Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 6:07 AM
Default Possible to create wall stencils?
Is it possible to create wall stencils for Sims 3 as we were able to for the Sims 2 game, like this?:

If so, is there a tutorial for this, and can the stencils be recolorable? Would you clone a painting to make a stencil? Also, if possible, can the stencils be partially transparent?
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 11:37 AM
I don't think that would be difficult – all you need is a plane with an overlay texture.

I'm not aware of a tutorial specifically for wall stencils, but for the overlay part you could look at any tutorial that talks about changing stencils/overlays (no matter what object, the principle is always the same). I know cmomoney has one for paintings.

There is a setting somewhere, I think Inge has figured that out, that defines whether or not an object is alpha editable (like these stencils would have to be). Not sure what thread that discussion was in (but it was in this forum I believe) … if you don't find it, try looking at Inge's post history, I'm quite sure it was her who posted the explanation.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 12:03 PM
Alchemist
#4 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 12:43 PM
The thread where Inge first talked about how to make an object alpha editable is here http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...25#startcomment

It's a two page thread but the part about alphas in mostly on the first page I think...just scroll down to Inge's post.

For S3 wall stencils should be a pretty easy thing to make and you should also be able to make them so they are recolorable in-game depending on what object you choose to clone.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Apr 2010 at 1:57 PM
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 1:20 AM
I've made several. I went in and changed the mtlsrc to glass, then messed around with the settings inside until I had a nice, opaque, non-shiny result. Because it uses a glass mtlsrc, you could also do trasnparent portions as well.

You're more than welcome to clone mine and make recolors if you want, and I'll be posting a two-tile version of it very soon as well. Cloning would save you lots of work, assuming you haven't already figured out how to do it on your own.

you stare at my shoulders
are you surprised to see one more devil 
where angel wings should be..?