Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#326 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 6:23 PM
@ekrubynaffit, I think the number of rooms plays a part as well. One big room seems to always be cheaper than the same space divided into two, or multiple rooms. While I do think your apartments might be a little too spacious to be "cheap," the amount of inner rooms could also be playing a part as well. Try deleting your walls between the living room and the kitchen and combining the bathrooms into one room, and see how that lowers the rent.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Advertisement
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#327 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Magnolia
@Karen Lorraine that lot is stunning! Blows mine way out of the water. Fantastic job! :lovestruc
Thank you very much

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Alchemist
#328 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 8:27 PM
@NatteryakToad, from reading the article gummi linked to in the rules post, I learned that noise isn't generated as long as there is no empty tile for it to spawn from. You could swap your endtable and bed to be on the shared wall and put the mirror by the door--that way there shouldn't be any noise, if you wanted a simple fix (if you are worried about the space encroaching on the kitchen, you could also make the bed a Murphy bed).

In any case, it's a good thing I looked at your post, as I totally forgot I meant to put a mini computer lab in my public space area! I had grand ideas for the area, but I scaled it down once I settled on a lot size and then the building sizes. Hmm, I guess my coffee nook/terrace will have to swap with the arts & craft space and be an outdoor painting terrace instead. And then inside, the arts & crafts space will be a coffee/computer lab spot.

If you can't tell, I'm still not done with mine; I'm with Peni, creating unique but cohesive units is exhausting! It doesn't help that some hobbies have more deco than others. I've got 11 units with about 3 units left to decorate, though at least 2 have a furniture layout. At least now I should have enough ideas--one of my remaining units could be for an artist, since the public art space will be shrunk down a bit.

Tonight's going to be a long night for me; it'll be a miracle if I have time to test.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Forum Resident
#329 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 9:42 PM
Round 2
I wanted to make a fishing lodge with a communal kitchen, but I couldn't come up with a plan that I liked that had units large enough to justify the cost savings. So instead I made a set of cottages on a lake. The lake has three units for rent and a common clubhouse.
Unit 1: 2 story red building
Unit 2: L-shaped building with bluish siding
Unit 3: rectangular with log siding
Clubhouse: octagonal building

Some pictures were taken in build mode, some in live so that the chairs tucked in.

CC used:
recolourable open underneath deck stairs that I used last time: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=221958
I'm not sure which recolour of Numenor's stairs I used, but it's probably Michelle's: http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...hp?f=177&t=1722
Sunni's default doors and her custom doors, as I felt they worked for cottages and were cheap: http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...hp?f=174&t=3726
fanseelamb's value window addons: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6729
Mad Poster
#330 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 10:56 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 17th Jul 2018 at 4:51 PM.
17 S. Marina Street
The Nova Colonia Chamber of Commerce doesn't like me calling it a tenement. It's Affordable Working Class Housing, for pity's sake! And it's true that some of the long-term tenants have made themselves some pretty nice set-ups.
TFront

Here there be required shots:

Burglar alarms have been deliberately omitted, as this sort of building is seldom protected. Fire alarms are directly over the stove, though if the stove is in a corner it may be on either wall. (Unless I overlooked it. I blame the cabinet that fell on my head) If it's feasible to have the phone on the second square away from the entry door, it is. They do all have both.

I used 5 of my "structure" shots to give closer floorplans of individual units. Since I couldn't use my floor plans of 3C and 3D, I would like to point out that the bits of bedroom wall shared with their neighbors are blocked by a bookcase (3C) and a fishtank (3D).

Sim's eye views, 4 of each unit highlighted above and 3 structural:

I hope those pictures aren't as much work to look at as they were to post! I think I'm in compliance now. Thank you for you time.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Link Ninja
#331 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 11:43 PM Last edited by Charmful : 17th Jul 2018 at 12:00 AM.
@Peni Griffin - Nice job on the kind of grimy, city feel with the dirty walls and tiles and wow at having the patience to decorate so many units! Your first two 'sim eyes view' pics are the same image, was there supposed to be something else you were showing there or did it get added again by mistake?

@stitching - I LOVE your concept of little cabin rentals <3 Nice job on your swimmable lake, those are always kind of a pain to build but it adds so much

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Test Subject
#332 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 11:44 PM
I'm so in love with this round's entries!

@stitching Using carpet for the swimmable lake is genius! I love that common area decking! So beautiful!

@Peni Griffin Yours is so delightfully horrifying! I swear I can hear the sirens from here! It's completely disgusting and I'm in love with it!
Mad Poster
#333 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 12:34 AM
Thanks for pointing out that duplicate pic. I'm sure there's other mistakes in there, too, but I can't deal with it any more today. I'll edit some more tomorrow - and definitely reread the picture guidelines and get the number down to something reasonable/legal. Even if the judges could be expected to deal with all those pics, it wouldn't be fair to the people who can count. I'll be lucky if I haven't disqualified myself.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#334 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 12:36 AM
@Peni Griffin, the max picture total from round 2 on is 32 plus the required screenshots (gummi updated the first post). Hopefully that helps? And I can't speak for the judges, but I personally never bother with fire alarms in apartments, as apartment lot coding makes it so that whenever there's a fire, the alarm goes off automatically and firefighters show up right away. It's happened to me a few times now.

...What? Don't look at me like that. I didn't intentionally set any fires, but if one happened to occur and happened to provide some extra drama by killing someone... Well, I wouldn't be upset. But it's extremely unlikely to happen because, as I said, the fire department shows up pretty early.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#335 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 2:02 AM
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#336 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 3:02 AM
Absolutely gorgeous, Lunie!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Link Ninja
#337 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 4:32 AM
I really like this 'Artist's room for rent' vibe in the old house

Mad Poster
#338 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 5:51 AM
You know what would be interesting to see (but probably not for this contest)? I very large house completely divided up into full two-bedroom apartments. I lived in one of those once. A house on the outside, but apartments inside.
Forum Resident
#339 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 6:25 AM Last edited by kanzen : 17th Jul 2018 at 7:27 AM. Reason: don't wanna double post so might as well turn this into an entry, aye?
Default Cheap Living: Minor Manor
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
You know what would be interesting to see (but probably not for this contest)? I very large house completely divided up into full two-bedroom apartments. I lived in one of those once. A house on the outside, but apartments inside.

*sweats nervously* mine's not exactly a very large house...

The Minor Manor

A small 1x3 fancy-looking brick house converted to 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom apartments.
Just cos you're poor doesn't mean you have to look the part!

Rent:

Communal Areas:
Living Room with TV, a Poker Table, and a Piano
Gym with Shower Facilities
BBQ Area
Gardening Plot for each unit
*cough*makeout*cough*spot*cough*
Library
A game of chess on the ground floor and the top floor
Trash Chutes in the hallways
Burglar Alarms on both doors on the ground floor

Each unit includes:
A complete kitchen and dining area**
Phones & Sprinklers***
Beds with at least 6-5 energy/comfort points and 2-4 environment points
Television
Bathroom
Study Desk* & Bookshelf* (2br units only as the 1br units are on the same floor as the library)
Easel* (1br units only)
Drawers (doubles as bedside tables)

Playtest based decisions:
**Sims are...*sighs deeply* private creatures. They will cook in a communal kitchen but will return to their units to eat. Nevermind the flights of stairs between their sofa and the kitchen - these pixels would rather have privacy than avoid starvation. I did everything I could to make them use the eating facilities below but no, no.
***Alarm or not, the fire department will come. I opt for the sprinkles instead of the alarm cos the alarms are just too damn ugly
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#340 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 9:09 AM
Wow, Kanzen, you've packed a lot into that small house, well done, it's gorgeous!

Forum Resident
#341 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 10:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Karen Lorraine
Wow, Kanzen, you've packed a lot into that small house, well done, it's gorgeous!

thank you <3
I had doubts on the accessibility of each items cos of the placements but it all worked out fine.
my only regret is I never found a way to make the communal kitchens the place to be QUQ
Test Subject
#342 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 2:56 PM
Round 2 coming in just before the buzzer! I based this apartment building off of the many apartments I saw back when I attended college in Indiana, as a low-budget option for us broke college students.
Built on a 2x3 lot, this apartment building features 6 one-bedroom apartments and a small gathering area in the backyard for those weekend parties. Each unit has the same layout as the turnover of tenants is frequent and the landlord won't stand for such frequent renovations! But all the tenants have painted the walls and cabinets to their own tastes, and each has a different style. All apartments include a phone, trash can, and fire alarm for safety and cleanliness purposes. They also each have a dresser and bookshelf as I consider those essential for my sims!

Alchemist
#343 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 3:45 PM Last edited by Phantomknight : 18th Jul 2018 at 12:00 AM.
Round 2: Squalor's Square

Don't let the name fool you, the outside may be a tad grungy, but sims will be very comfortable here. Though I didn't have a particular spot in my mind, this lot was designed as a downtown low income housing complex for recent graduates, sims just moving out of their family home, and sims who are clinging to their youthful, responsibility free days and who need a little bit more time to get their finances in order. I'd like to admit though, that things didn't turn out exactly as I'd liked, as this lot continued the trend from round 1 and ended up proving to be a PITA. Never in all my simming days have I encountered these seemingly random but annoyingly persistent stair issues, but of course I have to experience them now, in the middle of a contest.

Anyway, the lot is meant to be a bustling one, with sims always around, hanging out, and there are several ways it meets that need. First, there are 11 units, so even if playables occupy 4 apartments, there will always be plenty of neighbors around to pal around with, romance, and feud with. There are four studio apartments, two 2 bedroom lofts, four 1 bedroom apartments, and one 2 bedroom, two-story apartment--and all of them are completely, 100% accessible, despite this game's darnest attempts to foil my plans. To keep all those sims occupied, there are plenty of activities on site should an apartment be too small for entertaining, including a mini arcade, reading lounge, musicians' corner, computer lab, gym, painter's terrace, an outdoor barbecue area with vending machines, a roof top deck with a campfire, and last, but not least, a fountain for those oh-so-amusing pranks. Rent picture is below, everything else will be under spoiler tags (Warning for those on slower pcs, as there's a lot of pics and they are fairly large). Because the lot is actually made up of five separate buildings, the individual building floor plans will be under their own spoilers, with unit pictures (hopefully, that makes things easier for the judges?).

Now for the apartment units. All units have a fire alarm, burglar alarm, trash chute, and phone. Fire alarms should always be above the fridge; most units have a visible phone and trash chute, but due to the angle of some of the layouts, a couple aren't visible.

And that's the end!

ETA: Pictures of Dummy floors for Buildings 1 & 2; renumbered pictures, swapped some unit pictures for ones with wider scope. Also edited so that descriptions are above their respective pictures.

Mad Poster
#344 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 4:55 PM
Okay, got my pictures reduced with 7 hours to spare! And I'm surprised (but delighted) to see that Kanzen beat my low rent! Can anybody get it down to $550 by deadline? Going once, going twice...

Instructor
#345 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 5:06 PM
By the deadline I can't, but if I were home I bet I could get under, or at least very close!

On another note, though, my condition has improved significantly, and so I might leave the hospital today! YAY!

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Forum Resident
#346 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 6:09 PM
wow @Phantomknight
I'm blown away! Marvelous work <3 It looks like a very fun and interesting place to live!
Link Ninja
#347 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 7:01 PM
@Phantomknight - I'm loving this complex! I'm always a big fan of the brick lofts, we have so many cool apartments like that where I live. Love your public spaces and the work you did for the entry archway, very cool-looking

Test Subject
#348 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 9:44 PM Last edited by Magnolia : 17th Jul 2018 at 10:57 PM.

Sunset Court Apartments:
Lot Size: 3x3
Apartment Rent: One-Bedroom - $1000 , Two-Bedroom - $1998

For this lot I wanted something with a slightly dated feel and used this building as inspiration. I had liked the dated simplicity of it. That said I'm afraid it may have been too simple. I mean I like how the apartments turned out, but the structure is a very ho-hum. It certainly doesn't hold a candle to all the other apartments this round! Damn fine work you guys! Oh well, the lot is functional, and I do like the courtyard and the landscaping. Although the landscaping is a little cheerier than I typically go for I think it turned out nice considering. Hope you guys like it!

There are 4 units, 2 one-bedroom apartments and 2 two-bedroom apartments. Each apartment comes with a kitchen, 1-2 bathrooms, living room, fire alarm, phone and either a trash can or a trash compactor(notes on locations of the essentials are in the apartment descriptions).

The common area has a grill with tables and chairs, a playground, and a chess table.

Notes:
- All units were fully playtested and every object is accessible and the apartments are easily navigable by sims without stomping. I took the sim level shots in live mode to show off the accessibility of various questionable objects. All bushes are able to be reached and trimmed. There is a lot of them but hey, it's not like the landlord has anything better to do.

- All bedrooms have been noiseproofed. Though I want to note that my entry for the last round was not noiseproofed and I didn't receive a penalty for that. I should only have 4 points for the host bonus. It's probably dumb of me to mention it but it isn't fair to those that made the effort.

- I used two plant fences for this lot, the bushes around the back and sides of the lot(by AdonisPluto found here) and a small flower fence for decoration in various places(by Rosebine found here)

- Again I used the one and two tile wall shelves as a vanilla OMSP to add deco on top of furniture. I used it mostly for the kitchen counters so I could add more deco but still have them be usable by sims preparing food.

And here are the apartments!

Edited to add: Can everyone see all the inline photos? For me flickr seems to be stating a couple of the photos are "no longer available", which is a load of crap. If you can't see them then either click on the photo for a link or look at them in the uploaded photos. I can't figure out why it's happening, sorry.

Edited to add: Got it. No clue why that was happening but editing them again and reuploading seems to have fixed it. Weird.
Top Secret Researcher
#349 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 10:13 PM
I love the arched interior windows. Are they a BV thing? A couple of your photos aren't showing up, Magnolia.
Link Ninja
#350 Old 17th Jul 2018 at 10:15 PM
@Magnolia
I really enjoy the layouts of your apartments and the nice green space at the center for social gathering. Also very clever use of the in game shelves as omsp substitutes! I was wondering how you got more than one item on the kitchen corner counters

@yavannatw - those interior arched cut outs are a part of the Torrox build set by moune999

Locked thread | Locked by: gdayars Reason: Contest over
Page 14 of 25