Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#851 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 4:44 PM
Sorry for double posting again! Have been several hours
Question: Keep the paved play area. Does this mean it has to remain paved? Before I turn it into something I may have to undo, I'd like to know!
Advertisement
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#852 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 7:23 PM
That was written with the belief that you'd already have lots of parking because it was a school, and the playground would be nice for the kids who live at these apartments. If you want to tear up any leftover area, I guess go for it? Make sure you keep plenty of parking.
Mad Poster
#853 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 7:28 PM
Thank you Parking is done - so no problem there!
Forum Resident
#854 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 9:04 AM
hi guys ~ how are things going? =) what is this apartment reno I'm seeing while scrolling about??
sounds fun I wish I can return but I'm too busy D:

Cheers for everyone!!! I'm excited to see all your work <3
Mad Poster
#855 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 9:33 AM
Hi, kanzen I will make you a cocktail at the juice bar while you are here!

Question:
I think my apartment is done.
I have changed the lot zoning, and it is an apartment now, but the mailbox did not spawn. The game does recognize it as an apartment complex with four apartments to rent, it has the green block thing (if it has a name, sorry, I don't know it ) above in hood view, and it frankly does not bother me all that much - I am not going to use it as an apartment anyway and may turn it into a hotel for my own game. Is that a problem that will cost me points? I'd like to make sure since I already lost some points due to stupid things like lot size and not enough stair cases (even though the points really don't matter to me, I do try to avoid doing stupid things most of the time)
Forum Resident
#856 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 9:43 AM
apartments have a special place in my heart so im super excited!!!

pls make me a greentea based drink <3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#857 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 9:47 PM
Petro, try converting your school from commercial to residential, then to apartment. The game has trouble going between comm and res, and that might be what's going wrong with it. You might need to put down a buyable mailbox if it doesn't do it on it's own. When you click on it from the hood view, can you see four empty apartment slots? If not, your apartments didn't divide properly and it means you have some shared space somewhere, and you will need to fix that.
Mad Poster
#858 Old 27th Jan 2017 at 10:11 PM Last edited by Justpetro : 27th Jan 2017 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Add something
No, the apartments are correct, all four are for hire, it is not that. Little green apartment (not a box, I noticed) on top of it as well. They are divided properly. Everything is there except the mailbox. I did convert it to residential first - did not help. I will download the mailbox and see if it works. Thank you

Edit: The buyable mailbox worked. Just standing in a stupid position right now I will fix that tomorrow. Thank you, Phaenoh
Scholar
#859 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 2:43 AM
Maybe that's what I need to do as well. I have the same problem as Justpetro: much as I hate downloading something so stupid... I do intend to use it as an apartment lot in the future.
Mad Poster
#860 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 8:03 AM
ForeverCamp - It did work at once, so it is worth it
Mad Poster
#861 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 3:27 PM
Default Entry - Round 4 Reno : Apartment
Sorry for another double post here, I guess

So Phaenoh says build an apartment. Deep breaths, lots of wine, and an apartment gets built And I had fun!

Searched around for some cc on my pc, and decided that I really want to use some of my favourite things. So here is an apartment with plenty of Poppet's Lonesome colours, some funky chairs from Onbehave, some Ikea recolors from Michelle, some stunning walls from Honeywell and some bedding and colors from Karen Lorraine, plus Simfused and Macarossi plants and a variety of my favourite lights.

I let go of the balcony idea (it was going to be a common area in my initial planning anyway) and did not add walls in hallways. Plumbing presented no huge problem, since I had large bathrooms in the old school. I could not really see a huge, huge flat with a kitchen with the size of a postage stamp, so the two huge flats each has a scullery in the old bathroom part and a kitchen without a sink close by. I moved the bathroom wall on the second floor so that my smaller two bedroom flat can have more space, but it is still located in the old bathrooms' space. I added walls inside the entrances of the flats to make hallways so that Sims can easily get to wherever they want to go from there. Since one of the classrooms on floor 2 and 3 is situated between the lift and the stairs, it became part of the common area on each floor.

So welcome to the JP Apartments then!
Scholar
#862 Old 29th Jan 2017 at 12:24 AM
Default Round 4 Reno - Official Entry
Welcome back to Loch Namara! The former Elizabeth Regina School has been beautifully transformed into the Elizabeth Regina Apartments, four lovely units ready to be moved into. Take advantage of the maintained indoor pool area, or rock out with your friends at the karaoke machine in the common area. Send the kids outside to play on the updated playground, while the grownups enjoy a relaxing soak in our natural hot springs (who would've known that there was a natural hot spring running beneath the school yard?)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#863 Old 30th Jan 2017 at 7:10 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 30th Jan 2017 at 10:59 PM.
@Phaenoh I'm here, but I don't know where on my sheet the library is. I am thinking it would be the done up Victorian but the link is going to the old shell. Can you link them up?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#864 Old 1st Feb 2017 at 10:07 PM
Well... I think I've finally figured out how to divvy the top floor apartments so each can have a bathroom and a kitchen. It's not real purty - but it functions. *sigh*
I don't see why my contractor can't run another line for an extra sink or two; but, there you have it.

I still have a lot of work to do yet - decorators to hire, office staff, landscaping, etc... The playground has cleaned up nicely - but it seems so bare with all that concrete. I really want to add sand or park-bark to soften the kid's falls.- or maybe a rubberized flooring? OK. I'm off to go play work

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#865 Old 2nd Feb 2017 at 10:14 AM
I asked about the playground too, Cat - Phaenoh said as long as there is enough parking, break up whatever (see post 852).
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#866 Old 3rd Feb 2017 at 10:01 PM Last edited by porkypine : 5th Feb 2017 at 9:09 PM.
Apartments

Sorry guys. I've been sick. The apartments are not inspired. The hallway, while wide enough for hundreds of children stomping through is too wide for apartment hallways when there are only 2 units per floor. The apartments are long and skinny and I HATE long hallways in housing, they are a waste of space. Anyway.. Here you go... I had to rebuild this lot because I lost the original.

Please note that the 'balconies' are actually inside the original building. I did not extend the footprint. I took away from the available floor space.

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#867 Old 3rd Feb 2017 at 10:58 PM
Not bad for uninspired, Porkypine The balconies look very good! I hope you fee better.
Mad Poster
#868 Old 7th Feb 2017 at 11:09 PM
Looks good to me, Porkypine ...and I feel your pain (hallways too big - but great for when the kiddos roamed!)

I've got some "pain" of my own goin' on here today *sigh*...
Last night, I was pretty psyched - the apartments are almost done. Just have a few more touchy-uppy type things, and I'll be ready for pictures. YAY!
...This morning I started my PC - and somehow it had eated my user account Gone. Everything gone! A blank desktop that was not my own stared back at me. Ahhhhhh!
What had I done??? Have you ever had this happen? OMG! I freaked! I am so glad I didn't have an actual heart attack (I easily could have...)

Well, after several deep breaths, much crying and gnashing of teeth, pleading and praying - I'm finally (6pm) at least on-line again.
All my data and program files are still on the hard drive - I think... (and I have a back-up that is only 7 days old).
I tried to do a 'repair' through the BIOS - I'm on a 10 year old Vista 64bit, and the Safe Mode help file said to do it - it didn't fix anything.
So, I did a system restore - but it was too old, I think, and messed up a bunch of drivers.
I took a nice long walk with Hattie (my daughter - who's 12 and 'special' and had a hard time dealing with Mom-having-a-hard-time. Oi!)
Then, I did another System restore from Feb 4th.
Approved a bunch of drivers that wanted to install.
Re-installed my web-browser (Thank God for the no-frills IE that shipped with my machine - and that I didn't delete it!)
And, here I am.
Now, I'm going to see if my sims will load. I guess I'm taking a day off from Etsy - but I gotta see if my apartment survived. Yikes! Fingers crossed, please?

and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#869 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 12:52 AM
Holding thumbs, Cat I am making drinks! We all seem to have run into virtual problems here - we should start a club.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#870 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 9:28 PM
Catherine. Open windows file explorer and look at the c: Users and see if you can navigate to your downloads folder. You can save that to a jump drive if it lets you see it. - That will only work if the password works.

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#871 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 10:42 PM
Thanks guys I think I'm back in business now... more or less. My school/apt building is still in one piece. I haven't tried to load my full game yet (contests and build projects are on an AGS) I'll get there eventually.

I could see my user account (going the route you mapped above Porkypine) but, it wouldn't let me IN to it - so I couldn't do anything. It had created a "TEMP" user account, and that's the only one it would let me access. Very frustrating!!!

Anywho... I'm planning to get my apt posted this weekend.
Thanks for the hydration Petro - I needed that

and Vintage Stuffeths
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#872 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 7:44 AM
I judged the library round without it being linked to, but I would really appreciate it if what is left could be.

I don't know what 'stacks' are so I guessed bookshelves.

I had no room to write the comment so I deleted the old one.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
retired moderator
Original Poster
#873 Old 11th Feb 2017 at 4:38 AM
Jo, I'll try to get to it next week, I've been swamped with work at the moment, and this weekend I'm attending a conference. The comments for the reno should be the next column over, but I'll work with whatever you fill out.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#874 Old 12th Feb 2017 at 2:12 AM
I don't know how to get more columns they were full to the end. I'd like to get on and finish judging, so soon as the next part is ready I will start.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#875 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 10:20 PM
Default Official Entry - R4 School Reno/Apartments
I have inside "tour" pictures for each of the apartments... but, at this point, I just want to get what pictures I have finished uploaded. I think the top-down/floorplan pictures show everything pretty well. If you (judges) want to see more detailed interior apt shots, please let me know. K?

Here is my School Reno - finally! - It has "a leasing office, a club room with tv and couches and similar recreation, a workout room, an indoor pool, and a small kitchenette. The two upper floors have been converted into 4 apartments: 2 two-bedrooms on the second floor, and the top floor has 1 one-bed and 1 three-bed apartment. The playground and parking has been cleaned up and kept."
Plumbing meets all requirements - no item has been moved more than 2 squares from it's original location.
"Classroom" walls were rearranged a bit (though not much, really) within each of the apartments.
Hall/common area walls were not changed - EXCEPT for the apartment 'entry way' walls that I had permission to add (see post #841).

This contest was a LOTs of fun!!! Thank you Phae and all the wonderful Judges who've worked so hard to keep this going You're da best!
If my 'puter hadn't been such a putz these last few weeks, this apartment would've been much more fun to build/present! Thank you for waiting for me...

and Vintage Stuffeths

Page 35 of 37