Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 10:21 PM
Default Geneticized Skintones & Eyes?
This is not a WCIF thread, so don't worry! :-) I already have perfectly good geneticized skins and eyes in my game, I was just interested in a) what skins/eyes other people use (not hugely interesting, but may be relevant to point b!) and b) how they are geneticized.

For example, do you use default replacements or other custom geneticized eyes and skintones at all? If so, where they geneticized by the creators or did you do it yourself? What skintone ranges do you use in game? How does eye colour work in your game? Did you edit the genetic values of the maxis skins and/or eyes? Yes, lots of questions, I'm just nosy really! I am fascinated by RL genetics, and have been playing with genetics in sims as well, especially with eye colour.

Anyway, I'll start.

I use the default Maxis eyes, but then I also use some of Lyran's maxis-match eyes (http://www.lyran.net/ts2/ if anyone's interested) to add more colours. The main extra colour that I wanted in game was hazel, but I also have a couple of extra browns, blues and greens. As Lyran's eyes weren't already geneticized, I did so myself using SimPE. I also edited the Maxis eyes, as I didn't like their choice of dominant/recessive colours.

So now, in my game, I have brown as the most dominant (value 1, as coded in SimPE), hazel and dark blue as the next most dominant (value 2) and light blue, green and grey as least dominant (value 3). I have 3 different browns in game, and two hazels and one dark blue, so hopefully even having changed inheritance I'll still get some variety! I changed it to make it a bit more "realistic" - not 100% sure how eye colour is inherited in real life as genetics is a lot more compliated than the way it's taught in school, but brown always seems pretty dominant to me!

For skin tones I use maxis-match non-barbie default replacements, and then some of Lyran's non-default skins, which are all slightly lighter than the maxis skins that they're based on. I geneticized these myself to slot them into the right places on the spectrum. So if I have an S1 sim and an S4 sim have a baby, the baby could potentially inherit 7 skins rather than 4. I don't use the Lyran "lighter than S1" skin, as I don't want to make sims with such light skin (it really is pretty light, doesn't look natural to me!).

So, yeah, how about you guys? Anyone as obsessed with sim genetics as me? :-D Probably not......but I'm sure some of you have something to add to the topic! :-)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 10:57 PM
Funny I just asked a bunch of questions about this very subject that you helped me out with on the random question thread. Thanks again for that it was a big help.

I've only recently really discovered geneticized eyes and skintones up to know I've used defaults and custom. I love my current hood but I wish I had geneticized eyes instead of custom ones as they just don't get passed around enough. Plus when I made the townies I used the defaults so those are gone once they breed with one of my playables.

In that hood I use default skintones by Pyxis from GOS that are really lovely and custom eyes by Shady, Anva and Pickpocket again lovely just not geneticized.

I have just begun work on a new hood for the specific reason of using genetic skins and eyes. That and the fact I really want to use Phaenoh's "Redneck mansion" and it just wouldn't go in my normal hood.

I've recently discovered this creator's work http://jessi-dot.dreamwidth.org/ her stuff is amazing. I'm in love with her skintone's and eyes all of which are geneticized. Most especially her dark skins which don't come off as being shiny but very smooth looking and not purplish.

Planning on using her "mixed up memory" skins, "from the earth below" and "laughing at tragedies" eye sets. Best part is on the eyes she has it set up where you can create your own defaults with about 6 or 7 choices for each color. There are also some fantasy colors that are set as uber-recessive but it is still possible for them to be passed along.

I really prefer to play with born in game Sims so I'm looking forward to how the genetics get spread around once I get to that stage.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 11:07 PM
thanks clashfan! I'm already busy downloading from her.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
Funny I just asked a bunch of questions about this very subject that you helped me out with on the random question thread. Thanks again for that it was a big help.

Not entirely a coincidence, I must admit :-) Your questions on there made me realise how much I didn't know about sim genetics, which made me look stuff about it up on the internet, which led to me finding a tutorial on how to geneticize custom eyes and skins, which in turn brought me to a tutorial on how to change the inheritance values of maxis eyes. Along the way I also came across Lyran's site. So now I have a whole bunch of geneticized stuff in my game! So thank you for making me interested in all this stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing how the next generations of sims in my BACC turn out! :-D

That creator you linked to has some nice clothes, too. Thanks for the link! *goes off to download stuff*
Field Researcher
#5 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 3:37 AM
Well, I get most of my skins and eyes from full sims, so most of the time they aren't geneticized and I have to do it myself. I don't use any defaults.

My skintones are organized from lightest to darkest, and range from 0.02-0.9. I do have a blue skintone that I placed as a 6. I don't really do much with my eyes. It's either dominant, recessive, or in the middle somewhere.
Instructor
#6 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 3:44 AM
I just learned about geneticized eyes and skintones. I've had one particular skintone that is maxis-match for a long long time. It is darker than the darkest maxis skintone. I started one family with the skintone (as well as a couple of random college sims) when I first got it. And now almost every sim who is a descendant of those sims have that skintone - kinda annoying when they should really be at like 3 when their father is the custom (dark) skintone and the mother is a 1. So I geneticized it a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I'll download more.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 5:00 AM
I use simcribbing self makeup and anva's eyes as default replacements so my townies look nice, but i don't understand the geneticized skins. Does it just generate randomly among the townies along with the default replacements? I didn't know there were geneticized eyes.
Scholar
#8 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 6:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Squirrel
I use simcribbing self makeup and anva's eyes as default replacements so my townies look nice, but i don't understand the geneticized skins. Does it just generate randomly among the townies along with the default replacements? I didn't know there were geneticized eyes.

Mangaroo gives an excellent description in this thread.http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=405925

Works sort of the same way for the eyes.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squirrel

I THINK that, as well as being geneticized, skins/eyes have to be made townie-friendly in order for townies to randomly generate with them.

I made the eyes that I use townie-friendly, so townies sometimes generate with those eyes, and if I click "Randomise" (the one that looks like two dice) in CAS the sims that appear sometimes have the eyes, and kids that I adopt using the Services....Adoption option on the phone can have those eyes.

The skins, on the other hand, refused to become townie-friendly (I tried to do it in SimPE, but then they wouldn't show up in game for some reason), so townies don't spawn with them. But babies born in game can still get them, and sims in CAS can be made with them.

There's a tutorial on geneticizing skins/eyes and making them townie friendly here if anyone's interested. This is the one I used to do the ones in my game.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#10 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 11:05 PM
I played a themed neighborhood with geneticized Enayla fantasy skins. I used Madame Mim's NPC-friendly version as a base, but tweaked the genetic values in SimPE because I wanted a black/red/yellow/green/blue/white spectrum rather than having the palest skins in the middle. (The black/red clan was at war with the blue/white clan, while the greens were neutral. It just didn't make sense that the offspring of red + green might produce a child that was red's mortal enemy.)

In my custom hood, I have an assortment of geneticized, townie-friendly skin sets and eyes in addition to my defaults. Unfortunately, I added some of them without thoroughly testing and I now need to weed out the ones I don't want. The longer I let them propagate, the more bothersome that will be in SimPE, so it's quite likely they will stay in the game 'til the neighborhood implodes.

In my megahood, I chose to use only default replacements so I could switch eyes and skins whenever I want. It's a relief to know I can change the look of my game so easily, but I do miss the variety of eye colors.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 1:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
I played a themed neighborhood with geneticized Enayla fantasy skins. I used Madame Mim's NPC-friendly version as a base, but tweaked the genetic values in SimPE because I wanted a black/red/yellow/green/blue/white spectrum rather than having the palest skins in the middle. (The black/red clan was at war with the blue/white clan, while the greens were neutral. It just didn't make sense that the offspring of red + green might produce a child that was red's mortal enemy.)

That is such a cool idea!! :-)

So far I've been lucky - I've liked all of the geneticized eyes that I've put in my game! :-) I'm not sure how to do all the SimPE stuff to edit eyes if you remove custom ones (though I'm sure I'd manage!), so I'm glad that I've managed to avoid that!
Scholar
#12 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 3:57 AM
The only eyes I haven't quite gotten into are the fantasy colors. They look cool and I think that I want them but then I get in CAS and start making Sims and I find some of them sort of frightening. Totally different if I played a fantasy style hood but I really don't so I always end up deleting those before they get generated into anyone. I'm a Mac user so SimPE is not an option for me so I do have to make sure I like what I'm seeing before I save anything or at least be prepared to live with it long term.
Instructor
#13 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 8:08 AM
I am sooooooo not computer savvy, so the only geneticized things I have are if the creators do it for me. That being said:

http://jessi-dot.dreamwidth.org/ ftw. I use her as default eyes & skintones + geneticized so my townies will run around with freckles also. :}
Eyes: Both my Wings (default + geneticized so I get more diversity)
Skin: A Mixed Up Memory (Default + Gen. but then I also have her Wearing Diamonds Gen. because well... freckles ftw)
Apparently I made someone's day when I posted about her in another thread, whinging about what she's doing to my downloads folder. Which btw, is still quite true.
Instructor
#14 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 6:56 AM
I use Leh's Maxis Match skins and Phobia's recolours of Sarah's eyes, they're called Easy Lucky Free (most people know these eyes). They're both on Garden of Shadows, in case someone doesn't know, but some extra colours of the eyes are on Phobia's livejournal. Aaaaaaanyway...

The skin is used as defaults and have a few tones as genetic and the eyes are defaults but the rest of the colours are used as face masks (in costume makeup section). The reason is that I switch defaults A LOT and I don't want my Sims to spawn with them but I still want colour variety. If you make a Sim with geneticized eyes, then remove them from your downloads, they will be stuck with the default brown maxis eyes, or whatever is on your default skins. They're stuck like that forever (if you don't put back the eye) and even worse, the sim passed it down to his kids. Happened before, and I'm not going to make the same mistake! On the other hand, skins are less troublesome... If you delete a genetic skin, it'll revert to the closest (on a genetic scale) default colour.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 10:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 101ita
On the other hand, skins are less troublesome... If you delete a genetic skin, it'll revert to the closest (on a genetic scale) default colour.

No they won't, they'll revert to having an S2 skin, no matter the value of their original skin.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Field Researcher
#16 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 10:26 PM
Funny that the OP uses Lyran's stuff, because until very recently it was what I used for my sims' eyes, and I'm in the process of creating a new version of the same hood so I can have geneticized everything. (OP: Is there any way I could convince you to upload your geneticized versions of the Lyran eyes?) I used the Lin edits of Louis skins as defaults, so those were geneticized anyway.

My new hood is going to use Pyxis's skins from GoS, which are geneticized according to the Pooklet values. I am also going to use new, geneticized eyes by Pooklet (the Yumedust "Eye Love" with Anva sclera.)

And to the poster who asked about townies generating with things: I know that CC has to be made townie-friendly (town-ified? townie-ified? The term is on the tip of my tongue...) before your townies will spawn with it (although if you use default replacements, the townies will appear with those replacements, and they'll use the Maxis-based eye and skin genetics.)

Also, @ lauratje: There's a tutorial running around somewhere on MTS2 on how to change a sim's eye color in SimPE. (I used to have a link for it, but lost it recently when my laptop died.) I did it once a couple years ago, and remember thinking it was a complete pain in the butt, but then again, I do lack all but the most rudimentary of SimPE skills.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 12:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Julieryc
Funny that the OP uses Lyran's stuff, because until very recently it was what I used for my sims' eyes, and I'm in the process of creating a new version of the same hood so I can have geneticized everything. (OP: Is there any way I could convince you to upload your geneticized versions of the Lyran eyes?) I used the Lin edits of Louis skins as defaults, so those were geneticized anyway.

Also, @ lauratje: There's a tutorial running around somewhere on MTS2 on how to change a sim's eye color in SimPE. (I used to have a link for it, but lost it recently when my laptop died.) I did it once a couple years ago, and remember thinking it was a complete pain in the butt, but then again, I do lack all but the most rudimentary of SimPE skills.

Geneticising eyes and making them townie-friendly is fairly simple - have a look at the tutorial I linked to in post #9 of this thread.

I don't know if I'd be able to get Lyran's permission to upload my geneticised/townie-friendly versions of his eyes, but I'll see if I can contact him and ask. Also not sure if they'd be accepted on here as an upload. If I can get permission from Lyran, I'll give it a go. If not, it's pretty easy to do, and doesn't take a huge amount of time either. And that way you could geneticise them exactly how you want them, rather than relying on what I/someone else wants! As long as you can run SimPE on your computer, then you can probably manage to geneticise eyes (and skins, if you want!).

I think I did see the changing eyes tutorial once, but I can't find it now. Hopefully I'll never need it! :-)
Field Researcher
#18 Old 11th Jul 2010 at 12:50 AM Last edited by scarletwings : 11th Jul 2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Forgot the important stuff, as always!
Quote: Originally posted by Julieryc
I am also going to use new, geneticized eyes by Pooklet (the Yumedust "Eye Love" with Anva sclera.)

Those are my favourite eyes of all time. And Peach T's amazing skin tones, which I raved about on the other skin thread - they're just so beautiful! (http://yreenah.livejournal.com/7080.html)

Forgot to say: There's a pic on Peach T's page that shows you the shades and what genetic numbers each has, if that's the sort of thing you were after.
Scholar
#19 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scarletwings
Those are my favourite eyes of all time. And Peach T's amazing skin tones, which I raved about on the other skin thread - they're just so beautiful! (http://yreenah.livejournal.com/7080.html)

Forgot to say: There's a pic on Peach T's page that shows you the shades and what genetic numbers each has, if that's the sort of thing you were after.

Thanks to Scarletwings I am now using these lovely PeachT candybar skins. I'm also using pooklet's eyes, and a purple skin for aliens.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 1:33 PM
I have a fair amount of geneticized content. My default skins are Rensim's Peau, and I also have a smattering of geneticized and townified skins: there's stuff by Pooklet, Needlecream, Nilou, PeachT, and some others that I'm probably forgetting. I've also got a bunch of colorful alien skintones from everywhere (Anva, Ephemera, Pooklet, Astromeso, etc.) that are townified but not geneticized.

I used to have more, but then I cleaned out my downloads folder a couple of months ago. Skintones take up so much space. I might have to snag Jesstheex/jessi_dot's skintones, though. Those are seriously yummy.

As for eyes, I have approximately sixty squillion (seriously, I have over 1300 eyes, and most of them are townified, and I deleted about 100 recently). My defaults are Pooklet's edits of Yumedust's eyes, and I also have townified eyes by Shady, Pooklet, PeachT, Mouseyblue, Bruno, Barcelonista, schuldig_seiben, Helaene, Anva, Nouk, jesstheex/jessi_dot, crayonsun, Dragonmandy, Nymphy, CuriousB, and probably a bunch of others. There are alien eyes mixed in with normal ones.

I think my favorite sets of normal eyes are PeachT's and Anva's. I like muted, realistic eye sets.

"Demons were like genies or philosophy professors — if you didn't word things exactly right, they delighted in giving you absolutely accurate and completely misleading answers."
--Terry Pratchett
Field Researcher
#21 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 1:51 PM
Reading this thread made me want to change the genetics in my game!! I was very annoyed how if I gave a sim a custom eye color, all of her children, grandchildren, etc would get that color!! I have default replacement eyes downloaded along with a bunch of others. I would like to change the genetics of the custom eyes to go along with the maxis genetics. I downloaded SimPE and am so completely confused that I don't know where to begin. Can anyone point me in the direction of a very basic tutorial? I mean, from the start of how to load a list to my "resource tree" because everything is blank. I've looked at the tutorials linked in this thread and they have the eye files in that resource tree list. Thanks if anyone can help!!
Field Researcher
#22 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 2:31 PM
my4monkeys, you need to open the package file of the custom eyes first. Just do that with file -> open, and find the package you want to modify in your downloads folder.

Once you've done that, I recommend Quinctia's tutorial on geneticizing eyes, and her other one on geneticizing skintones. I wouldn't call them very basic, but they're thorough and clear.

"Demons were like genies or philosophy professors — if you didn't word things exactly right, they delighted in giving you absolutely accurate and completely misleading answers."
--Terry Pratchett
Field Researcher
#23 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 3:21 PM
Thank you for your answer, Metatwaddle! I did that and used this tutorial and it was so easy! I'm so excited to have all these possible eye options, as I fixed them for townies as well! YAY
Field Researcher
#24 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 3:25 PM
No problem! Remember, they'll only work on new townies and NPCs the game generates.

--Terry Pratchett