Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#1551 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 9:05 PM
Well, for the flowers sprouting at her feet and the irony of the hair (I like the dress okay) I will have to name my first female plantsim Afrodite. It'll be glorious.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#1552 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 9:09 PM
Maybe it's just a personal thing here, but worse than the lavender bundles growing on the bushes is the ginseng ROOT growing on bushes. (It looks like buff-colored squid hanging from the shrubs...)

Seriously, EA?

If a lot of the plants are going to be something inappropriate stuck on the same generic bush, then how does this create an interesting looking garden?

I'd prefer to hide all the stupid looking plants inside a greenhouse or something (maybe in an underground garden?) and put decorative plants which look more like the real version in my garden areas.
Inventor
#1553 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 9:10 PM
About the harvestables, I wasn't expecting anything special.

I mean, after all, this is the same company that made potatoes, onions, and carrots into harvestables that grew above the ground.

But I do like that we're getting them.

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Lab Assistant
#1554 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by writerchick
I'd prefer to hide all the stupid looking plants inside a greenhouse or something (maybe in an underground garden?) and put decorative plants which look more like the real version in my garden areas.

Maybe it could be possible to create decorative plants that could be placed everywhere even without the moveobjects-cheat (basically like "plant-shaped"-rugs or something) and then you would just hide those harvestable plants behind/inside them and sims could still tend the garden. There would be some obvious problems like not being able to see different growth stages, but it would be at least slightly better than lavender bundles on a leafy stick.
Scholar
#1555 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MinghamSmith
I'm not sure, I've heard the plant used to create plantsims is supposed to be a fruit rather than a flower. Unless the fruit and the flower are both from the same plant, of course. Perhaps check the new information again.

Not sure if one of the herbs can turn your sim into a plantsim, but you need forbidden fruit to grow a plantsim baby

Didn't realize you could also grow coffee
Mad Poster
#1556 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PunkyBreester
Alright, I was excited about new harvestables. And after several EPs worth, I know not to expect realistic or varied plant meshes. But the lavender growing in pre-packaged bundles...?! That's downright ridiculous, EA.. And not in a cute, "haha the Sims world is so silly" way.
I wonder, is it possible to replace the mesh of a harvestable plant? There are plenty of nice looking lavender CC meshes out there.. (Plus, if it is possible, maybe someone could finally fix the banana tree.)

Sadly, I doubt it. Unless someone creates a new script for it as well, then any replaced meshes will replace ALL harvestables that use the same one. So in the case of the banana tree, all other tree fruit would also grow on banana trees instead.
I honestly don't think there are enough people bugged by it/any script modders bugged by it for anyone to take the time to try and create such a mod. On one hand I wish I wasn't so particular but on the other hand I wish EA put more work into the harvestables since we KNOW they can put in small details when they want to. Sims' breath in cold weather and window condensation anyone?

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Mad Poster
#1557 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 10:31 PM
When I first looked at the new harvestables I must have paid more attention to the ones with flowers and not the lavendar or ginseng root. Those are not so nice, another plant I have to move to the back of the garden because it's just wrong on so many levels.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Forum Resident
#1558 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by caolve
Maybe it could be possible to create decorative plants that could be placed everywhere even without the moveobjects-cheat (basically like "plant-shaped"-rugs or something) and then you would just hide those harvestable plants behind/inside them and sims could still tend the garden. There would be some obvious problems like not being able to see different growth stages, but it would be at least slightly better than lavender bundles on a leafy stick.

Even if you had the EA bushes standing there in the midst of something like that (in other words, still visible but fully surrounded by stuff which looks better), I'd be happy.

*prays to the CC gods that someone makes something like this soon* < not a request, just a fervent wish...
Top Secret Researcher
#1559 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by caolve
Interactive map!
http://simfans.de/specials/entdecke...studentenleben/

Would be nice if it were a normal 'hood rather than a sub-hood. What are the chances that someone will make a mod allowing it to be used as a regular 'hood?

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Top Secret Researcher
#1560 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 11:08 PM
It will probably be handled in the same vein as the [World Adventures] worlds. At which point, you could simply go and live there using [Traveler].

Though I'm sure someone will CAW it, and provide it as a custom homeworld eventually.

NRaas Industries: Sims 3 Mods for the Discerning Player, hosted by The Wikispaces.
Forum Resident
#1561 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 11:48 PM
Home-grown coffee beans.... hmmm... With a coffee shop counter. I need a Girl Genius coffee shop with this, please.
Instructor
#1562 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
Sadly, I doubt it. Unless someone creates a new script for it as well, then any replaced meshes will replace ALL harvestables that use the same one. So in the case of the banana tree, all other tree fruit would also grow on banana trees instead.
I honestly don't think there are enough people bugged by it/any script modders bugged by it for anyone to take the time to try and create such a mod.

I meant more along the lines of slapping the harvestable interactions onto a different mesh. Even if there were no visible growth states, I'd honestly prefer a more realistic mesh than bundles of lavender and pieces of roots growing on a bush

Of course, you could be right and the complications might very well be outside of my scope of understanding; I am not a modder But it seems to me like it should be possible, knowing that we already have new harvestables and modded plants.

waiter, there's a conundrum in my soup
The Adom Legacy
Forum Resident
#1563 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 12:01 AM
Heck, some of the Supernatural plant bases would look more appropriate for these 'herbs'. Although it might get hard to tell the difference between Wolfsbane and Lavender....
Theorist
#1564 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 12:03 AM Last edited by tangie0906 : 16th Feb 2013 at 12:13 AM.
At least we already have a mesh for the lavender, since we already have lavender flowers that are much nicer than these! This is what I don't understand, there is already a banana tree and already a lavender bush. Couldn't they just have used those meshes??

Don't know if anyone has already posted this, but there is a new Blog post at the official forum: http://www.thesims3.com/community/blog

Quote:
Additionally, we visited with The Sims audio team who shared with us the upcoming line-up of rising stars that have recorded their music in Simlish for The Sims 3 University Life . Whether Sims are throwing the party of their lives, rallying a protest or hitting the books, we think that these new Simlish tunes are sure to leave a footprint your time spent playing University Life. There’s new music from the California indie rock band The Mowgli's, the British Pop group Blaise, the Norwegian sensation Donkeyboy and many more. With such an eclectic mix of songs to choose from, you and your Sims are sure to have the time of your lives in this pack. Here's the full list of artists:

• Ashtar Command – "All of our Lives we Must Learn to Forget"
• Dan Deacon – "True Thrush"
• Gold Fields – "Treehouse"
• The Mowgli’s – "San Francisco"
• The Royal Concept – "D amn"
• The Shades – "Gobba Bweezie"
• Blaise – "Thunderstorm"
• Leontib – "U Nu Wah"
• Donkeyboy – "City Boy"
• The Penelopes – "Now Now Now"

Question: Does anyone know if the Limited Edition is going to be available at retail stores? I heard that now that Origin is available for Macs it will be the only place to be able to get Limited Editions. But it looks like several other retailers are advertising Limited Editions so I think this must be bull hockey.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Instructor
#1565 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
I'll give odds that the flower petals left behind by the plantsim cause route failures by ordinary sims trying to walk past them.

Those are probably particle effects that won't be a problem to our Sims. I'm more worried about the next EP, Routing Lag Paradise.
Instructor
#1566 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
At least we already have a mesh for the lavender, since we already have lavender flowers that are much nicer than these! This is what I don't understand, there is already a banana tree and already a lavender bush. Couldn't they just have used those meshes??

That's what I thought - I know I have a pretty nice lavender mesh in my game, but couldn't remember if its EA or CC. The fact that its EA really doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't use that mesh. (And the banana tree, as well.)

waiter, there's a conundrum in my soup
The Adom Legacy
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#1567 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 12:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906

Question: Does anyone know if the Limited Edition is going to be available at retail stores? I heard that now that Origin is available for Macs it will be the only place to be able to get Limited Editions. But it looks like several other retailers are advertising Limited Editions so I think this must be bull hockey.
I have never bought from origin, and every copy of all the EP's I have were purchased from a brick and mortar shop, and I have never had a problem getting the Limited Editions. Hell, I could probably still get the LE of Pets, if I really felt the need to get another one..
Scholar
#1568 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PunkyBreester
That's what I thought - I know I have a pretty nice lavender mesh in my game, but couldn't remember if its EA or CC. The fact that its EA really doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't use that mesh. (And the banana tree, as well.)

I think it has to do with the animations, all the gardening animations are geared to work with one of the three original plant meshes or the fourth mushroom type mesh from SUP.
Forum Resident
#1569 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 1:11 AM
Phht. That's just an excuse. People have done all sorts of things to objects with specific animations and have it look all right. The animations for gardening are generic enough that all you'd have to do is make sure the plant is scaled appropriately so that the sims hands are in the general vicinity of the right area to look about as good as on any other harvestable plant.

They made all sorts of new plant types with growth states for Supernatural, there is NO reason why they can't do that for other EP/SPs. Other than cutting corners, which is most likely what it comes down to. They'd prefer to spend the time and resources making sure the half-dozen Major specific objects animate properly than spend any time at all on plants.
Field Researcher
#1570 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Periandre
I think it has to do with the animations, all the gardening animations are geared to work with one of the three original plant meshes or the fourth mushroom type mesh from SUP.

Naw, EA continues to put in just enough effort to make something happen or exist and leave it up to the players to try to take it beyond that, because they know they'll get money either way just for putting it out. I swear, they make things with the assumption modders will fix it if it ends up not being fully and/or correctly functioning because they know the modders who need all expansion packs will buy and fix it and so other people will buy it and apply the fix as a result of that... yeah.

The modding community is a blessing and a curse because it fixes EA's screwups but lets EA get lazy and KEEP putting out broken products, but this isn't the thread for that.

/riveting tale, chap
Scholar
#1571 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 1:35 AM
And yet... There is a difference between the level of acceptance for what modders do and what EA does. And, of course, there should be. But if EA used the existing lavendar mesh and thereby provided a realistic looking lavender in the midst of 50 unrealistic plants... What do you think would happen? What about the banana tree? What about the cherry tree? Now all the other plants look horrible and unrealistic...

We've played through the base game and 8 expansions with simish plant (lack of) variations...

Surely this ain't a deal breaker
Field Researcher
#1572 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 1:42 AM
It's not a dealbreaker for me either way -- EA's just a mess all-around and the plant thing doesn't bother me, personally. I'd be getting this pack no matter what since it + Seasons were the two I wanted the most, but it's a little 'sigh' worthy that this even has to be a discussion, you know? And that's nothing against the players when I say that. I'm just saying EA's lazy and would rather reuse animations than come up with something different/new, which is true! It's not inherently a bad thing and keeps things uniform and neat ... but is also lazy (and cheap) work. It's a lot simpler and easier, but still. People would likely be 'ugh' either way, but that's the gaming community for ya.

I have no idea if this even makes sense outside of my head. What are words?
Scholar
#1573 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 1:47 AM
I do see what you're saying. It's discordant that they develop realistic plant meshes, but the gardening meshes are rather cartoonish. My point is that at this stage of the game, it is what it is. Personally, I'd rather EA put their resources towards creating new and different things* rather than fixing plants. Because fixing one, will lead to cries to fix all.

ETA: * -- And fixing game breaking bugs!
Field Researcher
#1574 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 1:50 AM
Yeah, there's not a lot they can do now and keeping the same thing makes sense. Plants are so far down on my 'list of things to be concerned over' when it comes to Sims that it may not even be on the dang list. It's pretty much one of the least annoying 'flaws' to the game and there are more gamebreaking ones and things that actually take away from the enjoyment that they can focus on.

Doesn't mean it's not annoying, but it's certainly something that can be left as it is.
Inventor
#1575 Old 16th Feb 2013 at 2:17 AM
I am getting confused. Are we talking about "University Life" EP or a "Farmsville" EP?
Page 63 of 95