198 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 6:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by franziska1985
Hi guys and thanks for making non-default skins real also in TS3! You rock! I have a question. I was converting 234jiao skin. No problem with the body using the skininator. But when I was in S3PE for exporting the faces files, I noticed some files among the other that I don't know where to put in the skininator. Can someone help me?
(sorry for my English)

S3_00B2D882_00000000_40E5744B0DBFC320%%+_IMG.dds is the adult female normal, but it's been edited to remove the adult lines and tiny wrinkles.

S3_00B2D882_00000000_6F853F0E35157E27%%+_IMG.dds is the same thing - normal for adult male but with no lines.

S3_00B2D882_00000000_6F853F0E35157E2D%%+_IMG.dds I can't identify, but it looks weirdly like a Sims 2 skin.

Quote: Originally posted by velocity3d
Anyone have any idea why the face on the model would continue appearing plain white. I am like 100% sure that the face I am adding into skininator with my package is not what I am seeing. Is there another layer that goes over the face - so I am seeing like a default makeup overlay or something?

Ill post SS tomorrow if nobody has any ideas right off the top.

Thanks in advance

What kind of tone are you using? The skin color has two main components - the base image and the tone gradient that overlays it.
Test Subject
#199 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 6:46 PM
Quote:
What kind of tone are you using? The skin color has two main components - the base image and the tone gradient that overlays it.

I know it's not the gradient - the body is showing up fine. I have been having this problem but I was focused mainly on the body so I thought that I just hadn't matched the seams very well.

But the face on the model, is definitely still the default - I even added bright purple polka dots to the texture map for the face to be 100% sure and it is absolutely not showing up. I opened the package up in S3PE just to double check that the face map was getting in there, and it is there -

All I can think of are two solutions - send the package to someone else to see if they get the same result, or check to see if there is an updated version of the skininator and I am just using one of the first drafts or something.

I don't even have a clue what reasons this could happen because of .

If you like modding the Sims, you would love creating other 3D - Daz Studio 3 is excellent FREE 3D software to get started with.
DAZ STUDIO 3
Renderosity Homepage
Velocity3dlittleblog
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#200 Old 6th Feb 2010 at 7:44 PM
The young adult face is different from the adult face - are you looking at the right sim age? (This has caught me a few times!)

You can send me the package if you need to. And the main functions of Skininator haven't been changed since I first posted it, so an update probably won't make a difference.
Page 8 of 10