Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#6401 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 9:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Well, if 4 goes back to single lot, loading screen play, I might as well just reinstall TS2 and play that. At least there, all the EPs and SPs are already released, and the mod and content community is all built out and stable. Why spend another several hundred dollars on a new ecosystem, especially if it's bringing back the very limitations that made TS2 so limiting, the lack of CAST resulting in endless collections of recolors if you cared about appearances, and the return of cut scenes, slowing down game play and forcing you to move either your whole household to another lot for a group activity, or just a single sim at a time, for some off lot experience.

The loss of an open world is, for me, a non-starter. Right now, I have a family of 3, 2 adults and a teen. On a Saturday, I can send them off to 3 separate community lots. I can have all 3 engage in different pursuits, whether conversations, romances, or activities. I can, most importantly, switch between them in real game time. I can seamlessly manage them all across town. That's what open world brings. More than just strolling or driving or biking to another lot. The ability to task separate sims in diverse locations and have them all doing "stuff" simultaneously.

My exact thoughts. TS3 was the fisrt game in the series I played seriously mainly because of the open neighborhood. If TS4 will just be TS2 with better graphics, I'll go back to not caring about the series.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#6402 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 9:52 AM
Quote:
My hood has RH only for work purposes but when my sims go out on town, regardless is it going to the local liquor store to buy some booze, shopping for groceries or going out for a coffee they do it all in open venues.

I play the same way Ani_, right now I am playing Enekjaer now and having interactive, open venues tend to keep the lots filled with sims. You might have a point about not having sims travel far to get to the lots. The only lot with hardly any sims on it is the Big Show lot I downloaded from MySimsRealty. I haven't developed a performer yet because of waiting for mods to stop the need for simporting. *praying to the sim gods*

After giving Roaring Heights a go with it's enormous lots and RHs, I have changed it to the interactive/RH rugs lots. Now there are more sims on community lots. I get a good number on the nightclub lots too.

Quote:
I wonder what exactly do they mean by being satisfied. If going to work is going and disappearing inside an object on the lot, it's a RH. If going to work is disappearing of camera like in TS1 and TS2 it's still a RH. The only none RH scenario is that all work places are open (like in the open RH job mod) but EA has mentioned that this is not happening in TS4.

Maybe EA allowed open restaurants and shopping again? That is what I took from it.

Quote:
Is that actual fact that it's delayed to 2015 now?

On another topic, I was looking at the windows in the outside comparison shots of the house. It seems TS4 will either be very graphically different in how it renders glass, *or* the TS4 one is an artist impression. Those windows have sort of painted on "reflectivity" like how we used to make mirrors in TS1.

My patience has thinned about information and really not anticipating it anymore. Otherwise I will become obsessive so forget EA is the best way for me to go.

I keep hoping the pictures from the Sims 4 presentation will be an improvement whenever they decide to show new, improved graphics. I am not a fan of the drawn, art style reflections on the windows. I want real reflections. My preference.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6403 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 9:56 AM
In a way it will be helpful to me if they do delay a while, because I think this constant churn of EPs and patches means that I never really got into actually playing TS3. A period where nothing new happens other than a few store things might relax me and let me play a bit. Just as long as each new store thing doesn't require a patch!!!

I wonder why EA reps "tell" things to the people interviewing them that are "off record" and not meant to be told on? Surely if it was really meant to be secret they'd not tell anyone at all, and if stuff kept slipping out accidentally during conversation, that rep would soon be replaced by someone more trustworthy for the role. Is it the intention that stuff will leak out ? That's usually the case when a politician "leaks" something.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6404 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 11:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Well, if 4 goes back to single lot, loading screen play, I might as well just reinstall TS2 and play that. ... Yet THE real life simulator, the Sims, might devolve back into a single lot, cut screen method that was the source of endless waiting, and that prevented you from managing your sim family in anything other than a single unit, and that's considered acceptable? That just strikes me as flat out bizarre.

Couldn't agree with you more. I never got into TS3 but the ONE thing I did like about it was the open world and that's what I'd be looking for in the new game to make the transition from TS2, which for me is an excellent game that suits my play style, to something new. And, as I said several months back, I'd like a new game. <sigh>

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#6405 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 11:26 AM
If we are back to separate lots, then this new engine better be that good. Sims's EPs are an absolute technical mess that only gets worse with time. I cannot imagine the loading times two years (which probably means 8 EPs) after the base game releases.

Regarding that interview, it's cute how they brag about this new feature that makes the game find the "correct" color combination for your outfitt. Who would ever use that? The results should be disastrous as the developers have made clear that you can't trust their sense of style at all

BTW:

Quote:
@SimGuruMartin I know you want more info, and I promise that it’s coming soon. Give us a few more months! :-)
Lab Assistant
#6406 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 11:43 AM
Code:
SimGuruMartin I know you want more info, and I promise that it’s coming soon. Give us a few more months!

Well then, something is seriously wrong. At first I thought that not giving information, was EA way to continue to sell worlds and other sims 3 stuff, by not let the customers attention to go to sims 4. But now I am thinking that they have some big problems with sims 4. Something is fishy and not only the origin spyware. I hope that we don’t see the game at 2017…
#6407 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 12:13 PM
Well it rather confirms the snippet I read from one of the links above that the original start was scrapped - I guess that was when they decided not to make it an online game at its core based on problems with simcity. So basically all they *could* tell us all that way back was that it's not an online game

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#6408 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 1:19 PM
This probably has to be one of the worst game promos in the WORLD.

vanilla-breyers.tumblr.com
Scholar
#6409 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 2:35 PM
EA f*cked up again??!! well,well....surprises after surprises

Taking this into consideration, they could released one more ep and sp for sims 3..........but now it's too late.they probably further will milk money from store sets with pc.
Lab Assistant
#6410 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 3:53 PM Last edited by karamela131 : 24th Feb 2014 at 4:46 PM.
So that’s what is going to happen:
The Sims Makin’ Magic Live Broadcast

SimGuruRyan: Let me talk about sims1. When the music is playing, sims dance the Charleston together; TV-watching sims will lean forward and gaze intently at the screen or laugh out loud; and conversing sims will gesticulate appropriately as they chat, dish out insults, tell jokes, and more…

SimGuruLauren: Oh my God!!!! Ryan that’s aaawesome!!!! So people what do you think? Would you buy again the sims 1 series and give as some bread? Of course our awesomeness doesn’t stop here, you can have all the expansions for only 99 dollars!!!! Isn’t that aaawesome????

Guru Ryan Oh yes its aaawesome, better start buying you lucky devils!!!!

Oh, wait, are these guru still working for EA?
#6411 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 5:13 PM
I think Lauren is gone.

Lab Assistant
#6412 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
Multitasking is doing two different interactions together.

FYI, that's exactly what we mean when we discuss multitasking in The Sims 4. It is not a single interaction that's just animated differently. It is multiple independent interactions being executed simultaneously.

Unfortunately this highlights some of the difficulty that arises when doing previews when we don't share the same native language with the interviewer, and then those previews are ran back through an online translator. The high level stuff makes it through, but a lot of the subtle (but important) details can get scrambled. In this particular case I don't think the interviewer even misunderstood, just the way it's phrased there unintentionally suggests something that isn't true. I know you're all eager for information, I'd just generally suggest keeping that in mind before over-analyzing the minutiae in these previews.

Sims Producer Graham Nardone - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham
#6413 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruGraham
FYI, that's exactly what we mean when we discuss multitasking in The Sims 4. It is not a single interaction that's just animated differently. It is multiple independent interactions being executed simultaneously.

Graham, will a sim who you have told to paint a picture be able to take a quick bathroom break and go back to painting without the player have to tell them to paint again?

Forum Resident
#6414 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Graham, will a sim who you have told to paint a picture be able to take a quick bathroom break and go back to painting without the player have to tell them to paint again?

That's a good question. I don't see that happening though... then how would sims burn meals after leaving them on stove just because he had to pee and then totally forgot about it.

Also, i would feel neglected.. so YOU don't need me to tell you what to do?, *flips table*
Lab Assistant
#6415 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 9:50 PM

Nope, that would be a sequence of tasks and not a form of multitasking. As in previous games, you could direct a Sim to paint, then use the bathroom, then resume painting, and the extra interactions would wait in the queue until they could execute.

Alternatively you could ask me, "Graham, will Sims be able to multitask by painting a picture while using the bathroom?" to which I would also, sadly, have to answer "no".

Sims Producer Graham Nardone - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham
#6416 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 10:07 PM
lol! No I was thinking they'd just be in the user-directed painting interaction and visiting the bathroom might be automatically nested if their bladder got too full. So I guess I was talking nesting rather than multitasking.

Test Subject
#6417 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 11:00 PM
lol! No I was thinking they'd just be in the user-directed painting interaction and visiting the bathroom might be automatically nested if their bladder got too full. So I guess I was talking nesting rather than multitasking.

That actually would be pretty amazing!
Instructor
#6418 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 11:05 PM
Saying "a few months" three months after saying "a few months" is... dumb. I could use stronger language but I don't think I even care enough to bother.

I promise I'm not as grumpy as my avatar looks.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6419 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 11:08 PM
Alternatively you could ask me, "Graham, will Sims be able to multitask by painting a picture while using the bathroom?" to which I would also, sadly, have to answer "no".

Godammit. Can they still read on the loo? Please tell me it's so.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#6420 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Godammit. Can they still read on the loo? Please tell me it's so.

Was that only in sims 2? or in 3 too? i tend to cancel the paper due to the incompetence of that little cute girl who always leaves the paper in front of the door. (NOT).
One Minute Ninja'd
#6421 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 12:19 AM

But if your answer was "sadly, yes", I would have pre-ordered this minute.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6422 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 1:05 AM
I'm guessing Sims can't wet themselves while painting. It'd make a mess, but it certainly kills 2 birds with one stone.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#6423 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 1:30 AM
Guys at least this is not the Sailor Moon anime reboot... we waited for 2 years with no preview of the new reboot, we got new merchandise and a musical but it didn't please the fandom one bit!! Let's be a bit more patient and enjoy the things we have... finish the legacies we haven't finished, kill the sims that annoy us, build new houses for our favourite families and eat fruit.
Instructor
#6424 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 4:01 AM
^And we still haven't gotten a decent preview/promo yet. Toei and EA must be cousins.

Just as long as EA doesn't release sim lingerie to somehow promote 4 (though I admit, I would be bizarrely intrigued..)
One Minute Ninja'd
#6425 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 4:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 999rozes
Guys at least this is not the Sailor Moon anime reboot... we waited for 2 years with no preview of the new reboot, we got new merchandise and a musical but it didn't please the fandom one bit!! Let's be a bit more patient and enjoy the things we have... finish the legacies we haven't finished, kill the sims that annoy us, build new houses for our favourite families and eat fruit.

Bravo! Sound advice and thoughtful insight from an apparently well grounded, emotionally mature person. I agree with all your suggested activities, but just want to check one thing. Would a piece of lemon meringue pie count as a fruit? Real lemon juice was used in making the pie, and I hate to waste a dessert slot on just an apple.

And to be honest, if it meant waiting for a delayed release into 2015 for them to have enough time to (re)build the game engine, I'd be perfectly content. After all, we'll be living with what that base game engine is capable of for 5 or so years through follow up EPs and other content, so getting it right at the beginning is crucial for the long term success of the franchise.
Locked thread
Page 257 of 817