Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
#13251 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 2:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ConvictedDreamer
Guys, I have a question about Idle Careers. I have another RL save that I play when I don't want to focus on a storyline and in that legacy the heir rolled Idle Careers and Rock Star as his career. I know the rules say we're not allowed to level the skills required for the career, but are we allowed the level those skills before the career requires it? Like I know logic is a required skill for the Music career (because I played the career before), but it doesn't actually show as a required skill yet in my heir's career tab. So would I be allowed to level it until it appears as a requirement, or will that be cheating?

mmm, I'm going to say it's okay. I know the rule allows you to skill up on your career skill before you start the career, so I'd extend that to include skilling on skills you know you'll need later but are not currently required.
I haven't played the music career in awhile, I thought the Logic skill was just for the Classical branch.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#13252 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 5:37 PM
Hmm, that might actually be the case - I haven't played with the Rock Star branch lately, only the Classical branch. I thought it would be a requirement. I guess I won't be able to help my heir after all. Thanks for the answer, in anyway.

Call me Ann, or ConDre/condre.

_~...~_
Lab Assistant
#13253 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ConvictedDreamer
Hmm, that might actually be the case - I haven't played with the Rock Star branch lately, only the Classical branch. I thought it would be a requirement. I guess I won't be able to help my heir after all. Thanks for the answer, in anyway.

I'm pretty sure Rock Star only requires the guitar skill and relationship with the band. Good luck!

BTW, I officially DETEST the private investigator career. My Gen 4 heir has gotten 11 of the 35 cases solved for her LTW and my poor sim keeps getting reset during cases or dropping cases because the person they need to talk to is no longer available. What a pain! I'm sticking to it though. She's 2 days from becoming an adult and is pregnant with her second, and last, child. Hopefully we can crank out a few more cases before she ages.

~*Keyneky*~

-Also, I can kill you with my brain.-
Field Researcher
#13254 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 9:07 PM
@Keyneky

I feel your pain. I had an investigator sim a while ago- I never completed her lifetime wish, even after I changed it to become a Chess Legend, or something like that. I still feel bad about it When it actually works the way it's supposed to, it can be really funny/fun to play
Test Subject
#13255 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 10:57 AM
I just found this legacy and it looks amazing, but I have a few things I'm a bit unsure about. I hope this is the right place to ask and that these questions haven't been asked a million times already - if they have, I am really sorry, 531 pages is just a bit of an overwhelming number to search lol

1. I just rolled using the app and then realized I haven't made my founder yet. Is it considered cheating if it's done that way around? As in would it be cheating to model the founder after the career etc (or just be "inspired" by those) that was rolled?

2. Do I roll for Gen 2 etc after the first child of that Gen is born, or later/earlier?

3. I rolled the Farmer/Nectar Maker for the Secondary Career and am wondering if these items are also allowed: cows, chickens and making Jams/Preserves (and perhaps even baking)? Since the career is called farmer / nectar maker and the bees are allowed, I thought they might be fun for it I haven't really had a chance to play with those items yet, but I think the products from them can be sold.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Scholar
Original Poster
#13256 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 1:06 PM
Welcome to the challenge! =D I'll answer your questions.

1. Pretty sure most people roll before designing the sim to fit the roll. It's not against the rules.

2. You should roll for gen2 when gen1 pops out its first kid, if not before, because there are some rolls that have rules starting from birth (like random traits).

3. I'm not familiar with the jams and such; I don't know if that's a mod you have or part of an expansion I don't have. But since we do allow the bees and nectar making, I'd say go for it if you want to. ^.^
Test Subject
#13257 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 2:26 PM
Thank you

Will make sure to roll before Gen 2 is born then!

They are all fairly recent PC items from the store, they really add a lot to the game if playing farmer sims (or, not related to this challenge, you can run your own bakery!). Plus they're just silly fun - the cow you can feed chocolate, tip over and then there you go, one chocolate milkshake for your sim lol! Really glad to hear they're allowed :D

Anyway, thank you so much for the quick answers, can't wait to get started! (and I love your avatar/picture/thingy, makes me want to rewatch that episode!)
Alchemist
#13258 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 3:54 PM
Lab Assistant
#13259 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 7:27 PM
@Marcy It is such a pain. My gen 4 also has a full house and she has a vampire romantic interest, her imaginary friend turned real ex-boyfriend and her brother living with her. I think if I make it to a day before elder and she still isn't done with her LTW I'll have the vampire bite her to prolong her life. LOL I was going to give her the age freeze potion but then she made friends with the vamp and he moved in so that solves that problem. I'm determined to complete her LTW!

@BambooEaterrr I rolled my first gen and made my founder to cater to the roll. The only time I think that would be against the rules would be if you rolled random traits otherwise I have been catering my heirs to fill the jobs they will hold as adults.
I think the farm animals and jam making would be ok under farmer/nectar maker. Have fun!

~*Keyneky*~

-Also, I can kill you with my brain.-
Field Researcher
#13260 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 7:55 AM
New chapter from my side too:

Chapter 2.16 - Turning Point

Call me Ann, or ConDre/condre.

_~...~_
Field Researcher
#13261 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 12:26 PM
I haven't posted here in ages!
@Bamboo, I modelled my founder after the rolls. I think most do. Everything gets random later on anyway. ^^

The Macaron Family - A Berry Sweet Random Legacy TS4ยจ
Twisted Color - A Random Rainbowcy TS3
Field Researcher
#13262 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 1:04 PM
@fruhurricane
@BamboEaterrr

Yeah, that's what I do, model the founder after the rolls. I know some people who blog/like writing will have a story line in mind and will try and mold their rolls to that story line/founder.
Test Subject
#13263 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 3:54 PM
Thanks so much for the answers everyone! Can't wait to start this legacy and perhaps get around to finally following some legacy stories. It would be fun to see what everyone else do with this challenge I wish I could write a blog, but alas, would probably never remember to take pictures or you know, write the story

I was wondering what you guys would recommend - making just a single founder or a couple in CAS when starting? I think it would be more fun to find someone in town, especially since I've filled it only with handpicked sims (no bland and boring sims, yay!) But on the other hand, that would mean having no control of the traits and since money is so tight in the beginning... and it takes time to find someone in town... but it's just so much fun to have them fall in love and get married. But also a little stressful with the first gen.... Argh I simply can't decide! Any thoughts perhaps?
Field Researcher
#13264 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 6:51 PM
BambooEaterr, I know you were asking about traits for your founder, but one thing I've started doing is using a random name thingy http://www.behindthename.com/random/ to decide if my founder will be male or female by setting the gender to either, and deciding what my founder will look like from the name.

Having got to day 5 of a new legacy and realised I'd failed by not having my founder live her trait by doing a virtuoso thing every day, it's start again...

I've also decided to add randomness to my choice of world by writing a list of my worlds, numbering them (1-14) & using a roller to choose my world.

So I'm now creating Stigr Linwood, single deadbeat parent to 2, who while not at work in the military will go & have bar brawls - hope Hidden Springs is ready for him!
Lab Assistant
#13265 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 10:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heatherfeather19
@Urunwa I'm catching up on your legacy! Still in the first generation, though.

Poor you for having such a long read to make. But yay, another new reader. If this continues I'll soon be up to five
Since there's so many chapters to read, and I should be working on a paper that's due tomorrow, have another chapter: 2.9 Soldier with fortune Be prepared for more sexy *cough* scenes, and even more talking. One day there might be action, but it's a looong way ahead.
Alchemist
#13266 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 4:31 AM
I know it's just a day after my last update, but I have another chapter up of my legacy. I just want to get it caught up to where I am in game.

Chapter 4: The Adventurer's Tragic Backstory
Field Researcher
#13267 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 8:54 AM
@BambooEaterrr

I've done both ways, although for rolls where I know no one in town is likely to fit the roll for the spouse (for example, having a spouse that's rolled adventurer/scuba diver for gen 1 where I'll probably not have enough money to travel to the vacation worlds and find a spouse there) I'll make them in CAS. For step children I usually just plop down the founder, wait for a suitable sim in town to have a kid or two, then have a romance with them and marry them. Although there was one time I made both the sims, but left the intended spouse in a random household and waited for her to have a kid, then married her. It's fun to find a partner you haven't made, though. I recommend both ways for sure.
Test Subject
#13268 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 10:54 PM
@LucyBorgia Thank you for the good advice! I've already decided on those things based on my last legacy - starting with a female sim, as my founder was male the last time, and playing in a custommade world that has almost all the lots I want including all the fun store ones that I never get around to placing otherwise. I've spent a long time getting it ready with the last few lots I wanted that weren't in the world already and then filling it with all custommade sims by myself or dl'ed and then thrown together in families lol. That way, no boring sims! I have bookmarked the link though, seems like it could be a great help, as well as noting the idea of randomizing the worlds. Perhaps I'll do a legacy one day where each generation live in a different, random city
Stigr Linwood sounds like he could be a lot of fun to read about, it's funny how the random rolls sometimes fit so perfectly with each other!

@Marcy Thanks for the elabrate answer I've actually made all the sims in this world/put the families together with handpicked dl'ed sims, so either way it will be a custommade sim lol! I finally decided to go with a mix of the two possibilities - I've made my founder's hubby-to-be in CAS and will place him as a neighbour. That way I won't have to struggle so much in the first gen because of a spouse with traits that don't fit well, yet still have the fun of seeing them fall in love It's wooing time lol!
Test Subject
#13269 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 1:50 AM
Hello everyone. I created a new blog at freakybloodlinerlc.blogspot.com (turns out I already had a blogger account from 2 years ago... must have been for school). I love supernatural Sims and I like how they get used in RLCs like the Brannons and the Archers, where once a few generations have passed all the sims born into the family have elf blood, dragon blood, vampire blood, what have you. They get to be special snowflakes with such a unique mishmash of heritages. So, in my legacy, every time I roll a single parent I'll be breeding in a new supernatural. Or alien. I don't have Seasons, but I could still make an alien.

Anyway, I'm going to go roll for the first generation and finish making my founder. Wish me luck!
Top Secret Researcher
#13270 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 3:08 AM
@mon1496 - LOL that's the way it always goes for me too. As soon as I post or ask about it, it resolves itself or I figure it >_<
Alchemist
#13271 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 12:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PositronicGirl
Hello everyone. I created a new blog at freakybloodlinerlc.blogspot.com (turns out I already had a blogger account from 2 years ago... must have been for school). I love supernatural Sims and I like how they get used in RLCs like the Brannons and the Archers, where once a few generations have passed all the sims born into the family have elf blood, dragon blood, vampire blood, what have you. They get to be special snowflakes with such a unique mishmash of heritages. So, in my legacy, every time I roll a single parent I'll be breeding in a new supernatural. Or alien. I don't have Seasons, but I could still make an alien.

Anyway, I'm going to go roll for the first generation and finish making my founder. Wish me luck!

Good Luck! That sounds like a fun twist.
I'm especially fond of the Archer's gnome heritage.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13272 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 1:24 PM
Turned the poor fools all blue, it did.
Scholar
#13273 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NutsAndDolts
Turned the poor fools all blue, it did.

I don't know why this made me happy but it did <3

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Field Researcher
#13274 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 5:51 PM
Update: Chapter 2.27 A Gift

I also have a query, how long does it take all your legacy saves to load? Mine's usually something like forty five minutes to an hour-ish to load up after choosing my save.

I have to join in on the supernatural love. I can't write that kind of stuff too well though, so for the meantime I'll just have my werewolves discreetly tearing up the town while the camera isn't looking, heh heh heh

eternal trash x

currently suffering through a degree, but at least i'm a woman in stem i guess

live laugh love besties x
Instructor
#13275 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 9:06 PM
Mine was taking 10-15 minutes, but I also changed towns a fair bit.
Page 531 of 676