Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2015 at 6:37 PM
Default How to convert sims 3 object to sims 4?
Anyone with a tutorial?
Got lots of items I want to keep.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th May 2015 at 8:29 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 30th May 2015 at 9:14 PM.
Here is a basic walkthrough on how to use TSRW: http://forums.thesimsresource.com/i...t-instructions/ -- that also works for TS3, so you can open the TS3 packages in it and take it from there.

Be aware you will need to make new textures, as TS3 textures work very differently from TS2/4.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 31st May 2015 at 10:05 AM
If you want to try doing the conversions using Sims 4 Studio, they have a step-by-step tutorial for getting new objects into the game here: http://www.sims4studio.com/thread/8...ackage-existing . This involves using Blender, but if you're only familiar with Milkshape it's still easy enough to follow. Just make your .obj in Milkshape and then follow the tutorial to get your .obj into Blender successfully.

As plasticbox said, there is a bit of hassle involved in TS3 conversions texture-wise, because of their dull dark greyscale textures. You'll need to either do some work to adapt them to look decent as recoloured textures, or draw new textures. TS2 conversions are a lot easier!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 31st May 2015 at 2:01 PM
That tutorial assumes that people already have an .obj ready to go. The OP needs to get their items out of the TS3 packages first -- they are not asking about new objects.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 9:47 AM
As you told the OP, they can get their item out of TS3 by using TSRW. TSRW exports the mesh to Milkshape as .wso and the OP can then export the mesh from Milkshape as .obj. The resulting .obj is a 'new item' for TS4.

(It's been a few years since I used TSRW, back in TS3 days, and I didn't use it much then either, but I think I recall it also being able to export meshes in .obj format? I may have that wrong, though.)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Jun 2015 at 10:04 AM
Off the top of my head I'm not sure if you can export a TS3 object to .obj as well, but a TS4 object you can (either to .obj directly, or to .wso and then from Milkshape to .obj but I don't think there is any advantage to that, it's only more roundabout).

However since the OP only wants to *convert* items, they don't necessarily need to do that at all .. I can't test if one could save an item from the TS3 game files directly as TS4 package (I don't have TS3 installed anymore), but what I did with TS3 CC packages is save the meshes as .wso and import them back into the TS4 project as they were.