Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#826 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 10:15 PM
Please, excuse the little Frenchy here, but what does it mean "incorporate wood siding to at least 10 panels of the exterior walls" ?

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Advertisement
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#827 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ankoyume
Please, excuse the little Frenchy here, but what does it mean "incorporate wood siding to at least 10 panels of the exterior walls" ?
Please use 10 walls worth of siding on the outside walls.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Instructor
#828 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 1:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
Please use 10 walls worth of siding on the outside walls.

To check if I've understood well : once I've chosen the "color" for the exterior walls, I have to keep that said color for all the exterior walls, or at least for a distance of 10 tiles wide.
Am I right ?

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Link Ninja
#829 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 2:04 AM
The way I understood it was 10 exterior walls anywhere on the structure had to be wood panels.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Scholar
#830 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 2:40 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 23rd Jun 2016 at 4:01 AM.
In terms of the "10 walls worth of siding on the outside walls", this would be my interpretation as a judge:

So long as there is some wooden walls on the exterior view of your properties, you'll be fine. The walls do not have to be connected, you can use your choices of wood wall materials, so long as wood has some visibility on your building's exterior design.

Saying 10 wall tiles was meant to clarify what a "few" or "some" wall tiles meant. Now it's solely my opinion, but I probably would have stated it as a minimum fraction/percentage of the property's exterior walls, seeing as how a structure's wall count will vary from property to property. Then again, it would introduce some math skills, although more basic I'd imagine.

EDIT: Also, this round requests "at least" 10 wood wall tiles. So don't feel like you have to put "exactly" 10 wood will tiles.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Incidentally, I'd like to congratulate you all for making it this far into the contest. I've enjoyed many of the properties to view and judge. I hope you will all continue with the creative juices in producing spectacular looking lots. I hope this contest isn't too fast pace, I see some of you need to tend to other more important matters at times, and that's entirely fine, real-life comes first. I check this thread everyday to see what develops. Sometimes the questions remind me of the previous contest, with all the technical details to iron out, LOL. Keep up the good work everyone!

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#831 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 3:16 AM
Does it count if the ten walls are on roof peaks? The walls in a roof are often only partly there, like a triangle.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#832 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 4:07 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 25th Jun 2016 at 4:37 AM.
I'd think it's better to play safe and say "wall tiles" means those 70 simoleon full rectangular pieces (e.g. in The sims 2), rather than those roof peaks. The height of a roof's peak can vary. Even though a roof's peak can be as high as a wall, if it didn't require placing walls to make it exist, then it most likely doesn't count as a wall tile.

This must also count in the other games, The Sims 3 and The Sims 4, or else we'll have other exceptions added to a list. The easiest way to compare would be the full wall tiles.

See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#833 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 5:30 AM
I thought as much, but figured I would ask. This is the first building in the contest that I am not covering in cladding! Couldn't have been the last round, nope.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#834 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 8:20 AM
Thank you, d_dgjdhh, for explaining the '10' part very well. siding comes in some other materials as well as wood

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#835 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 12:42 PM
Anyone else having trouble roofing this building? Justpetro, I hope that juice bar is well stocked, I need it!

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#836 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 2:20 PM
Bring cookies
Mad Poster
#837 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 3:45 PM
Thank you, d_dgjdhh, for explaining the '10' part very well. siding comes in some other materials as well as wood

WOAH! Karen - do you mean they don't have to be 'wood'??? Aluminum and utility metal will also count?

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#838 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 10:36 PM
Anything that is in the siding section in the build catalogue will count

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#839 Old 22nd Jun 2016 at 11:31 PM
I really hope both my CFE covered walls and my roof peak together is enough wood cladding, it covers a large area at the front. When I say roof peak it isn't some tiny end, it covers most of the front. I know they are somewhat smaller but it's got to be over at least 30 of them.

It must be siding? Okay now I am in trouble, I think my wood cladding falls under paneling.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#840 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 12:11 AM
Anything that is in the siding section in the build catalogue will count

Ahhh.....that's gonna cause confusion.

The requirements ask for "wood" sidings, not just "any" sidings. As for what comes from the siding section in the build catalogue, that can't really be determined when it's custom content.

Perhaps following a strict reading of the requirements is fine. Maybe you meant to say that the sides could be a combination of wood and other materials on 1 wall tile?

Mad Poster
#841 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 5:35 AM
I realize this got discussed at some length earlier, but I don't see any firm answer having been arrived at. How are the beds/rooms defined for the lodging venues? The requirements for the upscale hotel (which I'm doing this round) are listed as such:

2 double bedrooms
1 single bedroom
1 suite of rooms to include, double room and single room, sitting room

Given its phrasing, I would interpret that as 2 rooms with 1 double bed each, so that each room slept 2, one room with 1 single bed, sleeping 1, and a suite with a double and single bed, sleeping 3. That seems an odd setup for a hotel though, given that the vast majority I've stayed in were always double beds no matter what, so rooms slept either 2 or 4. Which way should I be going with this?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#842 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 5:42 AM Last edited by justJones : 23rd Jun 2016 at 6:02 AM.
The first way you thought is right, Z. Double bedroom means one double bed; single bedroom means one single bed.

Q: Can it be painted wood? If it's clearly still wood siding? (like visible grain)

(see attached pic)
Screenshots
Link Ninja
#843 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 6:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
I realize this got discussed at some length earlier, but I don't see any firm answer having been arrived at. How are the beds/rooms defined for the lodging venues? The requirements for the upscale hotel (which I'm doing this round) are listed as such:

2 double bedrooms
1 single bedroom
1 suite of rooms to include, double room and single room, sitting room

Given its phrasing, I would interpret that as 2 rooms with 1 double bed each, so that each room slept 2, one room with 1 single bed, sleeping 1, and a suite with a double and single bed, sleeping 3. That seems an odd setup for a hotel though, given that the vast majority I've stayed in were always double beds no matter what, so rooms slept either 2 or 4. Which way should I be going with this?

This is how I interpreted it for the upmarket hotel in post #575 and Karen confirmed it was correct in post #580, so it was easy to lose the solid answer in between. I agree, its an odd set up in America hotels and am used to what you said but your breakdown of the meanings of the requirements is correct.

Top Secret Researcher
#844 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 6:44 AM
Uh... I took wood from the paneling section as well - boards with wood texture seemed to be "wood" for me :-(
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
Original Poster
#845 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 9:16 AM
@joandsarah77
@Zarathustra
@Charmful
@justJones
@Vincent T.

Right, I seem to have confused everyone here, so, please use anything from the 'siding' section in the build catalogue and I will allow any wood panelling from the panelling section that has slats that go this way this way. The wood can be painted.

Charmful is correct in her interpretation of the hotel guest rooms - that is how it is in the UK.

I think that answers all the questions for now

Scores update: I am waiting for one judge to submit their scores.

Field Researcher
#846 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 9:26 AM
I hope painted wood is allowed too, this round sounded like the perfect opportunity to use Holysimoly's seaside retreat siding :lovestruc

[Edit] question was answered while I was writing ^^
Top Secret Researcher
#847 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 8:30 PM Last edited by Vincent T. : 27th Jun 2016 at 5:33 PM.
Default The Boathouse Pool
Round 3 - the Details:
Venue: Leisure Centre
Built in TS3
No use of cc
Wood siding: all exteriour walls (the front part uses a different one than the back part, the back part uses the same "boards" on the outside as can be seen in the pictures of the pool)

Many old boathouses were put to different usage on the island - some turned into private property, others demolished. This one was turned into an swimming pool and a home to the local beach volleyball club.
During the renovation process as much of the original structure and "flair" was kept. Other parts were modernised, the changing and shower rooms or the café's kitchen for example, to make sure all requirements of hygiene regulations were met.
Don't miss the thrilling championship in summer, when all two teams compete for the title! Usually it is shopkeepers vs. teachers and lifeguards. During the rest of the year the playing field of course can be used by everyone - often closely monitored by the coach so that she won't miss any new promising talents for the club.

JustJones, thanks again for your tutorial on inline-pics :-) Without it I would be at a complete loss!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#848 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 8:52 PM
No problem, Vincent Someone else had issues years ago in the first contest I hosted. I've linked it for several people in contests since then, lol.
Link Ninja
#849 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 9:24 PM
Vince, that is a stunning build! It goes so well with lighthouse and i LOVE that the lighthouse from round 2 is in the background I also love that covered pool that goes to the sea <3

Mad Poster
#850 Old 23rd Jun 2016 at 9:55 PM
Excellent work, Vincent T! Staring does work in your case

Page 34 of 44