Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 10:20 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Trouble installing CEP in TS2 Ultimate Collection
Hello all. I originally posted this in HP's Stupid/Random Questions thread, but got no replies. I've looked around and haven't found anyone else complaining about this particular problem, so here it is again, in its own thread. I really hope someone can help me!

Am I the only one out there having such trouble installing CEP into Sims 2 Ultimate Collection? I tried the Manual Installation (Thankyou, Portaller, for your reply last time and all your advice. I've been fiddling with it ever since) but I've hit a major snag getting that MMAT file in the right place.

According to Numenor himself, the pathway should be: C:\Program Files\EAGames\TheSims2\TSData\Res\TS3D

This is old information though, that pre-dates TS2UC, so I read the Related Comments and found out that the TSData folder is found under FunWithPets\SP9. Plus, I want it in E drive, not C drive. So the pathway I went to put it in was this: E:\ProgramFiles(x86)\OriginGames\TS2UC\FunWithPets\SP9\TSData\Res\TS3D

Now here's the snag: I can get as far as E:\ProgramFiles(x86)\OriginGames and that is it. There is no further drop-down from Origin Games in the Program Files. I don't get it! Did I install something wrong (again!)? All the other files in CEP were no problem, it's just the MMAT file that needs to be in a spot that doesn't exist.

(The GMND file had to go into E:\OriginGames\TS2UC\Downloads and I had to create a Downloads folder there, and I did. So I'm considering that one to be done and dusted. I hope that was the right way to do it.)

So all advice is appreciated, as usual. You guys here are the best!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 7th Nov 2014 at 9:03 PM
Do you mind me asking what your E: drive is, as opposed to your C: drive? If you are using more than one drive partition, the usual method is to separate the system from data, meaning that the apps go one place and your files another.

So, the MMAT file goes on your drive that has all your applications. I do not know if the UC installs into Program files or Program files(x86), but I suspect the former. Look in plain Program files for it; the SP9 path you give is indeed the correct path.

The GMND file goes into your Sims 2 Utimate Collection/Downloads folder under My Documents in your user home directory. The same place all other custom content goes.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 8:35 PM
Rhiamom! Thankyou thankyou thankyou for your reply! My E drive is two terabytes of extra memory that I bought just for storage. My son said my game should be installed there, and only the operating systems, etc should be on the Solid State C drive, so that is what I'm trying to do.

Now when you say the apps go in one place and the files in another, I'm not sure what you mean. I have the game installed only in E drive, and I haven't been able to install anything else, like custom content. I figured I'd fix this problem of installing CEP first and slay one dragon at a time.

I don't have a Program file, only a Program(x86) file.

Is this fixable? Do I need to uninstall and start over? Sorry I'm such a dumbell about this stuff. I appreciate the help!
Instructor
#4 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Laurcleve
Now when you say the apps go in one place and the files in another, I'm not sure what you mean. I have the game installed only in E drive, and I haven't been able to install anything else, like custom content. I figured I'd fix this problem of installing CEP first and slay one dragon at a time.

I don't have a Program file, only a Program(x86) file.

Is this fixable? Do I need to uninstall and start over? Sorry I'm such a dumbell about this stuff. I appreciate the help!

I just checked my installation of The Sims 2, (Not UC, all the old stuff) and it is in Program Files(x86). Please look on your C: drive and see if the game reverted to installing in the default C: drive location instead of to your E: drive. Yes, it looks like you will need to reinstall onto your E: drive, but first be sure it is not on your C: drive. Having it in 2 places would be a Very Bad Thing. If it is on the C: drive, use the Origin website to uninstall it.

Ah, knowing that your C: drive is an SSD makes the situation clear. Yes, you definitely want all apps and all data files on that E: drive.

So the GMND file goes in E: Users/yourusername/Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection/Downloads

The MMAT file will go in E: Program Files(x86)/EA Games/... Unless Origin changed things so it goes under Origin Games instead of EA games, which I seriously doubt!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 2:39 AM
Rhiamom: I had originally installed the game on C drive, then completely uninstalled it and installed it onto the E drive. I'm certain there is nothing left on the C drive connected to Sims 2 or Sims 2 UC. (Actually I think Scriptorium is still there, but I don't think that would be causing trouble would it?)

I've moved the GMND file as per your advice. (I originally had it in E:\Origin Games\TS2UC\Downloads. I made the Downloads folder myself.)

But I've hit the same old wall with the MMAT file. I can't get it into the Program Files (x86) file because nothing drops down past Origin Games. All my game files (the individual names of the EPs) are under E:\Origin Games\TS2UC. Also, I have no EAGames folder under Program Files (x86).

I'm starting to think I goofed when I reinstalled this game. I seem to be missing crucial pathways. Is that possible? I'm getting desperate here. I've been fooling with this since September, if you can believe it! Would a complete uninstall/reinstall do anything to fix it? I'll try anything. (By the way, the game itself works fine. It's just that I can't seem to get any custom content installed, or this CEP.)

Anyways, thanks for the help again!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#6 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 2:22 PM
So Origin let you install to a different location?

How do you start the game? Via Origin or a shortcut on your desktop? If on the desktop, right click, go to file folder. This will give you the actual path of your game install, then you just need to go up the folder structure until you find the Double Deluxe folder.

Otherwise try searching. If you search for N001_Neighborhood.package it will bring up all instances on your computer, one will be the correct path. Example, I had three. One current in my docs, one clean one in my backup folder, and the one in the Origin Folder
Field Researcher
#7 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
So Origin let you install to a different location?

Install locations in Origin are freely selectable. In Origin menu choose Application settings and after that Advanced. Under Downloaded Games you can change your install location.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 8:13 PM
Yes, I start the game with a desktop icon. I right-clicked and there was nothing called "File Folder" (I have Windows 7 Ultimate) but I found an option called "Open File Location". It is E:\Origin Games\TS2UC\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin.

There was no sign of the Double Deluxe folder, so I searched that up in the Start Menu. It told me the Sims 2 Launcher is located at E: Users\(name)\Documents\EAGames\The Sims 2 Double Deluxe\Base\TSBin.

Now for the scary part!!! I also tried searching for the neighborhoods (as you suggested in your post as an alternative method) and what came up were neighborhoods that still exist in C drive! One was a package file, one a reia file (whatever that is) and the other one was a .png file.

I thought I'd gotten rid of everything from C drive but I guess not. Could that be what's causing all this trouble? I can delete those 'hoods, but how do I know that nothing else is hiding somewhere? Also, where do I go from here, regarding that pesky MMAT file?
Field Researcher
#9 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 11:13 PM
Some tips about your Downloads-folder and missing CC and other SaveGame-folders can be found here: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ownloads_Folder.

About MMAT-files says the creator:
_EnableColorOptionsMMAT.package:
This file must be copied into your *PROGRAM* installation folder (not in the Documents folder!).
In a standard installation, the exact path is C:\PROGRAM FILES\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Sims3D
but if you have changed the installation path while installing the game, it may be different.
NOTE 1: regardless your game configuration (i.e. the EPs that you have installed), the location for the MMAT file is always the one pointed out above.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 12:12 AM
Thanks for the reply, clsve! Actually, I've been over those instructions by Numenor several times, but they are for older versions and even the Manual Installation Instructions don't directly apply to UC. I've tried to follow them as carefully as possible, taking into account what people have said in Related Comments, and still I've had no luck. My problem with the MMAT file is that in my E drive, I have no Program Files, only Program Files(x86), so I tried to put it in that.

In the Related Comments it says the TSData folder is found under FunWithPets\SP9. Plus, I want it in E drive, not C drive. So the pathway I went to put it in was this: E:\ProgramFiles(x86)\OriginGames\TS2UC\FunWithPets\SP9\TSData\Res\TS3D

Now here's the snag: I can get as far as E:\ProgramFiles(x86)\OriginGames and that is it. There is no further drop-down from Origin Games in the Program Files. My C drive is a Solid State drive, so I'm keeping everything out of there except for operating systems and stuff like that. Therefore, everything has to go into the E drive, but I don't seem to have all the necessary pathways there. I don't know if that is just because I don't know enough (probably!) or if it's because something went wrong during installation. As I said before, the game itself works fine as it is now, but I can't figure out where to install custom content and this MMAT file.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 1:55 AM
Well, if under ProgramFiles(x86)\OriginGames there is no TS2UC and your launcher is located in My Documents folder, so somehow you managed to install TS2UC into My Documents folder...
Instructor
#12 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 5:48 AM
I do not believe that the proper path for the MMAT file is under Origin Games, but EA Games, as I said in my last post. You again tried to use an Origin Games path according to your post, and it did not exist. Please look for EA Games under Program Files (x86). The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection ought to be located there, and from there you find the Fun with Pets/SP9 path Numenor directs you to use.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 9:32 AM
In the Related Comments it says the TSData folder is found under FunWithPets\SP9. Plus, I want it in E drive, not C drive. So the pathway I went to put it in was this: E:\ProgramFiles(x86)\OriginGames\TS2UC\FunWithPets\SP9\TSData\Res\TS3D

MMAT-files must be placed in base-game's Sims3D-folder regardless of what EP:s you have. In your case:E:\ProgramFiles(x86)\OriginGames\TS2UC\Double Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\Sims3D

Your SaveGames-folders (EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Downloads and others) must be placed in your My Documents-folder - this is "hard-coded" in the game
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 8:38 PM
rhiamom: Nope, I don't have an EA Games folder under Program Files(x86) in my E drive. (There is one in my C drive,oddly enough, but it is empty.)

clsve: There is no TS2UC file under Origin Games. The Origin Games file is empty too.

See, that is what makes me think that something is deeply wrong with the way this game was installed, and I'll have to re-do it. If pathways that should be there aren't, that signifies a pretty big problem, doesn't it? I want to make sure I do it correctly this time, I never had any problems installing any of my sims stuff on the C drive, it's just this E drive that's driving me insane. If I reinstall the game and all the EPs on my Solid State C drive, could I still install the custom content on my E drive? Would that work? I don't want to clutter up my C drive too much, which is why I got the E drive in the first place, but it's been a flipping nightmare. And then where would I install the CEP and other stuff like Scriptorium?

In case I haven't said it lately, I really REALLY appreciate the help you guys are giving me. I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to figuring out this stuff. As long as everything goes smoothly I'm fine, but if I hit a snag I'm done for.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#15 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 1:39 AM
Hang on. You found all your EP files in E:\Origin Games\TS2UC, right? If so, that is where your game is installed. The MMAT file should go in E:\Origin Games\TS2UC\Double Deluxe\Base\TSData\Res\Sims3D.

You will have a Downloads folder in Documents\EA Games\TS2UC once you've run the game once. That is where the GMND file goes.

The only way to put your CC on your E: drive is to move your whole Documents folder there. Whether or not you want to do that is up to you, but there's no real advantage to reinstalling your game onto C:.

Luckily Origin installs all of UC at once, so it can't end up installing different EPs in different places. So I think the search result that showed up a Double Deluxe folder in Documents can be disregarded. Regarding the neighbourhood files you found on C:, the only way we can tell you if they're a problem or not is if you check exactly where on C: they were.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 10:36 PM
Nysha: Thanks for your reply! Okay, now I'm getting somewhere! I've installed the MMAT where you indicated above, and I've already got the GMND file in the right place as per rhiamom's instructions (which was the same as the advice you gave me.) So then I checked to make sure it was installed properly, but it's still not. That means there's an issue with the two "Extra" files probably being in the wrong places. I'm not surprised at this point, but hey, I feel like we're making progress. lol

This is how I checked: Near the bottom of the CEP page, Numenor has FAQs about CEP in Thread #3. One FAQ was "How can I be sure CEP has been correctly installed?" I've copied and pasted it below so you don't have to jump around on your computer or try to make sense of my garbled translation. I had to describe the Screenshots though.

***The Following is by Numenor****

How can I be sure that the CEP is correctly installed?
Start the game, open the "Buy Mode" catalog and select the Potty Chair. Compare what you see on the screen with these screenshots:

((The screenshots show how it should look if CEP has been correctly or incorrectly installed. If it's been done correctly, there should be another small picture of a potty chair underneath where it says "Can only be used by toddlers", in the same place the recolors would be if someone did recolors for that item. If it's been done incorrectly, that small picture won't be there, since the potty chair only originally comes in one color.))

Another test the you can run, is to check if the CEP files are in the proper locations; you should find:
- a file named "_EnableColorOptionsGMND.package" in the Downloads;
- a file named "_EnableColorOptionsMMAT.package" in [gamedir]\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Sims3D (regardless of the EP that you may have installed, the location of this file is always this one).
- a folder named "zCEP-EXTRA" in [Documents]\EA Games\The Sims 2.
- a folder named "zCEP-EXTRA" in [Program Files]\EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Catalog.

****End of Numenor's Bit****

When it came to installing those other two files I just sort of figured it out for myself, so I'm not surprised it's dead wrong. At the time I was following advice from people in the Comments section who were still trying to figure it out for themselves and I think that is how I got on the wrong track.

I've got the EXTRAS - My Documents file installed here: E:\Origin Games\TS2UC
I've got the EXTRAS - Program Files file installed here: E:\Origin Games\TS2UC\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSData\Res\Catalog. I think it's this Program Files one that is wrong. If I change the "Fun with Pets\SP9" to "Double Deluxe\Base" would that fix it? Is it safe to give it a whirl? I think I'm gonna go for it and I'll let y'all know how it comes out!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 10:58 PM
GRRR! Didn't work. Now I'm stumped again.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#18 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 1:25 AM
The Extras - My Documents file should be in the same place as the GMND file, but one folder up, in Documents/EA Games/TS2UC.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 9:46 AM
Okay, I moved the Extras - My Documents file to E:\Users\(name)\Documents\EA Games\TS2UC. Then I checked for the tell-tale potty chair, but it's still not there.

Did I do the right thing by changing the path of the Extras - Program Files file from Fun with Pets\SP9 to Double Deluxe\Base ?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 10:17 AM
I'm all good now! It took a huge re-do of everything I had going on, including a re-install of Windows 7. My extremely uncooperative husband (who, for some reason, hates all of my time-wasting hobbies) actually spent a couple of hours futzing around and figuring it out for me. He got the CEP installed by his usual hit-and-miss method; but Holy Crap! In the end, it worked! (He learned coding in University, when computers were young. Since then, he's been a mechanic and a delivery driver. . . so, in other words, he didn't know what he was doing, it was probably a lucky guess. lol. But I'll never say that to him!)

When we both saw that little potty chair picture we turned to each other in shock. Then I kissed him a thousand times whilst shouting "You did it! You did it!" I won't elaborate, but it was quite a scene.

Anyways, to make a long story longer, we found out later that the game had been installed in C drive, not E drive, as we wanted.

Huge Lunatic was right all along, of course. HL's comment way back in Post 6 was: "So Origin let you install to a different location?" obviously not believing it could be true. Hmm, I should have paid more attention to that remark.

Today, Hubby-Dearest, the delivery driver, went into a game-store and bragged about what he'd done for his wife's stupid game. The staff immediately said: "Origin is garbage!" (Not a shock to me or to you, I'm sure.) They went on to say that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a game to load on an extra drive from Origin. They all go to C, no matter what. (This from geeks in the know!)

Anyways, I could blah-blah-blah forever, but what I really want to say, in closing, is this: You at MTS are great and wonderful people. I think my problem is now solved, and I couldn't have done it without you. Not only are you skillful and intelligent, you are also generous with your time and knowledge.

I hope I'm done with this post, but I won't make any promises. Hubby-Dearest still has a keen interest in wiping everything off and beginning again. I may be back for more advice, but I hope not.
Instructor
#21 Old 6th Dec 2014 at 5:38 PM
I am so glad it is working! And, personally, once it was working I would be very resistant to a wipe and reinstall. But now you can enjoy all the lovely CC!

You do have the MTS Clean Installer app installed, right? It lets you install things like lots and choose which, if any, of the CC and mods packaged with the house you want. Not all places are like MTS and have all CC carefully listed and credited, and when CC is installed via a lot (or Sim) it gets given an awful gibberish alphanumeric name instead of the name the creator gave it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 11:11 AM
rhiamom: I never download lots, I always build my own: I'm a bit a snoot that way. (wink, smile, I can't do those smiley-face things)

I always thought the Clean Installer was just for people who upload things who wanted to make sure that what they were planning to upload did not contain custom content that the creators didn't want to have spread around indiscriminately.

Why would a mere downloader like me need the Clean Installer? Is there a reason? Please reply.

And as for me enjoying all the CC I've now got access to: Well, picture me dancing the hula with a big bowl of fruit on my head when I say: "Holy Smackers! I"m having a ball!"

Not only have I found all the stuff I wanted and needed (it's a long list, I won't bore you) I've managed to dig up all sorts of new stuff I've never seen before! I'm over the moon for joy
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#23 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 5:00 PM
The Clean Installer is good for keeping track of all your CC and hacks. It allows you to find and delete duplicated CC

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Instructor
#24 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 1:41 AM
rhiamom: I never download lots, I always build my own: I'm a bit a snoot that way. (wink, smile, I can't do those smiley-face things)

I always thought the Clean Installer was just for people who upload things who wanted to make sure that what they were planning to upload did not contain custom content that the creators didn't want to have spread around indiscriminately.

Why would a mere downloader like me need the Clean Installer? Is there a reason? Please reply.

And as for me enjoying all the CC I've now got access to: Well, picture me dancing the hula with a big bowl of fruit on my head when I say: "Holy Smackers! I"m having a ball!"

Not only have I found all the stuff I wanted and needed (it's a long list, I won't bore you) I've managed to dig up all sorts of new stuff I've never seen before! I'm over the moon for joy

Some other download sites are not as good as MTS about insuring creators specify what, if any, CC is contained in a Sim or lot. Clean Installer lets you see what CC the Sim ot lot contains, and choose whether to install it with the Sim or lot or not. This is good for making sure you don't get duplicate copies of, say, Freddie's Fuschia wallpaper or Lisa's Luscious Lavender lipstick.