Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#1201 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 11:19 PM
For the first time I am not finished way ahead of most. Not much needs doing but I haven't felt inspired lately. Maybe tomorrow I'll work on it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#1202 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 12:13 AM
I'm only "done" because I gambled on what the last round might be, and it payed off. If there had been any sort of restrictions imposed, I'd be back before square one...
(and... I'm not really done yet either *sigh*)

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#1203 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 7:45 AM
The contest curse strikes again. My turn to have a leak. Something in my kitchen is leaking, puddles and mess galore. Cross your fingers for me the plumbers come today.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#1204 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 11:23 AM
Hope you get that sorted soon. Leaks can be expensive, too, if you have to pay a water bill. In my part of the world, even if you show you've fixed the problem ASAP, the department won't adjust the bill. Annoying.

Anyway, question. My structure has five floors. Two floors get 15 pictures. Do five floors get 18? To be honest, though, the top floor is a swing-a-cat-floor (very narrow, and meant for one purpose only), and more for decoration than usage.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#1205 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 11:58 AM
I think it is 1 extra for every floor plan, isn't it?

I have a problem with the screenshots myself - although there is only 2 floors, they are huge and the floor plan pics have not come out all that clear. So I took 2 extra floor plan pics of the kitchen and the bathroom but now they are extra.

So can we - since it is any size lot and unlimited budget - perhaps get more pics for this round?
Instructor
#1206 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 12:42 PM
I am moving tomorrow morning..and still up in the air if I will have internet over the weekend..so today is finish packing, make sure I can get internet tomorrow, laundry..it's going to be a very busy 2 days..I'm all ready tired lol..

Good luck everyone on the last entries..
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#1207 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 5:14 PM
All the best with the move!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#1208 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 7:57 PM
Good luck with the move, I hope all goes well and smoothly
Instructor
#1209 Old 19th Apr 2018 at 9:32 PM
Everyone almost finished and I haven't even started! I feel like I've shot myself in the foot leaving the theme I think is the hardest, Eastern, for last. Now I'm somewhat busy and I don't even have the inspiration for the build yet. I'll try to get something done during this weekend to have any chance of submitting it before the deadline.

As for the judges comments, they seemed to be on the same page as I was - it needed more deco. I had bigger plans when I started building, I felt like it could be my best build. Unfortunately, I quickly realised it would have to have a lot more open space than I wanted or I wouldn't stay within budget. Just the structure of the hotel plus the winery ate up half of the total budget.
Judge 3, could it be possible to clarify why the theme felt like a mixture of tropical with country?
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1210 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 1:31 AM Last edited by gdayars : 20th Apr 2018 at 3:10 PM.
Floorplan pictures don't really count towards the totals. So if you have extra floors or need more than one picture for the same floor level, just lump them in with floorplan shots or name them floorplan 1 etc or say in the description these are all the necessary screenshots. And go ahead and add 5 extra shots allowed for the other shots

@gummilutt @joandsarah @Red Sonja just want you to read this so you know
Mad Poster
#1211 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvelotic2001
Judge 3, could it be possible to clarify why the theme felt like a mixture of tropical with country?

Sure thing. You've got a very modern looking building, which although I am sure does exist in countryside is more commonly seen as a beach hotel type thing. You've got tropical beddings, which sets the tone of the room and makes the rest of the green feel more tropical and palm-y than forest-y and field-y green. You've also got a lot of stone going on, which is more commonly seen in warm areas, since stone doesn't hold in heat very well. Certainly lots of stone buildings in the countryside, but this particular choice of stone and the way you've used it feels more tropical to me. So as with Catherine there are some question marks which means you lose out on the "everything screams theme"-point. Less question marks in your case, but I consulted with gdayars and we decided it didn't feel thoroughly countryside in comparison to other lots in the contest. The other theme point you lost is because of deco, since there really isn't enough of it to really say it has theme-appropriate deco.

Top Secret Researcher
#1212 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 5:57 AM
I think I've finished the build.
Ah yes, too many pictures again and re-takes needed. You'd think 10 pics would be enough but nooo.... Will have to put 2 together again.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1213 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 6:04 AM
You did see where I added more screenshots for this round right? @yavannatw
Top Secret Researcher
#1214 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 6:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
You did see where I added more screenshots for this round right? @yavannatw

For the necessary shots, right?
Mad Poster
#1215 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 6:11 AM Last edited by gazania : 22nd Apr 2018 at 8:22 PM.
ROUND FOUR ... Aqueous Island Lighthouse (inspired by Isla Aguada Lighthouse, Mexico): Tropical (REVISION)

First, since it would be horribly rude for me to claim any credit for this design, the inspiration picture: http://www.campeche.travel/en/isla-aguada-lighthouse/ The lighthouse in this picture dates from the late 19th/early 20th century. The earliest records mention 1907. I really was kidding when I said that each entry seems to take me about 30 years back. I had no idea that this contest would keep taking me back in time.

This is not an exact recreation. There was no way of putting roofing on the building with the tower in place. The angel statue's history is a figment of my imagination, as is most of the inside. I have never been here. But when I saw the picture of this lighthouse, I knew this had to be the build I wanted to use to inspire me. I hope I did justice to the original structure.

The yellow and pink squares near the lighthouse light are additional overhead and floor lighting. I tried to make the light nice and bright.

The name of the lighthouse is a play on the name of the inspiration lighthouse (Watery Island).

This will be the second building for my custom tropical vacation hood, The first is the beach version of the bungalow motel. It is on a flattened lot. I did stick a few soft dunes on the beach, but did not want to go too overboard on that and make it difficult for Sims to get around. There are small one-tile areas, but there was no way I could fix them without making the tower portion really large, and I enlarged it quite a bit already, as you can see from the inspiration picture.

There is also a window with a ladder against it. Take out the window, and the tower would not look very good from the outside. Take out the ladder, and how can a Sim get up there? So yes ... the ladder is against a window. It could have been worse. I tried the Salix one-tile stairs against it, and you barely saw the window at all! Nevertheless, routing is excellent.

I did not use beams in the building like the inspiration picture. They just didn't work with the design. I tried.

My Sims seem to enjoy their new lighthouse. I hope you will enjoy it as well.

Extra Shots. I calculated that I would have 22 shots total. Five floors, front, back and price are eight shots. For a one-floor building, ten extra shots. Add four for each extra floor. Total: 22. If I can't add (quite possible), please let me know! I can delete some shots.

NOTES: This is as good as it's going to be. With the exception of a grammatical error I fix at the last moment ... done!

Mad Poster
#1216 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 10:37 AM Last edited by gazania : 20th Apr 2018 at 10:57 AM.
Sorry for double-posting, but I'm stuck.

I realized stupidly that the original building did NOT have a fireplace. In the other photos I used as a reference, it looked like there was some sort of fireplace chimney there. I was mistaken. A tropical building probably wouldn't have a fireplace. How silly I was. To say I feel a little stupid is an understatement!

Now I can approach this a few ways:

1. This building is BASED on a structure. My lot does not necessarily have to be in the same geographical location, and some tropical areas can get cool; particularly near mountains.
2. There are actually some Costa Rican houses, albeit modern, that DO have fireplaces. Some people like fireplaces!
3. I can put something else there. It would mean retaking lots of pictures (the ones that had the chimney). I'm no stranger to that. Only ... what? I thought of an iron stove, but the chimney looks weird on the building. Also, Sims might be inclined to try cooking on it. Putting an invisible fence will probably get stompy Sims. Museum pieces ... I'm having no luck finding a barometer, sextant, large lighthouse light (though Sims Resource DOES have a rotating one. I went with a stationary one.), or anything like those ... in short, anything that isn't an anchor, captain's wheel or oars. I have pottery, but that's kind of "meh". I like interactive exhibits, but there aren't many for lighthouses! Maybe a piano ... musical entertainment was not uncommon then, and Sims and play it. Or an acoustic guitar (though I remember having issues with the one or two I tried). A loom? Well, you wouldn't actually produce weaving with PBK's loom, but your Sims may be occupied trying it. So far, that's the one that has some appeal.

The original inspiration has lots of light house pictures. No help there!

GAH! I hate to rush this, but I need to get this done a lot sooner than the deadline. I will probably not feel up to doing it after a couple of days.

Anyway, there will probably be retakes, but you got the gist of what I'm offering!

EDIT ... well ... I found a compass! And I can use papers on Maxis shelves as a sort of exhibit item: http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...hp?f=172&t=6150,

And ... whoa? A converted Myshuno game?

A drafting table might be useful ... Sims can try plotting courses or something?

It's late so I'll have to make fixes tomorrow, but don't be surprised if there are new pics tomorrow. In the meantime, any new ideas would be great, thanks! (As a playalong, I am NOT going to be passing by anyone score-wise!) At least I fixed the other design flaw (let's just say that Sims would be awfully, awfully hot and wet in the office area. While fixing it, I managed to stick a ladder there instead of the step-stairs, and cleared more of that problem window, so it doesn't look that bad now ... and my Sims should be nice and cool.

Top Secret Researcher
#1217 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 10:51 AM
My tropical house had a fireplace. With climate change you never know when you might need it and it's cosy.
You're too much of perfectionist. :p
Mad Poster
#1218 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 10:52 AM
I think so, yes. I am. I even researched the foliage to make sure that this lot could conceivably have the plants I used in real life! And I think it might be a case of if I fix the fireplace, I'll wind up with worse problems. I like the fireplace. It gives that area some warmth ... and not literally!

Reading the Costa Rican ad, some people simply like fireplaces, even in tropical areas. It's not as if it's never been done (it has ... many times), and people were probably doing it back then as well.

But that Myshuno game might be worth a couple of retakes ... That is definitely Sims catnip. I can stick it on the roof area. There is a HUGE blank space that is screaming for something.

Mad Poster
#1219 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 1:55 PM Last edited by Justpetro : 24th Apr 2018 at 10:11 AM.
Default Round 5 - Mountains/Country: Community Lot on a Cape Winelands farm
"Cyril, while we are here in the Kalahari, can we go down South and visit the Cape Winelands?"
"Well, why not? After all, many of those farms have lots perfect for sims interested in art and books and stuff. And then there is the unique Cape Dutch Architecture too Not to mention that they produce some of the world's best wines. You would love it there."
Cheslin smiled, because he knew he would. So off they went to the Cape Winelands.

In 1652, the Netherlands colonized the southern point of Africa in order to build a vegetable garden. The trade route from the Netherlands to India went past it, and not only was it around halfway, it also forced many ships to stop there anyway, due to the weather - it was known as the Cape of Storms. When the sailors started dying due to a lack of fresh vegetables, a vegetable garden was needed. Vegetable and fruit farms were established then, but in the 1670's another group of farmers came to the Cape. They were the French Huguenots, Protestants from France, and they started the wine farming in South Africa.

The first Cape Dutch house was built in the 1670's as well, designed by a mathematician, not an architect. The style quickly became popular, but ages later, in the era of British colonization, many of these buildings had to make way for high rise buildings, especially in the city. The Cape Dutch style remained popular, though, and new buildings have always been built. But it is ONLY in Cape Town, Stellenbosch and on the old farms and towns in the Cape Winelands where the original buildings survived. As the wine farms grew into large estates, more buildings were added when needed. These days, when you go through the valleys and the mountains of the Western Cape, you can visit numerous wine farms, and there will be all kinds of things: restaurants, art galleries, conference centres, wedding venues, museums, and for the old ones, a library, where the history of the wine farm is preserved. Spier farm has 21 different gables on different buildings built during the different eras. The wine cellar is a separate building as well. Many of these farms are heritage sites today.

The features of Cape Dutch Architecture:
1. 2 to 4 gables, originally specially designed, and higher than the roofs. Gables range from simple to extremely intricate.
2. Painted white outside, with thatched roofs with (green, blue or brown) shattered windows
3. Normally a high staircase at the front and the back - originally because of the mountainy areas
4. The garden is often a mix of formal and informal
5. The front and back door are directly opposite each other - there is a huge chandelier at the front, and walking through, one can see both sides of the interior.
6. Many of them have a fountain or statue in front of the stairs, you walk around it, and the fountain can be seen from the inside as well.
7. There is normally a back and a front porch.
8. They have wooden floors, inside the walls are paneling and
9. Can have one or two storeys
10. Furniture is present that have been accumulated over the years.

I think that the Cape Dutch Architecture and the Winelands here, and especially the fact that the two are combined, makes it pretty unique. I have posted some pictures under the spoiler of examples; they are NOT in the thumbnails, though - but at the end of the post:

Welcome to the Winelands, then : Rosenview:

Show Pictures of Required Pics

Other Pics:

Examples:

Edit: Added wikileaks links for the judges:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Dutch_architecture
http://www.sahistory.org.za/dated-e...s-arrive-cape-0
http://www.traveller24.com/Explore/...-farms-20150816
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2...t-wine-estates/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Cape_wine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groot_Constantia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vergelegen
https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Attra...stern_Cape.html
https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Attra...stern_Cape.html
https://www.drivesouthafrica.co.za/...e-western-cape/

Here are some websites of some of the wine farms:

https://www.grootconstantia.co.za/
http://www.vergelegen.co.za/
http://www.spier.co.za/
http://www.lanzerac.co.za/
http://www.laborieestate.co.za/

Of course, there are many, many more.

Edit : Thought I would add something about the gables as well:
http://blog.sa-venues.com/provinces...h-architecture/

And Cyril and friends will return home after this.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1220 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 3:10 PM
No @yavannatw the floorplans are under the heading of "take what you need to get it all shown correctly"

the 5 shots mentioned afterward mean you are allowed 5 EXTRA shots besides the necessary ones I will go up and edit that post so it is more clear
Mad Poster
#1221 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 4:13 PM
Wow. justpetro! I think you pulled out all the stops for this one! There is so much that Sims can do that they could easily spend the whole day there!

I know you brought up Cape Dutch architecture in the last contest. Great to see an example of it for your Sims.

I'm going to rip out the fireplace on a copy of the lot (you have much more leeway to place lots with flattened lots) and see if the Myshuno globe would work OK as an interactive exhibit (using move_objects, I believe). It would look really weird on the rooftop, now that I think about it. I should explain that I found those pictures in the link long AFTER I made the fireplace. If I like what I see, the exhibit doesn't impede the flow of visitors (could be a problem with indoor Myshuno players), and I think it looks OK, I'll reshoot. I'm going to have to work fast, though!

Mad Poster
#1222 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 4:43 PM
Thanks, gazania I have to admit that I have started thinking of a wine farm as a vacation hood now. But I am going to think a bit more before deciding on whether to do it or not

I don't really understand about the fireplace. It rains in the tropics and it is bound to be cold at times - I live in a subtropical area myself, between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Equator. It gets quite cold at times because it can easily rain for two weeks without stopping and there simply isn't any sun. I have lived here for 24 years and I have yet to see a winter without at least 10 days of persisting soft rain. Perhaps there are areas in the world where it doesn't get cold at all, but I am not so sure about that.
Mad Poster
#1223 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 4:55 PM
Justpetro, any chance you'd be willing to add some wiki links or something to the history of this? I feel I'll need to do some research to judge you properly since it's totally foreign to me, and I'm guessing you'll be a better judge than I am on which info is sound.

Mad Poster
#1224 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 4:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
...You've also got a lot of stone going on, which is more commonly seen in warm areas, since stone doesn't hold in heat very well....

Uhm... point of fact here...
I live in a "warm" area - actually, uber-tropical central Florida - we do NOT have stone (even brick seems out of place!) Most of our buildings were built since the 1940's, after the war, with a huge influx of builds post-Disney (1971 and later). Many of them are wood, or wood with stucco, progressing into cement block - LOTS of block built in the 70-80's! What "stone" there is is usually faux stone (Fay's Fieldstone) because our ground here is just sand and any stone would have to be imported. Now, if you go all the way back to the Spanish occupation days (St Augustine) then you will find a lot of Coquina builds (a cement-like stone made out of seashells) - but that's not really what is meant by "stone" is it?

RE: Fireplaces in tropical builds. YES! Fireplaces are nice. It gets down into the 30's on some winter nights, and it's better to just burn some wood than crank up the furnace. Many historical places also used fireplaces for cooking...

Petro! I LOVE that facade work :lovestruc
Amazing curb appeal

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#1225 Old 20th Apr 2018 at 5:08 PM
Sure, and nowhere in that sentence does it say every warm area in the world has more stone than anything else Hopefully one is able to get the gist of what I mean even if I didn't express it perfectly.

I agree that each individual thing that was slightly off is quite minor and could possibly be overlooked, but if you flip the coin and say, what makes this feel country? Not a whole lot. If you are going to go sparse deco you need to make sure everything else conveys the message, and in this case it doesn't.

Page 49 of 59