Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 9:41 PM
I didn't buy Apartment LIfe but that was because by that point my computer couldn't handle any more ep's. I needed to buy a new computer, and couldn't afford it. I also thought the ep was about "apartment life" lol given that's the name of the ep lol and frankly apartments are boring. who cares about apartments?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 9:52 PM
The other thing, it's gotten really old hearing "very few people are interested in magic". It's pretty obvious that A LOT of people are interested in the fantasy elements added to the gameplay, so it's just patently STUPID to keep insisting that "very few" do. You WISH no was interested, as then it would be more likely you wouldn't have to hear about it, because "a few players" like yourself obviously believe the game should revolve around your own preferences instead of just finding enjoyment in whatever it is that ea does offer. I think ea ought to combine a magic ep with something you absolutely can't live without, just to piss you off LOL

This is my tongue. I am a cheeky monkey.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 10:04 PM
IF THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WANT MAGIC, EA IS GONNA MAKE AN EP WITH MAGIC IN IT, AT LEAST! IF NOT, A WHOLE EP DEDICATED TO MAGIC! if people dont want magic, either dont buy the EP, or do buy it just to get any features you want that dont have to do with magic, and just ignore the magic.

i love MTS :)

Moogloo88

The Sims 1 <3 this brings back memories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNiz...feature=related
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#29 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 10:12 PM Last edited by babele44 : 10th Aug 2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: speeeelling
You know, what I think is that EA is gradually changing their approach to the Sims and tries to abandon the EP system completely by replacing it with DLC and patching mechanics. The creation of TS3W.exe, the Generations patch containing most of the gameplay features, additional game-play in Store content which would require the base game to be modified such, however, that it can be "plugged in". Also the addition of the ContentPatch folder indicates that the Store will have more and more things that will require additional patching when the basegame code changes. I wouldn't be surprised when in the end the Sims will have a Magic EP, but only sold piecemeal via DLC. The accompanying disk, if it still exists then, will only be another SP.
Theorist
#30 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by babele44
You know, what I think is that EA is gradually changing their approach to the Sims and tries to abandon the EP system completely by replacing it with DLC and patching mechanics. The creation of TS3W.exe, the Generations patch containing most of the gameplay features, additional game-play in Store content which would require the base game to be modified such, however, that it can be "plugged in". Also the addition of the ContentPatch folder indicates, that the Store will have more and more things that will require additional patching when the basegame code changes. I wouldn't be surprised when in the end the Sims will have a Magic EP, but only sold peacemeal via DLC. The accompanying disk, if it still exists, will then only be another SP.

I love you.

That is my dream for Sims 4. To just have a basegame and EA updates the game to give us more features etc...Instead of having like 40 different discs. It would be more interesting that way and save them production costs
Site Helper
#31 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 11:47 PM
Not to mention making them even more money when they charge for all the new content piecemeal instead of giving it to us all at once for the price of an EP or SP.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 12:56 AM
Absolutely NO ONE said a FEW people are interested in magic. What we said is that many people would not buy it and therefore, it would cut the profits of EA. Many does not mean that a few are interested in Magic. I suspect more people would not buy it as you can get magic in many other games. But it may be more like half/half. Still, even if it is only 25% fewer sales, games have very narrow margins. EA is beholden to stock holders and they have had some really rotten games that have hurt them. I highly suspect that they will tag bits and pieces of magic to other EP's and store items in order to keep all their customers happening.

A lot will buy it, a lot won't buy it. Either way, more people will buy Seasons and Pets. EA is a business, not out there making games just to be nice.

As for own preferences..that is rather funny coming from someone who is demanding a specific genre in a game that is supposed to simulate life. While there are fantasy elements already in the Sims, the games have always had enough reality in them to appeal to both types of players. I am fine with magic as long as it is coupled with other things in the EP and it is not the main focus. You, on the other hand, what what YOU want, regardless of whether it would take away an EP that other people might prefer. I compromise..magic is fine as long as I don't have to use it and there are enough other elements...You want an entire EP focusing on Magic. So who is the one who cares more about what he/she wants? I don't think it is me.

I knew this would happen if I expressed my opinion on this. It seems some folks can't be objective on some things.

Quote: Originally posted by coffeebreak
The other thing, it's gotten really old hearing "very few people are interested in magic". It's pretty obvious that A LOT of people are interested in the fantasy elements added to the gameplay, so it's just patently STUPID to keep insisting that "very few" do. You WISH no was interested, as then it would be more likely you wouldn't have to hear about it, because "a few players" like yourself obviously believe the game should revolve around your own preferences instead of just finding enjoyment in whatever it is that ea does offer. I think ea ought to combine a magic ep with something you absolutely can't live without, just to piss you off LOL

Theorist
#33 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 1:12 AM

The game is a SIMULATION game, that pretty much has vary divided opinion on that, but adding a full EP dedicated to Magic is quite stupid. As said before magic is limited..If a full on Fantasy thing was fully wanted there's always World of Warcraft and many others that do just that.. I'm completely fine with them adding in magical elements and occults to bring a little feel away from reality...But not only do you have people wanting magic in the game you have these same people and MORE asking for more realism in the game. So it's a lose - lose situation tbh. But I'd rather not have a town with a castle, and fairies everywhere..They can make a new game called The Sims: Fantasy or something that's based around fantasy. I got the Sims for an escape from reality into another world to control and be the dictator of everything and everyone, and I'm sure many others got it for that as well, and not to have another World of Warcraft. (Sorry didn't see this earlier, and I'll appreciate the disagreements<3)
Theorist
#34 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 3:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Redhead Creations
That's pretty cool that you are an avid enough gamer that you play all those different types of games. But there are a lot of "casual" gamers that only play THIS game?

Should they spend another $50 (+ subscription fees where necessary) on another game just to get a magic fix?

No, I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is, if EA should make a dedicated Magic EP, I'll be passing on buying it. That's all

I didn't buy Apartment LIfe but that was because by that point my computer couldn't handle any more ep's. I needed to buy a new computer, and couldn't afford it. I also thought the ep was about "apartment life" lol given that's the name of the ep lol and frankly apartments are boring. who cares about apartments?

I do. I don't know about anyone else but I hate wasted space and frankly, a high rise building with 18 floors housing 1 single family is ridiculous. I want to have at least 4 families like we did in TS2 AL so we can interact with them. Have their kids babysit my sim kids and all that. AL was a lot of fun and in TS2 was great because if you were a builder, you could put everything on the lot - playground, pool, game room, laundry room.. etc., That's what I would like see in TS3 again. Apartment shells like we have now are just silly. But that's just me.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Alchemist
#35 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 4:01 PM
I find the comparison of Sim style magic to RPG style kind of interesting. In the RPGs I play, magic is a lot about killing things with fire (or ice, electricity, spirit blasts, etc) and sometimes for healing and casting other beneficial buffs. It's all about combat, offensive or defensive, which doesn't exist in Sims. Sims magic has traditionally been about pranking neighbors, spells that will clean up your lot, and sometimes to cast beneficial buffs (non-combat related).
I'm personally in the camp that doesn't really care for Sims magic, but it's not because I get my magic fix from RPGs. If I were interested in Sims style magic, playing a mage in an RPG wouldn't really satisfy that. They are such different modes of play.

I did buy Makin' Magic. For one, because Inge's mod that allowed you to control teleport Sims to your lot and control them required it. That was my kind of magic. But also because the magic was just one element of the EP, it also had new fruit crops to make juice with, the butter churn, the carnival stuff, a new neighborhood. I think I only ever used magic once, for a story, but I still felt like I got my money's worth.
Alchemist
#36 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 4:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
The game is a SIMULATION game, that pretty much has vary divided opinion on that, but adding a full EP dedicated to Magic is quite stupid.

I'm not a fan of magic with my sims but I'd hardly call it stupid. I'm pretty sure EA made plenty of money from Makin' Magic back in the day
Theorist
#37 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 7:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennyinbmore
I'm not a fan of magic with my sims but I'd hardly call it stupid. I'm pretty sure EA made plenty of money from Makin' Magic back in the day

keywords *back in the day*

All gaming franchise has changed since 2000
There are huge overhauls of Fantasy Games and Role Play already out there, that are more powerful than a Sims Magic Game, and give more to the users. And seeing as Sims, is the really only main option when it comes to Simulation games now-a-day, because the only other Simulation games aren't Socially Simulated, there either the out-dated RCT3, or the non-usable Sim City Series after Sim City 4, or CitiesXL, and now a mischief game from Frontier that is also rollercoaster simulation..And there are others, but non of them really get to the simplicity and ease of the Sim Franchise..And even if people are gonna buy anything that EA throws out at them, it shouldn't have to be something that won't appeal to a good amount of people as the entire basis. I don't mind Magic being a SP, or a part of an EP, but not a fully blown EP dedicated to magic..And there must of been some type of flaw with Magic as to why Sims 2 didn't have a fully dedicated EP for Magic, and I'm sure people also wanted it then, so now, people wanted it, and the same thing just may happen in either 2 or 3 forms. Store Content, SP, or part of an EP again..If Magic is a really wanted thing, and most of the people who probably want it must have played either the Sims 1 or Sims 2 series, they must have noticed a reason why there wasn't a fully dedicated EP to Magic..And really if you look at the Sims 3 line up right now, there probably won't be an EP dedicated to magic but rather it be Store Content or a SP or part of an EP as I said before, or maybe even both Store Content like the book of spells, and a part of an EP, I kinda doubt the SP part. But see the Sims 3 is more of taking the Sims 2, series and turning it into something better, or at least they throw it out to be like that, and if that really is the case, then I don't see a full EP for Magic on the mist. But if that day does come, I shall be outwitted and pwned. :P
Mad Poster
#38 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 8:01 PM
There is nothing wrong with fantasy in the game. There's already fantasy in the game with the added EPs. A whole EP with fantasy would be a nice break from all the reality in the game. If you do not want it, don't buy it.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#39 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
There is nothing wrong with fantasy in the game. There's already fantasy in the game with the added EPs. A whole EP with fantasy would be a nice break from all the reality in the game. If you do not want it, don't buy it.
That's true. Although since the Sims 2, I've noticed a trend for EP's to be more around universally appealing stuff like weather, pets. Now with Generations, Ambitions, it's gameplay features that are not as polarizing as say, a total magic EP.
With magic a lot of the players either say "OH YEEES!!" or "That's not even coming in my game!!". There doesn't seem to be an inbetween.
Meh, I forgot what point I was trying to make.
Although, come to think of it... maybe Pets is polarizing as well... because there might be players who don't care for Pets at all. But maybe that number is much smaller compared to the number of players who don't want magic in their game.

ANYHOO!! I loooooooooooove supernatural stuff in the Sims and am happy with any and all I get, I'm even excited about the new Fountain of Youth object. Even if the gameplay is something we already have.

Me, I'm piiiiiiniiiiiing for the fjoo- I mean maaaaagic.

This space intentionally left blank...
Instructor
#40 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nukael
Although since the Sims 2, I've noticed a trend for EP's to be more around universally appealing stuff like weather, pets.

Yeah, except we don't have weather yet. =)

I'm in the camp that would rather not have Pets. They were fun in TS1, but I found them pretty boring in TS2, and wonder how they'll be further ruined for TS3. I really miss Maxis, they always made sure the game had heart.

Magic in TS1 was comical, light hearted... EA probably couldn't figure out how to get that done in TS2 because they just didn't understand the game yet. Even now all they see is dollar signs.

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 11:35 PM
Pets is adding a lot more then just 'pets'. I really didn't think I would ever buy another Pets EP after Sims 2 but this one sounds great. It will add a lot of great gameplay... (and a little magic) so I think a nice well rounded pack. The horses are another mode of transportation and the smaller creatures add additional collectible items. Really, it has something for everyone...magic, realism, new mode of transportation (great for historical hoods), collectibles, most likely western decor and build items along with a possible country music station. I call that a pack that will appeal even to those who could care less about cats and dogs. Besides, they have made the animals more interactive with the environment. If they make a pack with magic as a part of the pack but also including at least an equal amount of realism....let's say a medieval pack for Sims 3...medieval build items, clothing, buy items, wizards, witches, assorted magical NPCs that can easily be left out of the game, then great. Otherwise, they will create a very niche pack and it won't sell as well.

As for the 'don't buy it', that is always an option. But what we are discussing here, according to the title, is whether EA is going to release an entire magic EP, and as Nukael said above, that would be a very 'polarizing' pack. They could do it right if they packed it with a variety of historical items..or sci fi fantasy, but it is still a stretch. On the other hand, I betcha they will be releasing more and more items through the store with magic, which is really rather nice. That way, you can get what you want. And they are even adding animations and new features through the store. I would love to see them do this with historical stuff too! That is another niche and probably the only way we will get items from EA in that niche are through store packs, like the Jazz Age and the Castle set.
Page 2 of 2