Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 1:05 AM
Default Good meshing with low polys?
I'm working on this coffee table and I really want the legs to curve at the bottom.

But, when I've checked the poly count it's over 7000. Any ideas how to get the curved legs without high poly count. (I'm using milkshape)
Screenshots

Stouffers3
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 1:06 AM
It's hard to say from looking at that object where all the polys are coming from. It should be doable as-is with far less.

Any place where there is a straight line on your object could be made up of just two vertices...one at each end. The only place I can see on that object where you need more is on the curve part of the legs.

Could you post a wire-frame view of your object in Milkshape?
Instructor
#3 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 2:00 AM
I agree with OM, no way should this table be over 7000 poly's...unless it's a 3D model you downloaded from a website.
They are notorious for having a high poly count, but if you make your own with curved legs, you'll find it's no more then about a 1000.

If you made this table then I really don't know how you get such a high poly count, curved legs or not.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 5:16 AM
Table with Wireframe
Screenshots

Stouffers3
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 9:08 AM
The cylinders running horizontally supporting the slats and under the tabletop do not need to have all those divisions along their length. They are straight and do not curve so they can be a single stack with maybe 8 slices. Same with the corner supports - I see about six stacks where you could use just one.

You also don't need near that much detail on the curved leg. You only need maybe 5 or 6 stacks and 8 slices. It may look a tiny bit blocky in Milkshape but in-game you'll never notice.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 9:36 AM
I'm not really in to object meshing in TS3 but can't you just do a simple "underneath" thing and then in the texture add all the tree parts (with alpha channel). If transparency works at Objects in TS3

Tumblr: Springbunnysims
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 7:29 PM
Thanks so much for the help. Here's my new screenshots. I got it down to 1020 poly count.

I always forget to adjust the number of stacks when making cylinders
Screenshots

Stouffers3
Instructor
#8 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 8:00 PM
This is basically a square object with slightly bendy legs. You can get this under a thousand easy....go on, you know you can do it.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#9 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 8:18 PM
I bet if you deleted all of the ends on the slats where they touch the side rails, and then undersides of the slats, and the ends of all the rails where they meet, and the underside of the tabletop (i.e. all stuff that will never show unless you're at a ridiculous angle), you could get it down to about 900.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.