Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#551 Old 2nd Nov 2016 at 7:38 PM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : 7th Nov 2016 at 8:42 PM.
Default Official Entry R3 - Victorian Shell

This is a "time capsule" house!
In 1966, after the owners were tragically murdered during a dinner party, the house was closed. No one has been inside since. So, obviously, it is really well preserved inside.

The house has literally been wrapped up since that fateful day 50 years ago. The 'powers-that-be' of the time knew the house would be closed for a long time, so they used an asbestos-wrap preservation technique to seal up the house. Now days we know how hazardous asbestos is. So, before showing this house to the public, a professional removal team has been hired to clean out the asbestos and make the environment safe again. Therefore - as you peruse the pictorial "tours" - note that the furniture covers have all been removed as well as the dust accumulation on the floors. It is not "clean" by any stretch of the imagination; but it looks better than most abandoned houses of this vintage.

Please enjoy these two 'tours' I have set up for you:

Thank you for indulging my ramble-on tendencies. LOL! And, excusing the lateness of my completed entry

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Advertisement
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#552 Old 2nd Nov 2016 at 9:20 PM
We do need three judges to continue. Everyone put out your feelers!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#553 Old 2nd Nov 2016 at 9:37 PM
I'll post on the sims 2 board -if that is okay?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#554 Old 2nd Nov 2016 at 10:44 PM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : 2nd Nov 2016 at 11:29 PM.
Heh heh heh... In light of my not-quite-being-done-yet predicament... I say, we need three.
Helpful?

Oh DUH!!! I completely read that wrong, Phae. Instead of "We do..." I read "Do we...?"
I need new glasses

ETA: (6:27pm) Pictures are all taken. Not cleaned up, just taken. Whew!
Now it's time to cook dinner... Petro - what'cha got?

and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#555 Old 3rd Nov 2016 at 12:18 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 3rd Nov 2016 at 12:34 AM.
Default Emergency Judge
Hi! I don't think I'm the ideal person, but if you're really stuck, I'll volunteer to act as emergency judge. I think I qualify (only just) because I finished 5th in the Monopoly Game Town Contest, and I believe I do have a Google Plus account, although I've never used it. (Google gave me the account because I'm on YouTube, and that's owned by Google now.) I'm not the ideal person, because I haven't been following the contest, and I haven't a clue how to use my Google Plus account, so, if someone else volunteers, please take them rather than me, but if you're stuck, I'll give it my best shot. I'll need a few days to get up to speed and read through 23 pages of posts. Even though I originally thought of entering, I'm not really sure how this contest works, but I should be able to remedy that by reading the initial posts.

[EDIT]I've just checked, and my Google + account is working.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Lab Assistant
#556 Old 3rd Nov 2016 at 12:29 AM
I'll also volunteer as an emergency judge. I was first place in the Monopoly Game Town Contest, and I have a good handle on Google docs. Haven't been following the contest, but I've had a look around the thread to familiarize myself.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#557 Old 3rd Nov 2016 at 12:39 AM Last edited by porkypine : 3rd Nov 2016 at 8:23 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh

Porky, you should try plasticbox's bigger attics method, basically creating a shorter dummy level under the roofs, so you'll have more standing height without it looking like a full roof. Without the extra level, you are going to lose a lot of points for required rooms not being there. The basement is nice, but it's not going to make up for the lost space. Also, do you also have enough parking spaces?

Thanks for that helpful link (shove ). I know how to use CFE but it did not occur to me to use it for a dummy level. Great idea!
I'll work on this tonight... I always intended to get the 3rd floor in. :D

update: Yep, that gave extra headroom but placing doors was a problem. The door cutouts don't fit correctly when placed on the small and regular walls joins. I took it apart again and went with a third floor with some roof pieces on top of second floor. (see monstrosity image in entry)
Mad Poster
#558 Old 3rd Nov 2016 at 5:49 AM
Thank you, Andrew and caitawesome Special cocktails brewing for you. (Ah, Cat, come and have a fermented juice, any color you like )
retired moderator
Original Poster
#559 Old 3rd Nov 2016 at 5:56 PM
@AndrewGloria and @caitawesome, I'm going to take you both up on your kind offers and get you trained asap. PM me your google account name (usually your gmail address) and I'll get you set up with your spreadsheets. Judging is pretty simple, I have drop down boxes for every category, and all the math is done automatically. Writing comments to the contestants is optional. For your first round, I'm going to ask that you skip the comments because we are already crazy behind and I want to get the scores up asap. After the scores are in, then I PM all the judges with what the renovation is going to be, and you give me a list of buildings you just can't see that new space occupying. I take all the lists, compare them and come up with who will be renovating.

I've started a new job doing data entry work for UPS, it's third shift, so I won't be around in the evenings or late nights anymore, and I'll be getting up in the morning a little later than before now, basically y'all gained a few hours in the 'before Phae wakes up' deadlines.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#560 Old 3rd Nov 2016 at 10:12 PM
@Phaenoh Is there some trick in the use of the comment area because that box gives me all kinds of issues. Am I missing something?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Link Ninja
#561 Old 3rd Nov 2016 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@Phaenoh Is there some trick in the use of the comment area because that box gives me all kinds of issues. Am I missing something?

@joandsarah77

I don't know if it depends which browser you are using but what I do is write out my initial thoughts in the cell then go back into the cell by double-clicking and then it will form a paragraph box which makes it easier to read and edit as needed on the spreadsheet.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#562 Old 3rd Nov 2016 at 10:46 PM
I am finding sometimes it forms a larger box and other timers it seems to be joined smaller boxes. It's probably when it forms the smaller boxes I run into trouble.. Also I will delete something but find out later it's still there. It disappears and reapers. Last time I had two sentences showing up twice and it took repeated goes to sort it out. I'm on Fire Fox. I think I may type it in word and try pasting it in.

~Call me Jo~
retired moderator
Original Poster
#563 Old 3rd Nov 2016 at 11:14 PM
Jo, it sounds like you are having random troubles with it, I'd just type in Word and paste rather than troubleshoot this weirdness.

Ok, just sent the permissions over to our new judges. Veteran judges, can you help them out tonight if they have problems? Let's get this train rolling again!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#564 Old 3rd Nov 2016 at 11:23 PM
Welcome new judges! You will find the new tab to each round right down at the bottom of the judging sheet then it's mostly just drop down menu and select.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#565 Old 4th Nov 2016 at 12:19 AM
Default Entry - Victorian Shell
I don't know if this will still be accepted, but I might as well give it a shot.

This is my Victorian house. In the first floor there's a parlour, a dining room, an office, a room for the butler, a kitchen, a pantry and a back entrance. The second floor has two master bedrooms and two sitting rooms, as well as a bathroom. The third floor has a playroom, three bedrooms, a bathroom and a room for the nanny. Outside, there are parking spaces for 3.

When will the results of the warehouse shell be posted?
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#566 Old 4th Nov 2016 at 4:24 AM
Well we only just got a new replacement judge so they will have a few days to get their scores in I should think. You may have missed a few pages back that AdonisPluto had a family tragedy and pulled out as the third judge.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#567 Old 4th Nov 2016 at 10:42 AM
Just a technical note, Jo, Notepad is better than Word for pre-writing things for those text boxes. Word tends to do all kinds of things with curly quotes and long hyphens and ellipsis which don't translate well to web.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#568 Old 4th Nov 2016 at 11:23 AM
Welcome to our new judges (No Aging off, Andrew )
Mad Poster
#569 Old 4th Nov 2016 at 4:09 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 4th Nov 2016 at 10:27 PM.
Hi!

I've finished scoring (for the first time ever). Cait must have done the same the same. I'm still not quite sure how this works, but the results seem to be available here.

It's my first time judging, and, having come in at short notice, I have to say that I find the standard of work quite excellent, and I'm glad I'm not trying to compete with you all. It's quite difficult to judge in a few minutes, a lot that has obviously taken hours of work to build. I hope I've done justice to you all.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#570 Old 4th Nov 2016 at 8:47 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 4th Nov 2016 at 9:22 PM.
Andrew, please don't share out the links, and especially never your spreadsheet link, those scores weren't exactly public yet. >.< Though sneaky contestants could have bookmarked the link and periodically been checking it.

So yeah, R2 Warehouse scores are now completed! They are available at: score sheet. I'll be adding them to the front page and all the other entries we've had since, shortly.

Judges, look for a PM within the next few hours about the new reno, and remember, keep it all a secret!

Simsfreq, I can't find your Victorian shell entry, do you have it posted yet?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#571 Old 4th Nov 2016 at 9:55 PM
Now that we have our judges on board, I've adjusted the schedule. I had to extend the contest by a week, but was able to adjust the rest so we still don't have any bad overlaps. There will only ever be one new thing to build each week, so if it only takes you a week, you'll never overlap.

• Church to Retail judging will begin TOMORROW. If you were supposed to renovate a church and haven't gotten it posted yet, you have until tomorrow noonish EST to get it posted.
  • Round 2 Warehouse renovations will begin TOMORROW. I will post names and blueprints as soon as I have them.
  • Rundown Victorian judging will begin NEXT WEEK. You have one more week to get them in. I'm missing an entry from Simsfreq, and anyone who already said they had to bow out but found they had some extra time is welcome to post up whatever they have for some points.
  • Round 4 will be announced NEXT WEEK.

PLEASE check the front page to see if I am missing any of your entries. If you haven't posted an entry for something, please get it up asap, I am granting grace periods.
Mad Poster
#572 Old 4th Nov 2016 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
...sneaky contestants could have bookmarked the link and periodically been checking it.

Oh! I didn't think to bookmark it! Duh! :blush: You wanna let it slip once more?

I'm adding a few more pictures to my Victorian entry (post #551) - though I still don't have them all ready yet. It should be a complete entry tomorrow. Hopefully.

Cheers!

and Vintage Stuffeths
Lab Assistant
#573 Old 5th Nov 2016 at 2:26 AM
Hello, sorry to intrude but I think there may be an error in the scoring table. Kazen's total score is 38 but should be 39 (19+20)
:P

Play my sims 3 version of The Princess Challenge

Currently playing The Dynasty Challenge
Mad Poster
#574 Old 5th Nov 2016 at 5:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Letcupcake
...an error in the scoring table. Kazen's total score is 38 but should be 39 (19+20)
:P

I noticed that too She should be a point ahead of me, not tied.

and Vintage Stuffeths
Scholar
#575 Old 5th Nov 2016 at 7:55 PM
Not to be a diva, but could Judge 4 let me know what rooms they thought I was missing? Everybody else gave an "all rooms" or "all rooms and extra" mark. Seems like that one ought to be reasonably across-the-board.
*runs back to her novelling: 13380 or bust today....*

Page 23 of 37