Replies: 18 (Who?), Viewed: 1694 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 2:43 AM
Clearing Your Cache
When you clear your cache, on TS4, to save space, & loading time (although it doesn't seem NEARLY as necessary, as it did, in TS3!), which files are absolutely safe, to delete, and which are not? Obviously, thumbnails, and anything .tmp can go, but I see an awful lot of filenames & extensions, under "Saves," that I don't recognize, from TS3. Thanks!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 6:22 AM
I literally just did this last night. I looked at the information here and on other sites and deleted the files inside of the cache folder but NOT the fileCache configuration file that is in it. Everything in the lotdatacache folder. And the localthumbcache.package file just in the main TS4 folder.
dodgy builder
#3 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 8:40 AM
Crinrict has the instructions here: http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/0...te-cache-files/ and the Delte Origin Cache files linked to at the bottom.

From time to time my game won't load and then I delete the Origin folder in programfiles. Deleting the Origin folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ seems to be enough to lift the game and I don't need to log on Origin again. It's so annoying with all these passwords.
Alchemist
#4 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 1:04 PM
I only have 2 files in my Cache Folder:
fileCache
and temp500445411.js.cache
Forum Resident
#5 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 5:22 PM
my cache folder is completely empty.
Instructor
#6 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 6:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by applefeather2
I only have 2 files in my Cache Folder:
fileCache
and temp500445411.js.cache

That's how mine looks and that temp file is what you delete. Here's photos of all the files to delete. Delete only the ones that are selected in these screenshots. These are the ones that have proved ok to delete so far by several sources.

And you don't have to do this but I've been taking a lot of pics in game so after a while I move all of them to a different folder on my pc and delete the ones in the game folder. You can do the same with videos.
Alchemist
#7 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 6:34 PM
Very helpful, @melbrewer367.
I have about 60 plus in the lotcacheddata. Are all those safe to delete?
Instructor
#8 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by applefeather2
Very helpful, @melbrewer367.
I have about 60 plus in the lotcacheddata. Are all those safe to delete?

Yes. I only have a few right now because I just deleted everything a day or two ago.
Alchemist
#9 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 11:06 PM
Thank you. I was afraid to delete them. Now I'm okay with that, so thanks again.
Instructor
#10 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 11:27 PM
No problem!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 19th Oct 2014 at 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbrewer367
That's how mine looks and that temp file is what you delete. Here's photos of all the files to delete. Delete only the ones that are selected in these screenshots. These are the ones that have proved ok to delete so far by several sources.

And you don't have to do this but I've been taking a lot of pics in game so after a while I move all of them to a different folder on my pc and delete the ones in the game folder. You can do the same with videos.

Thank you! This really helped with my blasted loading times!! :D
Instructor
#12 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brytewolf
Thank you! This really helped with my blasted loading times!! :D

No problem! And same here! I hate load screens!! <---First world problems. lol
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 1:31 AM
I agree with @melbrewer367 about clearing out the photos. I hated the way they were (NOT) organized in game, and the way all the different households were mixed together. I started pulling them out and saving them in separate folders for each save, with subfolders for each family. Then I can put the ones I want back in, if I want them to access memories (but I don't, really.) It's much easier to keep track of them outside of the screenshot folder.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 1:52 AM
My localthumbcache.package was 79MB. Is that normal? O_O
Instructor
#15 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 2:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore61
I agree with @melbrewer367 about clearing out the photos. I hated the way they were (NOT) organized in game, and the way all the different households were mixed together. I started pulling them out and saving them in separate folders for each save, with subfolders for each family. Then I can put the ones I want back in, if I want them to access memories (but I don't, really.) It's much easier to keep track of them outside of the screenshot folder.

Yep. That's exactly what I do. I have folders for them outside of the game folder and organize them that way. I don't bother with memories either because the pictures are all out of order when you go to the memories to set them up and it lags really bad while it tries to load the pictures.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 2:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkmorecocoa
My localthumbcache.package was 79MB. Is that normal? O_O

It's a normal size. I deleted that file maybe 2 days ago(?) so I've had only a few playing sessions, and my file is 23mb already.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 26th Oct 2014 at 4:04 PM
A quick thanks to melbrewer367. This is a very helpful thread.
Test Subject
#18 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 4:55 AM
Thank you for helping to get them cleared. The pictures are what helped me the most.!!
Field Researcher
#19 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 5:21 PM
Awesome. Thank you so much. This was super duper helpful! <3