Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 11:33 PM
Default Inventor Career?
Dose anyone have any idea where it is? My new inventor sim keeps getting the wish to "join the Invention career" but none of the rabbit holes have it as an option and it isn't listen in either the professions or Career options in the newspaper :/
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 11:22 AM
I think you have to go to City Hall and register as a Self-Employed Inventor. I got the game yesterday, and have only managed to spend a couple hours playing (after having to reinstall everything, blah), and one of my Sims got the option to become a self-employed Painter via his cellphone. I cannot remember exactly where the option was, but give the City Hall route a try ... Hope this helps

...Titanium white...
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 11:43 AM
You can do it on a newspaper or computer too, I think, but your sim still has to go to City Hall to sign the paperwork or w/e so you may as well save a few minutes and go straight there.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 7:47 PM
Go to the Science building I believe. Otherwise its just a self employed career... which I think it is.
Test Subject
#5 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 8:17 PM
Have your Sim hop on the computer, register as self employed inventor. Then buy some books from the bookstore on inventing skill. Buy the workbench under the Entertainment tab. Start dabbling. Here's a good tutorial on inventing: http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/s...ions/inventing/

Cheers,
Brandon
Eminence Grise
#6 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 8:33 PM
You have to have a point in the inventor skill before you can do this, I believe.
Instructor
#7 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 8:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bcollins87
Have your Sim hop on the computer, register as self employed inventor. Then buy some books from the bookstore on inventing skill. Buy the workbench under the Entertainment tab. Start dabbling. Here's a good tutorial on inventing: http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/s...ions/inventing/

Cheers,
Brandon

That was extremely helpful to me. Thanks!
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 10:34 PM
OOhh, Thats right. I totally forgot about being self employed. Thanks all Plus that guide is win.
Scholar
#9 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 10:56 PM
just buy the bench and choose dabble once you've made something 1st the option to register will appear in comps, paper etc.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 5:27 AM
Where are the new skill books? I've looked everywhere and cannot find them. Also, I cannot find the option to become an inventor anywhere. Not at city hall, not at the science building, not via the phone, nor the newspaper or computer. Someone said you have to own a bench to trigger the option. Well, I own the bench and even dabbled with tons of scrap and still no options anywhere. Neither does my sims seem to level up no matter how much dabbling i've done. What am i missing?
Field Researcher
#11 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 6:17 AM
Hey people, mystery is solved. I made a vanilla docs folder and the tested the game mod free and options for the Invention profession showed up in game. So the first mod i thought might be causing the havoc was indeed the rogue mod. Its this mod.....ShowHiddenSkillsWA. I have this mod for the longest time and don't want to play without it but i forget who made it but would like to find out so i can ask about an AMB update for it.

Also in twinbrook the inventor skill books showed up at the bookstore whereas before they were missing also. And when I added the skilling bookshelves to the twinbrook library, they showed up there too.

I hope someone can make a similar hidden skills mod for Ambitions.
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 10:04 AM
I'm actually liking teh whole invention concept, however, either I'm doing something wrong (which is probably true) or there's a glitch.

I'm inventing stuff, then I sell it to the consignment store, but the tally on my job progress tab is saying I haven't sold anything. Am I selling it in the wrong place?

I think I actually might have a few glitches, as I have a "go back in time" desire and when I do, it doesn't register that I've done it. -_-
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 10:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Negare
I'm actually liking teh whole invention concept, however, either I'm doing something wrong (which is probably true) or there's a glitch.

I'm inventing stuff, then I sell it to the consignment store, but the tally on my job progress tab is saying I haven't sold anything. Am I selling it in the wrong place?

I think I actually might have a few glitches, as I have a "go back in time" desire and when I do, it doesn't register that I've done it. -_-

Yay! (well not really - sucks it's not working) someone else is having the same problem. I've got a cc free clean install and am also not getting credit for the consignment store sales despite selling shedloads of my junk.

I've resorted to making a note of what's sold and how much profit I've made and when I reach the next amount turning on 'testingcheatsenabled true' and dragging the bar up manually to get to the next level. Wish it worked properly though.

Edit - by selling I mean the consignment store lady pops up and tells me how much stuff sold for. It is actually selling and I'm getting the money, but it doesn't track on the career tab.
Inventor
#14 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 10:29 AM
It only tracks if you sel it directly fro your inventory or buy mode.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 10:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Axe Gaijin
It only tracks if you sel it directly fro your inventory or buy mode.

I'll have to give that I try Thanks! Although I'm sure the in game help prompted me to go to the consignment store in the first place. Either way, if it works then great, I hate having to 'cheat' so early on in the expansion.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 1:39 PM
I have a question about the items the inventor picks up. I can replace it for a certain price, but it is more to replace than to buy brand new. Example the cheep dineing chair is like 70 simolions new and it it 150 something to replace. Why is that. Is it a glitch? I have an inventory full of furniture, but no money to make it worth while.
Instructor
#17 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 1:51 PM
The salvage items are just for blowing up.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 1:55 PM Last edited by Kindergoat54 : 6th Jun 2010 at 1:56 PM. Reason: typo
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
You have to have a point in the inventor skill before you can do this, I believe.

I think you do, and that goes for all the self employment style careers, as far as I can tell. I tried this out yesterday and when you go to city hall for self employment, the only options that come up are the ones in which you already have a skill.

Does anyone know which is faster,reading the inventor books or skilling on the workbench?
Field Researcher
#19 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alyria80
The salvage items are just for blowing up.

Thank you, but darn it, I wanted a home I could decorate with found items. I thought it was a bug at first, because it was so expensive to replace than to buy new. Oh well so much for that idea.
Test Subject
#20 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 3:40 PM
Has anyone found the area that life fruit seeds will spawn up around in Twinbrook? I've got an inventor who is up to the point where he needs 10 life fruit to make a sim-bot but I can't find a single life fruit seed, just lots of flame fruit and death flowers.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 3:42 PM
I was disappointed that my Inventor couldn't "refurbish" the salvaged stuff. It'd be fun to "restore" an old dresser or sofa. Maybe your Sim would have to pay 1/2 price or so and then the item is usable and you can fix it up in CAST. I salvaged about 20 items before I read here that they were useless (other than blowing them up, which "pays off" better when done to trash heaps (or other people's cars) )

Lou_knee -- I've found Life Fruit seeds in the same places as Death Flowers/Flame Fruit -- also a Money Tree seed first thing -- I think it's just luck of the draw as far as what you get ... keep collecting and planting special seeds until you get what you need.
Test Subject
#22 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 4:47 PM
Lou_knee I think I found them in the misty/swampy area. Use the Collectors butterfly thingie if you can, it makes it easier.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 5:04 PM
Can you register as self employed w/o Ambitions?
Test Subject
#24 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kindergoat54
I think you do, and that goes for all the self employment style careers, as far as I can tell. I tried this out yesterday and when you go to city hall for self employment, the only options that come up are the ones in which you already have a skill.

Does anyone know which is faster,reading the inventor books or skilling on the workbench?

To me it seems like using the workbench is faster, plus you get to sell what you make so a profit comes with your skill increase. However the drawback is that you need the scrap to invent and make things. Although a higher skill doesn't mean that new inventions are just "known" to yuor sim, you still need to invent them. So... workbench!
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 7:04 PM
Thanks lavav. I kind of suspected the workbench was better.
Page 1 of 5