Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#5176 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 3:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nukk
I also discovered that if your Sim purchases a pet from a store, it opens a pet CAS basically, so that's neat and unexpected. I figured I was just getting a randomized pet, but apparently not!

Yes! Before I knew about this, I was carefully chosen what breed I would put up for sale...lol Just in case, that was what a sim would get. Now I know better and guess what?...I still go for the look. lol

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#5177 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 3:09 AM
It's only through adoption you get no chance to choose your pet for customization. The adoptive dogs and cats are it. No changing them, unfortunately.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#5178 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 3:16 AM
Well, you have change pet's name appearance in the mirror.

Mad Poster
#5179 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 11:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
Now for what I've discovered, not really today, but over a period of time: Sims have got an extra name, possibly a "Known As" name, that the developers of SimPE appear not to have known about.
I have never seen the names Teresa and Devi in-game, and I cannot find the names Tess and Denise anywhere in SimPE.

This is normal for townies, dormies, downtownies, etc. All of them have names that are "only referenced in the game files" as Sims.Wikia puts it, although it does seem odd that only the hidden names show up in SimPE. The game randomizes the name that the sim actually uses in the neighborhood. Here's the article on Orion Teens as an example. There are LOTS of others on that site. I don't know why Maxis bothered giving them names if they're just going to get randomized ones anyway.
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Orion_Teens
Quote: Originally posted by TheSimsWiki
Orion's name is randomized when Downtown is generated. The name "Orion Teens" is only referenced in the game files.
Mad Poster
#5180 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by conversesneaker
It's known - all the subhood Sims (University, Downtown, Shopping, Vacation, etc.) have names in code but once they are generated, get randomly generated names.
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
This is normal for townies, dormies, downtownies, etc. All of them have names that are "only referenced in the game files" as Sims.Wikia puts it, although it does seem odd that only the hidden names show up in SimPE. The game randomizes the name that the sim actually uses in the neighborhood. Here's the article on Orion Teens as an example. There are LOTS of others on that site. I don't know why Maxis bothered giving them names if they're just going to get randomized ones anyway.
I know about that but this is different. In the game files for OFB Tess/Teresa Joyner is known as Breanna Custer, and Denise/Devi Taylor is known as Trina Dalton. (As RoxEllen mentioned, these Sims are also referred to by these original names in the Wikia Sims Wiki.)

Tess/Teresa Joyner and Denise/Devi Taylor are the randomly generated names they picked up, and, because I have installed HP's Modified NPC and Townie Names (Live.package), the game took names from HP's list rather than from the Maxis original. The odd thing is that the first names that appear in SimPE are different from the ones that appear in-game.

Since my first post I've had a closer look at HP's mod in SimPE. It consists of 4 Text Lists (STR#): Male first names, Female first names, Male last names and Female last names. (Some languages have different forms for male and female last names; e.g. "-ski" and "-ska" endings in some Slavonic languages.) At the moment I'm looking mainly at the Female first names. Looking up these names in HP's mod, I noticed a pattern:
128 (0x0080 hex) Denise (in-game)
129 (0x0081 hex) Devi (SimPE)

375 (0x0177 hex) Tess (in-game)
376 (0x0178 hex) Teresa (SimPE)
(The numbers are the instance numbers used by HP.)
Originally I thought these might be "known as" names (Teresa might well prefer to be called Tess) but now I think it just looks as if the game is assigning two adjacent names from the list. In each case the first name in the pair seems to be the one used in the game, and the second one is the one used in SimPE. This is born out by another Bluewater townie who's got her name through HP's mod, Sierra Tsvirkunov (to use her game files name) In my game she is Frankie/Freya Hollins:
154 (0x009A hex) Frankie (in-game)
155 (0x009B hex) Freya (SimPE)

I am pretty sure that Live.package is only accessed when generating the new name, so the game must be storing both names. But the game itself is retrieving one name, and SimPE is retrieving the other one. I reckon the names must be stored in one of two places: in the relevant neighbourhood package (e.g. N003_Neighborhood.package for Veronaville), or in the individual Sim's character file (e.g. N003_User00318.package for Tess/Teresa Joyner in my game). In my first post I said that I couldn't find the names "Tess" and "Denise" anywhere in SimPE. Well, I have to correct that. In Tess/Teresa's character file, the single Object Data (OBJD) record is called "N003_User00318 - Tess". Well it seems very unlikely that that's where game is getting the name "Tess" from, but there it is! Denise Taylor and Frankie Hollins have similar OBJD records, but in their Catalog Descriptions (CTSS) they are all Teresa, Devi and Freya respectively.

I have some other Sims affected, but I can't remember their names (especially hard to remember when they have more than one! I think though that most Sims with names generated using the mod have one and the same name both in game and in SimPE. However I'm going to have to do quite a bit of checking up to see. It was a nice idea to think that it might be a "known as" name, but it's beginning to look as if it might just be some sort of problem with HP's mod. If it is that, then it's liable to affect other Live.Package name mods as I think they're all (or most of them) based on the same understanding. HP links to some posts by jordi which I tried to read when I installed the mod a few years ago, but I found them hard to understand. Maybe I should have another look.

One thing does seem clear to me. the game clearly has more than one place where it can store a Sim's first name, and it's possible to store different names in different places. This I think would account for the recommended way to change a Sim's name that I've read more than once in these forums. To change the last name, you should use SimPE. But to change the first name, you should use an in-game utility (Insimenator, Sim Blender or Sim Manipulator) because SimPE doesn't change every instance of the name.

If anyone really understands what's going on here, I'd love to hear from them. I suspect the late, great Mootilda probably understood it!

Sorry this post is long and rambling. I'm still feeling my way to whatever's going on. I'll post again when I've found out more.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5181 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 6:04 PM
Yes, I think it's an error with that particular Live!.Package mod.

This might explain why:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s....html#msg218290
Theo suspected a language thing, maybe he was partially right? Or perhaps the CTSS resource picks up a different language to the OBJD?

(Incidentally, Mootilda thought it was fine to change a sim's name in SimPE:
https://modthesims.info/t/showpost....92&postcount=14 )
Mad Poster
#5182 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 6:24 PM
I was in SimPE today cleaning up memories for all the Merged citizens, and found out that Puck and Bottom Summerdream are actually adopted. Both Titania and Oberon have a memory of adopting each of them.
Funny how the moral constraints show up. Instead of having children the old fashioned way, Maxis decided that because they're not married, they had to adopt.

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Mad Poster
#5183 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 6:29 PM
It's because they're fairies, Fran! Adopt, abduct, it's all the same thing, man.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#5184 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 7:03 PM
And here I was, thinking they were characters from Shakepeare's "A Midsummer's Night Dream".

Silly me..

Inventor
#5185 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 7:21 PM
I've always been under the impression that Puck was meant to represent a mish-mash of the human boy Titania and Oberon fight over (it kind of explains the adoption) and Lysander in the original play. I don't (refuse to?) understand why they named Bottom as such though, and she seems more like an expy of the original Robin, especially since Kent technically starts out with the actual Bottom's role.

That last part kind of sounds wrong...
Alchemist
#5186 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 7:23 PM
about pet adoption; phone shows a number of pets to choose from.
the Pets Prima Guide confirms that the display case menu is like Create-A-Pet. though if someone outside the played household adopts from display case, the pet would be the one that was in the case.

awhile ago noticed a BCON in SimPE listing various "universal" households. some of the households relate to pets.
7ffa; strays
7ff9; "orphaned pets"
7ff8 & 7ff7; display case. 7ff8, available pets; 7ff7, pets in use.
Mad Poster
#5187 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 7:27 PM
But then, other households would get the breed I chose to put on display. No one bought a Dalmatian, a Lab or a Chihuahua...

Theorist
#5188 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 8:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
And here I was, thinking they were characters from Shakepeare's "A Midsummer's Night Dream".

Silly me..

They are fairies from "A Midsummer Night's Dream" Oberon and Titania are the King and Queen of the fairies in that play. Their children are adopted because fairies are known to abduct human children and (according to some variations) keep them as pets (though the Indian Boy in the play was actually given to Titania by his dying mother, a favourite of the Fairy Queen, or at least Titania and Oberon claim that to be the case). And I think they aren't married when you play them the first time as a reference to Oberon and Titania being, more or less, divorced and at odds with one another during the events of the play. At the end of the play the two reconcile, just like part of the Summerdreams' house is already set up for the wedding.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Alchemist
#5189 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 8:52 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 21st Feb 2018 at 11:00 PM.
Most of the non-Townie/non-NPC pre-made Veronaville characters are from Shakespeare plays. Among playable characters, I think Consort is the only exception. Among characters that have a grave, I think Contessa is the only exception. Non-grave; a number of Titania's & Oberon's ancestors are some of those exceptions.
Mad Poster
#5190 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 9:49 PM
Consort doesn't have a grave at the start of the game. That's because he's still very much alive!! I tend to equate him with Lord Capulet in the play. (But then I've never seen or read Romeo and Juliet, only the children's story version by Charles and Mary Lamb. (Far from lying down and dying, in my game Consort is going to get married!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks simsample -- I'll post again soon!!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Alchemist
#5191 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 9:55 PM
it seems you missed the words that came before his name; "among playable characters".
and also the words that came after the word "grave"; "I think Contessa..."
Mad Poster
#5192 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 10:28 PM
Sorry mdsb759! I misunderstood your punctuation. But (and I hope I'm not being too pedantic) capital letters at the start of sentences really do help with reading comprehension. I believe you're not a native English speaker, and it can't be easy for you, but the half second or so it takes to hold down the Shift Key when you type the first letter of a sentence really does help readers to understand your posts.

No offence intended, and I hope none is taken!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#5193 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 10:29 PM
Though good job using ;

Theorist
#5194 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 10:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
most of the non-Townie/non-NPC pre-made Veronaville characters are from Shakespeare plays. among playable characters, I think Consort is the only exception; among characters that have a grave, I think Contessa is the only exception. non-grave; a number of Titania's & Oberon's ancestors are some of those exceptions.

Consort and Contessa are, arguably,not exceptions at all; Lord and Lady Capulet didn't have first names in Romeo and Juliet Contessa is just the rough Italian equivalent of "Lady"/"Countess" so she's really just Countess Capp -> Lady Capulet. Consort meanwhile often describes the spouse of a ruler, so he's "the husband of Countess Capp" -> Lord Capulet.
They literally are Lord and Lady Capulet.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Field Researcher
#5195 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 11:58 PM
And here I thought that "Consort" was a reference to the insult Tybalt uses on Romeo and Mercutio that escalated the fight that caused Mercutio and Tybalt's deaths.

Tybalt basically calls Romeo and Mercutio a couple, and Mercutio is so offended that refuses to listen to Romeo and fights Tybalt, defying the prince's order.

Part of the reason I buy into Veronaville headcannons that Consort is in the closet.

http://kahonseecity.livejournal.com/ < - New Prosperity Challenge. Last update: 6/9/14
Mad Poster
#5196 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EmeraldFalcon
Tybalt basically calls Romeo and Mercutio a couple, and Mercutio is so offended that refuses to listen to Romeo and fights Tybalt, defying the prince's order.

Yeah, I mean, translated into modern English, it basically goes like this:

Tybalt: lawl, gay!
Mercutio: Gay? Look, buddy, I might be as queer as a three dollar bill, but even if Romeo wasn't straight, he's really not my type! ...but you are!
*they fight*
Instructor
#5197 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 4:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EmeraldFalcon
And here I thought that "Consort" was a reference to the insult Tybalt uses on Romeo and Mercutio that escalated the fight that caused Mercutio and Tybalt's deaths.

Part of the reason I buy into Veronaville headcannons that Consort is in the closet.

You might want to brush up your Shakespeare...Mercutio doesn't draw his weapon until after Romeo refuses to respond to Tybalt's insults of "villain" and "boy" (although yes, he does mock Tybalt's use of the word 'consort' - "Zounds, consort!" - that's before Romeo's entrance. Yes, I love Shakespeare :lovestruc )

Honestly, I just think it was a lost opportunity that they didn't name Consort, "Lear". It was right there! But then, these are the same game developers who named a child "Bottom".
Inventor
#5198 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 7:18 AM Last edited by Sketching : 22nd Feb 2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Quote: Originally posted by conversesneaker
Honestly, I just think it was a lost opportunity that they didn't name Consort, "Lear". It was right there! But then, these are the same game developers who named a child "Bottom".

I guess there are characters who serve a dual purpose of sorts. The Puck-Hermia-Mercutio-Miranda tangle could be an attempt at Lysander-Hermia-Demetrius-Helena, among others. I usually imagine Consort as Lear instead though, albeit tweaked considering the Capps' matriarchal nature, and I think it's somewhat of a shame that there aren't more playable households or sims that are more representative of other Shakespearean (edit: spelling) characters, such as Macbeth and Hamlet. Adding a Lady Macbeth into the premade mix would've been interesting.

I like the thought put into some aspects of the hood, like Titania's character, the Summerdream house resembling Globe Theatre, and Juliette being stationed at the balcony when you first load the Summerdream house, but at the same time, I question The Bottom, where that strange hole in the middle of the Monty ranch leads to, and why in the world most of the houses are probably meant to fit pixies, not full-sized humans. The fae must've been in charge of architecture.
Mad Poster
#5199 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 8:02 AM
The architecture in Veronaville is some of the weirdest I've seen. Veronaville Market looks like someone gave up building it halfway through.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Inventor
#5200 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 8:18 AM
Star carpet in the Capp Manor, Moroccan furniture in an Italian ranch, giant yards and cramped houses... When I just edited the lots for plopping down back then, I was dismayed that the houses flooded, so I had to settle for an edited empty version of Veronaville and redid just about everything, including that market. Goneril's bunch can barely afford anything as they're shipped in-game too.
Page 208 of 445