Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#76 Old 8th Jul 2016 at 6:25 PM Last edited by OkamiFukuro : 8th Jul 2016 at 6:44 PM.
So, I managed to get most of it working after all; turns out the OBJ hadn't saved properly and therefore wasn't loading the UV map right in TSRW, so when I tried to add the texture, it threw a fit. However, I am still having a few problems. The nacelle on the right side of the ship is showing the texture, but is hard to see due to shadowing. I'm thinking that's just an issue with TSRW and the way the light is hitting the object, but I thought I'd mention it. I added a picture of the left nacelle for comparison. (pictures 2, 3, 5)

As well, the back end of the ship has textures that appear to be blacked out (ends of nacelles, mainly) no matter what angle I look at them from. In milkshape, however, the texture shows fine. Any idea what the issue might be there? I'm again wondering if it's just TSRW being stupid, but thought I'd ask anyways. (picture 1)

Other than those issues, as you can see in the fourth picture, it worked out pretty good! Some of the textures on the main body of the ship aren't aligned completely, but I can't be bothered to deal with that.

Edit: I was also wondering if it would be possible to add the titles on the top of the ship; "U.S.S. Voyager" and "NCC-74656". If not, that's okay. I'll survive, or, if I get ambitious, I could always try another model.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#77 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 11:43 AM
Seems like there are duplicated faces on it, and that happens a lot with Xnalara meshes. What you want to do is in Blender, select the entire mesh in edit mode, press the spacebar and write down 'remove doubles'. if that doesn't work out, you can use Model cleaner and align normals in Milkshape. Usually that's what works out for me.

And sure! you can write whatever you want on it! Besides, it's a texture. One thing though, the game won't accept specular maps the way you did there. You need to grayscale them and make them incredibly bright. Create a new alpha channel and copy paste the grayscaled picture on the alpha channel. Usually I use this tutorial if I need some sort of reference when it comes to special textures, but it's also perfect if you're new to texturing ^-^

http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ima...ionTextures.pdf
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#78 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 7:19 PM
I gave that a shot; nothing has changed. The backs of the nacelles are still dark. The milkshape method almost worked, but the align normals thing didn't fix the mesh. It's all broken and glitchy and stuff. Any ideas?

For the writing, I'm wondering how I'd put it on there. With the way the texture is, only half of the top of the ship is shown; therefore, I couldn't write the whole title as whatever I wrote down would end up duplicated.

For the specular, I knew what I did wouldn't work; I just put that in to fill the slot while I tested things.
Screenshots
Virtual gardener
#79 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 8:34 PM
Wait crap I forgot to tell you to press no on every pop up in Model cleaner. it will make the mesh look all spikey and all.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#80 Old 9th Jul 2016 at 10:20 PM
Oh, okay, haha. I'll fix that then.

Still not sure how I'd do the writing, though, with how it would just duplicate whatever I put on both sides which would look totally weird and wrong. Any ideas on that one?
Virtual gardener
#81 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 1:02 PM
Since the mesh is mirrored... well that will be a problem. Unless you want to remap the entire mesh again >-<
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#82 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 4:20 PM Last edited by OkamiFukuro : 10th Jul 2016 at 5:35 PM.
Darn. I'd prefer not to, since I'm still not very good at doing that and would probably screw something up, so I guess I'll have to live without the writing on it.

Maybe if I get ambitious or can get someone else to do it, it'll happen, but probably not. I'm too lazy to bother.

Thanks for all your help!
Virtual gardener
#83 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 7:11 PM
You're welcome! ^-^ In case you need some help on other projects, i'm right here!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#84 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 7:26 PM
Well, I might need help with parts of the Janeway set; I figured I might as well do the rest I think I should be able to get the tables okay, but the chaise, dining chair and end chair I might need your help on. Everything else I'm looking at converting has it's own textures. I think. O.O

Actually, now that I think about it, there are a couple things I converted once that didn't work out. A set of rank pip accessories (ensign to captain, plus admiral bars) and a Voyager combadge accessory from TS2; I got the meshes to extract and stuff and got textures working, however, even though they showed up fine in TSRW, they wouldn't appear in game. Any thoughts?

I also don't know if you happen to know how to convert clothing... I've been attempt and failing royally.
Virtual gardener
#85 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 8:15 PM
Sounds like you didn't assign the bones correctly there. TSRW right (And the version you're using) basically assigns it automatically to the imported mesh right now. At least it does for me. Else this little basic fix page would work out great: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...TS3_Meshing_FAQ
I take my bet on the bones though XD

Converting clothing, ohoh I've been doing that for almost 3 years now, while object creating is just something I got into! I've made a video tutorial on how to do it and also shows the correct ways to make clothing (So seamless, and with correct bones, morphs, etc). So anything clothing related, I basically encountered all sorts of errors and issues at least once and got them fixed. ^-^
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#86 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 9:08 PM
Hmm.... okay. That sounds kind of confusing, but I'll pull out the folder with all the stuff in it (if it's still there) and take a look. I can recall that all I did was extract the mesh and import it, and then fiddle around for placement so it's probably the bones, which I'm honestly not sure how to fix.

In that case... any chance I could get a hand converting a couple of Voyager uniforms? I've tried all kinds of things to get it to work but no matter what I do, they just don't show up correctly or a piece of mesh is broken, or some other issue. It's these ones here: https://nixedsims.wordpress.com/201...yager-uniforms/ and https://nixedsims.wordpress.com/201...dress-uniforms/ The rank insignia I tried to convert are also shown there. Mostly I'm after the first link, which is the generic uniform for both genders, but the dress ones (again for both genders) would be great too.

I feel I should mention that Nix does say on her page that it's okay to convert things for personal use only. https://nixedsims.wordpress.com/policy/
Virtual gardener
#87 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 10:13 PM
I usually clone an object, export that as a WSo and call it 'reference' or 'ref' and then import it in Milkshape with your own mesh (I usually keep the shadow mesh though). Then, delete the Ref mesh and select all groups of your own mesh. Go to the joints tab and click 'assign'. Now you can safetly import it with the correct bones it should have. If it has more bones than one, you could try this trick: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...664#post4933664

I use it a lot on objects that have more bones. You don't have to do it if you have one bone though which is usually the case.

Also, for the clothing, how did they exactly show up? Else, you can take a look at this video tutorial I made: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...zqeXqAJOuZIy4w7
(You can skip the LOD deleting part and the extracting part.) This is basically how every conversion goes.

For both genders, you probably need to redo the outfit for male and female. You can't give a male a female mesh. It's literally impossible to make unisex clothing in the sims 3
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#88 Old 10th Jul 2016 at 10:23 PM
Hmm... okay. I'll give that a try when I find the folder with all of the stuff.

When I tried converting, I never got them in game. In Milkshape I used Bloombase's arm and bone fixes, and the knee area on one pant leg got all messed up. The one time I did manage to get things working enough to put it into TSRW, it completely messed up. In TSRW, the mesh distorted and went all over the place. It was a big mess. After that point I basically just said screw it and gave up.

Also, with those video tutorials, I'm not sure how to align them with TS2 stuff, as the process would, I assume, be different.

Yeah, I know. There is both a male and female mesh in both links above, which is why I said I was wanting to convert both genders. If it was only a uniform for one gender I wouldn't bother.
Virtual gardener
#89 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 12:25 PM
Extracting it is a bit different, but from there it's pretty much the same. I'm working on a big ts2 to ts3 project where I converted about 20 outfits already. So what I can tell is that it's the same process, just a bit easier to work with since the ts2 body and ts3 body is pretty much the same, just scaled a lot and for the arms and legs, a bit low poly.

For the mesh being distored, that actually happens a lot when the bones you use are corrupted. I'm not sure if you ever used meshtoolkit?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#90 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 3:42 PM
From the tutorial I tried to follow (I think it was this page: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=407561), it said to use Bloombase's arm fix, then her bone fix, and from there, remove the feet, edit the hands and the neckline to fit the TS3 meshes, which is confusing to me. So, to be honest, I'm not really sure what to do at all.

I've heard of meshtoolkit, but I don't think I've ever used it.
Virtual gardener
#91 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 4:33 PM
... So far I can see is that you might have accidentally used the ts2 bones instead of ts3 bones. Also, you could say this is more like a, either 'advanced' tutorial or more like a 'old-way' tutorial.And because the pics are missing I guess that could confuse things. I regulary check this page though since it has some awesome tutorials when you're working with TSRW: http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ind...ating_Tutorials

Also the note says: Note,
This will only work on meshes used with Wes H his GEOM exporter, NOT TSRW's WSO exporter!!

So maybe that describes a bit why it didn't work out? You could import the OBJ in Blender though to where you left and follow my tutorial from there (and skipping the extracting part of course). You just need to be sure you delete the skims 2 body that comes with the clothing.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#92 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 4:58 PM
I know what I did was export the TS2 mesh with SimPe, opened the arm fix, imported the mesh, did the things it said, saved it, then opened the bone fix, imported the arm fixed mesh, and followed the steps. No TSRW WSO's used.

Any chance you'd be willing to attempt one of the conversions and send me some pictures or a video of the steps you take to show me how to do it? Or step by step instructions or something? Your written explanation confuses me I'm not sure what you mean by 'deleting the sims 2 body' and stuff, or even how to get sims 3 bones in there, etc.
Virtual gardener
#93 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 5:55 PM
Well... actually that's all explained in that tutorial I sent you, the conversion tutorial https://www.youtube.com/playlist?li...zqeXqAJOuZIy4w7 ) Like I said before, the entire progress is exactly the same, just not the extracting part (because there I use DAImodder and you need to extract the GMDC in SimPE as obj.) But from there, everything is the same, even if you would make custom clothing instead of converting stuff.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#94 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 6:05 PM
Okay... I'll take a look again. One thing though, how do I extract the GMDC as Obj? Whenever I hit the extract button, it comes out as a 5gd file, which I then have to convert to obj. Is there a step I'm missing?
Virtual gardener
#95 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 6:13 PM
Oh no! I thought I had to extract it that way too, but it's not like that. So you want to go to the plugin viewer (which you can select if you go to 'window' and check it if it isn't already) from there you'll see a 'import' 'export' and 'preview' button. Just click export.
That also might explain why your UV map was all screwed up.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#96 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 6:21 PM
Ohhh, okay. That's good to know! So, I should just be able to follow the video then and be able to remove the TS2 bones, and import TS3 ones and stuff?

Also, would you be able to help with this at all? It's another of mine. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=579975
Virtual gardener
#97 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 10:39 AM
if you import it as a OBJ, the bones will automatically get removed because OBj doesn't support bones. But yep, just follow the video and it should be fine!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#98 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 7:59 PM
How do I remove the hands and feet from the mesh? Although the hands might be fine, I'm fairly sure that the shoes have to be removed. I attempted to follow the steps in your first video (where you deleted the hands) but the mesh is all in one piece, so I can't do that in this case.

Other than that issue.... I think things are going okay? I'm not too far yet, but... I'm so not used to using Blender to I'm attempting to learn how all of the controls work.
Screenshots
Virtual gardener
#99 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 8:39 PM
Yep you should delete the shoes. But if 'L' doesn't work, then... I guess you should select it instead. Are you using an old version of Blender? I can't really tell from the picture right now since the part where I can read it from is chopped off. >-< But 2.7+ (I use 2.76) Has this new and helpful function where you can select an entire group with 'L', ANd I could do it with the sims 2 meshes as well. Just make sure you see these blue lines and you know you're good.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#100 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 8:48 PM Last edited by OkamiFukuro : 12th Jul 2016 at 9:01 PM.
I'm in 2.76 as well. As I said, I don't know all the controls, so I didn't know that "L" did that. So I got rid of the shoes. Should I do the hands as well and replace them with TS3 hands?

Also, is it okay if things aren't lined up perfectly? Like, I have most of the body mesh aligned (I think it's right) but the backs of the legs aren't quite right.
Screenshots
Page 4 of 7