Replies: 9 (Who?), Viewed: 1108 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th May 2015 at 5:14 AM Last edited by An_dz : 20th May 2015 at 5:14 AM. Reason: My English skills are trying to joke me
Default Script mods don't work on second level
I just want to confirm if the behaviour I'm experiencing is the same on all installations.

I noticed with my own mod that script mods only work on root and in the first level directory, if the script is nested more deeply it simply does not work.

I want confirmation from others because if this proves to be true we will need to tell our downloaders about it, especially because this will probably "fix" for those that can't get our mods to work.
Advertisement
Deceased
#2 Old 20th May 2015 at 6:22 AM
Yup, scripts in a zip file will only load directly from the mods folder. They shouldn't even be working one subfolder deep unless EA silently changed that on us.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th May 2015 at 6:45 AM Last edited by An_dz : 20th May 2015 at 7:06 AM.
Yes, they work one sub-directory deep. I guess downloaders need clarification on this as all instructions I see only say to place the mods in the Mods folder, but not specifically on root.

Edit: Except for your instructions, you tell people to place in the root. But I think this should apply in MTS default instructions.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th May 2015 at 8:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by An_dz
I think this should apply in MTS default instructions.

Ah, thank you. I’ll look into getting those changed – I wasn’t aware of that myself since I hardly use subfolders at all.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th May 2015 at 3:36 PM
Thank you.
Deceased
#6 Old 20th May 2015 at 4:35 PM
Wow, great discovery An_dz! I wonder when that changed that a script zip could go into a subfolder like that? I'm pretty sure I'd tried that in the past and it didn't work... but maybe I just dreamed it.
Instructor
#7 Old 20th May 2015 at 7:52 PM
Strange. I have some loose scripts 2 folders down the mods folder and it's working
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th May 2015 at 8:40 PM Last edited by An_dz : 20th May 2015 at 8:41 PM. Reason: may be older
Loose scripts work two levels down for me too. Like /Mods/MyMod/Scripts/*.py/, but that's on EAxis guide. But zipped scripts only work at root or one level down.

@scumbumbo
Well I can confirm from 1.5.139. But checking my download history looks, al least, since 1.0.797.20.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#9 Old 27th May 2015 at 10:50 PM
I added the line “Script mods need to be placed directly in \Mods or one level below that (e.g. \Mods\Scripts) – sub-folders nested any deeper won’t work.” to the install instructions for script mods. (Don’t be surprised when that change doesn’t show on existing uploads immediately – this is because of something to do with server caches, it’ll take a while to propagate)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th May 2015 at 2:53 AM
Looks clear enough. Thanks for the time.