Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#51 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 1:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ala1006
How do you guys keep track of all the sims in this challenge? Also, if I play with aging off (without awesome mod), will my elderly sims die on their own or do I have to kill them off? And lastly, am I supposed to play just the founding lots throughout all the eras or do I play every lot? It seems like by the time the second generation grows up I will have about 15 lots to play at least.

What I do when I play TS2 style like this is that I use notepad or a notebook or something. Write down my lot name, or household name (do not use the same household name twice then) and I make a tally mark after each play of the household. I did the same with the days per person, but it got really complicated so I got Awesome Mod.

You will have to... Dispose of the elders when aging is off.

Ideally you would play every single household. However, you can tweak the rules to suit you better. If any aspect of the challenge becomes an inconvenience or you just hate something, you may disregard or change it.

Sorry about the late reply.

Still is the water green and thick,
He'll drag you under with his stick,
See flaxen gold floats there through the mist,
He killed someone's daughter with his wick,
An arm with grey skin bobs slowly in the pit.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 2:26 AM
I am loving this challenge, I am in the renaissance period. Seriously thanks for this challenge!! My sims keep joining jobs that I don't want them to though.. Any ideas?
Test Subject
#53 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 7:38 PM
Default Great!
Quote: Originally posted by Stripes_of_Doom
What I do when I play TS2 style like this is that I use notepad or a notebook or something. Write down my lot name, or household name (do not use the same household name twice then) and I make a tally mark after each play of the household. I did the same with the days per person, but it got really complicated so I got Awesome Mod.

You will have to... Dispose of the elders when aging is off.

Ideally you would play every single household. However, you can tweak the rules to suit you better. If any aspect of the challenge becomes an inconvenience or you just hate something, you may disregard or change it.

Sorry about the late reply.

Thanks! I started with a pen and paper and I was worried that it wouldn't work out, I might do an Excel sheet also.
Test Subject
#54 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 7:43 PM
Default Bathing
Another question, I didn't see a shower listed as part of the items we can have in the beginning. Do the sims get clean if they go swimming in the ocean or will they just always have the smell coming off them? I had a shower when I first attempted the challenge, since I am starting over I am going to play without a shower I was just curious and I won't be able to start it for a few days.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#55 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alyssa.monson98
I am loving this challenge, I am in the renaissance period. Seriously thanks for this challenge!! My sims keep joining jobs that I don't want them to though.. Any ideas?

It's been awhile since I've played the game, I'm reattempting the challenge and making the sims now. But, if I remember correctly if you have NRAAS storyprogression, it should go something like clicking the sim and open the storyprogression menu, then choose the sim category, go to careers and there should be an option among the lines of "Allow Find Job" and then you click on that to make it false. You have to do that to every single sim though, but they shouldn't change their career anymore afterwards.

Quote: Originally posted by ala1006
Another question, I didn't see a shower listed as part of the items we can have in the beginning. Do the sims get clean if they go swimming in the ocean or will they just always have the smell coming off them?

Oh! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. You should be able to start with the cheapest shower. I added that in there now. I had to try the swimming in the ocean thing and I am sad to say that sims do not get clean afterwards. I always assumed that they could... But yea, you can start with a shower.

Still is the water green and thick,
He'll drag you under with his stick,
See flaxen gold floats there through the mist,
He killed someone's daughter with his wick,
An arm with grey skin bobs slowly in the pit.
Test Subject
#56 Old 26th Aug 2013 at 8:18 PM
Ahhhhh! I have to try this. I love long challenges. And when they are well detailed, much more. I'm going to create my founders right now
Test Subject
#57 Old 28th Aug 2013 at 8:22 PM
Well I started over again! Everything got wiped out! Unfortunately since I have played the Neanderthal stage 3 times (restarted and lost my file) and am starting to get bored with it but I am sticking through because I am so excited to get to the rest of this challenge!
Test Subject
#58 Old 17th Oct 2013 at 3:24 AM
awesome

CODE LYOKO <3
MUSIC <3
BEST FRIEND <3
Test Subject
#59 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 10:26 PM
Hey this looks really awesome, I've been looking for a challenge like this. I have started a blog to document the progress of my families. Feel free to take a look http://testoftimenewhaven.wordpress.com/ Good luck to everyone else trying this out, I'd love to hear how your families are doing.
Test Subject
#60 Old 2nd Dec 2013 at 10:44 PM Last edited by jckgwk : 4th Dec 2013 at 9:04 PM. Reason: change of question
so who has an updated blog on this challange and can you give a list of costom content perfect for this challenge
Test Subject
#61 Old 31st Dec 2015 at 3:14 AM
I have recently deleted all the lots in one of the worlds. (I can't remember which) I will start it soon! I can't post pictures but I'll still write about my gameplay. Does anyone know about any custom content that doesn't bug my game that works with this challenge?
Test Subject
#62 Old 28th Aug 2016 at 3:32 AM
Starting this one tonight!
I love epically long challenges, so I am gonna give this one a shot. My computer is old and slow so I'm going to try it mod free.
I'm tweaking it a bit by adding death from childbirth in the early stages of the game. Also adding an American West Expansion 3 generations as well as 5 generations from Victorian Era to modern day ie 1970s etc, because I have the 70s, 80s and 90s stuff expansion.
Also, love the added rules for supernatural. Going to add vampires to the mix. May also add a little Dark Shadows type story line later down the line!
Anyways, now I know what I will be doing for the next few months! Thanks for sharing this!
Mad Poster
#63 Old 28th Aug 2016 at 11:17 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 28th Aug 2016 at 11:37 AM.
This challenge really puts into perpective how far we've come, especially in terms of women's rights...imagine if our modern female Sims had to marry, stay at home and get as much children as they can, all without ever socializing with the opposite sex. Last time I wanted a Sim lady to settle down, she turned lesbian and decided she was going to be a business executive.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Test Subject
#64 Old 13th Dec 2016 at 9:03 AM
Default How do you farm
I'm gonna do this, but I have a question. How/where do you create the farms? Is it in the lot or a community lot? If a cummunity lot, how do you make one?
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 6th May 2017 at 7:04 PM
I have a question, I don't really like challenges that include switching between families but I wanted to give this one a try, but I'm unsure how hard this challenge is. I have never gone up to 20 gens before, so is there any advice on how I should go through this challenge?
Field Researcher
#66 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LoveViolet
I have a question, I don't really like challenges that include switching between families but I wanted to give this one a try, but I'm unsure how hard this challenge is. I have never gone up to 20 gens before, so is there any advice on how I should go through this challenge?
@LoveViolet
Get NRAAS Mastercontroller, Story progression and Register (to control populations like paparazzi and pets more carefully). Set to Sims 2 style aging, or tweak settings to control who can marry who. In Neanderthal it's not as important to control marriages other than no NPCs, but in Roman and on there is a Caste system which can be made very intuitive. I might just export/ upload my settings because it took a lot of tries to get that right! Basically in Roman by using the caste system I can even control the likelihood a sim will cheat on their spouse (it's higher for the Emperor class for example), you can also assign traits to castes so all my Slaves have fertility treatment- there's a lot that can help you with the town this way even if you want it to age the normal TS3 way.

Someone had a fun suggestion about using the Roman era to travel but do yourself a favor and Don't, (unless you've extensively played with NRAAS traveler mod that reduces corruption but I don't have a long experience with that mod). I created a world for this challenge and by Gen 3 had some corruption issues from deleting imaginary friends and paparazzi, so be very careful with what you do if your game needs to last until gen 20. I basically moved my entire town one family at a time to another world using the bin.

Also, about shorter generations as someone else suggested early on my feeling is don't do it, but that's because it's so much work to redesign houses in the town to look like the new era and I'd rather get to actually play the game lol. But I LOVE LOVE this challenge, it's held my interest for years and I still play it, I'm nearing my 600th save now I believe.

Some pics of Rome are below and I have a Let's Play series in my signature if you want to see it in action (I lurk on the TS2 thread for this though usually). But feel free to message me any questions too because I've tried a lot of things with it.

@The SimmingLover The farm and a small pond can be placed on your initial family lot (original rules called for each family to have a 20 x 30 starting lot but if I did it again I'd start with 30 x 30 because they grow out of it quickly. If you create one lot, save it to bin and everyone gets the same lot it's the simplest way to start. with nobody having a random advantage- keep in mind the family with the least amount of money in gen 4 is automatically slaves/ lowest class for a good part of the challenge. I had a glitch with a pet adoption where I couldn't play a family and they had less kids as a result, and became slaves. I'd start without pets honestly too.

The first three gens aren't supposed to leave the homestead, but I made an exception for a grocery store rabbithole (I placed stairs in a simple shack like building and plopped the actual grocery in the basement using the moveobjects cheat. As long as sims can get from the stairs to the rabbithole entrance it works perfectly. I allowed them to only visit this lot, and I think a beach so they could fish and meet each other to date.
Screenshots

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Page 3 of 3